This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin mount keeps falling off windshield. What the heck??

So I've been trying out my Garmin 255w for a little bit now and I've started using the windshield mount, but for some reason it falls off every so often.

When I secure it to the windshield, it feels solid like its never going to fall off, but then after a while for whatever reason it just loses grip and drops into the car cabin. :( Its happened several times now while I was driving and its really annoying! Could it be a dirty windshield/suction cup that's causing it? Or maybe the weather as its been quite cold the past couple of days.

I had read that the Garmin mount was suppose to be top notch, but in my case its been pretty crappy so far. :?

Comments

• this made me laugh, and i'm sure there is a solution for you, but i don't use window much these days so i'll let someone else respond to that ...

back to the laugh, Garmin has come along way over the years ... "back in the day," Garmin had a problem w/ being too sticky to windows in that their suction would leave a black ring on your windshield ... and it was very hard to get it off ... and now they fall of the window ...

funny, well sorta
  • The usual suggestion here is to apply a mild soap soln to the rim of the suction cup. That is a hassle if you remove the mount after every ride.

I just moisten the suction cup (exhale on it) and it holds on well enough for me. I have seen some lick it but that's too gross for me.
  • I would recommend going with a beanbag mount and not trying to stick it to the windshield, IMO that is. I like it better, anyhow
  • Tim 1500 Points
    If you haven't read it already, we have an article on How to make GPS Suction Cup Mounts Sticks. Using those techniques, I can't remember the last time I've had any mount fall.
  • Larry 0 Points
    You might also consider the Panavise option. Search this forum for "Panavise" and/or my posts. I've had great success with mine.
  • I had good luck cleaning my windshield with simple green or stoners.
    Then touch suction cup to forehead. A little skin oil seals tight!
  • sorry, me reminiscing again on the original Nuvi suctions that were overly "sticky" on the glass ... i just realized today that my wife's 1690 mount is attached to the prior 350 suction/post which was not stolen last month ... in fact a view from the outside of the windshield causes me to think that it may be permanently stuck :shock: since it looks very very adhered to the glass ... been on there for a long time, never moved, and couldn't be pulled off by thieves :)
  • I had this issue with a couple of my Garmin 765T and wrote about it in the fourm, and received good advice. I did not use the soapy water around the edge. It would also fall off the adhesive pad. Garmin sent a new suction cup, but it too fell off. My solution is to lick my finger and wet the entire cup, and then put on the pad and/or windshield. This solved the problem. The design is poor, and there should be a suction without having to wet the rubber cup. In any event, you're in trouble if you have "dry mouth" or no bottle of water handy!
  • Ric01 0 Points
    In any event, you're in trouble if you have "dry mouth" or no bottle of water handy!
    During our "dry mouth days", asking a pet dog to lick the cup may be one option
  • One thing to note about suction cups - they grip better as the suction increases (the rubber is pulled tighter to the windshield, making a better seal). That being said, when you mount it, be sure to push it against the windshield as hard as you can before snapping it down. This way you'll get the maximum "suction" effect, and best seal.
  • Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll definitely try out the tips provided. :)

I just found it weird that when I put the suction cup onto the windshield, I really pressed hard and when I put the clip down and then try to attempt to pull off the mount, it feels like its crazy glued and would never break lose. But then for whatever reason after a while it does fall off on its own. :(
  • I've found that the cup area on the windshield can get dirty enough that it may seep air ever so slightly. If I have a problem , a good windex cleaning of the windshield and suction cup does the trick.
  • malam 0 Points
    I would recommend going with a beanbag mount and not trying to stick it to the windshield, IMO that is. I like it better, anyhow
    Ditto ! The Garmin bean bag is what I use too.
  • RAJU 0 Points
    Spray Perfume which contains alcohol , I sprayed CK and it is tight.
  • t923347 533 Points
    RAJU said:

Spray Perfume which contains alcohol , I sprayed CK and it is tight.

Ah, just how I want my new vehicle to smell :(

• SergZak 341 Points
    I agree with Rick.... :(
  • Boyd 2035 Points
    Perhaps you would prefer something else with a high alcohol content? ;)
  • t923347 533 Points
    edited July 2016
    No, No, No, there are much better things to do with something with a high alcohol content. :-c
  • sussamb 954 Points
    :-c
  • privet01 231 Points
    might be a good use for the cheap of scotch that non-scotch drinkers give me as presents. <<grin>>
  • Boyd 2035 Points
    ….I was thinking of window washer fluid, of course! ;)
  • sussamb 954 Points
    Of course lol