This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• mahammel 41 Points
    wow. how cool. great work!!

i only knwo the names of two women in the group.

Nancy

Victoria

i'm sure they cannot authorize it. remember the maps are being sold through the Hungarian company directly---not through Motorola. yes, they will have a voice.

i'm willing to wait for Q4 to be available from Motorola per the sales agreement. but......great job Carey! well done. keep us up to date with the refund. if they do it, we can all ask!

My Camel
  • TxBs 0 Points
    I spoke to Victoria today and asked her to put me in touch with someone from the 765t design team. She said she would see what she could. I will give her until Friday, and I'll call back and start calling Motorola Corp.

On a side note; all of the sudden the volume for bluetooth phone calls is at the same volume the TTS is set at. Go Figure.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    here's an email i just received.

Thank you for contacting Motorola. It was a pleasure speaking with you on numerous occasions and the patience you have exhibited as I try to resolve this issue for you.

The Latest Map Guarantee is not available for Motorola Personal Navigation Device devices at the moment, it will be released on 3rd week of April. To get the Latest Map Guarantee, a software patch has to be installed. The patch will be released in the same time.

It will be also possible to modify the first GPS time for users where the first 60 days have already passed.

As soon as this becomes available you will be able to download and install your up to date maps.

I hope you will find this satisfactory and please bear with us a little more as we strive to resolve this issue.

Again thanks for contacting Motorola and have a very good day.

so: WE'RE COVERED

My Camel
  • Very good news My Camel!! Thanks for the update and your willingness to share your findings!
  • Fantastic! Thanks for the update.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    oh boy. here's a potential black mark. rather than try to 'splain it again, i'll just post what i sent to "M" support

Al or Victoria:

I have a new question and “possible” issue.

I hope you can assist.

I just spoke with Diana about this and she says “NO” to my question below:

Here’s the scenario:

I accidently erased all my favorites, contacts, etc. by doing a full delete. the REASON: (the device sat for 2 days untouched. When I turned it on, it started playing – I don’t know how it got to this point – the promotional graphic –wmv-) when I pressed help, it asked me if I wanted to reset everything-I thought it meant the help promo wmv so I said ‘yes’. it wiped memory and reset all. I accept responsibility for this error.

but

I now have no favorites. I tried the restore from a backup I did 2 days ago, and it only restored the default settings.

Is there any way to recover favorites?????

It seems that the backup/restore has no purpose since you can always restore the defaults from the TOOLBOX/MY SETTINGS.

Is there a file that is retained inside the PND that has my favorites??

Please advise
    :oops:

To not be able to recover settings that are created by the user, is a biggie in my opinion.

any thoughts anyone?

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    well,for argument sake, i ordered a Magellan 1700. i had looked at it in a big box store. seemed simple and easy for my wife. not to mention that it has a HUGE 7" screen. i thought 5" was big. my wife likes big! :oops: :lol:

I wanted to compare the 765 and the 1700.

we just came on a 3 hour trip. here's a few of what i've seen about the 1700

software locked up in 3d mode for about 2 minutes i lost the automobile icon.

voice only available in female (my wife likes a mans voice-no wonder here).
    digital translation to voice is very monotone and street names run together: turnrightonhuntschapelroad. should be turn right ONTO hunts chapel road. yuch.

if you add a stop en-route, once you reach the 1st destination, it just drops the 2nd, end route (or i did something wrong).

only gives the next 20 miles for highway poi (looking for poi's in 30 or 40 miles doesn't seem to work).

free 1st map update only works for 30 days from when you first turn it on and use it. the last map were in 9/09. this is 4/10 and they say on their website that the next one is due in June 2010. that means in 2 months i'll have 1 year old maps. --- IMHO that is unacceptable.

so----bottom line---- i think the 1700 goes back and i keep the 765. it's more complicate for my wife but if i can "train" her in it, i think she'll like it better (i know i do!).

hope this helps someone

My Camel
  • My Camel, you were about to jump ship!?!? I'm glad to hear you are going to stick with the 765. Hopefully we get that Q4 2009 map update in the third week of April like Moto is promising!
  • mahammel 41 Points
    well, yeah i was "considering" it but my instincts all say don't do it.

so i ain't.

i'm here for the "long haul" (i like that play)!

My Camel
  • that's good news on the software update coming with the new maps!

looking forward to this.. big time.

maybe i need that patch to get the connection going from my motonav to PC

d.
  • andre2p 0 Points
    Hello:

I am considering the 765. My concern is future map updates. I do see the possibility of Motorola not issuing software updates, which I could live without. What I wonder is if we could still buy map updates since the software itself is made by somebody else. Do you think that could be possible, assuming Motorola stops supporting this unit 2 years from now?

Thanks,
    AC :roll:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    What I wonder is if we could still buy map updates since the software itself is made by somebody else. Do you think that could be possible, assuming Motorola stops supporting this unit 2 years from now?
    Well AC, IMHO, i don't see how they could make this kind of investment and not support it. the cost to make all this happen, in man hours and actual cost would make it very expensive to dump out. With that said however, worse things have happened in corporate worlds.

if they were to stop, they would have to continue support for several years and i thing (but not sure) that as far as replacemnt parts and sw goes, they have to maintain for 7 years.

the SW dev/upgrades are probably supported by engineering at "M". the Maps are supported by Navteq. if "M" stops ordering map licesnses from "N", "N" will shut them down in a heartbeat.

i don't think anything is going to happen bad. i think they're in this for the short haul (3 years or more). far beyond the expected lifetime of the product.

oh, and don't forget-------12/12/2012 is right around the corner. who's going to care then, anyway?

AR

My Camel (WB9GMO)
  • egale 0 Points
    Navigon has already done it. I can't get myself to buy this until Motorola proves there will be support and regular map updates. I have already been taken once.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    Navigon has done what?

how do you expect them to prove what you ask? i'm curious. 'cause you'll be waiting several years if they are going to follow through, and if they are not, you'll be waiting for them to stop.

:roll: :roll:

My Camel
  • My Camel, I agree. I've heard that this GPS was a little over a year in the making. And they haven't even released their car kit yet.

I would be very surprised if they just threw in the towel without giving it a fighting chance.

I know crazier things have happened and Navigon pulled the plug very early, but I just don't see it happening in this case.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    sorry i see. they bailed out of the USA.

i think that was a contractual thing. i remember reading something but don't recall now what it was. (personally i'd wager that they tried to pressure someone out of more money in a re-signing of license agreements and the company called them on it. it that's the case, they deserve losing the business!) IMHO of course :evil:
  • kroams 0 Points
    I have been sitting back reading the reviews and comments on the TN765t. However I noticed on bensbargains.net that Newegg.com is running a $100 off coupon on the TN765t. I had to give it a try for $199 with free shipping!

Newegg has the Motorola Motonav TN765T 5.1" GPS Navigation with Lifetime Traffic for $300 - $100 off with coupon code MOTO765T [Exp 4/18] = $200 with free shipping.

http://www.bensbargains.net
  • Great find!! At that price you won't find a GPS that comes even close to the Moto. Not even close. In short, you will be very pleased.
  • xxhaimbondxx, where you at man! It finally hit your $200 price point!

luckybirman, you around too? Jump in!! lol
  • mahammel 41 Points
    now i am getting worried. why discount by 1/3 when it's not been on the market for a month yet?

hmmmmmm.

none-the-less, i ordered an udder one. for $200 it be worth it!

My Camel
  • WizeGuyDezignz, I saw that too this morning and came here to post it but you beat me again !! I thought of xxhaimbondxx as well when it hit his price. I am still wary due to the promises of updates (seen in this forum) and nothing given yet. I believe Cydle will come through but still haven't seen that unit promoted (other than by one vendor with two names) so I'm not at all sure it will make it in North America. The $199 Moto price is VERY tempting but as I said it has so many things I never expect to use so I am still thinking about the 5" TT XXL 540TM (lifetime traffic AND qtrly maps) which will be released on 4/26/10.
    I can wait if I need to because the old 7200T still works fine, but the other car could use a GPS rather than moving this one around. I guess I have until the 18th to decide. I also wonder the reason for the big drop all of a sudden on the Motonav?
  • I'm not sure I'm worried that they are offering this deal. I think they may just be trying to create some buzz about it and get it into more peoples hands. Because almost every other website is still holding to their $275 range on it. That's my optimistic side talking though, so who knows.

luckybirman, at $200 I think this GPS is a no brainer. You won't find anything close to it at that price and for the feature set you get a lot for $200.

Most of the negatives that I've read about this device from Amazon reviews etc, I've never had with my unit. I know some complain about traffic, but mine has been almost dead on accurate. I went on another trip up north this past weekend and once again the traffic reports were spot on. And I've never had a problem with routing, etc.

All in all this is a great device for $200. And to be honest, even if they stopped supporting the device as of today, I still would love this GPS and used it for a few years to come (if the maps held up). It's already that good IMO.
  • egale 0 Points
    Fool me once, fool me twice. I couldn't resist either for $199. I look at it this way, its a new toy and if doesn't pan out, I have my Tomtom and Garmin to fall back on.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yep. yep. 100% agree on all!

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Last week the XYL said I could go buy a 2010 BMW R1200RT for $22K which I did not do. (Gonna wait for 2011s) so....... this could be my consolation prize. At this price point what the heck. You guys have sucked me in......I just hope it isn't a Black Hole. :lol: :lol:
  • egale and Spyder, welcome to the club!! I really hope you guys enjoy the Moto as much as I have. And I'm really interested in your thoughts on it once you receive it!
  • mahammel 41 Points
    Last week the XYL said I could go buy a 2010 BMW R1200RT for $22K which I did not do. (Gonna wait for 2011s) so....... this could be my consolation prize. At this price point what the heck. You guys have sucked me in......I just hope it isn't a Black Hole
    Hey, that's great (you must have married her AFTER you because a ham. My 1st XYL would never had agreed to that but my 2nd would (my 3rd-10th however flip/flop).

88's to your wife!

(not a black hole, simply one that is grayish in color)

73's and many 807's

My Camel
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    i think that was a contractual thing. i remember reading something but don't recall now what it was. (personally i'd wager that they tried to pressure someone out of more money in a re-signing of license agreements and the company called them on it. it that's the case, they deserve losing the business!) IMHO of course :evil:
    You may be thinking about the KnightRider version.
  • guys, i still cant get this motonav 755 to be recognized BY ANY pc with the toolbox i've have tried 3 windows machines now with no luck

do you think i should return for a defect with the USB port?

i got it on the 23rd of last month...so i need to do soon.

i really DO like it so far BUT I am NOT paying over 200 dollars for something that is defective in some way or wont allow me to update in the future..

any ideas on how i should proceed?

got from *tiger-direct*

thanks for any advice

d.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    try calling 2nd tier support 866 438 3060. if they can't resolve it in the next day i would do an RMA with Tiger. if you can get them to do 100% refund, i'd take it. then order 1 @ 200 from newegg.com

(just my depinion)

My Camel
  • caryrae 92 Points
    If you can return or exchange that's what I would do. My 765 works fine on my windows 7 laptop.
  • hey guys, thanks for the responses so fast on that!

SO, called them again at second tier Motorola support
    and they insisted i DO need a micro SD to run a connection successfully to the toolbox--- i dunno?

so i am just going to go get one today and make a final attempt to make the toolbox work . if that doesn't work. i will have to return:(

but--hopefully i can get an exchange for a replacement
    i'd like to keep it---aside from not having the new 195/95 interchange in providence and a few small blue-tooth connection/OS related things it's been a pretty great device.

p.s.. the girl i spoke with did tell me that i was entitled to the free map upgrade for Q4..

keep you posted--thanks!

d.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Why they keep telling you that you need a micro SD to connect to Toolbox is beyond me. I don't have one and it connects just fine to Toolbox. Even if we were suppose to need one one wouldn't one have been included with the device. Unless they are with those mysterious code cards we were suppose to get in the box but never did.
  • motonav2010, I have been connecting my 765 to my Windows 7 laptop with Toolbox since day one without a single hitch. The "you need a micro SD card" line is a bunch of bull. I haven't had a card in there yet and I constantly connect to Toolbox with no problems.

I really think there is something wrong with your device. I would most definitely exchange it, or better yet take My Camel's advice and return it completely and order one from Newegg for $200 and save yourself some money for the hassle. D
  • yeah, i am starting to lean towards that notion. i mentioned to them that i was getting plenty of feedback on the point you guys are making.
    but i will buy a 11 dollar 2GB micro SD and go through the steps with them anyway.
    then i can get a defect number and get a new replacement motonav if need be..

will let you know what the outcome is on it!
  • UPDATE: yep, support with level/tier 2 didn't work:(
    (i do not know why they insisted on the micro SD for this)--thank god for the forum or i woulda been screwed!

also we updated the Motorola drivers from the web and that didn't work either...

sadly, it has to go back.

on the bright side, i am getting a full refund through amazon-- and getting a prepaid label for the return:) because it's inside 30 days.

i am looking about getting a new one fast because other than that it was solid--- how long is that deal going on with newegg?!
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i thnk it's only until the 18th or 19th. go to newegg.com. plug in tn765t. the first line or so from the top says to use the code xxxxx (i've forgotten what it is).

it works. i ordered one. should be here tomorrow or so. i may order another and send my amazon one back. still not sure if i will.
  • cool!

thanks, will do tonight. i guess this is the silver lining to this problem..
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I just actually ordered mine about 30 min. ago (4/15 4:50pm EDT) and the deal still is good until the 18th (thru Saturday??? as it states "ends 4/18 ) The code is MOTO765T - You have to start the order and it comes up $299.99 then add promo code further down. It may kick you out and have you log in again to take the code - it did me every time I started the process.

I just discovered you can't put the numeral 8 next to a parenthesis or you get a 8)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I just discovered you can't put the numeral 8 next to a parenthesis or you get a 8)
    You can do that, just tick the 'Disable BBCode in this post' box when you reply. ;)
  • sent defective motonav with prepaid label back this afternoon at UPS store----just ordered a new one from newegg 5 min ago!
    (deal is still in there with the free shipping!)

fingers crossed on this one!

hope the maps will be squared away once i get it, so i can load up with the latest..

cheers,

d.
  • Glad to hear it came down to more realistic price. I am not going for it anyway, since I already have my navigon, plus garmin xt in my mobile. I'am covered. Still, for those who are in between systems, this looks like a good bargain, unless you want to wait another month and see it drop another $50.

Between replacing a heating/cooling system in my home and awaiting for a kid next month, no more wasteful spending for me.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    gosh. where ARE your priorities?????

hmmm.

GPS
    heating/cooling
    child.

no contest :roll:
  • egale 0 Points
    Just got mine today. The jury is still out. The interface is different enough from Tomtom and Garmin that I found it difficult to pick up and use right away. But I have some issues:

1. While trying to create favorites, I wound up creating folders in the favorites area. I don't need or want them but I can't figure out a way of deleting them! Very frustrating.

2. I found no easy way to search for POIs in a specific city. You can search by category but it gives you results by miles from your location. This is not good for searching a specific area. But, if you go to enter an address and enter the city and then enter "restaurant" for address, it searches for POIs in the city for restaurant in name or in the restaurant category. Is this the only way to do it?

3. Routing. Haven't gotten to take it more than 1/2 mile from my home to the drug store, train station then home. But it picked a route twice as long as need be to get me home from the station. Even when I turned the opposite way, it still tried to route me back to the long way around. Will have to see how it routes if I choose shortest distance or mostly highway.

4. Voice command - Absolutely horrible. My Tomtom 920 has a 95% accuracy rate. This thing so far is about 5%. Worthless unfortunately.

Will have to really use it to see how it routes me.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    1. While trying to create favorites, I wound up creating folders in the favorites area. I don't need or want them but I can't figure out a way of deleting them! Very frustrating.

2. I found no easy way to search for POIs in a specific city. You can search by category but it gives you results by miles from your location. This is not good for searching a specific area. But, if you go to enter an address and enter the city and then enter "restaurant" for address, it searches for POIs in the city for restaurant in name or in the restaurant category. Is this the only way to do it?

3. Routing. Haven't gotten to take it more than 1/2 mile from my home to the drug store, train station then home. But it picked a route twice as long as need be to get me home from the station. Even when I turned the opposite way, it still tried to route me back to the long way around. Will have to see how it routes if I choose shortest distance or mostly highway.

4. Voice command - Absolutely horrible. My Tomtom 920 has a 95% accuracy rate. This thing so far is about 5%. Worthless unfortunately
    1. put anything in the folder, then delete it.
    2. "tab" over to city before you put in the POI you're interested in
    3. can't answer
    4. yeah. i think i saw that as well. it has to do with accoustics, i'm sure. in a quiet enviornment (office or home) it works fine. they will have a car kit available with a remote mic. that would take care of it.

My Camel
  • egale 0 Points

4. Voice command - Absolutely horrible. My Tomtom 920 has a 95% accuracy rate. This thing so far is about 5%. Worthless unfortunately

1. put anything in the folder, then delete it.
    2. "tab" over to city before you put in the POI you're interested in
    3. can't answer
    4. yeah. i think i saw that as well. it has to do with accoustics, i'm sure. in a quiet enviornment (office or home) it works fine. they will have a car kit available with a remote mic. that would take care of it.

My Camel

Just took it out again for the same 1/2 mile trip. Doesn't care how I select it, shortest, fastest or most highways, it routes me the same way 1.1 miles instead of the way I go .5 miles. Not good.

Also, I can move favorites into the unwanted folders but when I try and delete the folder, it empties it out but the folder remains!!!! Not good too.

Tried the voice recognition indoors in a quiet area. Still the same.
  • egale 0 Points
    I take back some of what I said, the folders this time were deleted. Good!!!!
  • egale, did you hook your unit up to the Motorola Toolbox software and get the two updates that are available? One is a Bluetooth update and the other is a big software/OS update.

I know for a fact that the software/OS update fixed some important things. I was having a problem deleting folders from favorites and that update solved that problem. Who knows, it may even solve some routing problems because I have never had mine choose a ridiculous route that was much longer.
  • egale 0 Points
    The first thing I did was do the updates. The folders finally deleted, not sure why but they are gone. The weird routing is just that. I will really have to use it to see how it does. But when it messes up something like this, it will be hard to trust until I see how it does on other know routes.
  • Oh ok. Yeah I would definitely not judge this GPS on just one route. There isn't a GPS on the planet that has perfect routing. That's just a fact.

Try a few different routes that you are used to and see what happens. If it's having poor routing in almost everything you do, then that's definitely a problem.

Here in San Diego I have used it to go all over the place at locations that I'm used to and it's always done a great job.