This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• Spyder63 331 Points
    Well, I must say that surprises me a bit. That you chose the Moto over the Garmin 3790, which is the new "flagship". I have started watching the chatter about it, but the price is holding me back at the moment. Although it is cheap in comparison to the $1000 I have spent on a single Garmin back in the old days.

I do like the Moto and other than some software glitches it runs quite like my nuvi 680. At this point I feel I can trust it (as much as you can trust any gps) to keep me happy and get me to Point B. I run the Moto alongside either a Navigon 7200 or the nuvi just to constantly compare. If I feel one is being obnoxious I go where the other tells me to go.
  • alanb 539 Points
    When Spyder relegates a GPS to his lawn mower, you know he is on to something new :lol:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    You knew I already did that, right? :lol: With my old Garmin GPS II - mounted on the John Deere.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Yeah ... saw the picture. Don't you think it's time to upgrade the Johnny to a newer GPS? :P
  • JeffMorse 0 Points
    I was surprised too. I figured the garmin would cream the motonav but that wasn't the case at all.

Visually I really liked the garmin better, and love the garmin software but the Motonav does the job more efficiently, and I couldn't justify another 450 bucks when it didn't work as well.
  • BruPri 0 Points
    The ads are fairly unobtrusive but show up when you are stopped, disappear when you move again.

Side note, the update works well on my Motonav, just picked up a Garmin 3790T and can't decide which one gets to go along for the ride! Both are GREAT units, of course the Nuvi is 1/3 more the price...
  • JeffMorse 0 Points
    BruPri, I had the same problem. Try routing them across country at the same time and see which finishes working out the route first. Curious if you get the same result I did.

Also found the motonav found poi's more quickly.

The nuvi is really sharp though...
  • mahammel 41 Points
    excuse the analogy to women but GPS' are like women (to men I mean).

you turn them on, they light up and tell you where to go. (think about it).

My Camel (maybe my last post if i'm flamed--just couldn't resist)
  • moondog151 41 Points
    You are SO right Camel!!!! Was wondering where you`ve been lately......
  • mahammel 41 Points
    I've been sloshing around in the background-busy (and that's good).

Just D/L the updates. I just checked Monday to no avail then lo and behold it shows up the next day. Let's hope it has some of the discussed "fixes". my bet it however it's just the BT fixes.

Can't believe anyone is talking about the Garmin. WE ALL KNOW the Moto beats all other current units. It's the novelty factor and the gotta put the old one on a John Deere factor. that's all.
  • I had to see what all the buzz was about, so I checked out the 3790T. It's got some strong points, but when you boil it all down (for me) it looks like a sleeker, crisper version of my Nuvi 765T. Same screen, same views, just a better screen resolution. Personally, I'm happy with my Motonav, and certainly wouldn't pay the extra $$ for the same cartoony look and not many more features.

Again, not meaning to offend...just my opinion! :wink:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    none taken :D
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I've been sloshing around in the background-busy (and that's good).

Can't believe anyone is talking about the Garmin. WE ALL KNOW the Moto beats all other current units. It's the novelty factor and the gotta put the old one on a John Deere factor. that's all.
    Camel, (or watz' you talkin' 'bout Willis?). Are you making fun of my old Garmin or my new John Deere??? Or did you forget to spike your Dr. Pepper? :wink: The Garmin still works good, but the green machine got hauled off to the shop today. After I got a new transmission in June I kept tellin' them I smelled rubber burning. "He stopped lovin' her today" as No Show Jones would say.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    sorry to heard it, Arach. i know how it is to lose your green one. hopefully they'll have her back soon so you can ride in style.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @Thunderlizard - aka DingDong - Since you discovered the left vs right tones, did you ever notice if there was a special or different tone for U-turns?
  • BruPri 0 Points
    One thing we noticed right off the bat with the 3790t, voice commands work near perfectly. My wife and I were cracking up when we started out on a trip with the TN765 and it kept asking me if I meant something else; "Market Street", "Did you mean FREEWAY?" with each question came and even funnier response :shock: Oh well, the Motonav has enough "coolness" in the bank to overlook some of the more entertaining aspects of the device. One nice thing on the 3790T, is the ability to turn the voice commands on with a key phrase of your choosing instead of having to press a mic icon. The Motonav also runs quite a bit warmer to the touch.
    More to come.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yeah. WRT temperature, we've seen that. the good news is it runs at VERY high temps. probably some mil spec parts (i would hope, anyway). it would be interesting to "study" whether or not it loses accuracy with higher temps. hmmmmm.
    Arach---you're the techie.

the only weaknesses i have seen is teh voice recognition and not listing the street you're on.

the voice recog. is crappy at best. you're correct! funny and useless. several others have said theirs works well. i suppose it is acoustical issues. i think i tried speaking commands in a quiet car and it worked fine. i also think i tried speaking in a noisy car but leaned forward directly in to the device. it worked i think (note: my CRS is extraordinary any more).

but other than those two weaknesses, it's strengths are great. and i think each one will have its' own weakness and strength.

i loved my Lowrance but it had its faults too. i have tested numerous others (probably 5 or more??) and they all had their negative issues. it's a personal preference thing and an experience thing as well.

i'm sticking with my 765 though. i think it's great and some of its features far surpass the competition-even today.

IMHO of course.

My Camel

nightie poo y'all
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I agree the Moto VR is pretty useless. Ask for Ice Cream and you get Australian Cuisine. Close, but no cigar!

As for unit running hot. Initially I felt it did run hot, but I am beginning to feel that when sitting on the dash in the hot sun the black case just really absorbs the heat of the sun. I run mine in the house on a 12v converter for hours at a time and it never gets hot. But a possibility exists that a vehicle 12v power outlet is putting out more than 12v, say in the range of 14v and the Moto components are actually being stressed with heat as the result. I have not really run mine at night in the car so no experience in that situation.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    naw. it just runs hot. i think it's designed to draw as much current as it can (huh?). it's probably drawing 20 amps. shoot. i dunno. i just know it runs hot in the car day and night. i agree it's not hot running from the ac adapter i use (1 amp)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    moondoggie says he saw some specs somewhere claiming it only draws 440mA under normal use. Not sure how Moto defines "normal use". In one instance I know they define "lifetime" as 2 years!
  • @Thunderlizard - aka DingDong - Since you discovered the left vs right tones, did you ever notice if there was a special or different tone for U-turns?
    Ha!

I haven't paid much attention to the u-turn prompt. There are a lot of interesting dings and doings though. Right up my alley! :wink:
  • moondoggie says he saw some specs somewhere claiming it only draws 440mA under normal use. Not sure how Moto defines "normal use". In one instance I know they define "lifetime" as 2 years!
    Try this link:

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2186&c=motorola_motonav_tn760t__tn765t

Should take you right to it! ((thanks Dowg!).
  • mahammel 41 Points
    Thanks Rino Skin! that's a great site. 440 mils there's our answer. what it doesn't 'splain is why it gets so hot on direct battery (maybe arachno is right??) 14 plus volts?

y'all should check out the link

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/GB-EN/Consumer-Products-and-Services/MOTONAV/MOTONAV-TN765t-GB-EN

the brit site has more info than ours. it's much better and well done (comparatively speaking).

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    In looking at those specs it is stated as 440 mA average. So at times it will draw more and obviously at times less.

That site also indicates the Motonav has an external gps antenna connector and it does not - although I would guess the potential is there. Notice the small "hole" equal is size to the Reset "hole" directly opposite on the other side of the contact pins?

I've got a couple Gilsson GPS external antennas and I have not found the need to use them for years. They came in handy when flying on commercial aircraft as it could rest against the window and most ofter get a decent signal.
  • andre2p 0 Points
    edited July 2010
    Hello again:

I liked my 765 so much I decided to buy one for the wife. Unfortunately, she used it once for a 2 hour trip to Chicago and put it back in the box. Everything I liked she disliked. She prefers the simple icons of the old Nuvi better. What can I say ...

Anyway, I will sell her 765 but keep mine. If anybody wants it, it is in the box with absolutely everything it came with, in perfect shape. Will sell it for $195 shipped if anybody here wants it; including a carrying case I bought for it.

Andrew :oops:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    In looking at those specs it is stated as 440 mA average. So at times it will draw more and obviously at times less.

That site also indicates the Motonav has an external gps antenna connector and it does not - although I would guess the potential is there. Notice the small "hole" equal is size to the Reset "hole" directly opposite on the other side of the contact pins?

I've got a couple Gilsson GPS external antennas and I have not found the need to use them for years. They came in handy when flying on commercial aircraft as it could rest against the window and most ofter get a decent signal.
    Gosh. don't know wha happan' to my response of a couple of days ago. maybe i forgetted to hit "send" :oops:

maybe it varies from 439 to 441 ma? :?

i have a couple as well. what if we combined all of them? would we have survey level accuracy (+/- 1 mm?) :shock:

enjoy ur hot Sunday! 8)
  • mahammel 41 Points
    the latest fix apparently also fixed the inability to remove/delete an emty favorites folder. it now works. yeeha.

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited July 2010
    Have not had an occasion to attempt that so good you discovered it. Does make life just a scad easier. I will go give it a try. ------ Just did and it certainly does work! Good Find Camel. or was it Blind hogs and acorns? :lol: :lol:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited July 2010
    Here's another one - maybe.....can't remember.

Once you set your Home location you can now change it. Prior to update I don't think you could do anything about it. Not even delete it and start over. Now there is a Change Location button after you scroll down on the "GO" page.

* It behaves like setting home for the first time - Current location? or Enter Location. Enter Location takes you to the new destination screen with keyboard where you can type in any address. Now this is good. You can now set your hotel while on vacation as "Home" and quickly get directions back or set location as your car in the parking lot using current location and use pedestrian mode to get back. Lots of good possibilites with this one and I for one am pleased.

It is just too bad the PND Dev team does not inform us of these changes so we don't have to stumble across them.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    that's an even better find!

good shew OM (read: old man)

and yes i was intentionally checking it. so there. haurmmph
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i haven't really tried until tonight.

i find the following tedious at best!!! anyone have an easier way?

I want to sent a current location while driving, as a favorite.

to do it you must (something like this):

press and hold your current auto icon location for 2 seconds or until it switches to the next screen.

press "I" for information

scroll down below the location information to "add as favorite"

scroll down to edit

select/scroll to the folder where you wish to save it

press the folder name

scroll WAY down (if you have a lot of favorites) to add

press add

scroll to select the location

press add

(or some semblence of that.)

???anyone??? :?: :?: :?:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    How about......

1. Slide in left panel to Dashboard. It will show current location

2. Scroll down to Make Favorite

3. Bring up Main Menu (or if you're smart like me :wink: :wink: Favorites is already one of your custom moved buttons and shows up on the Enter Destination page), but if you're not.............

4. Get to Favorites

5. Get to the desired personal folder

6. Tap the folder to get the Add button

7. Tap add to get to the Picker and pick away.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    well that's all fine and dandy but (and i do not know why) the make favorite in dashboard is grey'd out.

still and all, i think no matter which you use or must use, it's far too many steps to make a spot a favorite. what if you're driving at 60 cautious miles per hour and the location whizzes by (no wisecracks about whizzing). how do it do it? huh? rhyme me that oh arach de 63.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    and you know what? i don't like the design of the new bra's that the clothing industry is producing now. so there.
  • How about......

3....(or if you're smart like me :wink: :wink: Favorites is already one of your custom moved buttons and shows up on the Enter Destination page), but if you're not.............

But, of course! And made the extra "customizable" button my Favorites as well! :wink:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    now THAT'S a great idea!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    well that's all fine and dandy but (and i do not know why) the make favorite in dashboard is grey'd out.

still and all, i think no matter which you use or must use, it's far too many steps to make a spot a favorite. what if you're driving at 60 cautious miles per hour and the location whizzes by (no wisecracks about whizzing). how do it do it? huh? rhyme me that oh arach de 63.
    If you're whizzing on the highway
    And you need to mark your spot
    Just pull over to the side of the road, Bunky
    Tap your buttons and now you're hot!

Burma Shave!

:P
  • dhn 335 Points
    So Bimbo and Bozo are out fishing in a rental boat and come upon a real hot spot for fish.

Bimbo says, "How are we going to remember this location in the future?"

Bozo says, "No problem! I've marked the location on the side of the boat with a big 'X'"

Bimbo responds, "You idiot! That won't work. How do you know we will get the same boat next time??!! "

:wink:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    So Bimbo and Bozo are out fishing in a rental boat and come upon a real hot spot for fish.
    i don't get it. makes sense to me if you don't have a 765

My Camel
    via lake incognito, Sparta GA
  • mahammel 41 Points
    has anyone figured out the file system? i would like to move my favorites from one 765 to another.

My unsure Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Just a quick guess - would Toolbox help you out? I will explore it later myself, but the moving content feature comes to mind and may show the Favorites file. :?: :?: :?:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    not that i can tell. although it doesn't indicate to the user, it knows the serial number. I think if i save the files for s/n 1, then plug in s/n 2 and save them, when i go back to s/n 1 and try to transfer files from s/n 2 to s/n 1 it will not give me access. maybe i can make subdirectories that are relative to each one so one doesn't overwrite the other. my wife has one of them now and is gone. i'll try it.

but i'm afraid of overwriting and blowing it. if i screw up one and/or the other, then i'm in real doo-doo. i don't know how to avoid that.

will advise. thanks.

• mahammel 41 Points
    well, made a world class attempt but to no avail.

cannot back up either one now

doesn't like seperate sub directories and once one is changed, the other is blown away.

can't 'splain it says not enough disk space.

will have to call the idiots on monday.

say la veee
    or
    sest la veyea
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Bummer! Sorry to hear that. You say you can't backup either, but can you do a Restore? or is that what you really meant. Is a Master Reset an option for at least one?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    naw. meant back up. when i re-did the sub dirs it changed location and those locations won't restore old dirs. will take Moto people to tell me how and i'd bet a dollar to a donut (don't you just love this language) that they won't know how.

i'm afraid i'll loose my wifes business favorites so i don't want to muck with them. i too have some but i don't mind redoing them if i have to.

anyway. that's why i should not have listened to you. its all your fault :? :?

just like a ham to try something like this :roll: :roll:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    one udder thing.

seems that now i cannot charge in the cradle AND use USB at the same time. disconnects if from USB when i plug in the power supply in the cradle. (I know, that was redundant).
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited August 2010

anyway. that's why i should not have listened to you. its all your fault :? :?

just like a ham to try something like this :roll: :roll:

Sorry, OM, and just when did I say "Hey, Mikie, you try it!" ???? Not this time!

C'mon, you already know Obed's answer is going to be.... Send eeeet back!

As for using USB and cradle at the same time - this time I don't think it is a result of your current dilemma. I noticed that mine behaves the same way now - I think it happened during the last update.

And right now mine is telling me my battery is critically low and it is plugged in to the 12v and battery icon shows I am on 12v. I did let the battery charge get quite low and when that happens screwy things seem to happen to the charge process. This has been on the "charger" for a couple hours, but it has been turned ON. I will now keep the gps off for at least an hour and see what happens. If it does not work normally I am going to do a soft reset and see how that goes.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yeah. well, that's your cop out :) :P

seriously folks, i saw the charge issue before i tried to make changes. it IS interesting. when i talk with them (if they'll answesr questions,) i'll ask about thta.

and if they've messed up (read: f....d up) the charging system, i will be pissed.

and bTW, i put one on charge only with the AC/DC charger and it got hot. so there! to the guy that thought it had to do with current. Naw. upa youa's.

in conclusion: it is a damn good GPS and superior to almost-if not-all those out there right now-forgiving the problems!

i like it! Mikey likes it!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Mine did get a full charge within a hour or so while I had it in standby mode so all is OK once again. Like I said, when the battery gets depleted getting a new charge into it gets a little screwy. One just needs to remember to keep it off for a period of time or the mA probably cannot keep up.

I'm going QRT.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    good to knwo and thanks arachie.

i just de qrt'd