This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• mahammel 41 Points
    rather than try to find it:

Someone mentioned sending theirs back. they hoped the one they received had the switch fixed AND

hoped that the satellite fix took a much shorter time. Once it has spent 10 or so minutes searching for sats THE FIRST TIME, it only takes seconds to lock. this is common for most-if not all-systems THE FIRST TIME. if you leave it off and in a garage for over a week or so, then it will need time to re-search. but again, once it's done it the first time, subsequent times only take seconds to lock.

it's a pretty good system. best i've seen compared to what's currently on the market.

just my two Euros worth.

My Camel
  • tdekany 81 Points
    I was looking at washing machines.

That will get you into trouble every time! :wink:
    The old one needed a replacement. Got it from Lowes though.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    always buy a front load. if you get bored you can pull up a chair, grab a drink and watch it go round n' round 'n round n' round 'n round

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Camel, you are easily amused aren't you? :roll: I'll bet you get up really early too just so you can hear the crack of dawn. :lol: :lol:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i'm a sexist.

See it! ? :roll:
  • I got it! Screen is great! Haven't taken it for a test run yet, but here's my first "dilemma":

My software version is 8.5.4.129150 (old, first release, I believe! doh! :shock: )

(i just read the previous post about not being able to get the earlier update...*sniff*! Guess I'll just have to wait till they fix '60'. :(

...but I'm still pretty jacked up about the display on this thing! Awesome! :wink:
  • moondog151 41 Points
    I`m glad your excited about your new toy, most of us are!! The software version your using, is the exact version I`m using on my 2nd 765t. It may be an older version, but it works just perfectly, for me.....
    I`m sure you`ll be even more impressed, when you take it for your initial run,...congratulations to you.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    By the way, I`m feverishly working on trying to get ahold of the proper persons, to at least make them aware, of the problems with the "60" update, I`ve been on the phone calling various Motorola agencies, for the past two days, as time allows me......
  • By the way, I`m feverishly working on trying to get ahold of the proper persons, to at least make them aware, of the problems with the "60" update, I`ve been on the phone calling various Motorola agencies, for the past two days, as time allows me......

Go get 'em "Dawg" ('round these parts, we prenunce it "Dowg" :lol: )

BTW - I thought the bit you wrote about the rep not speaking an easily understood dialect hilarious! :lol:
  • MoggSquad 0 Points
    Today was the first day I heard of topographical maps. Has anyone had any experience with these on the 765? According to product specs they are a feature of this series. Are these legit topographical maps? I'd like to hear feedback if anyone used them.

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/MOTONAV/ci.MOTONAV-TN765t-US-EN.alt
  • mahammel 41 Points
    I know nosingh! i see nosingh! nien!

sorry maybe the spider man knows. he'll know everything!

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Go look on Page 13 of this thread. The Moto has minimal topo features only - it does not have true topographical maps. Just zoom way out to a high altitude and you will see about all it is worldwide.

• Also, I finally realized today that the audio is set in the software to 75%. under setup, I changed to 100% and now can hear it with the radio on, window open, etc. Why a hardware and software volume, weird?
    I've only had this thing for a day, but regarding the Audio software settings, I view this as a ratio between the different outputs. When the phone is on, I want all that it can give (respectively), but when it's speaking directions and giving prompt "dings" I would rather it be lower. Having software settings allows this relationship to occur automatically, regardless of the hardware setting. In short, I don't have to touch it, it adjusts itself! The hardware setting becomes a master volume that I can adjust for vehicle conditions (open window, etc.) but don't have to fiddle with for each GPS application.

I like it!
  • mahammel 41 Points
    well now! that's one heck of an observation. please have that added to the operations manual! great ideas for what we thought originally as: WTF???
    8)

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    Go look on Page 13 of this thread. The Moto has minimal topo features only - it does not have true topographical maps. Just zoom way out to a high altitude and you will see about all it is worldwide.
    see? i tol ja! he's a whiz! that's what 8 legs and pinchers does for you! Not to menntion the red tip to tip triangles on his back

My Camel
  • moondog151 41 Points
    It sounds like your really "getting into it" there, Thunderlizard, good going!! BTW...I recieved reply from MotoDev (Motorola sofware developement) this morning, and was instructed to contact thier HQ`s in Schaumburg, Illonois and I did exactly that. I submitted a lenghty report of the problems that the "60" update has caused. The ball is thier court now, we`ll patiently await any replies from that faciility.
    I`m very glad your initial experiance with the TN765t was an enjoyable one, I`m sure it`ll only get better for as time goes on.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    BTW...I recieved reply from MotoDev (Motorola sofware developement)
    i also contacted them several months ago. they said-in no uncertain terms-they were not interested in endusers comments. they're the dev team that works with developers (that's what they said-honest).

so---------what email address did they give you? or where did they tell YOU to go :roll: \

My Camel
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Oh yes, sir. Thats exactly what they told me also, that they worked with 3rd party developers. I joined the MotoDev Discussion Board, and seen a link to contact the Administrator of that board. I sent him an email yesterday evening, and the reply I had gotten this morning, was to contact the main support site there in Illinois, to is where I sent a detailed description of what was going on. I noted to them (in Illinois) that the gentleman from MotoDev (and I included his name) wanted me to contact them about this problem. The MotoDev Discussion board administrator, also added in his email, to me, that he too, will try and pass that information to the appropriate persons who initially created that "update". During the wait for a possible response from the Illinois facilitly, I`m still searching for additonal people/resources to help resolve this problem, we are all experiancing.......
  • mahammel 41 Points
    great! el dogo de luna!

i tried doing exactly what you seem to have accomplished (you young whipper-snapper). i didn't get this far. they sort of brushed me off. i also tried ad nausium to search for contacts-i targeted VP's and senior managers. i ran out of steam. so keep it up dogo (or perro for those of you in the know).

you might want to consider pasting and copying to this site as well. we're hoping that there are snoopers from the "M" monitoring. (although if someone was, we'd had some of our fixes by now.)

anyway, thanks! keep it up!

My Camel
  • moondog151 41 Points
    well. camel, the "battle" has just begun for me. I`m a retired refinery supervisor for a major refinning corporation, and have had just a little experiance in the past with dealing with other major corporations. Believe me, I pull no more weight, than my next door neighbor does. I`m just persistant in my endevors, and thats why I`m going to keep on trying to get SOMEONE from Motorla to acknowledge this problem. I`ll try and keep you all updated as I find out.......
  • moondog151 41 Points
    My Camel, if you wish, please join the MotoDev Discussion board, and you can visually see both mine, and other 765t owners lost audio problems, there also.
    Once a member, just type in TN765t in top search box, otherwise, that new thread will never be found, FYI........
  • mahammel 41 Points
    thanks dogo. i did back then. just haven't gone back.
  • My Camel, if you wish, please join the MotoDev Discussion board, and you can visually see both mine, and other 765t owners lost audio problems, there also.
    Once a member, just type in TN765t in top search box, otherwise, that new thread will never be found, FYI........

Go git em Dowg! :wink:

We'll be watching!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I just joined the Motorola Owners' Forum at https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/accessories/motonav?view=overview

Too bad this forum is primarily set up as a phone users forum, but owners of navigation units are making a decent splash there. I see moondog is there, and several others are indeed posting the audio loss problem and the message view count is over 1000.

I'll jump in there in a day or two - it's Field Day weekend in the world of amateur radio and duty (not to mention a nice filet mignon grilling on the barbie) is calling.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    They're not very active WRT 765. Joined anyway.

have a great time. eat one for me

QRZ?

73's, 88's and 807's
  • MoggSquad 0 Points
    My device arrived today and have been playing around with it... Really cool.

I have SW version 8.5.4.128150

Maybe I will update to 8.5.4.139160 after my trip, but I need the device to be reliable right now. I will download the q4 2009 maps though

What improvements were made in the SW update from the one I currently have to the most recent?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    (which one are you? the Blond?) :lol:

great news. glad you received it and know you'll appreciate it! it's really better (not perfect) than others on the market. (IMHO.)

can't answer your question because none of us that i know of, have any documentation of what they have done. there doesn't seem to be anything published.

My Camel
  • MoggSquad 0 Points
    I ran errands today so I got to test out the GPS for a bit with the factory map / software.

The voice commands work pretty well overall. I never seen any voice activiated device work perfectly and this one did not either, but it was above average IMO.

I have a Sony Erricson W810i phone, and it connected perfectly along with syncing my contacts. I made a test call to my desk phone at work to get voicemail with no issue. I didn't make any live test calls yet, just toying around.

Like everyone else stated, it re-routes VERY fast. I thought it could give you a little more notice before making your turn, but nothing that would cause me to miss turns.

No speed limit postings on the device in my area, and no name brand icons for any businesses, just your generic ones for food, shopping, gas.

My local PetSmart has been open for 5+ years and the closest one they could find was 20 miles away, but it found all the other stores I was going to (keep in mind this was the factory stock map).

Just like everyone elses' mine does get hot.

So far so good, definitely better than my Magellan 3200, but that is a few years older than this.

I just updated the maps, the real test comes next week in Nevada/Utah.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Congratulations to you on recieving your new unit!! You are absolutely right about the voice recogniton feature being better than other units. I have 3 other voice regonition units, and this one does beat the others hands down, and like you said, none of them are absolutley perfect. Because I live in a rural area, my speed limit signs are not visible either.
    The voice prompt for turns, just takes a lilttle bit getting used to. I`m used to getting a prompt starting at the two mile mark, before any manuveurs are made, I`m just getting used to the "1/2" mile, prompts.
    Once you get back from trip, and download the "60" update, you may not experiance any problems, until you make, or recieve your first phone call thru your unit. THAT, is when the audio trouble seems to appear. Please keep up posted on how thing go for you, have a great trip!
  • moondog151 41 Points
    This evening I introduced a formal request to Mark, the forums manager, on Motorola`s main site, asking for an area to provide us TN765T owners, a link directly to thier PND developers, or associated area, that will address our concerns. Maybe he, can get something going for us on this matter......
  • MoggSquad 0 Points
    ***EDIT*** Nevermind. Resyncing my phone resolved it.

Anyone ever get the following message when trying to use one of the MotoExtras feature?

Unable to connect for motoextras. Please try again later.

This happens after I get the "MotoExtras will make a short call to update information in the background. Would you like to continue?"

My phone is connected via bluetooth and I was able to make a test call earlier today. The device shows my subscription is active until 09-25.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Is this happening with a specific Motoextras feature, or all of them? Also, what part of the country are you located in? I`ll be heading back out onto the road later on, and I`ll also try it and let you know........
  • Well, I've been fiddling around with this unit for several days now and I have a couple of observances:

- The '60' firmware update did exactly what others have described: as soon as I used a phone feature, (like MotoExtras or voice calling), I lost all sound (no clicks or prompts or dings). I reverted to the original firmware that came with the unit ('50') (restored the backup I made immediately prior to "upgrading") and all is fine. I see no functionality difference between the two firmware versions, other than the older one works! :shock: That being said, unless the Motofolks can give me a good reason to update firmware, I'm leaving it as it is. I just wish I could get a hold of "59" (just because it would make my electronically geeked-out self feel better! ;))

- Visually, the display and 3-D perspective are so much better than my Garmin 765T that it actually makes it easier to navigate. This is more on par with my Navigon 8100T. To me, the Garmin 3-D always looked like a zoomed in version of "2-D North Up". This is so much more realistic, with thinner road lines and topography coloration. I also like the way the road names fade in and out of view. Screen refresh rate is about the same as my Garmin 765T which is excellent, but the MotoNav is far brighter! No washout in bright sun! Haven't been in the city yet, but I'm curious to see how it handles the 3-D building effects.

- The "Home" button: at first I was a little dismayed, because I thought you had to touch the screen -> hit "Favorites" -> then hit "Home" to navigate back to the house. (I use this feature quite frequently for the traffic, as well as getting me home quickly when I'm in Timbuktu!). But after some studying, I learned that the little "Home" icon appears just above the "Microphone" icon (replaces the "eye") as soon as you touch the screen! So to navigate to "Home" at any time, just touch the screen and touch the little "Home" icon above the "Microphone" icon. I'm good with that! :wink:

- @!$#%! Demo Mode!!: I was baffled, truly baffled!! I'd be driving happily down the road in GPS Navigation Bliss, when all of the sudden the flippin Demo would come on! ("chicka-bow-wow!")! I thought I kept losing power and drove myself nuts checking the power cord, etc., until I learned I had to go to Menu -> Help -> Demo Mode Off. (DOH! :shock: )....now it works just fine, thank you...

- Google search is awesome! When I couldn't find a POI that none of my former GPS's have found, I hit the Google button, it dialed up, and *poof*! there it was, ready for me to say "Go!"

Think about it - with this feature, the POI and address book are limitless and always current (if the info on the web is)! That in itself is enough to make me keep the MotoExtras service. As mentioned, I need to add the phone number to my "Friends and family" so I don't eat up my minutes.

That's all I have for now. More to come as I continue to put this thing through it's paces... :)
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Just a curiousity question, Thunderlizard? Wouldn`t it be easier just to tap the microphone icon, and say "go home"? That would make your screen taps, just a one time manuveur? Just curious...........
  • Just a curiousity question, Thunderlizard? Wouldn`t it be easier just to tap the microphone icon, and say "go home"? That would make your screen taps, just a one time manuveur? Just curious...........
    Yeah, I'm sure it would be, but I've never been big on voice prompts! (even though the units I've had all have the feature, even my blue tooth earpiece! :shock: ) I like the manual method for some reason. But you're right, it probably would be!
  • moondog151 41 Points
    I don`t blame you at all for wanting the manual method. Lots of time, for me, if there`s a lot of ambient noise, I do the same! I`m very glad that your liking your new unit. As far as the software with the the other software version you mentioned, I see absolutely no difference, as I have run both versions....
  • I've been lurking a bit on the Motorola company forum. Interesting. I wonder when they're going to acknowledge that there's a problem with the firmware? For that matter, I wonder when they're going to post an update/fix history so we will have some idea of why we would want to update in the first place??

BTW - I just did a Google Map search on my PC and sent the address to the Motonav via the Blue Tooth link to my Blackberry. Nice! (I love this feature! What a great, easy way to set up custom favorites, and the folder option is great for organizing too! ).
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    'tis thee, o' spidery one. i just connected to the toolbox fine and it be backing up as it should.

problem be urs i dost believe.

My Camel

Happy to report that I solved my non-connection to Moto Toolbox issues. For some reason my network settings kept reverting to looking for proxy settings to get connected. That problem was manifesting itself in other connections as well. All seems normal with the Toolbox at this point.

I am still seeing that I have two updates available - the pesky Alaska.fbl file and the v8.5.4.139160 OS update - which I will never do again!!! :twisted:

Sent another email off to Moto support this morning regarding v8.5.5.139160 problems. And I will continue to do so until I get a reasonable answer. Others should continue to do the same. As Mama used to say - "it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease". I sent mine to customercare@hellomototech.net. If there are any other appropriate support email addresses please post them. Tnx.

On another related note: I screwed myself when I did a Master Reset (from the internal settings menu) when trying to fix the above problem and naturally lost all my personal settings/POIs/routes, etc. The nasty part is that when I again connected to Toolbox this morning ALL my previous restore points were gone. I looked in the designated backup folder on my HD and only the latest appears. So, a word to the wise.

BTW a Master Reset is different than the "soft reset" which is done by either pushing the reset pinhole or holding the On/Off switch in the Off position for about 10 seconds. You do not lose personal data when that is done.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Great troubleshooting, Spyder, on your non-connection issue to the Moto Toolbox. Also, thanks for letting us all know about the perils of doing the Master reset, vs the "soft" one.
    I`m doing the same, as you are, relentlessly contacting Moto support, and I`ve noticed Thunderlizard also, has been doing the same as you and I.........like you said, if we all take the time to to keep doing this, support may tire of us, and actually do something for all of us.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    Motorola [motorola_global_eng@mailwc.custhelp.com]

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    did you use a bug or a key?
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Thanks, Mikie. Sent a copy of my complaint to that address. It has now been about 18 days since my initial emails and calls to Moto and I have not received any replies. :(
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    did you use a bug or a key?
    PHone with a little PSK 31 digital. I like the PSK 31 mode - kinda of a PhD mode ("push here dummie") :lol:

If that is what you are really asking????
  • mahammel 41 Points
    what's the ham world come to?

... -.-

i'm an ex army security agency morse intercept op and spanish lingie :D
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I might believe the cw intercept op, but not so sure about the espanol. :wink: You should turn on the Spanish voice of Esperanza or Belicia. It might be good practice. :lol:
  • Hey -

Any of you notice extended "Time to Destination" calculations? I punched up my work address this morning, and a 15+ minute ride, at the speed limit, was showing 25-28 minutes? There's only 2 lights, and I hit them both, so I don't think this could be the culprit. The time quickly changed en route so that I arrived a "0" but it sure was off in the beginning!

Also, any way to send me the file or the link to the file for the "59" update? (I realize it's quite large). I'm wondering whether the Time thing might have been fixed. Unfortunately, Moto ToolBox only shows the "60" update. :x

I asked this question in an email to tech support as well, but given the history I've seen regarding response times, I figured you fine folks would be a much more expedient route to take! :)
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Yes Thunderlizard, mine does the very same thing (both of them, the "50" and the "59" version). My trip each day, is 16 miles, one way, and on a state road, with 3 stop lights. The 765t says it`ll take 24 minutes, when in actuallity, it takes 19 minutes, top, depending on the stop lights. Also, you destination time updates regularly, so thats why your noticing the change so much. Also, the "bar" graph, seems to lag (for me, anyways) when matched up with the "trip info" pane being opened. The "trip info" is more accurate, in my opinion. Again, I live in a rural area, and it may be much different in a more populated, congested, environment.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    I recieved an email today, from Motorola HQ`s tech support, and they instructed to me call 1-800-331-6456 and talk to one of thier gps representatives there, to which I did. I talked to "Rosemary" and gave her a detailed account (again) of the problem we are all having with the "60" update, and after being on hold a few minutes, again, she responded that the best thing to do, is to return the unit for a new one. I informed her, that the new unit would probably run into the same problem, again, after a few minutes on hold, she returned and said that the new unit would already have the "60" update loaded into it. She said, it was not possible to go back, to the older versions (the "50" or the "59".
    After much thought, I opted out of returning either unit, main reason being, if the new unit goofs up on its first voice call out, I would have NO way of returning to a prior restore point, because of the fact, that the "60" would already be in the O/S. I can surely live without the "60" update, and will continue doing so. I guess its an individuals personal decision, FYI....
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    But did "Rosemary" ever indicate that they acknowledged the problem exists and have they tested the return units that "will already have v60 installed" for the audio problem?

Also - "She said, it was not possible to go back, to the older versions (the "50" or the "59". Haven't a few users already done that with no problems? The TS I talked to last week also said it was not possible to revert to an earlier version. They seem to be so clueless. :P I wonder why there is a backup provision in Toolbox?
  • moondog151 41 Points
    No sir, she did NOT acknowledge prior knowledge of the problem, she "appeared" to be talking to her supervisor, either on an extension, or possibly in the same office area. She pulled up my "incident case number" and went thru that with whomever she may of speaking too, besides me. I DID ask the question of the audio issue was resolved with a new unit having the "60" update already installed in it, and she could not give me a definitve answer to that question.
    I also told her, that we have restored operaton to our PND`a, by sucessfully restoring to the orignal system that was in it when shipped.
    Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that they seem to still be clueless about this situation, prior to that, I tired a live chat and that got me nowhere at all...I`ll continue to use mine, until I see something of value posted on one of thier sites....