This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• FTJoe 0 Points
    Cool - got the phone connected Contacts loaded, very cool. But when I make a call, and then finish it. No more sound from the GPS, voice, clicks, nothing? I also have to try the google thing now. When I send it, I assume I have some time to go out and connect via the phone? Cause I've sent a ton of links so far.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    well, #1, the voice thing: it's talking to your phone. that's a limitation. you have to answer it, then immediately change from bluetooth/GPS to phone. otherwise you're tied in to the Bluetooth and NOT on your phone. it sucks.

#2. your other "links" won't show up because of the issue with s/n. only those that go to the (non-1) "proper" (incoorect) s/n will go through. but i don't think there's a time restriction. good luck. let us know if it works~!
  • FTJoe 0 Points
    Does suck, what if I click out to the phone just before I kill the connection?

I'll try the send to GPS again, but I've tried with the 1, without it, without the 100..
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I had occasion to use my Tracfone with the 765t today and it seemed to go OK. This phone will not sync contacts so I dialed from the phone and it immediately switched to the Moto speaker. Carried on a decent conversation and the other party had no trouble hearing me, which was good considering I was in my old noisy El Camino going down the PA turnpike. The gps was on the dash directly behind my steering wheel and about 30 inches away. I did have a route active and all audio instructions did cease while on the call, but the audio resumed as soon as I hung up the call by tapping the end call icon on the gps. I was pleasantly surprised it worked as well as it did.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    I`m sure you probably already know this Spyder, but if you wish to auto call a number, one good way is to view "recent calls", then select the phone number listed in the list, and tap on that phone number, the tn765t will automatically dial it for you. The only drawback is, of course, is that you can only call numbers either made by you, or recieved, on the 765t....and is recorded in that list.........
  • FTJoe 0 Points
    My audio stays off it seems even when I pull down weather, only way to get it back is to hold the power for 10secs and reboot.

Motorola V3m, is text messaging going to work on this? I was paired and received a text but nothing happened on the GPS.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Unfortunately Motorola's compatibility list is (admittedly) incomplete so we will have to rely on user/owner experience for many phones.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Did you ever find out why you lost the voice feature after connecting your cell phone to your psa? I JUST recieved my 2nd 765t, and just installed the updates for it about 2 hrs. ago. Then, I paired my Motorola phone to it, and made a test call to my cell from the house phone, my cell phone rang, the 765t annouced the incoming number, and I too, lost ALL voice features on it (the 765t). I double checked all of my audio settings, and made sure the "mute" wasn`t activated, and I just did a "soft" reset, but no voice is audible from it at all at this point. I may have to bite the bullet and TRY and conatact tesh support in the morning....quite discouraging on my end as you may well imagine......I didn`t experance this with my primary 765t........
  • JeffMorse 0 Points
    Having a pretty severe volume issue now that I've applied the most recent update to my 765. She's so low I can barely hear her now. Any ideas on how to fix this?
  • moondog151 41 Points
    I`m having the same problem with mine too. It sure sounds like something`s afowl with thier latest update. I`ll try and get ahold of tech suppor myself in the a.m. and if I get anywhere there, I`ll try and pass thier info along.......like FTJoe posted, holding the on/off switch to left for 10 seconds or a little longer, MAY help you. Right now, thats the only way for me to get my audio back, after an incming call on my cell phone....
  • roadmate 0 Points
    I have the same issue with my TN765. I have no voice at all since i called and answered through the GPS. I may roll back the software update. Anyone tried to go back and see if thr software update caused the issue.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Thanks for the info on that problem happening to you too. If I can`t get thru to tech support tomorrow, thats exactly what I`m gong to do. I`ll roll it back to the original backup I made before installing ANY updates. I also made a backup right after the first update, and then again, after the last Q4 update......afterthought, even if I DO get thru to tech support, most likely I`LL roll it back anyways, because everything worked fine for me right out of the box.
  • roadmate 0 Points
    I am recharging with my computer and then i will test some more before rolling back. I remember having a bluetooth update but i installed the software update first and then the bluetooth update disappeared. I wonder if this issue is due to not updating bluetooth first. I will reconnect to toolbox to see if there are any updates before rolling back.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Yes, keep us posted on your progress for sure if you would, please. Is this the update that started giving you audio problems? It surely is the culprit, for me......I`m positive of it. Sorry for the extraneous letters behind the pic, but I haven`t figured how to edit those characters out yet......image
  • dhn 336 Points
    I took the offending letters out, moondog. It appears you are showing the blocks twice instead of once each at beginning and end.

To imbed an image, click the Img button on top of your post, then paste the link to your image. finally the button at the top of the post will show as *Img. Just click it once.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Thank you dhn, I appreciate your advice, and I will surely try that!!
  • roadmate 0 Points
    I hooked up yo toolbox and there were no updates. I am rolling back now to the 2nd to last update and will let you no the results. I am guessing all the map updates i did are rolling back also .
  • roadmate 0 Points
    OK all is back working with version 8.5.4.136569. The 60 update has a bug and i recommend all to revert back unless you do not use your phone with this unit. The restore also reverted back all my map updates but i am going to use the device as it is. Motorola needs to let us know what these updates fix and beta test before releasing any more updates.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    My, my....the gps gods work in mysterious ways! :roll:

Twelve days ago I had problems with the 8.5.5.139160 update and cautioned others not to update although my problems were different. I lost the "Settings" button and could not even turn on B/T. I rolled back to v8.5.4.136569 and all has been A-OK.

Let us know how Motonav tech support treats you and the problem. It has now been 12 days since I called and emailed and I have not had any response. (Don't forget to take the forum Poll at Motorola (Motonav) Customer Service after you deal with them.)

For many users the free MotonavExtras subscription will expire in about 30 days and Moto is not getting another penny out of me until I see some accountability with regard to customer service, tech support and release of promised features.
  • FTJoe 0 Points
    I never figured out why the voice went away.

In regards to the volume issue, check settings--> audio and make sure its set to 100%, mine was 75%.
  • egale 0 Points
    In regards to the volume issue, check settings--> audio and make sure its set to 100%, mine was 75%.
    This weekend was my first use after the "upgrade". I noticed right away that the volume which before was fine was now way too low. I thought maybe I had lowered the volume by mistake but the volume was set all the way up. Finally I went into audio setting and saw the main volume there was set to 75%! After raising that back to 100%, the unit worked fine.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    I think your low volume issue will go away if you go to the setup and increase the software volume to 100%

My Camel
  • moondog151 41 Points
    I got lucky this a.m., and got thru to Motorola tech support. The lady I talked to, was Nancy, and here is a little information I was able to get from her. First, Motorola is NOT working on fixing the bugs in the "60" update, even tho I mentioned to her, that MANY MANY people are having various system issues with that release. Her main suggestion was to send the unit back, with an appropriate RA number, that they are supposed to email me within 24hrs. She took all pertinent information on how/when my particular problem developed, and would pass it on the appropriate engineers (which I doubt wlll help according to thier track record). Since this is my "spare" 765t, (my primary one is in my Cherokee), I just did a system restore prior to any updates that I did yesterday. I just got done testing my unit after the restore procedure, and everything is working just like it did, when I first took it out of the box. Personally, I can truely live without the last update provided by them. I took Spyders update problem to heart, but should of heeded his warning not to even attempt, to do the "60" update, guess I was just stubborn and I learned my lesson.
  • Finally pulled the trigger! Once the thing arrives, I'm looking forward to joining in the discussion! I can't wait to play with this thing. Not trying to get my hopes up, but I've been so disappointed with the features that I lost when my Navigon died that it will be nice to see them integrated with the things I like about my Garmin!
    I don't plan on using the GPS as a speaker phone (have a BT earpiece for that) so maybe I won't have some of the issues noted above. We'll see!

(hopefully my first post will be a "wow" and not a "$@#%^!" :wink: )

Oh, and as a prelude of things to come...I changed my avatar so I could be like all the rest of you Moto-cool guys! Anybody planning to post a cleaner, crisper version of it? Seems fitting, as this display is supposed to be so good...
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Hahahahaa, yes, I`m hoping your first posting will be a "wow!" too. I`ve had over 11 different brands/units over the years, and for my partiuclar needs, this one really does beat my others out, by far! The satellite acquisition time is just super, so is the re-routing feature. It beats my Magellan, Tom Tom, and Garmin 7200 hands down!! I do hope your as satisfied as many of us are....have my fingers crossed for you......
  • moondog151 41 Points
    I forgot to mention in my last post, the lady "Nancy" asked me WHY I did the toolbox updates as I have only had my "spare 765t" for less than a week? I told her, that it is the NORMAL thing to do when recieving a new item, do the appropriate available updates, asap. She said I should of waited 60 days first before doing the updates......go figure......the free updates would of expired for the Q4 map release, So new owners, please do a backup of your pda BEFORE any updates you may wish to try and install, that saved me, personally.....
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    My thoughts on a couple points -

Motorola is NOT working on fixing the bugs in the "60" update, even tho I mentioned to her, that MANY MANY people are having various system issues with that release. Her main suggestion was to send the unit back, with an appropriate RA number....

What arrogance or possibly just ignorance on the CS's part. Wasn't any further explanation given, i.e. "we will release a complete new update 6x, 7x, etc. shortly"? Any corporate apology line, at the very least, that users were experiencing problems? Getting an RMA number is the same crap I got and I am still waiting for that number. Once again the CS at Moto do not understand the concept of restoring the gps system as a fix that will save them time, money and effort as all they will do is send back a new gps with default/old software installed. Now, if GM or Ford decided to replace your entire car because the dome light stopped working then that would be a deal! :wink:

"Nancy" asked me WHY I did the toolbox updates as I have only had my "spare 765t" for less than a week? I told her, that it is the NORMAL thing to do when recieving a new item, do the appropriate available updates, asap. She said I should of waited 60 days first before doing the updates.

I agree. Any prudent user would apply the update. It is unfortunate that they do not give any history changes or info on what the update fixes or enhances, whichever the case may be. Again poor corporate accountability. One can only speculate why the CS felt a user should wait 60 days. Once again I am guessing she is confused with the policy that states map updates are free within 60 days of initial use.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    My feelings are the same Spyder, CS is either ignorant of user`s problems, or just don`t seem to care. In response to your question if new updates will be available, Nancy said "not that I`m aware of", now, she spoke in a very heavy dialic so it was extremely hard to understand her. Even when I asked her to "repeat" a sentence or two. I`ve been aware of your problems with thier tech support also and I do hope they respond to you. Bottom line with me, is that even if they do send me an RA number, I`m not going to send it back for the exact reasons you stated. I can certainly live without their last update, and will just occasionally check Motorola`s site to see if they might fix the problems they have created.
    I also told her, that they should post any update problems, onto thier support page, to which I didn`t get a response to.........
  • FTJoe 0 Points
    Too funny, usually the first piece of advice from CS is to apply all updates and see if that takes care of the issue.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, FTJoe........that particular question, when I was asked, is definately a 1rst from Customeer Support......on why I immediately installed the available updates.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I dunno guys, based on Moto's reorganization woes and being the ultimate pessimist that I am, we may be up the proverbial creek without a paddle :shock: for quite some time. And it is such a nice gps with good intentions and features. As I have mentioned, the next big hurdle will be to decide what to do about re-upping for MotoExtras. At the rate things are going hopefully somebody at Moto will forget to flip the switch. :roll:
  • Jeesh! Part of Standard Operating Procedure of any "flashable or updatable" device is to apply all known updates as soon as it comes out of the box! It's gonna kill me knowing that my software is out of date for fear of bugs!

I would have thought more of a company the size and age of Motorola!

It's just not right. C'mon Moto! Man-up! :?
  • MoggSquad 0 Points
    Opinion on the TN555 ($110) vs Garmin 855 ($140) vs TomTom 540S ($100 refurb)

Does the TN555 have any features similar to the ones below?

1. Lane Assist w/ Junction view (Garmin) / Advanced Lane Guidance (Tom)
    2. Automatic Time Zone Change (seems to be Garmin specific)
    3. Text to Speech.

Also anyone have experiences with this in rural/isolated areas. I may be moving to a mountainous area of Utah.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Until one of the tn555 owners chimes in you could check out the specs at:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/MOTONAV/MOTONAV-TN555-US-EN

I would say the answer to #1 is YES, #2 - I just don't know as I have yet to leave my time zone, #3 - YES
  • MadHatter 0 Points
    3. Text to Speech.

Also anyone have experiences with this in rural/isolated areas. I may be moving to a mountainous area of Utah.
    It does have TTS.

I took it with me as I drove from Maryland to Montreal (going north via Harrisburg, Scranton, Binghampton, Syracuse and Watertown going Northbound and via Albany, and the I-95 corridor southbound). I had no problems with reception in the rural areas. The lane assist worked well in the big and small cities. Worked in Canada too, much to my surprise. In Canada there was no speed limit info, however.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    If anyone is looking for an extra suction cup mount for your Moto check this one at Amazon:

Garmin Suction Cup Mount for GPS 20SM (010-10848-00)
    Buy new: $5.78 (Regularly $27.99)

Gift-wrap available :roll:
  • tdekany 81 Points
    I haven't read all of the last few pages, but in case:

I went to Sears and they have both units on display with a sign underneath saying: COMING SOON.

Sales rep couldn't tell when but was hoping 2 weeks or so.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I never thought of Sears as a gps store, but doing a search for "gps" online brings up 4,300 items! Lots of actual gps models and lots of accessories.

They have the Moto units listed and prices are higher than other sources. They even have the "old" TN30 unit listed as $222.26. Another thread indicates it is available (refurbished) from TigerD for $80.

TN555T - $198.00
    TN565T - $278.91
    TN765T - $306.89

Update: I now see that Sears online sells their Moto gps products thru AntOnline, a company with questionable reviews. No idea how Sears would deal with a problem, if encountered -

ANTOnline.com is a national provider of Computer Server & Desktop components and peripherals. We specialize in Data Center Servers and related Components.
  • MoggSquad 0 Points
    Ok, I think it would be best to buy a higher end GPS. The 765t does seem like an attractive option with it's screen and features. I'm starting to lean towards paying the extra $$$ to buy it.

I will make time to read over all the pages of this thread to see what people are saying about it, but in the meantime can current owners vouch as this as being an all around reliable GPS as far as routing, poi, lag, hardware and overall good map experience?

Also a couple side questions...

-Does this unit have automatic time zone change (not important but nice to
    have)

-Does Motorola use Navteq or Teleatlas?
  • tdekany 81 Points
    I was looking at washing machines. :) :) :)
    I never thought of Sears as a gps store, but doing a search for "gps" online brings up 4,300 items! Lots of actual gps models and lots of accessories.

They have the Moto units listed and prices are higher than other sources. They even have the "old" TN30 unit listed as $222.26. Another thread indicates it is available (refurbished) from TigerD for $80.

TN555T - $198.00
    TN565T - $278.91
    TN765T - $306.89

Update: I now see that Sears online sells their Moto gps products thru AntOnline, a company with questionable reviews. No idea how Sears would deal with a problem, if encountered -

ANTOnline.com is a national provider of Computer Server & Desktop components and peripherals. We specialize in Data Center Servers and related Components.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I was looking at washing machines.

That will get you into trouble every time! :wink:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    -Does this unit have automatic time zone change (not important but nice to
    have)

-Does Motorola use Navteq or Teleatlas?
    don't remember if it does or not. Arach doesn't travel very far. He has limited mobility. Just spins webs.

Navteq.

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    As I stated earlier - I have yet to leave my time zone for parts unknown. Don't recall it mentioned anywhere.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Camel - so, you edited your post while I napped ..... You are correct in that I have not traveled very far of late. Just go 'round in circles it seems. NO wonder I am so dizzy. That will change soon enough.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yeah. i know. i'm tricky that way. i say things, then check myself rather than the other way around.

My Camel
  • IT arrived today!

...and I'm in Roanoke...suckage... :(
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    It's 7:45 PM EDT and I cannot connect to MotoExtras page or motonav.naviextras.com. Also cannot get connected to my th765t via Moto Toolbox. Anybody else having any problems? Or...is it just me again :?: :oops:

8:10 pm - motonav.naviextras.com is not working and I can log into my account/profile.

BUT when using Moto Toolbox I cannot log in to my account (and yes, I did log off the web site) Same account/username/password.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    'tis thee, o' spidery one. i just connected to the toolbox fine and it be backing up as it should.

problem be urs i dost believe.

My Camel
  • MoggSquad 0 Points
    Ok, I am pretty set on ordering the 765. I can get it shipped to me by Saturday before I leave for my trip for $230 shipped.

My last question about this unit...

I want to steer clear of the 8.5.5.139160 update due to the previous comments above. When I receive this unit and update it will I have the option to install v8.5.4.136569 instead?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    will I have the option to install v8.5.4.136569 instead?
    it would depend on when the unit you receive, was produced.

i don't think they will make a previous version available.

i'm running it and have seen the problem occur only when i turned on the bluetooth to download a couple of google locations.

the solution is simple. press and hold the power button, then turn on again. it reboots after about 10 seconds and viola! problem solved.

My Camel