7200t Car charger problems

edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
My 7200t has started entering computer connect mode when connected to the car charger. I'm trying to figure out if this is a problem with the GPS or the charger.

Does anyone know the pinout of the Navigon mini USB connector?

Or how it decides if it is connected to a computer or the car charger?

Connecting it to a wall charger also places it in computer connect mode but I believe this was always the case.

I'm not sure if I can buy a replacement from Navigon. Are there any replacements that will work?

Any with the antenna?

Ed

Comments

• If the wall charger puts it in computer mode, then it's an issue with the unit itself, not the charger. If you look back a ways to one of my threads on the 8100T, I had a problem with the wiring to the charge port shorting out against the battery internally. This caused the same problem you're having. Once I pulled it apart and insulated the wiring from the battery, the problem went away.
    You will void your warranty if you crack it open, but I'm not sure how good that warranty is now anyway!

All you have to do is get a small flashlight, a small flat screwdriver, and gently pry the outer cover off the back. (there should be some small slots that the cover snaps into around the edge, if memory serves me). This should expose small phillips screws that you can remove to get inside the case (more careful prying needed). Once inside, look to the back where the charge port wiring lays against the battery. see if it's cooked! If so, carefully pull apart, insulate with some good electrical tape, and re-assemble.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I like my Garmin, but there are some things I REALLY miss about the 8100T. The display was amazing, exit guide was really handy, and Reality View was the best out there.
    :cry:
  • I ended up sending back to Navigon. They diagnosed it as bad motherboard and replaced it for $80.