This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• mahammel 41 Points
    thanks for thinking of me. i'm sober now. got back about an hour ago. am just now reading anad catching up. i'm so old i read it all and have forgotten it already.

i'll re-read in the AM.

g'night fellos and fellas!

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I think this is what mahammel was doing all weekend. :roll: GPS art? Is there a Moto in there somewhere?

Take a look at the video here: http://technabob.com/blog/2010/07/04/crossroads-gps-art-installation/
  • @WizeGuy - Good to see you back in here. In my eyes you're like the "Godfather" of Motonav! :lol:
    Above in this thread and in another one I mentioned the 723MB nav fix and it showed up toward the end of May and it installed OK for me. Just be patient with the download/install process. Let us know if after doing it you start to get the Alaska.fbl "nav fix" update pestering you.

Haha thanks Spyder! Ok man, I am going to try this nav fix today and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Hahahaah, Absolutely great pic/video Spyder!! That was EXCELLENT!!!!
  • I think this is what mahammel was doing all weekend. :roll: GPS art? Is there a Moto in there somewhere?

Take a look at the video here: http://technabob.com/blog/2010/07/04/crossroads-gps-art-installation/
    Pretty funny! I didn't see a MotoNav, but I did see Garmins, Magellans, Tom Toms, and even Navigons! Quite a smattering of nav devices - at least $2K-3$ worth! :shock:

• Samantha is the only TTS voice they gave us. If you want to try the other non-TTS voices goto System -> Language -> Voice Language and you can select the others.

For the life of me, I couldn't find that...until now. Gonna try the Amy chick and see how she sounds. (hopefully, no gin-cigarette voice! ;) )
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i can't live without them telling me where to go. like it or not samantha is the only answer.

My Camel
  • mickjcat 0 Points

Samantha is the only TTS voice they gave us. If you want to try the other non-TTS voices goto System -> Language -> Voice Language and you can select the others.

For the life of me, I couldn't find that...until now. Gonna try the Amy chick and see how she sounds. (hopefully, no gin-cigarette voice! ;) )
    Amy is kinda bitchy too :P
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Anyone with a TN555: Does Google Search work? If so, how? Do you need to eliminate any serial number digits? What are the first 4 digits of your S/N? Thanks.
  • I tried Amy, and all the rest of the non-TTS voices this morning. Terrible. Poor distance cues ("...you will be turning in over 1 mile"), choppy voice (nothing like the intro when you select it from the Language menu), and overall just cheap sounding.

I guess it's back to the gin-lady. Suckage.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Well, once again we are at Moto's mercy as they have promised new voices down the road. I just wonder how long the winding, dirty road will be? :roll:

I poked around the voices files and while they seem to be from Loquendo the structure appears to be very different from Navigon. I was able to add more voices to my Navigon 7200t, but Moto's scheme doesn't allow me to use the Navigon voices. I may explore IgO voices, but most references, again, seem to be only toward the mobile phones arena.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    that's all turkish to me. what are you saying in plain english (spanish will do too)? :lol:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Puesto que usted no entiende turco qué le hace pensar español se hace más fácil? :wink: :wink: El MOTONAV funciona con el software Nav N Go iGO, y hay otras voces TTS por ahí.
  • mickjcat 0 Points
    Puesto que usted no entiende turco qué le hace pensar español se hace más fácil? :wink: :wink: El MOTONAV funciona con el software Nav N Go iGO, y hay otras voces TTS por ahí.
    Too funny!

ALso, I got what you meant by non TTS voices, turn right, turn left just doesn't get it. I am back to Samatha, the Gin Lady as ThunderLizard refers to her by. 8)
  • Hey Spyder...

Saw your post on the Motorola forum...

Patience, Web-Slinger! It'll be here, soon... :D
  • ... Samatha, the Gin Lady as ThunderLizard refers to her by. 8)
    Bet she goes by "Sam"! :wink: (*drawwwwww*...*pufff*...slurp... "now turn left at the next bar... you have arrived at your destination!")
  • mickjcat 0 Points
    edited July 2010
    Bet she goes by "Sam"! (*drawwwwww*...*pufff*...slurp... "now turn left at the next bar... you have arrived at your destination!")

No doubt in my mind, and here after she will be known as Sam. :lol:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.”
  • mickjcat 0 Points
    “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.”
    And has the nerve to tell us where to go..... :?
  • Just as an update guys, I was able to install the nav fix update and not the "60" update. So I am good for now!
  • Just for fun, here's an example of the 'Nav's Junction View vs. real life! (look in background). Sorry for the poor pic quality - it was tough to take while driving :shock: and it was the best my ole Blackberry could do! :wink:

• Bet she goes by "Sam"! (*drawwwwww*...*pufff*...slurp... "now turn left at the next bar... you have arrived at your destination!")

Wonder if she looks like this...

or maybe this...

Ha! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • mickjcat 0 Points
    Bet she goes by "Sam"! (*drawwwwww*...*pufff*...slurp... "now turn left at the next bar... you have arrived at your destination!")

or maybe this...

Don't be hating on Hil.... :cry:
  • mickjcat 0 Points
    Just for fun, here's an example of the 'Nav's Junction View vs. real life! (look in background). Sorry for the poor pic quality - it was tough to take while driving :shock: and it was the best my ole Blackberry could do! :wink:

I went downtown Indy last night and I got to see some junction views and renderings of the buildings, pretty nice. :wink:
  • mickjcat 0 Points
    Just as an update guys, I was able to install the nav fix update and not the "60" update. So I am good for now!
    Hmm, I went to my toolbox, still wants to load 60.
  • Bet she goes by "Sam"! (*drawwwwww*...*pufff*...slurp... "now turn left at the next bar... you have arrived at your destination!")

or maybe this...

I don't like her, but I've gotta say, she got a pretty raw deal on the whole VP thing with Biden.

Ok, so how's this?...

Better? :D
  • mickjcat 0 Points

or maybe this...

I don't like her, but I've gotta say, she got a pretty raw deal on the whole VP thing with Biden.

Ok, so how's this?...

Better? :D
    Love me some Granny Clampett :wink:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    Puesto que usted no entiende turco qué le hace pensar español se hace más fácil? El MOTONAV funciona con el software Nav N Go iGO, y hay otras voces TTS por ahí.
    y tu? hablas Turco? lo siento!

no updates as of today. my subscrip runs out in 7 days. don't think i use it enough to just ify. my wife's has it all for a year so if i need to i'll use it.

i had a question in to C/S 2 months ago as to how to move the services from my wife's 765 to mine but to no avail. No contestaron. estan incognito!

oh and BTW Viva Espana

Mi Camello (not to be confused with my narc)

or maybe this...

Hillary's not a MotoNav fan...

Hillary loves Navigon! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • andre2p 0 Points
    Oh how I hate politics. I much rather see this topic stick to the Motorola units only. AC. :roll:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    well stated. I degree!

My Camel
  • ...just a little humor folks. Seemed to fit with the voice quality discussion (as did Granny Clampet). Sorry if it rubbed anyone the wrong way. Just trying to be a little light-hearted, that's all. My bad. :(
  • unkmoto 0 Points
    Has anyone purchased a vent mount for the 765 yet? I'm about to get the Gomadic one at Amazon but it sure looks bulky, and from the pics it's hard to tell if it will fit with the 765 connector mount and cable, easily or neatly. Thanks!
    (I wouldn't ordinarily need one but the 765's smaller screen is pushing me towards something a bit closer than the top of the dash)
  • mahammel 41 Points
    SMALLER HE SAYS?????????????? :roll: :?:
  • unkmoto 0 Points
    edited July 2010
    Heightwise darn tootin', screen is about 1/4 inch shorter than the old 4.3" Garmin, throw in the green bar at the top and the result is everything is skwunched down quite a bit to fit in the smaller available vertical map space.

But a nice wide field of view on each side for sure. Fine for popouts. :lol:

Now the Magellan 1700, -that's- a wide screen!!! Thought about that more than once.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Has anyone purchased a vent mount for the 765 yet? I'm about to get the Gomadic one at Amazon but it sure looks bulky, and from the pics it's hard to tell if it will fit with the 765 connector mount and cable, easily or neatly. Thanks!
    (I wouldn't ordinarily need one but the 765's smaller screen is pushing me towards something a bit closer than the top of the dash)

Have you considered buying one for a Garmin nuvi gps? One with the small ball mount and then you are assured of the Moto cradle working with it. Moto will fit the Garmin ball. Lot cheaper too. Only $5.50 compared to $24.95.

I have a very similar vent mount - looks like the same attachment to the vent louvers - which I used with a Garmin nuvi 680 and found that it vibrated more than I wanted. I don't want any vibration. Also attaching and removing the clips with the springs can be tricky. If a spring pops off wrong and goes down the vent you are pretty much SOL.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i've tried one with another GPS and i broke the vent fins. got rid of the car because it had broken vent fins. (not true. just joshin'). but i did break em and am not at all confident that they work well.

why not just hire another wife to guide you through the highways and biways of life? someone did a comparison for McCartney. would have cost him a lot less to just have a hooker when he wanted it.

Men have it made. 8)
  • JeffMorse 0 Points
    I've had the 765 for a while now and am very happy with it overall, however, I've got a bad case of gadgetitis and am greatly tempted with the nuvi 3790T. Has anyone found a review that puts them head to head?
  • unkmoto 0 Points
    No comparos yet, though many reviews now. The reason I bought the Moto is because I had a couple of Garmins previously and the new one, though svelte and spiffy looking, has essentially the same map, same voices, same old same old. Not enough 'newness' to satisfy my gadgetitus.
  • unkmoto, you hit it on the nose. Garmin's have been the same for a very long time now it seems. Same cartoonish graphics and interface, it has become boring.

Garmin's remind me of the iPhone. They do the job and do it well enough, but their interface and graphics are stale now. Better things have come.

I would go with the Moto, even if the support is pretty weak. The device is great as is for me.
  • Well, call me Guinea Pig, but I had to try. I plugged up my MotoNav and did the update...and...AND...I got the same result as last time...no sound after you make or receive a call! DOH! :shock:
    Guess they didn't push the update like Mark thought... :cry:

Now it's on to the "Restore" function! Shame, because I noticed the keypad and touchscreen worked better than my "50" load - more responsive. And the routing seemed better too (though that may just be my imagination).
  • unkmoto 0 Points
    Got a response from Moto over in the official forums, they had put out the patch last week but for some reason it's not showing up for download/updating. They're checking on it today (Monday).
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Ok guys, the Bluetooth fix just appeared in my toolbox!!!! I did a back up first, and just installed it (12mb). I immediately paired my cell phone with it, after rebooting the PND, and made an initial call, and all seems well, to ths point. The audio remains on, and at the desired set level.......we`ll continue to monitor the unit to see if anything else happens to show up........
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @moondog - What software version is showing? Same as before or different?
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Spyder..I didn`t notice a version number for that bluetooth update, af first, I got a message "there is new software available for your unit, do you want to install it now?", I checked, NO, then went to "my updates" page, and seen the newly released update. The date was N/A, however, when clicking on the "contents" it gave the update as described...BT/OS update.......I did take a couple of pics, but I`ll have to download them and get them posted.......
  • moondog151 41 Points
    This newest Bluetooth update, will be labeled as "upgrade", so when you see that, you know you have the right "fix" installed, also, its 12mb in file size.......

• JeffMorse 0 Points
    So I took the plunge and picked up one of the new nuvis. It's pretty.. Really pretty.

That being said, the motonav stomped it's face into the mud when it comes down to routing speeds, poi location and rerouting. The nuvi was roughly 3x slower when figuring a cross country route.

The nuvi did tend to create routes that were shorter and faster. From LA to NY it was something like 6 hours shorter, but now that I think of it I forgot to make sure the avoidance settings were identical.

The nuvi went back the next morning. So far the Motonav 765 is still the champ.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Just curious - which model Garmin did you return?
  • I have noticed that the MotoNav really overestimates my travel times (and I don't speed...much! Not enough to account for this difference...) so regarding the Nuvi creating a faster cross-country time, it may be that the time estimate was shorter, but the route may have been equivalent or even quicker with the MotoNav. :wink:
  • JeffMorse 0 Points
    Spyder, it was the nuvi 3790.