This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Apple topic

PND4ME 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Tim,

Maybe is time for you to add an Apple topic, the iPad does not fit into the smartphone category?

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    Expect for physical size, there isn't much difference between the iPad and a smartphone. I don't think many people will gravitate to the iPad as a navigation solution. But if I'm wrong, we'll consider adding one.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Expect for physical size, there isn't much difference between the iPad and a smartphone. I don't think many people will gravitate to the iPad as a navigation solution. But if I'm wrong, we'll consider adding one.
    If I was new to this forum, I would not be looking under smartphone for iPad discussions. This way you can add iPhone, iPod also since iPod is not a smart phone either and it makes sense.

I think Apple produce great products and I love my iPhone for a GPS solution as a back up, but these days I don't worry much about forgetting my PND's. LOL...
  • Tim 1481 Points
    If I was new to this forum, I would not be looking under smartphone for iPad discussions.
    I think looking at the list of forums, the smartphone category would be the most likely place to find iPad discussions. But perhaps the larger scope is that I don't think many people are going to come here to discuss the iPad.

If we were to add a forum just for Apple, then we'd also need to add categories for Dell, Lenovo, Asus, Mitac, Nokia, etc. I'm not sure I want to go there. :)
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    If I was new to this forum, I would not be looking under smartphone for iPad discussions.

I think looking at the list of forums, the smartphone category would be the most likely place to find iPad discussions. But perhaps the larger scope is that I don't think many people are going to come here to discuss the iPad.

If we were to add a forum just for Apple, then we'd also need to add categories for Dell, Lenovo, Asus, Mitac, Nokia, etc. I'm not sure I want to go there. :)
    Point taken, maybe a category for GPS enable devices other than PND's, such as Apple iPod, IPad etc....
  • Tim 1481 Points
    What I've tried to do is to organize the forums into their software based categories. For example if someone asked "how do I add a via point to my route on the TomTom iPhone app", then someone in the TomTom forums are probably going to be able to help them better than someone in the Smartphone category that is running the Navigon app. In other words when trying to get the most help, someone running similar software is more likely able to help than someone running the same hardware but a completely different application.

Thus, I've tried (with obvious exceptions) to organize the forums by similar software. I originally grouped the Garmin Zumo devices with the StreetPilot because the Zumo software almost shared more similarity with the STP than the Nuvi... though that has changed now. That's what I don't like about the current smartphone category; the questions and topics revolve around a diverse set of software products that only apply if you are running that software application.

People like you and me are the exception. :) When we can go to our shelves and pull out any of several dozen GPS devices to use, or pull up one of many smartphone apps to use-- then the organization of the forums breaks down a bit. But we are the exception to the rule. :)

So figuring out the best way to organize the categories has always been a challenge and I welcome the input. To give a little glimpse of the future, I'm working on a major overhaul of the forums to be completed later this Spring or perhaps summer. The changes going into place there will help solve this type of issue as the forums will work more around the concepts of "tags" than "categories". So a topic could be tagged magellan, iphone, smartphone, and then show in each of those respective "categories". Essentially through the use of tags a thread can easily appear in multiple relevant categories. There could easily be a tag for "iPhone OS" or "iPad" and it would then be easier to aggregate those threads together.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Don't forget Nokia! ;)