This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Real World comparison between the 1700 and Maestro 4700

jeffp 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
After ten days and nearly 4000 miles with both the Maestro 4700 and Roadmate 1700, I think I have a better idea how well they work. Both work well and very much the same. The Maestro was mounted on its glass mount to the left of the steering wheel which is great for vision and out of the way. The 1700 would not fit there very well and shook on its glass mount. It worked best on my bean bag mount right of center on the dash. Both displays are bright with the 4700 slightly brighter and more saturated. The 1700 has the size and higher resolution. Both are tough to see in direct sunlight.
Both provided good and identical routes after the 4700 started out a little strange. The ETA indications did not always match with the 4700 being later, at times by a number of minutes, slowing adjusting until it matched the 1700. Announcements were about the same time in both, with the bell being a tad earlier on the 1700. Lagging was close with the 4700 a bit better. I matched the images on each screen by expanding by two clicks with the 1700 and four with the 4700. Info on each screen was mostly the same with the 1700 sometimes displaying more.
The number of satellites used varied from seven to fourteen and was almost always the same with both with the 1700 receiving more on a couple of situations. Volume is great with both units. The 1700 can be set louder.
The silver back of the 1700 sometimes reflected off my windshield but never was a big distraction, the 4700 black back was wonderful. Touch was fine on both and as long as the unit was mounted well, responded as you would like. The screens were pretty clean after all these days of use.
I finally saw the 3D images driving through Atlanta. It was only a few buildings but was great eye candy. It was not enough to be a deal breaker, but was nice that one time in nearly 4000 miles.
Traffic display on the 4700 was visible several times but never was a big difference between units for this type of driving. If I lived in a major city I might feel differently, but in my home of Madison, I have only found use for it a couple times.
Which one to keep.............. It has been tough to decide. If you have a mid to smaller car, the 1700 is a bad choice because it takes up too much room. It is big, beautiful and very large. The 4700 is a perfect size for just about any vehicle and with its great screen, you can read the display and see the maps well. After much thought, I am keeping the 1700. My vehicle can handle the size, it is easier for me at age 60, to read it while driving. It always shows at least the same info as the 4700 and sometimes more. The sound quality of the 1700 is great and has more volume than I could ever use.
Bottom line is that both are very fine GPS units that work quite well. I was won over by the larger screen of the 1700, only because it is possible to use it in my Town & Country. Give either a try, the work great.

Comments

• jeffp,
    Can you tell how you managed to receive traffic reports on the 1700...If I read you well..
    The 1700 is not traffic enabled..at least in Canada...
    :shock:
  • Great write-up jeffp.......Thanks for your observations. I was toying with the idea of getting the 1700 over the 4700 and 1475T. I would have really liked the 4700 but it (bluetooth) did not work well with my new Samsung phone. The 1700 is nice but if I travel and want to use the unit on foot (in a city environment or just to carry) its too big to fit into a pocket, so I am with the 1475T now. I originally purchased one and returned it. When I returned it the price dropped to $139 so I got it again, with another 30 days to return it. I haven't opened it yet in the hopes that Magellan will fix the lag issue. I believe PND4ME is beta testing the new software so I will wait to open it. If no fix then it will go back as I can not deal with it in local situations. I hate seeing the road that I just passed showing up on the unit,,,it is ok on the highway though I do not do a lot of HWY driving. I hope your observations help other looking at these 2 units.
  • jeffp 0 Points
    jeffp,
    Can you tell how you managed to receive traffic reports on the 1700...If I read you well..
    The 1700 is not traffic enabled..at least in Canada...
    :shock:
    Traffic was only available on the 4700. I mention it to provide comments on the how important traffic is for this type of travel and comparison. Both units do have Smart Detour which provides options if the unit determines if you are traveling at less than 20% of the speed for that road. Both the 4700 and 1700 provided alternate routes when they sensed that I was in that situation.
  • jeffp 0 Points
    Great write-up jeffp.......Thanks for your observations. I was toying with the idea of getting the 1700 over the 4700 and 1475T. I would have really liked the 4700 but it (bluetooth) did not work well with my new Samsung phone. The 1700 is nice but if I travel and want to use the unit on foot (in a city environment or just to carry) its too big to fit into a pocket, so I am with the 1475T now. I originally purchased one and returned it. When I returned it the price dropped to $139 so I got it again, with another 30 days to return it. I haven't opened it yet in the hopes that Magellan will fix the lag issue. I believe PND4ME is beta testing the new software so I will wait to open it. If no fix then it will go back as I can not deal with it in local situations. I hate seeing the road that I just passed showing up on the unit,,,it is ok on the highway though I do not do a lot of HWY driving. I hope your observations help other looking at these 2 units.
    Thanks for your nice comments. The 1700 is car only based on size, but with a big pocket could work especially well with it being very sensitive to satellite signals.
    The lagging issue did not bother me as much on the trip as it does at home. I kept both units zoomed out enough where lag was not that evident. My guess is that a firmware correction will be out soon for all models but with the 4700 being among the first.
    Bluetooth on the 4700 worked ok with my Iphone, but I have a Jabra SP700 in my van that works better and has an FM transmitter.
    The 1475T should be more like the 1700 with the 4.7" screen and might have the map 37 update built in like the 1700 has. The 4700 has the previous map 35 which was different on a few occasions.
    I should have mentioned that I also had a third GPS in use, the one in my 2007 Town & Country. It is harder to program and has older maps. Both Magellan units were more audible and have touch screens.
    I would be very surprised if Magellan did not have a fix for all of the units out soon. It is a pain but not a deal breaker for me. Garmins don't have this issue but I like the routing and screen display of the Magellans.
  • Does anyone know if Magellan is even planning another firmware update for the 1470? I have version 2.20. It still lags and it says "Your device needs to be restarted to increase performance", almost every day. There is another issue, but that may be Navteq.
  • Does anyone know if Magellan is even planning another firmware update for the 1470? I have version 2.20. It still lags and it says "Your device needs to be restarted to increase performance", almost every day. There is another issue, but that may be Navteq.
    stay tune of v 2.21

stay tune of v 2.21
    I have been tuned but all I see on the channel is snow.................any time frame? Is the beta test going well? Thanks
  • Hopefully there's a V2.21 for all the 1400 seris Roadmates
  • stay tune of v 2.21

I will be waiting.
  • Since the new 1400 series all use the same software, I would assume that once the new software comes out, it will be ported to all the GPS.
  • jeffp 0 Points
    Since the new 1400 series all use the same software, I would assume that once the new software comes out, it will be ported to all the GPS.
    I think that will also be true of the 1700 and all of the Maestro series.