This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

New Motorola GPS Systems

offthegrid 91 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
CNET reports and the website confirms connected gps systems from Moto with Google local search - "streaming traffic", "voice powered search" powered by Bing (must be for stuff resident on the unit? because this has no charge), weather updates, flight reports, safety camera alerts

3D landmarks, lane guidance (Navteq? TeleAtlas?) I'm betting TeleAtlas.

Here is the kicker - CNET reports that the system uses Airbiquity just like Ford does for the Sync traffic so NO DATA plan is necessary but there is a charge after the first three months - no details. Can you make a call while this gathers data? I wouldn't think so, maybe though who knows?

This would be Inrix traffic a la the Ford Sync as it appears everything has to come through Airbiquity.

Motorola TN765T

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/MOTONAV/ci.MOTONAV-TN765t-US-EN.alt

TN560T

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Car-Accessories/Navigation-and-GPS/ci.MOTONAV-TN560t-US-EN.alt

TN555

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile+Phone+Accessories/Car-Accessories/Navigation-and-GPS/ci.MOTONAV-TN555-US-EN.alt

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10430501-269.html

Comments

• gatorguy 326 Points
    I think Tim might be preparing some comments on the MotoNav. He did check it out. :wink:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Yes, I'll be talking about it soon. But to clear up one question (notably because another site got it wrong) no data plan is required from your phone. It uses your phone like an old analog modem. Basically via Bluetooth the GPS will tell the phone to dial a specific phone number, then "listen" for the recording and analyze the audio, converting it into data. So that's how it gets weather, traffic, etc.

In a way it makes sense to do that-- the packets of data are small and it doesn't require a data plan on your phone... it only uses minutes. But just how often are you going to press the traffic button to ask the GPS to dial up your phone and download new traffic data.

I tried it out and the call/download works fast, but I think most people want data continuously updated without prompting.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    If the rumored prices of $400 and $500 for the two models is accurate, that might make them not quite so attractive. The difference in the way these access live services (via your standard voice plan using Airbiquity tech rather than smartphone data or built-in sim) would seem to appeal most to those who can't afford or refuse to pay for the higher priced data plans or monthly subscription fees. In other words, those who run a tighter budget. But the high initial device price, roughly the same as Garmin's free for two year 1690, coupled with an ongoing subscription after three months, might make these a little tough to sell to that crowd. But the prices are just rumors and not confirmed by Motorola. And the subscription prices are still a question mark too.

FWIW, this will probably be the year of the connected pnd, with new subscription devices expected from Garmin, TomTom and perhaps even Magellan, and other smaller or new guys jumping into the game as well..
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I expect your pricing rumors to be correct. ;) Motorola was pretty clear these devices would be expensive. In terms of the hardware and design, these are the sexiest GPS devices I've ever seen. However there is another nagging issue... I think these are also running iGo from Nav-n-go.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just looked at the 765t. I've never seen an LCD panel in that aspect ratio. They aren't kidding when they say "cinematic"... forget "widescreen", these qualify for Cinerama at 2.38:1. Cool, but kind of an odd proportion for a GPS.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The concept they are promoting is that you can change settings and access certain features while still having a smaller moving map available. So the passenger could be adjusting settings or downloading weather while the driver can still see the moving map.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I think these are also running iGo from Nav-n-go.
    That's also what I saw.
  • dhn 336 Points
    The concept they are promoting is that you can change settings and access certain features while still having a smaller moving map available. So the passenger could be adjusting settings or downloading weather while the driver can still see the moving map.
    Huh! Shouldn't a gps unit be facing the driver for best effectiveness? I mean I know that built in's face out. Even still ....
  • GPS Business News reports that the traffic is Navteq and free with ads like the Garmin from an RDS-TMC antenna.

So the only things a phone would connect for would be weather, Google search, gas prices and safety camera alerts (not sure how 'alerts' would work though since its not online 100% looking for safety cameras).

This would cut back dramatically on the need to connect and really add google search to phones with no data plan albeit at a yet undisclosed price point.

At $500 though the Garmin 1690 with no monthly fee for 2 years (I've seen it for $340) is a better deal as is the TT 740 although their fee must be more @$10/mo I would think.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    IMO, Motorola getting into the GPS business makes about as much sense as Garmin getting into the cellphone business. :roll:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Keep in mind these are not Motorola's first GPS devices. :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The fact that I didn't know that reinforces my opinion.... :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Also... Garmin is not new to the cell phone business either:

http://www8.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/022201.html
    February 22, 2001

Garmin® Introduces New GSM Cellular Phone/GPS for Europe

Olathe, Kan. - Garmin Corporation, a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), a leading manufacturer of navigation, communication and information electronics, has unveiled a new GSM cellular telephone for Europe — introducing the NavTalk® II GSM.

This product combines a European GSM cellular telephone with the proven ability of Garmin's 12 parallel channel GPS receiver. The GPS component of this product will allow users to see their location on a detailed basemap. In 1999, Garmin introduced the world's first GPS-equipped cellular telephone, the original NavTalk, for the analog AMPS market.
    Everything old is new again. :)
  • edit Tim already had this up on main page.

-----------------------------------------

Interestingly enough (in light of this back and forth) Garmin has opened a new facility in Raleigh, NC for research and development

"Garmin said the new facility will help the company's efforts in the wireless and mobile handset market."

http//economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/5542
  • mvl 191 Points
    Yes, I'll be talking about it soon. But to clear up one question (notably because another site got it wrong) no data plan is required from your phone. It uses your phone like an old analog modem. Basically via Bluetooth the GPS will tell the phone to dial a specific phone number, then "listen" for the recording and analyze the audio, converting it into data. So that's how it gets weather, traffic, etc.
    Seems like the wrong approach for the US market. Currently nearly all consumer data plans are all-you-can-eat, and most voice plans have max peak minutes. Hopefully there is an option available to run on the data side of your phone.

There are those without data plans, but I assume that demographic is also the type that purchases limited voice plan minutes.
  • mvl 191 Points
    edit: Tim already had this up on main page.

-----------------------------------------

Interestingly enough (in light of this back and forth) Garmin has opened a new facility in Raleigh, NC for research and development

"Garmin said the new facility will help the company's efforts in the wireless and mobile handset market."

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/5542
    Garmin is listed as an exhibitor in the upcoming Barcelona Mobile World Converence (a cellco trade show) in mid February. So I'd presume they've got some type of Nuvifone successor up their sleeve.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Also... Garmin is not new to the cell phone business either:
    And Nokia's not new to auto navigation :)

http://www.nokiantyres.com/history-in-brief
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Garmin is listed as an exhibitor in the upcoming Barcelona Mobile World Converence (a cellco trade show) in mid February. So I'd presume they've got some type of Nuvifone successor up their sleeve.
    Yes, they should have an Android announcement. But no info yet on which version of the OS.

Also may announce a WinMo device to be released later in the year. Supposedly 5 new phones in total this year under the Garmin/Asus branding, but no specifics posted. Garmin is really good about controlling info about upcoming products. Seldom is anything leaked unless Garmin wants it to appear that way. They're like Apple in that regard.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Motorola Motonav (new models) now available at Amazon.
  • dhn 336 Points
    So, $30 for lifetime maps, it seems. Interesting price point.
  • Where did you see $30 for lifetime maps?
  • dhn 336 Points
    In Tim's link, the difference in price between the 2 models, one without the maps and one with, appeared to be just $30.
  • Oh, you are referring to lifetime traffic, not lifetime maps. That's where I got confused.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    Did a quick scan for the on-going price of the MotoExtras but didn't find it ... anyone see that?

I'd expect it to be pretty low since it looks like Moto is piggy backing on your cell phone data plan.

[edit] ... i see $50/yr from Tim's review. Not bad but there's probably good margin in that since they aren't paying for the data infrastructure as far as i can tell
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Or you can opt for $100 for three years.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    even better. thanks