Garmin 2010/2011 Models?

I realize this may be a stupid question, but has there been any info on 2010 Garmin models coming out soon, or perhaps 2011 models? Is the Garmin site the best place to look for the latest info or some place else? I just haven't heard of anything new coming soon for the Nuvi line from Garmin. I have the 755T, not sure which map update I have, I think 2010.20 on it, but was thinking about getting a newer model. The one problem I have is the keyboard sensitivity. When I hit a letter, it seems to register the letter next to it, which requires me to erase and try again. I believe this has been a problem for a lot of people, I just find it rather frustrating.

Comments

• Boyd 1317 Points
    The only thing I've heard about on the horizon is the Nuvi 18x0 series. It will have a big screen (4.8" IIRC). It will be Linux based so I'm wondering if it will share any of the nice features of Garmin's other Linux models (800, 805 and 5000 series), like the ability to turn off autozoom?

But the most unique features will be a built-in web browser and e-mail client. Evidently these will only work over wifi though and not the cellular network. This series was leaked a few months ago, but I haven't heard anything since then.

Tim, do you have any news on these models?
  • Thanks for the info. Personally all the bells and whistles don't do much for me, I don't need a web browser or email, etc. Hopefully Garmin has some new models coming out, basic in design and features, but improvements made, especially the keyboard sensitivity.
  • alanb 204 Points
    Have you looked at the 1xxx models? I don't think they suffer from the touch screen problems. And I know my 855 does not have the touch screen errors that my 755T does.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    It wouldn't be unusual to see a new model or two announced around the time or at CeBit...

which just happens to be just a few days away. :)
  • Have you looked at the 1xxx models? I don't think they suffer from the touch screen problems. And I know my 855 does not have the touch screen errors that my 755T does.
    As you can see by my post count, I don't get on here nearly as much as I should, but what are the 1xxx models? I don't need anything fancy like Bluetooth, etc. But any of the newer models you can recommend, let me know. Hopefully some new stuff is announced soon, as the other poster said it sounds like a trade show is coming up. Thanks guys for your help.
  • alanb 204 Points
    Just go to Garmins site and compare the models: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134.

One thing I might caution you about ... if you use the custom route feature of your 755T, you will want to limit your research on the 1xxx units to the 14xx and 1690 units as they are the only ones that support saved routes and route import.
  • Just go to Garmins site and compare the models: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134.

One thing I might caution you about ... if you use the custom route feature of your 755T, you will want to limit your research on the 1xxx units to the 14xx and 1690 units as they are the only ones that support saved routes and route import.
    Honestly I don't use my Garmin as much as most people probably and I don't find myself using the custom route and most of the bells and whistles. I tend to put an address in and go. I know the 1690 is the latest model, but what else are the newest ones from them?
  • I realize this may be a stupid question, but has there been any info on 2010 Garmin models coming out soon, or perhaps 2011 models? Is the Garmin site the best place to look for the latest info or some place else? I just haven't heard of anything new coming soon for the Nuvi line from Garmin. I have the 755T, not sure which map update I have, I think 2010.20 on it, but was thinking about getting a newer model. The one problem I have is the keyboard sensitivity. When I hit a letter, it seems to register the letter next to it, which requires me to erase and try again. I believe this has been a problem for a lot of people, I just find it rather frustrating.
    Have you tried a screen calibration ?
  • alanb 204 Points
    The 1350 is a pretty basic unit, so you could start there. But again, just visit the link I gave in the earlier post and you can see all of the 1xxx models.
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    When we talk about 1xxx models or 7x5 models, it means that you should substitute different numbers where the x's are - like a "wildcard" search (if you have ever used a command-line style operating system :) ) So, for example, 1xxx would match models such as 1250, 1390, 1450, etc.

But hold on a minute before pronouncing the touchscreen perfect on the 1xxx series. It doesn't have the issues you will find on the 7x5 series (which have been well documented to have a hardware problem), but the map browser screen is really twitchy. I have a 1350t and frankly this drives me nuts and reduces the usefulness of an otherwise very nice unit.

They have tried to make the 1xxx series "iPhone-like" so that the map browser exhibits "physics" when you move it. In other words, if you swipe the screen quickly you "throw" the map and it continues to move after you remove your finger.

But they haven't done a very good job with this, so it's hard to get it to stop where you want. And it's also very easy to select something on the map that you didn't want to select. Once selected, it's "captured' and you can't continue browsing the map. Your only choice then is to navigate to this point, save it as a favorite or return to the driving view.

This is really frustrating if you've scrolled the map a long distance from your current location; you have to start all over again. Maybe it's just me, but I find this really frustrating.
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    Honestly I don't use my Garmin as much as most people probably and I don't find myself using the custom route and most of the bells and whistles. I tend to put an address in and go.
    In that case, I'm not sure why you feel that you need a new, non-existent Garmin model. New models almost always have a lot of bugs which take awhile to be resolved. And it doesn't sound like you need any new features that don't already exist on current models.

The screen problems of your series (7x5) have been well documented and discussed here and elsewhere. None of the other Garmin series have a problem like that. You might be able to get a replacement from Garmin if you contact them, since this is a known issue.

Otherwise, I'd say you would be happy with one of the 2x5 series. These are very basic, thoroughly debugged, and inexpensive.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134
  • alanb 204 Points
    Thanks for pointing out the screen problems on the 1xxx models Boyd. I wasn't aware of that problem. It sounds like Garmin did this one by design ... another "better idea" that isn't!
  • Boyd 1317 Points
    True. There has been some discussion of this problem here, but not much. To be fair, it probably has more to do with how I use the GPS. I like to use it as a replacement for a paper map, so I drag the map around a lot to explore. Many (if not most) people just punch in addresses and use the voice guidance.

And this problem is especially annoying when using a detailed topo map because there are a lot of items (like contour lines, streams, etc) which you can accidentally select when you don't want to.

There are some other quirks, but also a lot of nice things about the 1xxx units, so they are definitely worth a look.
  • Kinsella5, look closely at the 1690 ... if you want "new" but aren't interested in the "future" features ... and want an improvement in map refresh (excpt browsing) and key entry ... then 1690 w/ nuLink is a very good model w/ some useful features - google POI, whitepage, movie, flight, fuel costs, wireless send to GPS, and cellular antenna for wide-area reception for traffic and other nuLink services. good luck!