This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 1.5

navxguy 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Announcement and demo due next week at Macworld Expo ... if you are attending, please share!

Navigon's Facebook announcement: "We will announce the latest version of MobileNavigator at Macworld Expo and Conference in San Francisco, February 9-13, booth #575. Stop by our booth and go hands-on with the new features of our iPhone app even before they become available in the App Store.

Have a first look at the new NAVIGON MobileNavigator Update 1.5.0"

Comments

• Nice! I can't wait!

Any idea on improvements?
  • no idea ... will have to wait 'til next week unless someone else knows something.

pure speculation and hope for:

- easier access to route listing from map screen
    - block a segment on route listing
    - direction & distance on Google Search results (and telephone # !!)
    - "On Current Route" for Google Search results
    - use of traffic pattern data

... and for all the 3G users, much improved user experience
  • no idea ... will have to wait 'til next week unless someone else knows something.

pure speculation and hope for:

- easier access to route listing from map screen
    - block a segment on route listing
    - direction & distance on Google Search results (and telephone # !!)
    - "On Current Route" for Google Search results
    - use of traffic pattern data

... and for all the 3G users, much improved user experience
    Those types of upgrades would be nice.

I am not sure about helping 3G users. The intense graphics use a lot of memory. The 3G's just don't have as much capacity and speed as the 3GS. But who knows. Maybe they will make it better!
  • mvl 191 Points
    I noticed that Tomtom's there too.

No presence of the other big nav vendors. No Google, Magellan, ALK, Garmin.

I wonder if Tomtom's got something up their sleeve, too?
  • ... another price reduction!?! :shock: jk
  • From Navigon's press release this morning ... packing in the features, nice!

Version 1.5.0 Feature Highlights:

Connection to Facebook and Twitter: A simple icon tap posts users current position, destination, and ETA without navigation interruption.

Panorama View 3D: True 3D in-map views obtained from NASA’s height and terrain data enable intuitive orientation of surrounding environment, and what lies ahead with digital landscape elevations, shadows, and geographic images. Panorama View 3D is integrated in-map, independent from the phone’s data connection. The Panorama View 3D feature will be available via an In App Purchase.

NAVIGON MyRoutes: Analyzes driving habits, patterns, location, time/day and provides up to three routes clearly displayed in-map with ETA, distance and driving times for each.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Our article with a couple of screenshots went up a few hours ago.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    MyRoutes has the most potential IMO. Morph TomTom's IQR with Garmin's personal driving style log. Voila: Personalized historical traffic flow routing. A great idea if it works. I haven't noticed much feedback on that same feature in their latest EU pnd's.
  • Do we know when this will come out?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Planned for the end of next month.

BTW, Both Mobile Navigator and Live Traffic are on sale thru Feb 15th. Saves $25 on the combo.
  • mvl 191 Points
    MyRoutes has the most potential IMO. Morph TomTom's IQR with Garmin's personal driving style log. Voila: Personalized historical traffic flow routing. A great idea if it works. I haven't noticed much feedback on that same feature in their latest EU pnd's.
    I thought MyRoutes was just Garmin-style personal driving, with the addition of time-of-day info. I didn't think it integrated historical data like Navteq SpeedProfiles yet.

Has this changed?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Do we know when this will come out?
    Navigon said "Spring".
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Navigon said that they'd submit it to Apple by the end of March. So "Spring" is probably the right answer as Tim says. No guarantee how long Apple will take to approve it.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Apple has been *much* faster approving apps in the past couple of months, within a day in some cases.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    edited February 2010
    As long as there's no LBS in there :lol:

MVL, a youtube video on Myroutes:

I've never seen Navigon mention the use of Navteq Traffic Patterns, so no evidence they do or don't. When I made reference to historical trip data, I meant your personal history. As I said, I have no idea how well or even if it works. But I like the potential.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Oh, let's not go on spreading that one. :)
  • From Navigon's press release this morning ... packing in the features, nice!

Version 1.5.0 Feature Highlights:

Connection to Facebook and Twitter: A simple icon tap posts users current position, destination, and ETA without navigation interruption.

Panorama View 3D: True 3D in-map views obtained from NASA’s height and terrain data enable intuitive orientation of surrounding environment, and what lies ahead with digital landscape elevations, shadows, and geographic images. Panorama View 3D is integrated in-map, independent from the phone’s data connection. The Panorama View 3D feature will be available via an In App Purchase.

NAVIGON MyRoutes: Analyzes driving habits, patterns, location, time/day and provides up to three routes clearly displayed in-map with ETA, distance and driving times for each.
    Sounds like nice upgrades. I will have to see how the review on the Panoram works. Based on performance reviews, I assume 3GS will be able to use it but 3G probably not or not as effectively? Anyway, another "feature" to get more money from subscribers!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I'm under the impression they aren't charging existing users for the 1.5 update. Panorama 3D is an optional add-on, in-app purchase if you want that option.
  • I'm under the impression they aren't charging existing users for the 1.5 update. Panorama 3D is an optional add-on, in-app purchase if you want that option.
    I hope it is another free upgrade, especially for those of us who paid higher prices earlier!
  • Tim 1481 Points

• Been testing the Navigon and I can tell you the Navigon app on an iPhone 3GS functions much better than it did on a PND unit.
    Navigon app is pretty solid and have a lot of simular features as the Magellan products.

Nice to see they are focusing on this iPhone app catagory.
  • To me the #1 thing missing from Navigon at the moment is the ability to selectively block a road from your route. Although I have to say the MyRoutes thing looks like it would solve 90% of the reason I need this feature.

Panorama view 3d is useless for people living in Ohio. :) I had an 8100T and damn near never saw any topography till I drove to the Ski areas in Upstate NY.

Flickr and Twitter integration is a gimmick.. nice to have but doesn't sway me one way or the other.

I have to say TomTom's latest update really makes it just about the perfect solution I've been looking for.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    To me the #1 thing missing from Navigon at the moment is the ability to selectively block a road from your route. Although I have to say the MyRoutes thing looks like it would solve 90% of the reason I need this feature.
    maybe, and i agree on block a segment ... i'm hoping they slipped this in w/ other minor feature updates that weren't made public yet
  • caryrae 92 Points
    1.5 is available now.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    Impressed w/ scheduled release accuracy ... figured they's submit by end of March w/ an avail from store mid April. Currently downloading ...
  • Downloaded it overnight and am underwhelmed. The two things that I really wanted to see aren't there

The Bad:
    1. They still haven't fixed the 24h bug. When I drive from CLE to Decatur, IL It tells me I'll be getting there at 3:00. Is that AM? PM?

2. Still can't block a segment on the route.

The Good:
    The My Routes function works brilliantly and on the said route from CLE to Decatur it shows me the main route all GPS units recommend, then the route I always choose then some 3rd silly option. One of the main reasons I wanted segment blocking was to easily be able to force the route I want to take. This goes a long way toward that end.

Traffic: Traffic seems pretty good, but I have to say it isn't nearly as complete as the traffic in TomTom 1.3. I still can't determine which is more accurate or timely.

3D view. I haven't bought this yet because I live in Ohio. In Ohio we don't believe in 3 dimensions. We only have 2D here. :) But seriously, I had the 3D function on my Navigon 8100T and it was neat when I got to places like upstate NY, but around here it is hard to test. I may buy it anyway out of pure GPS geekyness.

For now, I think TomTom still has the ever so slight edge, although the MyRoutes function really has me impressed (TomTom, are you listening?)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    MyRoutes should get even better with your continued use. It's meant to log your personal travel speeds over various road classes (rather than the average of all drivers), then use your personal data in route computations. In theory it's a great feature. Let us know how it works over time LordHamster.
  • MyRoutes should get even better with your continued use. It's meant to log your personal travel speeds over various road classes (rather than the average of all drivers), then use your personal data in route computations. In theory it's a great feature. Let us know how it works over time LordHamster.
    Neat theory, I wonder how traffic will figure into that though. I mean, if I average 10mph on the highway because I only drive during Rush Hour, that doesn't really tell me anything about the best routing at 3am.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    lordhamster - agree w/ your assessment - especially the comment that they didn't do some basic improvements; segment block, on-route Google search, telephone number in Google results, etc. they were focused on the big 3 features advertised - one related to improved routing, and 2 nice to haves ... the 'silly route' option w/in MyRoutes is a waste, must be scenic or something. I compared with TomTom (routes.tomtom.com) and found that most of Navigon's routing options or recommendations still don't match IQ Routing ... in fact, a number of times the first half of one option matched IQ, and then a different route option had the second half of the IQ Route ... though, i do like having the MyRouting options.

I haven't used much, but has anyone found undocumented feature updates?
  • navxguy 0 Points
    gatorguy - only time will tell, but i wonder if it's less sophisticated and the historical driving style doesn't actually change the routing options - just which one of the 3 it picks for 'recommendation' ... we'll see
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    According to Navigon your personal history is intended to adjust the route options, even down to the time of day. But we'll still have to wait and see how it's working in practice. That will take at least a few days of use to build up any base of travel data (I think).

LordHamster, check some of your routes again in a week or so, assuming you're using the Navigon app daily.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    the Marketing language, does make it sound similar to IQ Routing ... s/b interesting to determine reality, here's hoping
  • I'll know its working correctly if it routes me through residential neighborhoods rather than freeways at 75mph :) :twisted:
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I don't know for sure... I'm just guessing... but I don't think it is doing IQ Routes style adjustments nor Nuvi style adjustments. I don't think it is taking your speed into consideration at all. I think all it is doing is taking a look at the route you actually drove versus the route generated and will start to pick your route over the default route. But I could easily be wrong.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    For those that haven't seen the Navigon MyRoutes video yet. Not a lot of detail offered, but only really an overview.

• mvl 191 Points
    According to Navigon your personal history is intended to adjust the route options, even down to the time of day. But we'll still have to wait and see how it's working in practice. That will take at least a few days of use to build up any base of travel data (I think).

LordHamster, check some of your routes again in a week or so, assuming you're using the Navigon app daily.
    My Accord nav does this, and the improvements take about a 3 months of driving to really reflect your personal history well. What the Accord does is never published anywhere, but it appears from my experience to not be time-of-day. So it might take even longer for the time-of-day engine in MyRoutes to really tune itself.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    I think all it is doing is taking a look at the route you actually drove versus the route generated and will start to pick your route over the default route. But I could easily be wrong.
    interesting. so i wonder if it only learns during 'route navigation' or whether it also learns in 'map driving' mode ... lots to learn about MyRoutes
  • This is what I want to know. Does it learn while you're in map mode or do you have to have a destination set or both? Today when I used it for the first time since the update it gave me a choice of three routes, one was labeled "My Routes". That's the one I selected but it confused me as to which one of the three I was supposed to pick.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    i don't have the answer to your first question since it's similar to the one i posted above ... but regarding your second point, the idea of 3 routing options is that one of them should be best for you ... so review the 3 route pictures, compare with the distance and time info, and pick one that looks best to you; fastest, or most typical roads you drive, or scenic, etc. i have found that typically 2 of the 3 routes are pretty good; and 1 typically is a bit crazy, wandering through areas i'd never drive ... i do a quick review of the 3 options and then select one, not always the "recommended" one. Over time, the "recommended" one should be more closely aligned to the one i prefer.

the only thing i don't like is when i see the first half of the route that i like from one of the options, then i like the second half of a different option :shock:
  • Has anyone tried the 3D view yet? Is it worth the extra money?
  • If you live in Ohio like I do, it sucks.
  • If you live in Ohio like I do, it sucks.
    Nope - in mountainous New Hampshire!
  • caryrae 92 Points
    1.5.1 update. Not much of an update.

-resolved an issue that would lead to temporary loss of voice announcements
    -resolved in app purchase issue for Swedish iTunes store customers.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    yeah, lot of time to download, install and reload the Panorama View for a couple of tweaks, let's hope there isn't many of these needed
  • I used Navigon's app twice this week to navigate to a t stop (Boston subway) in my car during rush hour. It worked pretty well for me. Was it optimal compare to TomTom? Not sure - I will try that next week using similar drive times. That is the best test I can do for now. I will publish results next week.
  • yeah, lot of time to download, install and reload the Panorama View for a couple of tweaks, let's hope there isn't many of these needed
    I will do the upgrades tonight!
  • navxguy 0 Points
    Two questions ...

1. any idea whether Navigon updates will retain the history of "learning my driving style" for MyRoutes?

2. when you upgraded, did Panarama View have to be reloaded?

as it relates to my approach for new updates, i can answer "no" to both -- i typically delete Navigon, do master reset, install new version, master reset and start app - never had any issues w/ the app doing it this way ... but i guess there may be an arguement to just settle w/ the update process if it saves 'driving style' and panaramic data