This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Can I record and save a route while driving the actual route

Hello,

I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1460, with the notorious road congestion in Bangkok, to save time I drive through local streets which avoids the main thoroughfares. I would like to save my actual driving route into my Garmin so that my wife can use when she drives the car by herself.

Is this possible??

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    No. I don't think any GPS can do this. What you could do, however, is save favorites at the intersections where you turn. You could then use these favorites to build a custom route, either on the gps itself or using Mapsource software on your computer.
  • Hey, thanks for your quick advice, if this is the only way then I'll give it a try.

Excited to start using my new GPS, what an amazing device, it'll take away alot of the anxiety & stress driving around Thailand. :lol:
  • On my Nuvi 770 the trip log shows where I drive highlighted on the map.
    Will yours show the same?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yes, all current models will display the tracklog - look in the map settings menu.

However, it will only display the track that is currently active in the unit. You can't turn tracking off, you can only show, hide or clear it. You can copy the track to your computer (look for the file named Current.gpx in the GPX folder) but you can't go the other way around. You can't copy a track from the computer back to the Nuvi.
  • Interesting, what would be the purpose of copying a track onto your computer; to allow you the option of creating a map to be reloaded back into your GPS?
  • alanb 539 Points
    It could help you in geotagging photos by matching up the track point time with the photo time. Some folks use the track logs for mileage claims.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Nick: Yes, if you used Garmin's Mapsource program you could load the track from your Nuvi onto your computer. You could then use that program to create a route which follows the way you actually went. This route could then be transferred to the GPS and imported.
  • kenp 92 Points
    The track log can be useful in telling how you got to your destination. Ever get lost and have the GPS get you back home? Ever have traffic alerts route you through roads you never knew were there? Then wish you could remember just what happened? And what your original mistake was?

Thanks to a track log, I was finally able to understand how one gets from the Avis lot at LAX to the 405. I'd done it more times than I care to think about, but for the first time I knew how it was done. It was like the Masked Magician had revealed a secret.

Ken
  • Nick0210 0 Points
    Great, looks like the track log function of the GPS is the way to go, let me research deeper into this function so save my favorite routes.

On a side note- took a drive to the airport today using my normal destination which is mostly on the highway, had the GPS turned on just to see if the route directions matched up with my actual driving route. Strange, it was telling me to get off the highway approximately 10 kms before reaching highway Airport exit onto local streets......
  • I created a short trip log this morning. It shows up in my trip log. I copied the Current.gpx file to my HD and when I opened the file I have no clue where to look for the trip log file I created. I see a bunch of Lat/Long coord, times,ect. Should I be looking for the streets from Point A to Point B I used to get home? That file is so huge it is hard to find what i am looking for. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks
  • alanb 539 Points
    The trip log is stored as a list of position coordinates and times. It does not store street names, turns, etc. Most people import the triplog into Mapsource or other programs that support track log import.
  • The trip log is stored as a list of position coordinates and times. It does not store street names, turns, etc. Most people import the triplog into Mapsource or other programs that support track log import.
    Thanks for the reply. Is Mapsource a stand alone program that has to be purchased in addition to my NuMap Lifetime subscription?
  • alanb 539 Points
    No, when you download and install a new map via nuMaps Lifetime, it will install Mapsource as part of the process.
  • No, when you download and install a new map via nuMaps Lifetime, it will install Mapsource as part of the process.
    Thanks for the info. Next time, I will use the "Recommended" install option. :wink:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I believe the installer will ask if you want the maps on your computer, and Mapsource won't be installed unless you answer "yes".