This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Map updates available for 3000T/3050T and 6000T

jmace 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Map updates are available for $79 less $20 discount (thru 31 Dec) via the Magellan website at www.magellangps.com for these 3 GPS.

Jim

PS - sorry for additional post, but other was for 3000T only.

Comments

• Has anyone been able to determine the Version Date of the map update? I noticed on the FAQ for the 6000t regarding map updates it shows Q32006 in the screen shots. That does not sound like much of an update. I called tech support but all they could say is it is Version 2!!!!! Horrible tech support.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I believe that is the same version that Garmin calls "2008".
  • Where are you getting that info from?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Garmin told me that their "City Navigator NT 2008" product is based on the Q3 2006 or Q4 2006 release from NAVTEQ.
  • Are updates that are a year or older the best that can be expected?

I purchased a Garmin 320 in Nov 06 and it had v.8 which was dated 1 or 2 Q 2006 if I recall correctly. I know when I returned the 330 and bought the 6000t in Feb 07 I was very dissapointed that the maps were q3 05 which were older than the Garmin maps. I would expect that Garmins v.9 2008 are 2007 based maps.

I would hope that the new magellan maps are at least 2007 based but I won't hold my breath.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Are updates that are a year or older the best that can be expected?
    I sure hope not, but in the case of Garmin with the 2008 maps it appears so.
  • I received a map DVD and autorization code, but have been unable to get it to work. I tried to install the maps, but the software will not accept my authorization code. The reason is my serial number starts with a “0″ and is 13 digits long, which is what I provided to Magellan when I ordered the software. The problem is the map software automatically detects the serial number, but it drops the leading “0″ and makes it a 12 digit serial number instead of 13. You can not modify the serial number, it is detected by the software. I can not get Magellan customer service to understand this and they keep telling me I provided the wrong serial number. Has anyone been able to get the maps updated on a Magellan 3000T and if so, how? Thanks in advance for any responses.
  • Did you read the FAQ? http//www.magellangps.com/support/product.asp?prodid=1272

I don't see anything about serial number.

Please let us know the map date once you get it figured out.

Thanks, and Good Luck.

What a horrible company!!!
  • I'm currently waiting for my Dvd to update my map. I check my map version and it shows -Q32005- i assume that means 3rd quater of 2005 would be the last update version.I also check my serial number ,it begins with a zero just like the person above stated . I'll keep you inform if I have any problem loading the information from the Dvd. It should arrive on Monday according to FEDEX tracking . Order it on Sunday from magellan webpage and had to call today to find out that ,it only went out today. LONG TIME FOR SOMETHING COMING FROM TENN. TO PA. :( :evil:
  • The Q305 is the date of the map that originally came with the GPS. Let us know what the date of the "New" map is when you install your new dvd.

P.S. What were the shipping charges? I saw on another site they charged $20 for shipping!!!!!!! ( Maybe that was for fedex? Were there less expensive options?
  • WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED OF THE MAP VERSION AND INSTALL . I JUST CHECK MY STATEMENT AND IT SHOWS A CHARGE OF SIX DOLLARS FOR SHIPPING, TOTAL CHARGE $65.99 :?
  • More bad news, looks like Magellan has stopped selling the update due to technical difficulties users are having with the update. See link

http://www.magellangps.com/products/tech.asp
  • O'BOY IS THIS ANYWAY TO RUN A COMPANY. WOULD BE GOOD PR IF THEY WOULD NOTIFY PEOPLE OF THESE PROBLEMS BY USING THE E- MAIL ADDRESES THAT THEY ALWAYS ASK FOR IN THE COURSE OF CONVERSATION. ALL IT WOULD TAKE IS A GENERAL STATEMENT TO ALL OWNERS OF A CERTAIN MODEL .DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE PROBLEM IS .DON'T THEY HAVE QUALITY CONTROL PERSONAL THAT RUN TEST ON THESE THINGS BEFORE RELEASING :oops: :oops: :evil:
  • Hey guys, update on my Magellan 3000T map update issue. It seems I must have been one of the first to have the issue with the leading "0" being left off when the software detected the unit's serial number. Basically, I have not gotten any further with Magellan's technical service help desk, BUT I did send an email to the corporate headquarters just telling my whole delima and how frustrating it is to have a great unit with such poor customer support. To my amazement I received a call from a Magellan Quality Assurance Engineer ( I would have thought that term to be an oxymoron until I received the call) and he sent me an email with a new autorization code with my serial number minus the leading "0"... it worked like a charm. I now have my unit updated, took a few hours, but I expected that. The new map GDF version is Q306. I checked a few of the newer roads that were not on the old map version and they are on there now. I am back to being a vey happy Magellan customer (How quickly we forgive and forget when we are happy with our toys). I hope that they can get their customer service situation worked out. Oh, by the way, the map upgrade kits includes an AC charger (which I already had) so I didn't feel the cost of the update was a bad as I first thought. Good luck with everyone else getting their units upgraded. IF you run into issues, post a reply and I will get with you to get you the email of the person who assisted me. I would rather not post his email here public, but would be will to provide it to you by email one on one. On the road again... (Music Playing) Thanks all.
  • Correction to my above post. I sent a FAX, not an email, to the Magellan corporate offices. My bad! Could not find a "feedback" email address or phone number, so I just blindly sent a FAX out of desperation.
  • Thanks for the update.

I for one am pretty disappointed with the date of the "New" maps. I guess we have no choice and the cost is not too bad, except to consider Garmin gives the first update gratis.

Let us know how up to date the roads and poi's are when you use it more.

Thanks again.
  • I think I realize what Magellan is up to with these updates. The Maestro line which came out in February has had the same Q32006 map set since February. So now that they are ready for next years models to come out in a couple months, they sell us last years maps. With Magellan, you need to buy new unit every year to have the latest maps. Magellan does not play fair!
  • Ok Guy' s Here we go .I just received my Dvd , follow the instructions ,enter the authorization number that was given to me, and what do you know it does not work .I get a message that read's ,"authorization number not recognized'.Tried entering with upper case , lower case, letters in place of zero's ,nothing . Having cover all angles ,I then put a call into our friendly 'Magellan Tech Support '. I explain the problem and was told that they have been getting calls and there is a technical problem ,he did not go into detail. I was ask for my telephone number and was told that I would receive a call from one of their techs . My question is this.If they have been receiving calls about this problem, why not give out a special number to call for this information ,or created a generic number that will work on all the current updates and then create new codes for the next edition ,a year from now or whenever the next update is issue . Another option is send new numbers to anyone that has regiister there unit , by e-mail. Why should I have to sit and wait for some one to call me ? They had no problem accepting my money ,for something they knew that was a problem. :evil: :twisted: :!: :?:
  • The real question is why do we buy this stuff from a company that treats its customers like crap!

There are companies with real customer support. We have to stop acting like sheep.

I would not buy another magellan product unless this situation changes significantly. I was ready to buy the update but from what I've read, and due to the age of the maps, I may just get rid of this POS and look for something new on Black Friday.

:x
  • I can understand your feelings. My self I won't give up that easily . I'll continue to call until I get the right answers and also like the other gentleman I will send a" POLITE BUT DIRECT "letter to the corporate office, to let them know of my dissatifaction with how this situation is being handel.People at the top don't always know the full story , sometimes you have to enlighten them. :? Again I'll keep you all informed of the situation . Again, Tim 'Many Thanks for having this forum ' .It has become very informative and helpful. :D
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Glad to help however I can. :)
  • Philly, Let us know if you make contact with Magellan's corporate office. I tried calling all afternoon and just get a fast busy signal. If you get someones email or direct phone number let us know so we can pile on.
  • jmace 0 Points
    At least you are getting customer service to answer!

I ordered the update - and I also have a preceding zero in my serial number - so the upgrade wouldn't accept my code.

I have called several times within the stated business hours to customer support at 866-339-1488 and I get a recorded message to try the website...and a statement that customer support is closed...and that the support hours are from x to x pacific time....then disconnected. This at 3PM ...8AM...and 10:40AM pacific time.

hmphhh!
  • jmace 0 Points
    I should mention that the customer support number is the one provided on the paperwork that came with the upgrade. I am now (on hold) trying the main Magellan customer support number 800-707-9971.
  • Same problem here trying to update my roadmate 800.

The update program doesn't detect any leading zeros.... If I Q/A'd my software like that before a major distribution, I'd definitely be out of a job and blacklisted. :?

Feel sorry for the poor sap :oops: , christmas is coming.
  • jmace 0 Points
    Well - after a LONNNNGGG hold on the customer support line...and being shifted from one Indian person to another....I was told that they had escalated this to a supervisor, and that I will be called in 24-48 hours with a new code. We'll see.
  • Mace , I really don't want to rain on your parade ,but that is exactly what I was told ,over three day's ago. Sorry buddy. Hope I'm wrong. I just sent an e-mail through their support group .Just a way for me to vent my anger. Will keep you posted of any new happenings. :evil: :twisted: :?:
    PHILLY
  • I'm having the same problem, with the zero.
    And no help from the Indian call center from magellan!
    Can we fix the serial number problem by changing it in the
    registry or somewhere in windows ce???
    I'm almost ready to send back the update and do a chargeback on
    Magellan. Since I have had the unit from January it has been totally
    useless, I live in Las Vegas, it has grown very fast, and the maps it
    came with where like 5 years old, roads that were built that long ago
    dont show up!!! So now I pay for the update, and I still have no useful
    maps :evil:
  • TIM , JUST NOW FINISH YOUR REVIEW OF THE NAVIGON 7100 .I FOUND IT VERY INTERESTING AND FULL OF INFORMATION. IT IS QUITE FUNNY ,AS I WAS READING ABOUT THE 7100 IN AN ADVERTISEMENT JUST THIS AFTERNOON. BUT THE MAIN REASON THAT I'M SENDING YOU THIS MESSAGE ,IS THE ALMOST UNBELIVEABLY QUICK REPONSE THAT YOU RECEIVE FROM A REPRESNTATIVE THAT ACTULLY WORK AND HELP WITH THE PRODUCTION OF THIS UNIT . THAT IS AMAZING THAT SOMEONE WOULD TAKE THE TIME TO ANSWER AND CORRECT SOME OF THE QUESTIONS THAT WERE PRESENTED.THIS GENTLEMAN SHOULD BE APPLAUDED.OTHER COMPANIES ,eg;MAGELLAN , SHOULD TAKE MORE PRIDE IN THERE WORK AND COMPANY
    PHILLY 8)
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Yes, I was glad to see that as well. I sent him a note, thanked him for taking the time to comment, and told him how I wished other companies were as proactive.
  • Have the leading zero problem - thanks to this forum, was able to determine that the problem was not in my typing - contacted support via email on Monday - got back a reply that I needed to call their support center - did so Tuesday - was assured that I would receive a new code within 48 hours - contacted them again this morning (72 hours and no code) - was assured that I would get a new code within 6 hours (after I convinced them that the problem was not that "you have sent your unit in for repair and want to know the status"!!!)
    Well, its at the 6 hour mark now, and no code.

Whoever this person is that has been so responsive to some of you, please let me know his/her email or fax - perhaps they can help me get out of the call center help (or not help) loop.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    edited November 2007
    So if I followed this correctly, here are the people in this thread that have run into the "leading zero map activation issue".

gsleboda
    philly
    jmace
    cyborgen
    jimmy101
    bikeofficial
    dealdoug

Did I miss anyone?

And so far, nobody has received resolution, correct?
  • Tim , I HAVE RECEIVE A REPLY TO AN E- MAIL I SENT ON NOV.8, TO TECH SUPPORT. IN THE E-MAIL THEY SUPPLIED ME WITH UPDATED CASE NUMBER AND ADVISE ME TO CALL THIER TECH SUPPORT AT 800-707-9971.I DID MAKE THE CALL THIS MORNING AND AFTER ADVISEING THEM THAT I HAD A NEW CASE NUMBER WAS PUT ON HOLD FOR A FEW MINUTES .THEN A TECH RE-TOOK ALL MY INFORMATION AGAIN . I WAS THEN TOLD MY CASE WAS BEING MOVE TO A PRIORITY POSITION ( I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO BEND OVER - LOL) :oops: WHEN I EXPRESS MY CONFUSING TO THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END ,HE STATED HE WAS TOLD TO PRIORITIZE MY CASE. I WAS TOLD I WOULD RECIEVE AN E-MAIL IN TWENTY -FOUR HOURS.I THEN REMINDED HIM TODAY WAS FRIDAY AND THEY ARE CLOSE ON SATURDAY.HE AGAIN REPEATED TWENTY -FOURS . I'LL LET YOU KNOW. IT IS NOW 17:35 FRIDAY .NO E-MAIL
    PHILLY :evil: :twisted:
  • I called the corporate number today and tried every division, even HR. Every mailbox was full. The I used option 5 and started typing in random extensions. After a few tries I got a live person. I told her I wanted to file a complaint with the CEO's office. She said that she could handle that. What's the chance? She took down my name and number and said someone would get back to me. RIIIIIIIGHT!

I joked with her that she was the only one there and she said yea.!!! I almost think she was serious.
  • Tim. I ran into the "Leading 0" issue. I have actually received a new authorization code and my news maps are now working. Thier Help Desk played no part in this. After numerous attempts to get their help desk to understand my problem and waiting for a week for them to call me back "tomorrow", in my frustration I sent a Fax to their corporate headquarter offices. I addressed it to their "Quality Assurance Department". I explained the entire process I had been through, expressed my frustration and provided my contact information. To my shock, the next day I received an email with a new key from one of thier Quality Assurance Engineers that included my serial number without the leading "0". It worked fine, installed the new maps with no problems. I really love my unit, but I am so frustrated with customer service which is practically non existent. I really feel for everyone else because I have been there.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Thanks gsleboda. At least we know it is a problem that can be solved remotely and they won't need to send everyone new CDs.... Now if they could just get on with getting everyone updated keys...
  • I too was in this same mess with the map upgrade unlock code not working and multiple calls to tech support - only to be told each time that I would be emailed a new unlock code within anywhere from 12 hours to 2-3 business days. Finally, I generated an email support request from the Magellan web site. It seems that did the trick as about 1-2 days later, I received an email with a new code and their email referenced my email support request number. This code worked fine and the update took about 3.5 hours. No problems. At first glance, it seems to include some fairly new POI's near me. One thing I did notice was that the upgrade changed my PC screensaver activation time from 15 minutes to 600 minutes but only during the upgrade. After the upgrade, the screensaver was returned to my normal 15 minute setting. I suggest submitting the email support request.
  • jmace 0 Points
    I will give this a try as the 24-48 hours has now been 5 or 6 days, and no call or contact.

(I'm starting to get a bit angry now)
  • gawettla 181 Points
    I have the issue with the leading "0" not be detected by the map update software.

I called support over a week ago and am still waiting for a new authorization code.

I tried copying the maps to the unit manually, but that did not work. I might have missed something, or maybe the installation software unlocks the maps somehow.

Has anyone gotten a new authorization code from support yet?
  • See my reply from 11/11. Basically, sending an email support request seemed to work. Calling tech support was useless. My unit is updated and running fine.
  • gawettla 181 Points
    To whom did you send the email.

I tried mailing the support email from the website and their response was to call an 800 number.

When I called the 800 number, the support person said I would get a new number within 2 days. That was a week ago.

I am getting nowhere.
  • I went to this site

http://www.magellangps.com/support/product.asp?prodid=1271

and hit the Support/Repair Request on the left. Logged in, then hit the Support option at the top of the next page. From the drop down list, I selected Roadmate 3000T North America. Then scroll all the way down thru the FAQs on the next page and hit the button to Submit a Support Request. I would send that direct link but you have to be logged in to get there. My profile info was in there except for my unit serial number. I added that and then wrote a description of the problem in the box and sent it. Got my code in about 2 days I guess.

It looks more complicated than it is. Good luck.
  • Here is the actual text from the email they sent me (with obvious editing of my personal info):

Magellan Email Support

Dear xxxxx,

Your Email case xxxxxx has been Updated.
    CaseID: xxxxxx

Thank you for contacting Magellan. This email is in response to your query
    about the RoadMate 3000T.

Our sincere apologies for the delay in replying to your email and for the
    inconvenience caused by this issue.

I understand from your mail that, you need a new unlock code for the map
    upgrade.

I request you to try with this new unlock code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you have further queries, please get back to us. Note: Kindly use the
    support request form to submit any further queries. You can also contact our
    Technical Support at 1-800-707-9971 for further assistance.
    ------------------------------------
    Regards,
    Linda
    Magellan Email Support.
  • I'm in the same boat. Leading zeros and the KEY doesn't work. I sent an email to Magellan tech support pointing out that the DVD program doesn't see the leading zero and their solution was to say I should enter the KEY again making sure to use CAPS and there are no zeros in the KEY. They also said to hit ENTER instead of using a mouse to click on the NEXT button. I tried that but they appear to have some kind of security thing going on because THE DVD WON'T LOAD AGAIN after the computer has been turned off. It has happened to two of my computers. It gives a problem with the SETUP.EXE program.
    So if your Magellan serial number has a leading zero I'd recommend holding off until you read there's a resolution on the internet. Good Luck getting anything from their tech support.
  • gawettla 181 Points
    I emailed that address a couple of times, and have gotten no useful response. They quote me a case number and say they are increasing the priority, but nothing ever comes about. I have been waiting for over 1 week now.

I did get the same response as others, about making sure I typed the authorization code in correctly and to press Enter instead of clicking on Next.

They probably have some automated response mechanism that looks at the area in which you are having problems and fires off a generic reply.
  • What could they possibly be doing? They seem to know how to fix the issue with a different code, why aren't they selling the update or responding???
  • I'M TOO GETTING THE RUN AROUND . I THOUGHT LAST WEEK I MAY HAVE RESOLVE THE PROBLEM ONLY TO BE JERK AROUND AGAIN .JUST TODAY ABOUT NOON I TALK TO SOME ONE , A PRODUCT SUPPORT ENGINEER.HE TOLD ME ,AFTER BEING ON THE PHONE AND PUT ON HOLD NUMEROUS TIMES , THAT HE WOULD RETURN MY CALL MONENTARILY.I WAITED TILL FOUR O'CLOCK. WHILE WAITING I STARTED DOING SOME RESEARCH ABOUT MAGELLAN AND THERE BUSINESS PRACTICE.WHERE BETTER TO GO THEN THE BBB. THERE I FOUND NAMES TO CALL AND THAT IS JUST WHAT I DID . I'VE LEFT MESSAGES ON A FEW MACHINES OF PEOPLE IN CHARGE.I'M PROBABLY SPENDING MORE MONEY ON THESE CALLS ,BECAUSE THERE ON THE WEST COAST , THEN WHAT THIS IS ALL WORTH . TO ME THOUGH IT IS GETTING TO BE ABOUT THE PRINCIPLE OF THIS WHOLE ORDEAL.THEY HAD NO PROBLEM ACCEPTING MY PAYMENT FOR A PRODUCT AT THE TIME WHEN I ORDER ,KNOWING TO BE A PROBLEM . THAT IS WHAT PISSES ME OFF THE MOST.THEY SHOULD TAKE NOTICE TODAY THAT THE STOCK FOR GARMIN SHOT UP 13PLUS DOLLARS , WITH ITS NEW DEAL WITH NAVTECH.I'LL KEEP YOU ALL INFORMED OF THE CONTINUING SAGA. :evil: :twisted: :x
  • WELL PEOPLE AS YOU WILL NOTICE THE TIME ON ON MY LAST POST (16:30), I JUST RECEIVED A PHONE CALL FROM CORPORATE , AND WAS GIVEN MY NEW AUTHORIZATION NUMBER.I WILL TRY THIS NUMBER AND LET YOU KNOW THE RESULTS
  • How about giving us the number and extension you called so we can do the same.
  • Just now finish map update .ALMOST SEVEN HOURS TO FINISH ,HAD TO TO RESTART THREE DIFFERENT TIMES . COMPUTER WOULD FREEZE OR SOFTWARE WOULD FREEZE . IT WAS NOT RECOGNIZE BY THE COMPUTER . FINNALY AFTER RELOAD OF DVD THE THIRD TIME AND MAKING SURE CONNECTION WERE SECURE IT WORK . BE VERY PATIENT.AS FAR AS GIVING OUT NAMES I REALLY CAN'T DO THAT ,BUT IF YOU FOLLOW MY POST YOU WILL BE ABLE TO FIGURE OUT WHERE I GOT MY INFORMATION.ALSO MY COMPUTER SYSTEM IS A PENTIUM 3 ,WITH CABLE HIGH SPEED CONNECTION . IT NEVER TOOK THAT LONG :shock: TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING,NO MATTER THE SIZE OF THE PROGRAM. ONLY THREE WEEKS TO GET THE INFORMATION . THE INITAL YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ARE " RG" :roll: :idea: