This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• Thanks lucky, appreciate that. Like you said I was just looking for the complete PND for me and I feel the Moto is it. I sometimes get too passionate about things that I research and purchase, lol. D
  • I just got off the phone with Motorola customer service. I spoke to a lovely lady named Jessica. She informed me that the map updates aren't currently available. When I informed her that I could purchase a map update from their website she stated that the information is up prematurely. They are currently working on the website and it should be updated in the near future. She told me to check the site in a week or so.
  • I'll vouch for wizeguy too, the man has taken the time and effort to write his views and observations about a product. Just because he likes a product and is enthusiastic about it does not automatically mean he works for that company. It is because of his frank and no sugar coated observations I have made my deciscion to also buy a TN765T. Maybe Motorola, Garmin, TomTom, etc. all have employees who do go to forums like these to post "positive" reviews..so some reviews you do have to take with a grain of salt..in fact I do hope they do monitor these sites so that they can also get honest customer feedback from realtime users. I think the Motonav is one of the most exciting GPS systems to come out in a long time and I'm sure it will only get better with more updates.
  • chicagodesi, thanks man. You are correct, I have always been known to be very enthusiastic and excited about the products that I buy and enjoy. I do as much research as possible and just love to help people out if possible. And like you said, I won't sugar coat it although it will seem like that to people who don't agree with my opinion.

Anyhow, like I said earlier I am personally a friend of KingStyle from this thread in San Diego. He had purchased a Garmin 1390 and my enthusiasm about this product pushed him to buy the Moto. The last I've heard he is very satisfied with it.

Of course he has some faults with it, as do I and it would be that way with any device I'm sure. But at the end of the day they aren't deal breakers, at least to me.

Every time I use this device, I like it more and more. And more and more I can't believe there are so many negative things said about it. It's been working out great for me. And I really hope it does for you too!
  • I personally think that WiseGuy is the owner of Motorola.
  • Hahahahaha!!!!!! I know you're joking but that was really funny. I laughed out loud in my office right now.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    What do you think of the Bing feature? I kinda like it, pretty neat to hear top news stories and weather while driving. The only thing so far is while driving at highway speeds it is very hard to hear even with volume turned all the way up. The TTS is plenty loud enough not sure why using Bing is so much quieter? I do have to say a command a few times for it register what I said but I think most gps's with voice command have that problem.
  • I'm the same way you are, I love doing research and reading reviews on almost anything i buy. I'm a big tech geek and I'm always up on reading whats the latest and greatest out there. These reviews benefit others by perhaps preventing them making a costly mistake or discovering sometihng great they would have never known about.
  • caryrae, I like the Bing feature too. I got movie times one night and I got NFL news which was very up to date. I think it's a cool feature for sure.

I haven't noticed the volume, I was in my house testing it when I got the NFL news lol. But I will check while driving and see what happens.

What do you think about destination entry compared to your 1690? I find it much easier and less cumbersome. I played with a 1690 last night at Best Buy.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I have been using a Nuvi for a while so I suppose I am use to it. There are less steps to the 765 but I don't mind the couple extra steps in the 1690, they both work well.

So far I like the routing better on the 1690 gives me a better route imho. Maybe because I have noticed the ETA is not accurate. On the Motonav when following a route I watch the ETA change a lot. Like on my last trip it went from a starting ETA of 3:28pm down to 3:13pm while driving the route, the 1690 only changed by a couple minutes.

I do have very high hopes for the Motonav becasue it seems to have great potential. I just love the extra wide screen and how the map will stay on your postion while navigating different options. It will be interesting how this things turns out as time goes by. Would be cool if you could use the other port on the back to plug in a aux cable or a fm transmitter to hear the Bing service better.
  • I just got off the phone with Motorola customer service. I spoke to a lovely lady named Jessica. She informed me that the map updates aren't currently available. When I informed her that I could purchase a map update from their website she stated that the information is up prematurely. They are currently working on the website and it should be updated in the near future. She told me to check the site in a week or so.
  • I wish that Wiseguy was the owner of Motorola. Then we would have the perfect GPS. :D Until that happens we'll have to settle for what's available.

In response to my earlier post. I felt like you went out of your way to bash the 1690. You had nothing positive to say about it. I have owned the 1690 and two different Garmin 765. I found it to be more than adequate. I also didn't like the shiny border and the roundness of the case. I didn't find it to feel flimsy though. I preferred the Garmin 765 case much more. I found the Garmin menu system to be easier to use and quicker to navigation than the Moto. I do however like the Moto system better. If you put the 1690 and the Moto side by side in direct sunlight the Garmin performs much better. The Moto is very hard to see. The Moto is much better in normal light.

We are talking about a Navigation aide here. It's main function is guidance. I'm looking for it to get me to my destination as quickly and efficiently as possible. Everything else that it does is secondary. If I were judging on how neat it is or how cool it looks or how sturdy it feels. The Moto would be my pick for sure.

You call the issues I have had with the Moto negative reviews. I call them accurate and honest. Just because yours works great doesn't mean that the issues others are experiencing is irrelevant. The Moto has lots of issues that need to be fixed whether you want to acknowledge that or not.

I ran the Moto and the Garmin 765T side by side yesterday on a 300 mile adventure from CT to NY to NJ with several stops. I was able to create a route on Mapquest the night before and load it onto the Garmin. I had to create the route manually on the Moto. Like I said in an earlier post you cannot restart the route in the middle of the trip without it taking you back to the beginning of the route. The Garmin asks you if you want to navigate to the beginning of the route or not. They both followed pretty much the same route. When I took a wrong turn (and there were plenty of them) sometimes the Garmin recalculated quicker and sometimes the Moto did. They both sucked at traffic but that a whole other topic. My decision on which GPS to use in the future came down to one thing basically. That being the little ding ding that the Moto did when it was time to turn. I found this to be the most helpful thing when your down in some god forsaken land called Northern NJ where the street signs are few and far between and some of the streets are like alleys. When that Moto said ding ding and you turned there you were on the right street. With the Garmin I found myself going Oh shit that was my turn as I drove by it to many times.

The Garmin went back today and though the Moto is far from perfect on this day my decision is to keep it and hope they fix the issues with updates. My fear however is that Motorola is doing a trial period here to see what happens. Like was said already here, why on earth would they rush this thing out with a website that's half finished, no customer support to speak of and less than perfect software if they're trying to make a good impression.
  • I really hope that someone at Motorola is monitoring this forum and passes along the complaints/suggestions to the development team. If they can come up with a software update that addresses most of these issues, they'll have a real solid product on their hands.
  • timothyjok, sorry if I came across that way. My intention was just to point out what I like better about the Moto compared to the Garmin. The Garmin definitely has a lot of pros, but most of them coincide with the Moto. Such as Google Local Search, fuel prices, weather, etc.

I think those features sort of cancel each other out on each device. So with that being said, I commented on the aesthetics, build quality, UI and menu navigation. I prefer the Moto in all of those categories.

The only thing I couldn't try obviously is the routing and traffic. But it seems like you say they are pretty similar in those departments.

I hope for yours, mine and everyone's sake that Moto does release some updates to make this device a great one. D
  • Just as a quick update, the Moto TN765t is $280 with free shipping on Amazon through RitzCamera right now!

At that price I would definitely jump on it if you are considering this unit!
  • I give it a month or so, it will definitely drop below $200. I don't think these are selling out just yet. Motorola is a risky brand for the GPS market.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    My 785t got here last night. Taking it out of the box I am impressed. It looks sharp, very slim, with a minum of plastic frame around the screen. After downloading the Motonav Toolbox, desktop application, it took me a about three hours to download and install the updates.

I like the look of the map, but it will take me a while to get used to some of the on screen features. I really liked that it played the standard, "I promise not to play with the buttons while driving", and followed that with checkbox option to never see the warning ever displayed again. That was followed with a very long license agreement that self scrolled for almost three minutes, before allowing me to tap on the 'I Agree' box.

When I turned on the Motonav 765t this morning, the map instantly popped onto the screen, without any Motonav or Motorola flash or loading batr that needed to fill as the system loaded.

Motonav's website is confusing and although I created my account and can log in on the web, I can not log in to the Motonav Toolbox app, though it seems that I dont need that to udate the 765t.

More to follow.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    @WizeGuyDezignz

Here's a question I have been meaning to ask regarding the Moto POI database.....can you find Valkenvania and route to it? :lol: :lol: :wink:

(Nothing better to wonder about on a chilly, rainy, windy Saturday morning.) :roll:
  • Spyder, hahaha! It's funny you ask because many moons ago when I signed up on Amazon I didn't realize they wanted your real name and location. I treated it like a message board and thought it was more like a screen name.

So I chose Irwin M. Fletcher from one of my favorite movies, (Fletch) and Valkenvania as the location from another movie I enjoyed at the time (Nothing But Trouble).

Who knows, maybe Google will find it! wink
  • Seeing that The Motonav has both Google search and Bing search where they both do basically the same thing. And seeing that Microsoft and Motorola have entered into an agreement to provide Bing search on their Android based phones. And seeing that Bing search is not listed with the other features that we'll have to pay for after three months.I'm thinking that maybe Bing search is separate from the pay services and if you opt not to purchase the other services you still get Bing search for free. Does anyone have any insight into this?
  • I dont think you can search POIs via bing, but I havent really used it much.
  • yes you can
  • How do you search POIs with Bing? And you are correct, Bing is a separate service and I don't believe you have to pay for it if you decide not to renew MotoExtras.
  • Business search
  • Bing search seems to be geared towards a mobile phone app. as everything is spoken and the info is either spoken back or delivered via text message. It asked for my home address at one point and said it would store the info for future use. Bing is a direct competitor of Google so the info is very similar. I searched the word cigar shop in Google and the nearest one it gave me was the same one Bing found for me. I think Bing called it Bing 411. I gave Bing a business name and it sent the address and phone number to my phone via text message.
  • Just for ha ha's I create a route using Bing maps. I clicked on the send button then the GPS option. It said it was sent successfully but I couldn't find the info anywhere on the GPS. I checked the F drive and It had created a folder named Garnin with GPX file in it. interesting.....
  • TxBs 0 Points
    OK, so I have taken the 765t out for its first road test; a fifty mile drive from the suburbs into downtown Houston, to eat lunch at Bubba's Burger Shack. (Awesome Buffalo burgers sold from a shack under a freeway off-ramp) My conclusion on the Motonav 765t....I love it and its a keeper. If anyone wants a slightly used Garmin 765t my old one will be on Amazon later this evening.

Things I really like about the Motonav:
    The screen and maps are beautiful. One of the best I have ever seen. It really does a good job of displaying the streets and surrounding areas that are adjacent to your route.

One of the things I missed most about going from my 2100max to the Garmin 765 was being able to see on-screen POI's. The Motonav’s POI database is amazing. In fact I am going to have to deselect some of the choices as the number of teardrops icons sure does fill the screen. As I searched the nearby POI’s the Sears selection did have a $10.00 off an oil change noted with it.

Auto zoom is perfect and gave me no problems, the 3D images, when I hit downtown Houston, were very well done. The Astro’s Minute Maid field looked great and I liked being able to spin the map around it.

I also like having actual volume and zoom buttons on the back of the unit. I thought this would be a duplicated waste from the on screen selections, but the added functionality is quite nice. When the kids wanted to ask something, I found I liked being able to reach out and tap the back of the unit and not need to fumble with screen selections to mute the TTS.

It was very easy to pair up with my Iphone, but I do not have the on screen texting, but I also knew it would the two would not be compatible. Voice activated dialing is very smooth and easy to use.

TTS is very good, and gives the perfect amount of info. Lane guidance was integrated nicely and I like how it does not blank out the map screen for a few seconds as the Junction view on the Navigon and Garmin does. I thought I would miss the nicely laid out graphics, the rounded corners and placement of the on-screen messages from the Garmin, but the blue with white text bar displaying your next street is not hard to get used to. It also displayed ramp numbers along with the name of the highway exit.

One feature I also like is the trip status bar along the left edge of the screen. It highlights your progress and blocks out in red, upcoming traffic issues. The bigger the red zone, the longer the traffic tie-up.

The items I would like to see changed are:

Out of the thousand of POI teardrops I saw, only three or were branded Icons; Two Hampton Inns, and a Comfort Suites. I would like to see more company and branded logos replace the generic teardrops,. Ie; Golden Arches to represent a McDonalds.

I did not use the side info panel that slides into the left third of the screen. Not having that open caused me to really miss out on any on-screen representation of my speed. I want to see my actual speed displayed next to the Speed Limit icon. I would also like to set the warning to announce when I am going more than five or ten miles an hour over the limit, and not, as it does now, when the speed limit is barely exceeded. Maybe I can, I’ll have to look this up in the instructions.

Feel free to ask questions. I am happy to have finally found, after using and returning a Tom Tom, my current Garmin; a permanent ‘keeper’ GPS.
  • TxBs, glad you found a keeper! I went from a 7200T to this and it's definitely a keeper for me as well. In short, I love it.

I'm not sure if we will see more branded POI icons in the future. I believe the ones that are branded (Olive Garden, Arco, Comfort Suites, etc.) are advertisers. At least that's what I'm thinking since their teardrops are much bigger than normal ones as well. But coming from the Navigon, I also hope we see branded icons. It's a great feature!

I also would like to see my current speed next to the Speed Limit icon. They definitely can fit it and it would be perfect. Because when I am navigating, I usually have the left slideout panel open with the Trip Info tab. That tab has everything that I want to see while in route EXCEPT my current speed which is on a different tab. I would like them to put it where you suggested as it would solve my problem.

I don't believe that you can set the unit to announce that you are going over the speed limit by 5, 10, 15 or 20 mph like the Navigon. Hopefully that is something they can add as well.

Other than that, I have zero complaints or issues with this GPS!
  • Just as an update, my girlfriend and I took a short day trip today from San Diego to Dana Point, California. It's a little over 1 hour each way.

The Motonav performed like a champ. The routing was excellent and we took full advantage of the robust POI database coupled with the Google Local Search to find us a place to eat.

But the highlight of our trip was the traffic feature. I was starting to get worried as I've read scattered reports of the traffic not being accurate. Going in I knew that every GPS isn't totally accurate with traffic, but I was still worried reading about it.

I am proud to report that the traffic the Motonav reported was 100% accurate. At least on this specific route it was. While driving on the freeway there were two separate occasions where there was traffic on the opposite side of the freeway. We were heading north bound and the traffic was south bound.

Anyhow, as soon as we saw the traffic stoppage is exactly the point on the map where the freeway line graphic turned red and had the traffic icon. As soon as the traffic was no longer visible, the red went away on the freeway line graphic. That happened twice on our route and both times it was virtually pinpoint accurate to what we visually saw.

I am loving this unit more and more as each day passes. I honestly think I have found the perfect GPS for my needs and easily the best GPS that I have ever laid my hands on.
  • I feel bad for your gf. She might be pretty jealous right about now.
  • It sounds like he wants to marry the Moto. He's probably fondling it right now. :lol:
  • I put a storage card in it. I don't see any way to access it from the device. It shows up as the G drive on my computer with the Moto being called the F drive. Any thoughts folks?
  • Haha, funny! D

timothyjok, why would you want to access the card from the device itself?
  • timothyjok 0 Points
    edited March 2010
    Why wouldn't I? I'm not sure what purpose it would serve otherwise.
  • On my Navigon 7200T I would only access the SD card from my computer to install new maps, custom POIs, etc. Once I did that everything would be accessible on the device.

What are you trying to do by accessing the drive (card) on the device itself?
  • timothyjok 0 Points
    edited March 2010
    Right. Everything was accessible on the 7200. You can do all that without a storage card.
  • Does the moto have any kind of media player or a picture viewer? If not, the SD card possibly serves for the future maps of other countries. In this case, the device will find them automatically.

If you were to unlock it, then you could probably get access to the removable card from the device. Is the F drive accessible from the computer? If yes, then it would be pretty easy to modify the start up sequence and have it boot into Windows.
  • Yes it is accessible from the computer
  • TxBs 0 Points
    I had been having some issues getting my Motonav 765t to connect to the Motonav Toolbox. Today I decided to un-install the toolbox program and try a new download and fresh reinstall.

The version of the toolbox that was reloaded was a newer version and now I am having no problems getting the 765t to connect.

I do have newer maps listed, but I am unable to download them. Anyway I may wait to see if newer maps come out in the next 90 days.

Your thoughts?
  • We're all trying to figure out how to get our free map update from Motorola
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    edited March 2010
    Currently on Amazon (3/13/10)

Motorola Motonav TN765T 5.1-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic

List Price: $349.99

Price: $271.54

Only 71 more bucks to go and xxhaimbondxx jumps into the foray! :lol:

3/15/10 - Whoops.....snooze ya lose......price back up to $285.08 & this item ships for FREE
  • $71.55 to be exact. However, I might go back on my word since I bought a 42 inch Toshiba this weekend and frankly, I am tired of buying high priced stuff.

Besides, there is also a shipping charge. Yeebay has it cheaper, plus there is a bing cashback.
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Well, OK....we were going to take up a collection on your behalf for the 54 cents, but, never mind then... :lol: :lol: I'll take up your quest and wait for the $200 price point. Enjoy the big screen.
  • xxhaimbondxx, you're missing out bro. wink

Sell your 7200T and get the Moto. twisted
  • TxBs 0 Points
    I second that advice. A lot of my decision was made on Wize's recommendations and postings and I am glad I listened.
  • I don't know if I like Motorola as a company, especially after my latest experience. I attempted to download the pictures from my dad's cell phone to my laptop and after installing the drivers, I found out that to get the actual software, I would have to purchase it at conveniently located retailers. What other company SELL the software for their phones? They are simply to grab a buck.

Motorola never made it big in the GPS market, and they had all the time in the world. Their previous devices were low quality and offered no features whatsoever. Who knows how long will support last for this one? If it doesn't sell big, the future looks uncertain.

Also, a few users reported some quirky routing- pretty important stuff.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    We're all trying to figure out how to get our free map update from Motorola
    I received this from Motorola earlier today.

"To confirm timothyjok’s post the free offer is up prematurely and the MOTOEXTRAS Web site is currently in beta testing, and some site features and buying updates are still not available. Motorola is currently working on the website and it should be updated in the near future. Sorry for any inconvenience."

They are aware of this thread. :)
  • timothyjok 0 Points
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if I like Motorola as a company, especially after my latest experience. I attempted to download the pictures from my dad's cell phone to my laptop and after installing the drivers, I found out that to get the actual software, I would have to purchase it at conveniently located retailers. What other company SELL the software for their phones? They are simply to grab a buck.

Motorola never made it big in the GPS market, and they had all the time in the world. Their previous devices were low quality and offered no features whatsoever. Who knows how long will support last for this one? If it doesn't sell big, the future looks uncertain.

Also, a few users reported some quirky routing- pretty important stuff.
    I share those concerns. You would think that they would be further along with the website because they've had a GPS on the market for a year +. You call them and they don't have a clue.

As far as the routing goes. It does have quirky routing but I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that GPS's in general have quirky routing.
    I traveled with a coworker for a year all over new england. He has an older Garmin. We followed it blindly because we were not familiar with where we were going. It always got us to the destination. I did not have a problem with the routing until I bought my own and started using it in familiar areas. Then I saw how illogical they are with routing at times.

I've found that on the Moto it generally reallies more on the time. If the times are the same it can and does send you on the longer route because it thinks it doesn't matter. The problem with that is that the time estimate isn't always accurate. I've been checking every route it takes on Google and Mapquest and Bing trying to figure out why it goes the way it does and that's pretty much what I've come up with.

Another thing I've noticed about the routing is sometimes there's a lack of voice prompts. It follows the right route but it won't tell you there's a right or left turn and the next turn that's displayed on top is a ways down the road. This happens in one particular area that I have gone through twice. I was two miles from a highway in a residential area. I had to follow the road I was on for approx. a half mile then take a right turn onto a secondary street that led down to the highway entrance. Then I would get on the highway for a short distance and exit on the right. Well at two miles away on this route it told me to prepare to get off the highway like I was actually on the highway but the line on the map was following the correct route. This concerns me. I think this is a little more than quirky routing.
  • We're all trying to figure out how to get our free map update from Motorola

I received this from Motorola earlier today.

"To confirm timothyjok’s post the free offer is up prematurely and the MOTOEXTRAS Web site is currently in beta testing, and some site features and buying updates are still not available. Motorola is currently working on the website and it should be updated in the near future. Sorry for any inconvenience."

They are aware of this thread. :)
    That's great! Maybe we can get them to answer some questions for us though this forum as I haven't had any luck with calling or emailing them