This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• Way to go, Moondog! Keep at it! (I've been rootin' fo ya! :wink: )

I guess the operative question for tech support is whether they actually test the units with the 60 revision, or just load them and ship them. If they tested it, they would know. Also, what does the revision actually do, besides screw up the sound? Is there any advantage (other than knowing one has the latest, if not the greatest?)

Inquiring minds want to know! :?
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I never bought a Magellan gps because of known support issues and Motorola is well on the way to getting the same bad reputation. Their marketing techniques have raised a few eyebrows as well since they hit the market this past Spring as being a bit unconventional. I think I first saw it on the Home Shopping Network. I bought mine at NewEgg for the $200 price and I have noticed that their "catalog" now only shows one Motonav unit for sale - the TN565T for $249. Inventory is dwindling it seems. It is still available on other sites, Amazon, Radio Shack, J&R. in the $275 range.

Has anyone extended their MotoExtras subscription yet? Most of us are getting close to the end of the free trial period. I will hold off until I see some positive responses from Motorola regarding the latest update problem. At this point I can only "fight back" by keeping my wallet closed. Even Microsoft is ending MSN Direct service in 6 months without caring that many customers still have working products that are now obsolete. I just happen to be of the generation that remembers that a refrigerator would last 30 years (or more) and not the 5-7 years nowadays. Bottom line is the almighty Dollar with corporations. Sometimes it can be a good tax advantage to lose money. :roll: Maybe that is Moto's plan? Sorry for my rant. :wink:
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Not me......after I let my trial subscription expire tho, I see that the "fuel prices", "flight status" and "weather" icons have been completely removed from the main menu list. Because of that fact, the total area of the Main Menu area, has shortened a little bit in its total length.
    My trial is still active on my 2nd unit, and am not planning on re-newing THAT subscription, until, I too, recieve some positve postings from Motorola itself. I join your $$ fight, and you have every right to "rant"...loss if revenue will hit them where it hurts the most I am thinking right now..........
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yeah but ranters rant and ......

i don't know where i was goign with that.

rant on!

oh. NJ'ers rant.

hmmm. where was i going with THAT?

never mind

My Camel
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Hahahahaa, thanks for a refreshing bit of humor, Camel.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    In reading some posts "over there" it could be there is some confusion going on with CS reps when the name "Motonav" is mentioned and we call in as PND users and not mobile phone users. Just a guess.

As posted in the MotoExtras site: which I am sure gps users are aware of---

MOTOEXTRAS is the official map update portal for a growing number of personal navigation devices.

MOTOEXTRAS offers updates for the following navigation devices and software:
    MOTONAV Mobile, MOTONAV PND Models
    MOTONAV Mobile models:

* Droid/Milestone
    * Backflip
    * Quench/Cliq XT

MOTONAV PND Models models: please visit MOTONAV PND Models page for further details
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see Motonav software and maps are being sold to mobile phone users. Anyone using Motonav software on any of the above mobile phones?

Also there was a post back in April from a phone user with a problem with his Motonav software. Did not see any answer to his problem but he posted the following

Dear MOTONAV User,

Thank you for your recent MOTONAV mobile application purchase for your Motorola Milestone mobile device. With the changes in the marketplace, Motorola has worked with our partners and are pleased to announce that we’ve lowered the price for the MOTONAV mobile application with Western European maps from $119.99 to $75.99. Your satisfaction is very important to Motorola, so we are happy to pass along the savings to you and refund the difference. (note: my emphasis)

Your refund of $44.00 will be reflected on your next credit card statement.

We hope that you continue enjoying your MOTONAV mobile application. If you have any questions or feedback, please don’t hesitate to contact us at www.motorola.com/support.

We also invite you to visit www.motorola.com/motoextras/mobile to purchase additional content.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    you may have hit the hail on the net. could be their confusion (or ours) WRT MOTONAV vs Motorola.

we need to be sure we clarify that when we talk with Motorola Customer Service.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Found the name of a Moto rep on the Moto Forums and since I saw he was a bit responsive to a user with a TN555 problem I decided to send him the following:

Raul - There are several users of the Motonav PND/GPS units that are experiencing serious problems with a recent update available through the MotoNav Toolbox. Many users are active on GPSReview.net forums and are now porting their frustration/problem here to the Moto forums. Motorola does not seem to be acknowledging the fact that there is a problem with v8.5.5.139160.

You can see the discussion here: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/30450?tstart=0 or at GPSReview.net - http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/18116/x/p1/;start=800

My question to you is - can you and are you willing to supply me with a direct contact to the TN765T support team so we can contact them directly? An email address would be fine and/or a telephone number and NAME of a Moto employee would also be helpful.

Thank you -
  • mahammel 41 Points
    good job o ye of great faith
  • moondog151 41 Points
    EXCELLENT research Spyder!!!!! Great going!!!!!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I have received an email reply from Motonav Support. This is it:

Dear S,

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola. I’ve reviewed your e-mail and I’m ready to help.

I apologize for the inconvenience and regarding your concerns, for us to be able to help you with your concerns. I need you to call our Customer Service Department at 800-331-6456 and ask the agent to transfer you over to our MotoNav Department. Our MotoNav Department is the one handling TN765t and other motorola navigational devices.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at http://www.motorola.com/

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

Cyril Acabal
    --------------------------------------------------

I will be calling the above phone number tomorrow and we shall see how it goes. As they say, "film at Eleven".

I now have an account setup with Moto Support at https://motorola-global-eng.custhelp.com/app/home and I now have a "support history" with 3 different reference numbers. One incidence is listed as "Solved" and that is a result of the reply email shown above. Obviously nothing has been solved, but since Cyril replied with a phone number I guess she gets a gold star in her solved column. :roll:

Another "incident" listed is a result of a post I saw that listed support phone numbers and it asked if the post was helpful. I replied it was not helpful due to lack of a contact number for Motonav PND/GPS units.

On another note - No reply from Raul as yet.

Need to work on getting a "Community" set up in the Motonav forums as I believe either moondog or TLizard have attempted. I did sent a private message to Mark - the Moto Forum Manager asking for a Community/Group area dedicated to PND/GPS units. Kind of demeaning to posts being placed in the Accessories Community! Is that all we are? The area heading states: Please use this forum for Motorola accessories that are used with non-Motorola devices. :?: :?:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    good job o ye of great faith

Faith? Not so sure.

Feeling that I am taking God's place here on earth, ...once in a while... :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Thats great Spyder, that you had gotten a reply from them. I, too, recieved virtually the identical respone, that you had just gotten. However, my was signed by "Dave". The phone number you had gotten, is the Tech Support HQ`s there in Illinois and thats where I left a detailed explaination also, of our problems. Please DO call them again, to get them on the ball, if you would please.
    I also, sent an email to Mark, on the 26th, of this month but have gotten no reply, as of yet. I hope you`ll have better luck....as you previously have mentioned, the "squeaky wheel gets the grease", so maybe they`ll hop to it!! I`m still "reaching out' here on this end too.....
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Here`s a link to "submit a formal idea to Motorola" FYI.....image
  • On a lighter note, I went to downtown Charlotte today and observed numerous 3-D buildings on the Motonav. Pretty nice! A bit more detail than the Garmin 765T. Nice eye-candy.

Also, I noticed when you navigate to a destination, the final destination is marked by a waving checkered flag. First time I've seen that in a GPS. Nice touch!

Just thought I'd share... :wink:
  • KingStyle 0 Points
    Hey guys, Ive been having an issue since the last update that entails losing all sound. If I hard reset it, all is fine, if I turn it off and on (fully) it works again, until it does it again.

Anyone else have this annoying issue? Should I perform a MASTER reset?
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    You only need to read back a page or two in this discussion to find that many are having this problem. No solution as yet from Moto. I would not recommend doing a Master Reset - it is unnecessary. Just do what you have been doing to get audio back. Or rollback to a previous firmware restore point - assuming you did do a backup before updating. :wink:
  • KingStyle 0 Points
    Thanks Spyder I did notice those posts. Is there a way to check what firmware I have? Im rolling back to my backup right now....
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Sure. GoTo Main Menu -> Settings -> System -> Scroll down to "About" , Tap and there it is labeled as Version.
  • KingStyle 0 Points
    Well apparently my backup is with the buggy update.

yay.

GDMIT!!

I have a friend who has this same GPS, could I restore his data?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    according to Victoria, in CS, NO. not only that, we don't know the file structure system so we don't know what files' names are back up files.

there was a guy in TX that was looking at it-and Spyder was going to try to figure out the structure, but that never happened to my recollection.
  • KingStyle 0 Points
    Also, is it possible that I could possibly restore via his backup?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    no beccause the toolbox knows which unit is which, by s/n and there's no way to change s/n in toolbox (that we know of).
  • KingStyle 0 Points
    What if I copy most of his files and replace everything except that TXT file that has the SN in it? Check out the root folder, it really does have a file called SetESN.TXT
  • mahammel 41 Points
    don't take my word.

why not try it? it's your test! :)

i don't think anyone has done it. at least they haven't mentioned it here to my recollection
  • egale 0 Points
    I don't mean to steer the thread away from the 160 update, but my major problem with the 765t is finding addresses.

Try finding the VA Medical Center, 79 Middleville Road, Northport, NY

I couldn't find it in the POI database which I thought was strange as the POI database is huge, the complex is huge, and the POI is in my Garmin and Tomtom but that is besides the point. The biggest problem is that it couldn't find the address. It did give me a couple of alternative address is different towns but they didn't seem right. I had to finally take out my old Tomtom to get me there.

This isn't the first time I have had this problem. Entering addresses takes forever and the options it returns are not in the town you entered.

If anyone can figure this out, I would appreciate it.
  • I don't mean to steer the thread away from the 160 update, but my major problem with the 765t is finding addresses.

Try finding the VA Medical Center, 79 Middleville Road, Northport, NY

I couldn't find it in the POI database which I thought was strange as the POI database is huge, the complex is huge, and the POI is in my Garmin and Tomtom but that is besides the point. The biggest problem is that it couldn't find the address. It did give me a couple of alternative address is different towns but they didn't seem right. I had to finally take out my old Tomtom to get me there.

This isn't the first time I have had this problem. Entering addresses takes forever and the options it returns are not in the town you entered.

If anyone can figure this out, I would appreciate it.
    I'm not sure if this would address your issue, but there has been posts in the past where towns vs townships on Long Island have given trouble to address search engines. I'm from there originally (Center Moriches) and I know that the whole legal "township/jurisdiction/address" thing can give the Navteq and Tele Atlas folks fits! You may want to try entering just the facility name and letting it search by proximity? or perhaps Ft Solonga, etc. vs Northport? Just a thought...
  • mahammel 41 Points
    You may want to try entering just the facility name and letting it search by proximity?
    good thunking. that should resolve it
  • What if I copy most of his files and replace everything except that TXT file that has the SN in it? Check out the root folder, it really does have a file called SetESN.TXT
    Please let us know if this works! If so, I'd love to be able to restore to the "59" version, as I am currently stuck on "50" (the only update being "60" which,as you know, has some serious issues!).

I would just take someones "59" backup, do the s/n mod, and drop it into the default folder for the Toolbox.

Keep us posted!
  • egale 0 Points
    I do know about the Township name thing and have had problems with Magellan until they did a firmware update as well. Unfortunately, in this case, the facility did not come up in the search and I have no idea what the township name is for Northport.

The options it came up with for that facility and also the street did not seem correct and rather than chance going on a wild goose chase, I got out the Tomtom.
  • ^^^^however^^^

...keep in mind that the software may take the s/n from the text file and manipulate it somehow for security purposes (i.e. convert it to hexadecimal and imbed it in another section of the code). Don't be surprised if it doesn't take.

(but I'll be praying for ya! :) )
  • moondog151 41 Points
    I JUST got off the phone, with Edwin, a supervisor of tech support, in Illoinos, and he wasn`t aware of the software problem we have all been having with update 8.5.513960. He told me, that he was going to pass this information on to his superiors, and, hopefully, take notice of this issue. I directed him to this site, so he could review all of the problems posted here regarding this particular update. Also, he recommended to keep an eye on the Motoloa Forums, for any announcement and/or/fix as that will be one of the first places that a "remedy", or further announcements, will be made regarding our problems.......hopefully, this time something will come about, for all of us.........
  • I just learned that you can scroll though any menu by dragging with your finger, like an iphone (though not as smooth). You don't need to hit the up or down arrow. :D Much easier if you're traveling down the road and can't be as accurate when touching the screen.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Oh gosh, JUST got word that our endevours may of paid off!! Motorola IS aware of the "60" update now!! They are saying an update to fix the audio issue (due to the buetooth connection) should be out by mid July. Unfortumately, I have to leave right now, but will copy/paste his reply later on this evening.......
  • mahammel 41 Points
    JUST got word that our endevours may of paid off

did your contact (the supposed supervisor) give you any new email address (his, someone elses, etc.) that we can add to our "distribution" list?

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    The day just keeps getting brighter and better. I got a reply from Mark the Moto Forum Admin and his reply to my question and others about the possibility of setting up a MotoNav PND/GPS Community or Group to get us out from under the somewhat clandestine heading of Accessories.

"Thanks for the feedback. Your suggestion is certainly an option! I am actually trying to get our navigation team on the community to be more closely engaged. I can't promise that the Navigation community will be moved to a main community as it is quite small still. I can consider separating it a little more if it helps you have better cohesiveness.

Standby, I'll see what I can come up with for you.

Mark"
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I do know about the Township name thing and have had problems with Magellan until they did a firmware update as well. Unfortunately, in this case, the facility did not come up in the search and I have no idea what the township name is for Northport.

The options it came up with for that facility and also the street did not seem correct and rather than chance going on a wild goose chase, I got out the Tomtom.

As I'm sure you are already aware that the quality of the POI database is dependent on what level Moto purchased to add to the GPS. In this case this is a prime example of the value-added Google Search feature of the Motonav units giving another alternative, which should give the VA Med Center at the location you were looking for. You don't need no stinkin' Tom Tom! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    need no stinkin' Tom Tom!
    Right On oh Arac no phob!
  • moondog151 41 Points
    In response to your question, Camel. No, I did not pursue any further names from "Edwin", I was going to give him a day or two to see just what exactly he may of accomplished. However, this is the info I recieved earlier, and as Spyder has said, they are finally aware of us tn765t owners "over there"!!
  • egale 0 Points

As I'm sure you are already aware that the quality of the POI database is dependent on what level Moto purchased to add to the GPS. In this case this is a prime example of the value-added Google Search feature of the Motonav units giving another alternative, which should give the VA Med Center at the location you were looking for. You don't need no stinkin' Tom Tom! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

But as I originally wrote, I had the address as well and the 765T couldn't find the address either. Google or no, this gps failed me. The Tomtom database had the hospital in it AND it was able to find the address as well.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    thanks! well them people sure shudn' a released somethign that woudl break something else, now shuda them? :evil:

Hope to track here but am headed out for a long needed rest and recuperation (or what's commonly called a dip in a lake with a lot of booze).

we'll be sneakin' around so you guys (and gals) behave. y'all hea?

My Camel, soon to be wetting his hump(s).
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited July 2010

But as I originally wrote, I had the address as well and the 765T couldn't find the address either. Google or no, this gps failed me. The Tomtom database had the hospital in it AND it was able to find the address as well.
    A search for 79 Middleville Rd in ZIP 11768 on my 765T brings up the correct location for the VA Hospt. (at the "front door" at least from what I see after doing a Google Map search on the web). It is listed as Huntington, NY, so as stated earlier it most likely is a Township/borough or political entity that is confusing the map purveyors. IMHO the Motonav did not really fail its task. When you find the perfect gps be sure to let us know because we are all searching for it as well. :) :)
  • mahammel 41 Points
    When you find the perfect gps be sure to let us know because we are all searching for it as well.
    yeah. that's what i said.
  • You don't need no stinkin' Tom Tom! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Byaahh haaa! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, jou dun neet no steenkin' Tom-Tom! :lol:

Hey, bottom line is I'm sure there will be instances or comparison points where another GPS may have its moment of glory, but overall, this is a great GPS. Not perfect, but better than any that I've come across in my geek-o-centric searches! So, yeah, it may stub its toe on occasion, but for me, the overall user experience has been awesome!

BTW - did anyone note that when you get a prompt to turn, the left is Dong-ding, and the right is Ding-dong? A smart little audio clue, methinks. (I feel like a ding-dong...which according to Moto, means I'm right! Ha! ) :wink:
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Good point, Thunderlizard. I haven`t had a PND yet, that didn`t occasionally have a "hiccup". Actually, I hadn`t noticed the difference in the turn prompt, tones, thanks for pointing that out. Also, THIS is FIRST unit that I`ve had, that has ALWAYS voice prompted "turn left" or "turn right", that acually coincides everytime, with the directional arrow on the screen. Sometimes (on my other units), the arrow may point to the "left", being the correct direction to go, and voice will say.."turn right", or vice versa....
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    When you find the perfect gps be sure to let us know because we are all searching for it as well. :) :)
    I found the perfect gps 16 years ago yesterday. Still works too! My wife, who doesn't hesitate for a second to let me know I'm going the long way around. Quick to recalculate too, tho I wish I could change the announcement voice sometimes. The speed alerts are a bonus.

:mrgreen:
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Hahahahaa, EXCELLENT post, gatorguy!!!!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    When you find the perfect gps be sure to let us know because we are all searching for it as well. :) :)

I found the perfect gps 16 years ago yesterday. Still works too! My wife, who doesn't hesitate for a second to let me know I'm going the long way around. Quick to recalculate too, tho I wish I could change the announcement voice sometimes. The speed alerts are a bonus.

:mrgreen:
    Gator - have you had to update the firmware, or is Botox or silicone out of the question?? :wink: :roll: :lol:
  • Spyder63 331 Points

BTW - did anyone note that when you get a prompt to turn, the left is Dong-ding, and the right is Ding-dong? A smart little audio clue, methinks. (I feel like a ding-dong...which according to Moto, means I'm right! Ha! ) :wink:
    What an interesting feature. Unfortunately I keep the dings and dongs turned off so never noticed it, but it shows the Moto Development Team has some neato tricks up their collective sleeves.

Maybe Tim could make this your avatar someday...image
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    The application hasn't been updated at all other than cosmetically. But the "hidden functions" have seen a lot of improvement, making any program flaws very acceptable. :twisted: