This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• mahammel 41 Points
    wow. i din't mean to get in the last word forever!
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Thread Killer!!! :lol: :lol: :P :roll:
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Rut, Roh................I am standing here beside myself wondering if I have met the enemy and it is me! :P :roll: ....or is it "I"?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

My Camel
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Obviously you have reached your destination..... :lol:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i'm ready to pull up my blanket of green grass, pull it over me, and watch the accuracy of the 765 increase the longer it stays in one place.

i guess then, in conclusion, i don't need it any longer, as i know know where i am!

i must be at the end of this journey.

should not have taken that sleeping pill while driving.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

post script.

any changes or improvements in the 765 over the past so many weeks?
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Yeah, but don't forget you will lose signal once you are under the green, green, grass of home.....better buy an external antenna and don't forget to tie a little bell on the end in case you decide you want out!

No, nothing new that I know of. I haven't run the Toolbox for over a week. Dead over on the Moto forum as well. Been looking at getting MioPocket skin to work on the Moto but no luck. Got it working on my Navigon 7200 though.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    good idea. i can tinkle the bell when i have to tinkle too.

got to go looking for a Composite out > VGA Monitor for OTA Digital Sig Converter. Maybe i'll find a skin somewhere that will fit. good idea.

you're just full of good ideas this morning. must be having successfull day (o9ooH)
  • Any new updates on the TN765T? How do the current owners like them so far after owning them for a few months now? With the Nuvi 1695 set to release, it'll be interesting to see how the TN765T compares to the Nuvi 1695 and also the TomTom GO 1000 Live.
  • Well, there isn't a whole lot of chatter going on lately, but most people seem to like the Motos. I have had some intermittent satellite reception problems, but maybe it's the solar flares???? I'll be using it along with a new Garmin 855 (which has plenty of it own problems) on a trip soon so we shall see how both accept the mission.

Once Motorola gives us a map update or firmware update the chatter will begin again in earnest. Some more info can be found at the Moto support forum at https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/accessories/
  • I like my TN555. I also purchased the traffic cord as an accessory which improves things somewhat. I am just worried because there seems to be absolutely no effort to update the device. No sign that they will ever release 3D landmarks for North America. No sign of a map update. the site has not been updated since i bought the unit.

Out of fear that there will never be an update (especially since the trend seems to be toward cell phones with gps capabilities), I am forced to either wait and get a droid phone with google's gps or get one of the newer garmins. As it is, my map is already outdated.
  • Basically the Moto line of PNDs are pretty good units with interesting and useful features. All we can do is wait and see what shakes out re any updates. As for maps - they are always out of date even before a new update is released. Just the nature of the business at this point. Most are a year out of date with the real world and that is consistent across all gps makers. Some are just further behind than others with inconsistent updates.
  • Has anyone used the voice recognition feature on TN765T? How do you like them?
  • Yes, I use it all of the time. It works fairly good, as long as there isn`t a lot of ambient noise. It works better than my Magellan units do, for sure.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    I never use the voice input on my Moto 765t. It rarely understands me. My nuvi 855 voice input works 100% better than the Moto. It is not perfect, but amazingly accurate and the input level and mic gain can be tweaked.
  • ggin1 0 Points
    I have the TN555, and the voice recognition for the hands-free phone works pretty good. Once in a while you have to yell at it. Strangely, when you call out discrete telephone numbers, saying it faster is more accurate than saying it slower. Once you get use to calling the common names, it becomes pretty natural.
  • I like my TN555. I also purchased the traffic cord as an accessory which improves things somewhat. I am just worried because there seems to be absolutely no effort to update the device. No sign that they will ever release 3D landmarks for North America. No sign of a map update. the site has not been updated since i bought the unit.

Out of fear that there will never be an update (especially since the trend seems to be toward cell phones with gps capabilities), I am forced to either wait and get a droid phone with google's gps or get one of the newer garmins. As it is, my map is already outdated.
    I'm not real clear on the 3-D pack for North America. I have plenty of 3-D buildings in most major cites, so I believe it was already included in the first map update. I even saw some nice 3-D terrain rendering while driving through southwest Virginia today.

Believe me, I like regular updates as much as the next guy, but with Google Search, POI updates are almost irrelevant, and since new construction has slowed so much, how much are we really missing on map updates? Just a thought...(or two!)

I know I sound like I work for Moto, but despite some flaws (no GPS is perfect for everyone), this thing is the bomb. I use it everyday and I like it more everyday. Today it even warned me of my route taking me over a road requiring special permit! Never saw that one before!
  • I tried the bluetooth this past weekend. Call quality was great. I could hear the other end very clearly and the other end did not have any problem either. Bing search with voice recognition was great as well.
  • Any news on a software/map update with the holiday season almost here? I would have expected to hear some news from the Motonav team by now.
  • egale 0 Points
    Unless you have a Garmin or Tomtom, I think you can forget about any kind of timely map updates or support.
  • I had higher expectations for the Motonav, it looks like they had put time and effort into making it.
  • egale 0 Points
    So did I! Fooled me again! It goes in the box with the Navigon and the Magellan!
  • I sent a PM to the Forum manager over at the Motorola site, asking the same thing. Basically, I stated:

"I sent this as a PM so I wouldn't stir up a bunch of needless banter, but do you have any idea when Moto is going to issue a map update or any other updated product for the 765TN? As I'm sure you've seen by my posts, I love the device, but like most techno-geeks, I get a little antsy when things go stale.

I'd be willing to pay for better traffic (Clear Channel would be great!), more 3-D stuff, branded POI icons, more exit representations, and certainly a good map update, but since this thing has been introduced, besides a couple of firmware updates...nothing! So far, all I've been able to do is update my MotoExtras subscription (which I promptly did!).

Please let me know if there's anything in the works, and if so, and you can do so, let the rest of the community know as well and I'm sure people will feel better about owning this great product!"

He responded that it had been a while since he looked in on things (probably because there was nothing to look in on!) but would inquire and get back to me. That was 3 days ago. Haven't heard anything yet.

If I do, I'll certainly share...
  • ThunderLizard,

Any response back from Motorola regarding a map/software update? With the time and effort they put into creating this GPS, I find it hard to belive they'd just abandon it. I'm wanting to pull the trigger on it, but I'd like to see at least a map/software update for 2010.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    You can see the latest discourse on the subject and more at:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/42041?tstart=0

Still no definitive answers.
  • To date, I have not received a response from my Pm to the forum manager, other than to let me know he would look into it and get back to me.

I'm sure, based upon what Moondog wrote in the Moto Company forum, that there is much turmoil and uncertainty at Moto right now, so I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll just have to wait till after 1st of the year.

I may be a diehard, but I still love this GPS, and I only wish I picked mine up for what's being advertised now. Sure, the maps may seem old by the date code, but it hasn't been an issue for me yet...or at least not that I know of. For most routing, the major roads are already there, so I would expect little effect there. Additionally, with the phone link to Google Search, the POI's are always current (through dial up internet search) - more than can be said for any static map on other devices. As business change so rapidly these days, I would go as far as to say that gives the MotoNav a significant edge on all except mobile phones and in-dash units with a live link (like XM, etc.)
  • [What would you like to see added or changed on the Motonav 765t?
    Speed Limit Displayed on the Main Screen.
    Ability to remove the on screen zoom control.
    Speed limits for City/Local streets.
    Ability to select Day Night schemes individually and not in pairs.]

Real time clock on the map view
    At least one or two more cars or coloured arrows lol
    Ability to make pull out screens more opague (see through)
    Better scale, where car actually covers right side of road instead of hovering and hanging over the edges of the hyway, just need a better perspctive on the bootem end of the 3D mode
    Ability to add POI's manually
  • hey guys, been awhile for me in here.
    Ive been using my Motonav 765t fairly often with quirks and all.
    been too busy this fall/winter to catch up on the latest posts/info... hate to chime back-in just because of an issue, but...

UNFORTUNATELY I am NOW running into my second faulty OEM motonav car cable. (plug from lighter to the back of the windshield mount cradle)

without it, seems i can only really run the unit for bout 1 hour with a home charge. NOT good for any real road trip:(

any advice/info on how i can get another etc..?

thanks, appreciate any help from you mates!

cheers,

d
  • Try this (from the Motorola forum):

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/306515#306515

This is a discussion about using aftermarket chargers. They will work to power your unit, but you will lose traffic.

Included in the discussion is contact info for replacement.

Good luck!

BTW - take a look at the SciFi2010 skin. It's easy and works real well. Nice addition to the interface!
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    @T/L - Welcome to the "squiggly" club. Check out the clubhouse. :D
  • Clubhouse?? You mean I'm "in the club"??

...wow!... :shock:
  • dhn 227 Points
    You are. Check out the 'club' forum. :lol:

Congrats.........
  • Congratulations there Thunderlizard, big thumbs up out your way!!
  • Thanks Dowg! :D
  • Anybody hear from Mahammel? It's been months. You think he gave up on the Moto?
  • thanks for the car cable thread info guys, also gonna check out that awesome skin for mine---looks pretty useful! :D

i got one for my parents for xmas. so i'm really doubling down with moto now, lets hope they keep up with this line. :?

from the looks of the forums and the moto support site peeps are getting frustrated. hanging in there for now!
  • Any luck with the MioPocket yet? Just picked up a couple of 16gig uSD's for a 20 spot and figured I'd put in in the moto. Found your post about MioP, then looked it up via website. Sound interesting. That's why I ask.

Thanks for any info.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Check this thread for work done by blueTOOTH: First thoughts on TN765t
  • This may be common knowledge, but I had never realized this before...

If you touch and hold the map while navigating to go into "Search Mode", you can pan around by swiping the screen (it helps to zoom out if you have a lot of distance to cover). Once you find where you want to go, touch and hold the screen and a menu will pop up showing the "checkered flag".
    Just select the checkered flag and *poof* you will be navigating to that destination!

I also believe there's an option presented to make that place a favorite that as well (but I couldn't pay close attention as I was tooling down I-95 at 80 mph!) :shock:

I found this pretty handy when trying to navigate to a rendezvous to meet someone but not knowing what was there. Just another of the nice, useful features of this great GPS. I like it more every time I use it. Now if we can just get a map update...
  • mahammel 41 Points
    Has anyone figured out how to rid one's self of the advertising line? i really do not eat at Red Lobster or stay a Quality Court's.

Thank you in advance

My Camel
  • dhave 0 Points
    Has anyone figured out how to rid one's self of the advertising line? i really do not eat at Red Lobster or stay a Quality Court's.

Thank you in advance

My Camel
    To get rid of Red Lobster ads (and also Outback and most others), I just selected the Settings / Points of Interest / Vehicle / Food / Dietary Preferences / Vegan option. That pretty much eliminates all food-related advertising and POIs. I live in the southeast, so, outside of Atlanta and maybe Asheville or Chapel Hill, there aren't many vegan restaurants. If you live on the west coast, you might get a screenful of ads with the vegan option, so YMMV.

You could probably get the same effect if you choose Halal, Kosher or Macrobiotic.

Just my 2¢.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    thanks for the suggestion. good idea. i'm in atlanta so it's a no braina.

doesn't help with Quality Inns (i think it was). maybe there's a version of "Indian Owned"??

and i don't ride a camel actually.

My Camel
  • I found out where to turn off the ads in the code (the "offers" will still show up in you inbox, just in case you ever really want them :shock: ). I will include this in the next skin I'm working on. (It's part of the zip file).
  • mahammel 41 Points
    soooooooooooo cool 8)

thanks Lizzy Boom
  • dhave 0 Points
    I found out where to turn off the ads in the code (the "offers" will still show up in you inbox, just in case you ever really want them :shock: ). I will include this in the next skin I'm working on. (It's part of the zip file).
    That's a better fix than my vegan workaround. :wink:
  • I found out where to turn off the ads in the code (the "offers" will still show up in you inbox, just in case you ever really want them :shock: ). I will include this in the next skin I'm working on. (It's part of the zip file).

That's a better fix than my vegan workaround. :wink:

Actually, I thought that was pretty creative! :lol:
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    edited March 2011
    As posted in another thread in reply to a "different?" user with a similar problem -
    I'm afraid you are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. As blueTOOTH said in an earlier post - "The software is keyed to PNA's ID" and cannot be used in different PNDs.

Discussion of illegal copyright infringement is not allowed on this forum and well respected by most so we really can't help you any further IMHO.

In the US you can buy a brand new TN765 for $130, so I hope you paid a lot less.
    :cry:
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Nicely handled Spyder. :)
  • mickjcat 0 Points
    Hey there,

I was wondering how come when I download a route from Google Maps after I adjusted the route, it reverts to what the 765t wants to do?
  • moondog151 41 Points
    Unfortunately, any custom route sent to your unit, via Google maps, will not work......your unit will only determine the final destination that you had sent to it, and will adjust that route, by the method you`ve selected in your navigations options (shortest distance, quickest time, ect.)