This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Service area for navigational smartphones

bonecrusher 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
With all this enthusiasm about smartphone turn-by-turn navigation making dedicated PND obsolete, I haven't seen any discussion about how well navigational apps work when a smartphone enters an area of no-service. Are there GPS chips onboard smartphones? Or do they all work by using cell tower geolocation? My concern is to be somewhere I couldn't receive directional guidance, nor be able to call for help at the same time. At least with my dedicated GPS, I'm still getting satellite data wherever I am. So with a smartphone, do I have to drive around until I get a signal? That's comforting when you are lost, isn't it?

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    haven't seen any discussion about how well navigational apps work when a smartphone enters an area of no-service.
    We have talked quite a bit about this here, and have an article: On-Board VS Cloud Maps for Apps.

It depends. For example the iPhone + either the TomTom, Navigon, or Magellan app all load the maps onboard the device. They take up a good amount of space. But the phone has a GPS chip so it works fine without a cellular connection. Other services like TeleNav on the iPhone transfer routes and maps over the cellular network connection, so the cellular network connection is required. They do cache a good amount of data so that most times if you drive out of a covered area it will still work fine so long as you don't miss a turn while out of coverage area.