This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• caryrae 92 Points
    ...the traffic is ad supported, but from what I've seen so far it is unnoticeable. I definitely will keep using it more, but I've never once seen an ad "pop up" yet. On the main menu there is an "Offer Inbox". If you choose to click in there, all of the offers will be listed, "Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Sears, etc.". But you have to manually click in there, it doesn't just pop up. As far as pop ups on the actual map while in route, I haven't noticed any.

Thanks. Here's what the manual says on page 30:
    "When traffic service is on, ads pop up on the map. You can
    also access these ads by tapping the map, then tapping Main Menu > Offer Inbox. Tap the ad to see the offer and find nearby locations."

Just wondering if they pop up when you've come to a stop, while traveling, etc., if they pop up on the actual map, and how long the ad stays on without user input.
    I used mine to go a couple places today and never saw one ad popup in the 35 miles total I drove with it on.
  • papa 0 Points
    I used to go to a couple places today and never saw one ad popup in the 35 miles total I drove with it on.
    I wonder if that depends on what area you are in, or if the business has to be within a certain mile radius.
  • I also have never seen an ad pop up while I've been driving yet. The only thing I did notice is that when I passed an Olive Garden, the actual logo of Olive Garden showed up in the POI balloon instead of the generic restaurant icon.

I wonder if that is considered a popup ad? Because I know for sure in my "Offer Inbox", Olive Garden is in there.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I have 4 offers in my offer box, Red Lobster, Sears, Olive Garden and Best Western and all but the Olive Garden have the generic icon and like you Olive Garden actually says olive garden in the icon.

On the 1690 when an ad pops up for like Walgreens or Wells Fargo it seems to happen when stopped and there is one nearby.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Not sure about this gps now. Just got 3 address for places I will be working next week and the 765 could only find 1 but my 1690 and Navigon app on my iPhone found all 3 no problem. One of the addresses is 601 carlson parkway, Minnetonka, MN which was easy to find on my other gps's but on the 765 it says it is in Hopkins which is south of Minnetonka and the address in the northern part of Minnetonka. The other address it can't find at all but when I search the map on the 765 I can find the street in the city but it still can't find the address when I type it in but my other gps's found it no problem. So it looks like the maps need a lot of work. If it can't find 2 simple addresses it doesn't do me much good, hopefully it gets fixed.
  • caryrae, I haven't had any problems with routing yet, but then again I live in San Diego which is obviously a big city and I haven't went too many different places with it yet.

But other than that, I absolutely love this unit. I can't really find many things wrong with it for my needs. I would 100% recommend this unit to anyone.
  • I will be getting my unit on Monday from Amazon. I currently have a Garmin 1390T which does a pretty good job, however after seeing WizeGuy's unit up close and personal I decided to do the leap of faith and bought it. I'm pretty excited to see what it can do, and for what I will be using it for, it should be more than enough.
  • A few thoughts on newly arrived 765t.
    I can mount it on my Garmin mount as the mounting ball is the same size.
    At this point I'm far from convinced that it will replace my Garmin. I don't see any way to create a route and save it. I don't see any way to add custom POI's or proximity alerts even though there is a "others" tab under POI with nothing in it. I thought you could charge it via usb on computer but I received low battery warning after leaving it plugged in all night. It wouldn't load my contacts from my Tmobile Dash although the phone works nice. There were two updates available when I connected to Motorola toolbox. Does Tmobile have a phone available that will work with bluetooth messaging? I couldn't find one. Well off to the car today....more to come
  • Has anyone been able to get their free map update?
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Mine was charging via USB on my computer. I saw the orange charging light by the power switch.

I called motorola about the map update and the lady that I talked to said there was no map update available for the unit (765t) which makes no sense since the unit says 2009 Q1 is on it but there seems to be a 2009 Q4 available (Get the latest ${d.Y2009Q4} (${d.MEX}: ${d.Y2009Q4}) map with up-to-date POIs and street maps to update your older maps) unless these map updates don't work on these new units but not sure why that would be.

I see on the website it says with the motoextras you can "send address from web to PND" how do we do this?
  • caryrae 92 Points
    It wouldn't load my contacts from my Tmobile Dash although the phone works nice. There were two updates available when I connected to Motorola toolbox. Does Tmobile have a phone available that will work with bluetooth messaging? I couldn't find one. Well off to the car today....more to come
    Do you have the HTC Dash, cause when I look at the compatibility page for the t-mobile HTC Dash it only shows compatible with the TN30. When I looked for my iPhone 3GS it shows the 765t as one of the devices that is compatible. Then at the bottom it says "Click here to see what else you can do with your Apple IPhone 3GS and Motorola TN700 Series" and a box pops up saying "your motonav pnd and handset will support the functions checked below which are Hands free calling and Mobile Phonebook sync"

So it could be your phone doesn't support the mobile phonebook sync.
  • WizeGuyDezignz 5 Points
    edited March 2010
    Mine was charging via USB on my computer. I saw the orange charging light by the power switch.

I called motorola about the map update and the lady that I talked to said there was no map update available for the unit (765t) which makes no sense since the unit says 2009 Q1 is on it but there seems to be a 2009 Q4 available (Get the latest ${d.Y2009Q4} (${d.MEX}: ${d.Y2009Q4}) map with up-to-date POIs and street maps to update your older maps) unless these map updates don't work on these new units but not sure why that would be.

I see on the website it says with the motoextras you can "send address from web to PND" how do we do this?
    Yes, mine definitely charges via my USB cable until the light turns green and then when I turn the unit on, it is fully charged. timothyjok, you might want to look into that.

caryrae, you can definitely send an address from the web to your device. It's actually really cool. I think your Garmin can probably do it too.

You don't even have to have your Motorola connected to the USB cable to do this.

The way you do it is you go to www.googlemaps.com. Click on "Get Directions" and add a route. After you get your directions, there is a button on the upper right hand corner of the map that says "Send". It gives you options, but you will choose "GPS".

Then a drop down list comes up of GPS manufacturers. You obviously choose "Motorola" and then it will ask you for the serial number from the bottom of your unit. Then you send the address to your unit.

Then, go to the main menu of the Motorola. Click on "Favorites" and inside that menu you will see a folder named "Google Location". Once inside the Google folder just click on "Update" and it will pull all of the routes that you have sent to the device via a quick bluetooth phone call.

It's really cool!
    edited March 2010
    A few thoughts on newly arrived 765t.
    I can mount it on my Garmin mount as the mounting ball is the same size.
    At this point I'm far from convinced that it will replace my Garmin. I don't see any way to create a route and save it. I don't see any way to add custom POI's or proximity alerts even though there is a "others" tab under POI with nothing in it. I thought you could charge it via usb on computer but I received low battery warning after leaving it plugged in all night. It wouldn't load my contacts from my Tmobile Dash although the phone works nice. There were two updates available when I connected to Motorola toolbox. Does Tmobile have a phone available that will work with bluetooth messaging? I couldn't find one. Well off to the car today....more to come
    I don't see why you can't create and save a route. Unless my understanding of creating and saving a route is different, all you do is go to your main menu. Then click on "Trip Planner".

From there, you click on "Add". Then you just start adding all of your locations. The first time you do this it will by default call your trip "Trip 1". You can just click on that and customize the name of your route.

You can also click on edit and optimize your route with the "Optimize" button. Or you can click and drag to change the order of your locations if you wish. Once you click "Done" the trip (route) is saved in the "Trip Planner" folder. Is that what you were asking?

As for custom POI, you might want to check this thread that gatorguy posted earlier:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21203

If nothing else, I'm sure someone will figure out a way within time since this device was just released. But since it's Windows based, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to add custom POI.

Quick question though, why would you want to add custom POI on this? It already has 7 million installed and the Google function makes that number virtually limitless.

For the charging issue, my USB cable definitely charges my unit. The light will go from orange to green while charging and when I turn my unit on I can tell it was charged. You might want to look into which kind of USB port you are using or call Motorola if it might be your unit.

As for your phone, that's interesting that the phone part of it works but it won't sync your contacts. I would call Motorola and find out. I'm sure they can easily add support with an update in the future. I have a Verizon enV Touch and the phone and contacts works for me.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    AFAIK. the optimization is simply sorting.
  • AFAIK. the optimization is simply sorting.
    I think you are correct, I didn't really try it yet.
  • Just as an update, the TN765t just went down to $294..75 on Amazon!
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    @timothyjok -
    I thought you could charge it via usb on computer but I received low battery warning after leaving it plugged in all night.

Don't PCs stop sending 5v to the USB port if it goes to sleep or into hibernation? Check your power settings, especially if it is a laptop.
  • @timothyjok -
    I thought you could charge it via usb on computer but I received low battery warning after leaving it plugged in all night.

Don't PCs stop sending 5v to the USB port if it goes to sleep or into hibernation? Check your power settings, especially if it is a laptop.
    Good catch Spyder, that might be the problem.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Just as an update, the TN765t just went down to $294..75 on Amazon!
    Gotta admit Amazon does a nice job of presenting a product, i.e., description, features.

Anybody know what this "feature" is? Pro-Install Version: Available
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    And Under PHYSICAL Description

Physical Display Type: TFT, 600-700 nits

Display Size: 5.1" cinematic, 358 x 854 pixels

Weight: 6.14 oz.

Size (HxWxD): 5.30 x 2.76 x 0.55"

Antenna Type: Internal

Form Factor: Candy bar Does this mean it is so good you just want to eat it up? :roll:

----
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    A big thanks for prompting me to check it again, comparing to the nuvi 760. I only gave that feature a quick try before and I've only got this for a few more days. :(

Yes, it appears to be sorting rather than true optimization.
  • Just as an update, the TN765t just went down to $294..75 on Amazon!

Gotta admit Amazon does a nice job of presenting a product, i.e., description, features.

Anybody know what this "feature" is?
    Pro-Install Version: Available
    Pro-Install is something they are selling where you can "permanently" mount the GPS and hard wire it through your audio system. It also includes iPod connectivity. I think Motorola or an authorized dealer I'm assuming will do the install.

I think they are selling the kit for $199.

I won't ever be buying this kit because my needs don't call for it, but it seems pretty cool because you can still pop the GPS off and bring it with you.

So it's like a mix between making it an in-car GPS and portable at the same time.
  • And Under PHYSICAL Description

Physical Display Type: TFT, 600-700 nits

Display Size: 5.1" cinematic, 358 x 854 pixels

Weight: 6.14 oz.

Size (HxWxD): 5.30 x 2.76 x 0.55"

Antenna Type: Internal

Form Factor: Candy bar Does this mean it is so good you just want to eat it up? :roll:

----
    I'm assuming it means that it's the shape (form factor) of a candy bar (rectangular), but that's a great way of translating it! :lol:
  • Thanks folks for all the suggestions. I took it out for a drive today. I think that I'm going to like it after I get used to it. It is the only GPS I've owned that gave me the correct/preferable/most practical route home from work. Very pleased about that.

I tried the voice control with mixed results. I first had it dial a phone number and it took ten attempts to get it right. It wasn't understanding me to well. Then I spoke an address into it and it worked flawlessly. Very cool. the difference being it showed me options for the street name and told me to speak the correct number next to it. With the number input it didn't give me options it just kept repeating what it thought i said and asking me if it was correct. When I answered no it cleared the number and started over

It froze on me once for about twenty seconds when I opened the main menu.

Haven't quite figured out how the traffic and speed indicator work. I did get a red speed indicator in the lower right hand corner with my speed in red but i couldn't see anywhere that displayed the actual speed limit'

It recalculates extremely fast. Most times i only heard "re' before it gave me the new route.

The display is not good in direct sunlight.

I'm going to call Amazon about the price difference. Their policy states that they don't price match so I might have to return it for another one.

I'll be using it more later today so stay tuned
  • caryrae 92 Points
    One thing nice on the 765t that I don't remember the 1690 do is it will say different names for the street you need to turn on. Like it will say turn on county road 10, main street.

I saw a pic of the 765t and it showed mountains in 3D does it really do this.

edited March 2010
    caryrae, it's funny you say that because I was telling myself the same thing last night. I love that it announces more detail than other GPS devices. Like you said, I was driving and it said something like "exit 23b, Sea World Drive". I like that it gives you the exit number and exit name. Good catch.

That pic is 100% correct. The device does exactly as it shows in that pic when you are driving in mountain areas and such. Cool feature.

The more I use this thing, the more I like it. It is easily the most complete GPS that I have ever used for my needs.
  • timothyjok, they should price match for you. My buddy ordered one last night and the price changed this morning. They adjusted the price for him.

And if they don't want to do it, just threaten that you will return yours and buy another one which is a bigger hassle for them and you.
  • Rather than going back through all the postings, did Motorola say FREE lifetime traffic, or just Streaming traffic ?
  • lucky, it's free lifetime.
  • Just got off the phone with Amazon. "we don't have any price guarantee but i will make an exception since it's within seven days" well geez thanks because I might actually keep this one after three failed attempts at finding a working Garmin
  • WizeGuyDezignz - The review below by cnet.com on the Motorola TN30 from last Jan (2009) seems troubling. Could Motorola have improved that much in one year ? See highlighted. If you panned Cydle and returned your Navigon 7200T after just a few days with the TN765T, maybe they have ??

IN SUM
    In the already crowded market of 4.3-inch PNDs, the Motonav TN30 falls short of the well-established players, such as the Garmin Nuvi 265WT or the TomTom GO 730, in all areas but price.

The Motonav TN30 made a fantastic first impression with its focused feature set, attractive interface, and intuitively designed menu structure. However, over the long term, we were disappointed by the devices' buggy and unstable software. Perhaps when Motorola releases a new software update the device will be more usable, but checking Motorola's Web site for a potential firmware update, we found no software support.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Saw the TN765t for $289 plus free shipping at buy.com. Don't know anything about buy.com so not sure how good or bad they are.
    edited March 2010
    Buy.com is excellent, I've bought a lot of things from them. Would definitely recommend if anyone is looking to get a TN765t.
  • what kind of POi files does Motonav use?
  • Buy.com is a good place to purchase things from.
  • what kind of POi files does Motonav use?
    They show up as .poi files on my unit.
  • yeah mine too. from what i read you can't customize the files with poi extension. I'm trying to figure out what extension the add on ones use like csv or gpx etc
  • Oh I see. Maybe we can just do a test by trial and error. I am willing to try it. Which folder would I put custom POI in? Create a new folder or try them in the existing one?
  • I would think the POI folder that's there
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Stop It, Stop It, Stop It, all of you. You evil people!

I just ordered my new MotoNav last night, and all this talking here, without having my 765T to play with is driving me crazy.

I have been using a Navigon 2100 Max for a few years and love it. I was anxiously waiting for the new Navigon models to come out last April with baited breath. When Navigon deserted the US market, I was seriously bummed.

Last Christmas my wife bought me a new Tom Tom, so she could keep the 2100 all to herself. The Tom Tom was horrible. The maps were ugly and it performed nowhere near up to the standards of my Navigon. I returned the Tom Tom and picked up Garmin 765t. It was a bit better, though only marginally as good as the Navigon. It does not display POI's when zoomed out and does not tell me if I am going too fast. I have been using it since Christmas while looking for an alternative.

Looks like I finally found my permanent replacement. I can't wait for Tuesday.
  • any additional reviews on this one? I took my navigon on the road this weekend, however, for no apparent reason it crashed a few times. However, terrain 3d was gorgeous on the mountainous terrain. If Motorola is half as good, I am willing to give it a try.

Please reply with what you like and especially don't like about Motorola 7 series concerning routing, crashes, etc. Thanks.

P.S. Buy.com is where I purchased my first GPS ever. Other than being overpriced at that time, everything worked out well.
  • xxhaimbondxx, come on man, you know me and my Navigon 7200T. I have been in the same boat as you over the last couple years where I could never find anything better than the 7200T.

But let me tell you, this Motorola is darn good man. Of course not every single thing is better than the 7200T, but overall it's much better.

As for the terrain view on the Motorola, I haven't witnessed it personally yet. But what I've seen from the photo, it looks just about half as good as the 7200T like you said. Doesn't look as good I think, but definitely better than anything other than the 7200T.

I also have not experienced a single crash or freeze with the Motorola yet. Everything is super smooth.

Here is what I like

1. The screen. Cinematic widescreen & resolution is superb (better than 7200T).

2. Map detail. The map graphics are gorgeous and the detail is superb. It is very detailed and very easy to read (better than 7200T). It's very easy on the eyes and the street names are big and in a balloon for easy readability. It also shows overpasses, train tracks, etc.

3. Map smoothness. While navigating the map moves as smooth as butter. It's great.

4. The layout. The left slideout is genius and works extremely well with the cinematic widescreen.

5. The TTS. It is super clear and almost flawless in pronunciation.

6. The turn warnings. It is the perfect balance of giving you enough reminders but not too chatty like the 7200T. It's a perfect amount.

7. Turn warning detail. I love that it says the exit number and the exit name together. For example it will say "take exit 23b, Sea World Drive". Also while driving in the city at 0.5 miles away from your next turn it will say "prepare to turn right in half a mile". Then at 0.25 miles away it will say "in a quarter mile, turn right on Main Street". Then at 100 yards and less the turn icon turns blue to know you are very close to your turn. Then about 30 yards or so away it will say "turn right on Main Street". It's truly excellent.

8. Satellite acquisition is phenomenal. This unit is always in "sleep" mode like the Navigon unless you hold the power button for 10 seconds are you don't use the unit for 4 days. Out of sleep mode it acquires a satellite much faster than the Navigon. It literally takes under 5 seconds.

9. Entering a destination is very easy and intuitive. There are many different ways and it's super fast and easy.

10. Lane Guidance and Junction View are very well done. I do prefer the Junction View full screen graphic on the Navigon, but this works great too.

11. Photo enforced traffic light warning is superb. Whenever I come close to a photo enforced traffic light it gives me a nice graphic on the screen (forget if there is an audible warning, I will check).

12. Speed trap warning is great too. If you are in a speed trap area, it will notify you and then your current speed shows up on a graphic on the screen in red.

13. Sending a route from Google Maps is super intuitive and a very cool feature. You just send a route, turn on your GPS, go into the "Favorites" folder, then the "Google" folder and press update. It syncs every route that you have sent.

14. The left slideout panel is one of a kind and works extremely well. This is where the extra wide 5.1" cinematic display really comes into play and shines. While navigation you can have this slideout panel open and still have plenty of map view on the screen. In this slideout panel you can choose aerial view, nearby POI's, dashboard (current location, speed, altitude, etc.), turn by turn directions, way points, trip info (your destination address, estimated arrival time, distance to destination, time remaining & elapsed time) and traffic. It is truly an exceptional feature and implemented perfectly.

15. Bing. The Bing service is a pretty neat feature that isn't vital but definitely can come in handy. I searched movie times with it the other night. You can also search stocks, news, sports scores, etc.

16. Bluetooth. The Bluetooth functionality is superb. It syncs with your phone very easily. It syncs contacts, recent calls & text messaging (if your phone is compatible, mine is not). The sound quality is good and my girlfriend said I sounded fine when I called her.

17. 3D landmarks. The 3D landmarks is a cool feature but not vital. It has some major attractions in San Diego on there, but I don't think quite as many as the Navigon.

18. MotoExtras. The MotoExtras are very cool in my opinion. The fuel prices, weather, flight status and Google Local Search are cool. The Google Local Search is vital to me. It makes the POI database limitless and it's implemented well.

19. POI. The pre-installed POI database is extremely robust. Motorola confirmed 7 million POI and it shows. It has been finding almost anything that I can throw at it.

20. Traffic. The traffic feature works very well and I haven't had a problem with it yet.

21. Build quality and design. The build quality and design are superb. The device is very well built and solid. I also love the frameless design of the screen (like the Navigon). I love how the traffic receiver is built into the cradle. The cradle and mount are very sturdy and work great. The device is super easy to pop on and off of the mount. It's one button push on the bottom.

22. MotoExtras cost. I think $99 for 3 years is very fair.

23. Auto day/night. The auto day/night feature on this works perfectly. It never worked on my Navigon correctly. On my Navigon it would get dark at like 700 PM when it got dark at 530. And that was even when I had Daylight Savings on. On this it adjusts correctly based on Daylight Savings.

Things I don't really like

1. Speed limit info. The speed limit icon doesn't show up enough. It definitely shows up on all highways and freeways, but not much on city streets. The Navigon has more.

2. Current street. I don't like that it doesn't show you which street that you are currently on. It just shows the next street on your route. Maybe I'm just spoiled with the Navigon in that department. I'm sure this can be added with an update?

3. Map update. My device shows Q1 2009 but according to Motorola's website, they are up to Q4 2009. The device is supposed to give you a free map update within 60 days of purchase. I can't seem to get it. I will contact Motorola tomorrow about this.

That is honestly all that I can complain about so far. This is the most complete GPS for my needs that I have ever used.

I will definitely keep updating as I use it more. I am hoping to get some pics today too that I can post.

xxhaimbondxx, bottom line? I highly recommend trying it out at the very least. You won't get that super customization feel of the Navigon, but it's a perfect blend of everything. And I'm sure you will find things that you like about your Navigon better, which I did as well. But overall this thing was much better for my needs and it has everything the Navigon has and them some. Good luck!
  • Alright, I'll get on it once it drops below $200. I am positive it will not take that long and I can wait a little while.
  • Complaints? Oh I have a few,

Mine froze for twenty seconds when I opened the main menu once yesterday

I created a route today from my house to my moms house. When I started moving on the route it was showing me off to the left side of the road about 1.5 inches so it appeared I was traveling next to the route. I restarted the route on the way. There was no option to start the route from where I actually was It would only direct me back to the beginning of the route. This is very troublesome to me as I need this feature to work properly as I use it for work where I make several stops along a route.

I had another incident with the speed indicator popping up with my speed in red but no indication of the actual speed limit. VO stating "speed enforcement area ahead." I was on a secondary road. There wasn't anything resembling a speed enforcement area on the road.

There is no actual time display.
  • Upacreek 0 Points
    Maybe it is too early to tell, but I'm curious how Motorola's traffic reporting compares to that provided by Garmin. If they are both reporting conditions from the traffic networks is there really any difference in the areas covered and how good it is?
  • I just got back from a 250 mile trip. I own a garmin 765 and a Moto 765. The Moto gives you lots more information. At one point it reported a delay ahead. When I tapped on the tab it opened up to display lots of info. It stated that A vehicle had rolled over and the left lane was blocked. It also gave a time of 2pm that the incident would be cleaned up. I passed the spot at 150pm and saw nothing. It also warned me of congestion at one of the interchanges. It also stated 2pm as end of congestion. I went through at 2pm there was no congestion. I have found the Garmin traffic to be basically useless and I'm not sure if Moto is any better but it gives you lots more info
  • WiseGuy, I don't believe you can send routes from Google to any GPS. You can only send waypoints/POIs through Google.
    You can send routes from Mapquest to a Garmin GPS but not a custom route. As soon as it loads the route it recalculates it to the route it would load if you did everything through the GPS.

I'm hoping we can figure out a way to transfer a custom route to the Moto.
  • timothyjok, maybe I'm confused on the definition of a route, lol. I'm not being sarcastic either. What does a route entail?

Because I did a point A to point B "route" on Google Maps and I was able to send it to my Moto.

Is this different than what you are referring to?
  • What actually showed up on your GPS? On mine I only get the point B waypoint
  • I'm at work and don't currently have the Moto with me. When I get home this evening I will check.