This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• gatorguy 224 Points
    I wouldn't hold out hope. Seems like they're just getting support rolled out.
  • I'm hoping to find out about custom POI files like red light cameras and speed cameras with proximity alerts. I'm pretty sure these things will be able to be added as they already use it with their speed zone alert. I was able to load a poi file on the Moto using Garmin's POI loader. I wasn't able to see them on the Moto but I know they loaded. I just don't know what file extension they use on the Moto.
  • Its funny some mention quirky routing, on my Garmin 1390T it had the worst route to my work possible. It would first tell me to turn left, which was probably .5 miles longer, then while on the freeway it wanted me to take an exit at San Diego State, and lead me through a residential place in order to get on a road. The Moto, correctly, keeps me on the freeway, connects me to another, and doesnt have me waste time on back streets.
  • Kingstyle,
    When I first got the Moto it was the only GPS that routed me correctly on my way home from work then one day it started routing me the same way as all my Garmins.

I'm not sure if your trying to say that you don't believe me. If you haven't experienced quirky routing you haven't used it enough. I have over 1000 miles logged on mine with many different routes and destinations as I use it for work.
  • It's cause the Moto is the best! lol

Joking aside, I haven't had any routing quirks yet myself. At least nothing of note or annoyance. Routing quirks will show up in every GPS ever created unfortunately but I'm just glad the Moto has been down to a great minimum thus far.
  • Kingstyle,
    When I first got the Moto it was the only GPS that routed me correctly on my way home from work then one day it started routing me the same way as all my Garmins.

I'm not sure if your trying to say that you don't believe me. If you haven't experienced quirky routing you haven't used it enough. I have over 1000 miles logged on mine with many different routes and destinations as I use it for work.
    Im not an avid traveler, but Ive used it every single day since I purchased it on March 9th. 30 miles a day since I bought it and multiple routes around town on the weekends just for fun. I never said I didnt believe you, dont be so defensive. I merely explained the differences in "quirky" routes I had with another GPS.

Its not for you to say if I have or have not used it enough.
  • I was just surfing around the net and Cnet posted a First Look video about the 765. I'm assuming a review won't be too far behind.

http//reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/motorola-motonav-tn765t-personal/4505-3430_7-33996073.html

P.S. Does anyone know why it is not linking?
  • dhn 227 Points
    P.S. Does anyone know why it is not linking?
    The admin prefers not to have live links on this site.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Thanks for that Spyder :)
  • Oh ok, thanks for the policies! Any idea why quoting a post isn't working though? Thanks!
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    edited March 2010
    Looks to me like it is working..... There are 2 ways to "quote", well 3 if you just do the quote marks. :lol:

Your post above looks like you did a Reply Quote - and it worked.

If you manually quote - using the begin and end quote tags, then you can just select the text you want to quote, copy it, and paste it between the Quote and Quote* tags. If you start a manual quote you should see the Quote tag/tab change to the ending quote tag with the asterisk.

One shortcut is to paste the text and while it is highlighted just click on the Quote tag and both will be placed in the right places. I believe this method works with any tag used, bold, etc.
    This is an example of a manual quote. Using start and ending tags
    Look at the bottom left corner of the page when you are composing a post. See Options? Click on the BBCode link and you will see the tags available on this forum and how to use them. Not all BB tags in existence are allowed/available for our use on this site.
  • The Moto tried to take a route that was five miles longer in distance and ten minutes longer in time today??????
    I should say that was the only crazy one out of 5 or 6 trips. The rest were spot on.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Saw some new cool things on my Motonav 765 today. The first was as I was driving though a residential area, I recieved a warning that I was in a traffic enforcement area. Then the motonav displayed a small rectangle with Your Speed in white, and below it in red digits, displayed to mimic the display from one of the mobile roadside speed monitoring trailers, was my current speed. The box was in the exact same spot that the Highway Speed limit sign fills. I dont knowwhat would happen if both needed to dissplay at the same time.

The second thing I noticed was that when the 'on route' POI pop out screen is showing; there are direction arrows that point to the directon of the POI's location. Someone else mentioned, not seeing the direction of the POIs was something he missed. This is not all POIs but it is some.

Graphical POI's Seen (Feel free to build onto this list);
    Hampton Inn
    PF Changs
    Starbucks
    Carraba's Restaurant
    Quality Suites
  • Looks to me like it is working..... There are 2 ways to "quote", well 3 if you just do the quote marks. :lol:

Your post above looks like you did a Reply Quote - and it worked.

If you manually quote - using the begin and end quote tags, then you can just select the text you want to quote, copy it, and paste it between the Quote and Quote* tags. If you start a manual quote you should see the Quote tag/tab change to the ending quote tag with the asterisk.

One shortcut is to paste the text and while it is highlighted just click on the Quote tag and both will be placed in the right places. I believe this method works with any tag used, bold, etc.
    This is an example of a manual quote. Using start and ending tags
    Look at the bottom left corner of the page when you are composing a post. See Options? Click on the BBCode link and you will see the tags available on this forum and how to use them. Not all BB tags in existence are allowed/available for our use on this site.
    Cool, thanks Spyder!
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    TxBs said:
    Saw some new cool things on my Motonav 765 today.
    You guys need to start keeping your digital cameras handy and show us some of these "neato features" 8) No way to do a screen shot like some Garmins can?
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Not that I found.
  • I saw Longhorn Steakhouse icon.

I also for the first time saw the advertising banner. I was parked at work and a Best western ad was displayed in the upper right corner just below the street name banner. I didn't find it obtrusive or annoying at all. It didn't block anything and it was only displayed while stopped
  • TxBs 0 Points
    I saw the same Best Western message, around 12:30 pm Central today. I knew there was somthing else I wanted to add. It was for 1500 Best Western points.

Graphical POI's Seen (Feel free to build onto this list);
    Hampton Inn
    PF Changs
    Starbucks
    Carraba's Restaurant
    Quality Suites
    Longhorn Steakhouse
  • Best Western is the only ad in the offer inbox. Does anyone have anything else in the offer inbox? If so does it pop up on the screen?
  • Olive Garden has a graphical POI where I live, you can add that to your list.

In my offer box I've had Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Sears and Quality Suites I believe. I've never seen one pop up on the map while navigating or even stopped for that matter. I will have to pay attention.
  • TxBs said:
    Saw some new cool things on my Motonav 765 today.
    You guys need to start keeping your digital cameras handy and show us some of these "neato features" 8) No way to do a screen shot like some Garmins can?
    Yeah I need to start snapping photos of this thing. I am just afraid my girlfriend will really think I've gone crazy! Haha!
  • Spyder63 231 Points
    Put her to work....she can be the Vanna White of the GPS world! :lol:
  • If I wait a few weeks, do you guys think I might be able to purchase the TN765T with updated/latest maps installed? I'm going to sell my Magellan 1470 and get this awesome GPS, but I'm hoping that by then Motorola will have refreshed their units before shipping them out to sellers?
  • If I wait a few weeks, do you guys think I might be able to purchase the TN765T with updated/latest maps installed? I'm going to sell my Magellan 1470 and get this awesome GPS, but I'm hoping that by then Motorola will have refreshed their units before shipping them out to sellers?
    I would wait until they have their website functioning or until the folks who bought one get their free update
  • Timothy, i sure hope Motorola updates their website and fast! I'm sure it won't be long before they release a software update which addresses some minor issues that users are reporting. I'm glad that they are in fact monitoring this website, they are getting valuable feedback from users in the real world and not in a test environment.
  • For sure. I don't know what the hold up could be. Hey Motorola, LET"S GO ALREADY
  • It definitely needs a map update. I went to Providence RI today. They have been doing a major reconstruction/reconfiguration of the 95/195 interchange there. I was running the Moto side by side a Garmin 1490T. The Garmin had the updated map and the Moto didn't. The Garmin belongs to a coworker that purchased it two months ago. They both use NAVTEQ maps so I'm not sure why the older Garmin would have a more updated map than a new Moto.

I'm liking the Moto more and more but am very concerned about customer service, map updates,software/firmware updates. I just don't know how dedicated Motorola is to their GPS line.
    Seeing the way they have operated so far doesn't give me much comfort. I'm hoping for the best though.
  • I've been using the Motonav for three days and I've noticed some quirks about it:
    - Traffic: It takes a good 8-10 minutes to receive traffic. It's RDS-FM based traffic system as it requires the car charger to receive the signal. Due to this the traffic report is about 10 minutes behind what is happening on the road.
    - Favorites: there is no way to edit the address or location of the favorites once it is saved.
    - Route optimization: Does it have IQ routes? It seems like the routes aren't always the best. It may be the slow RDS traffic report that could cause this. So far it cannot calculate accurate ETA like the Tomtom 740 Go Live.
    - Motoextras: Can only use this feature if you have a phone synced via bluetooth. I prefer syncing my phone to the native car bluetooth, and because of the limitation of bluetooth I cannot connect to two devices simultaneously. Also, when I opt to sync to the motonav the speaker is not loud enough for voice calls. There's a software error as the other voice prompts are loud.
    - Searching address: Sometimes the address search can take a very long time. It would be nice if the software is optimized for faster results.
    - Themes: Wish there was some kind of customization for more color themes. For example, the daytime theme for "vibrant" is nice but the night time theme is butt ugly. I hope there is more customization for this.
    - Speed limit profiles: Wish there were speed limit profiles for local streets. So far I've seen none on the local streets.
    - Ability to navigate to a point on the map: So far the only way to navigate is based on address, zip code to center of city, and POI. It needs the ability to navigate to a point selected on the map in the "view map" mode.
    - Custom roadblocks: It needs a way to block a certain road during construction so that it doesn't create a route through that street.

Other than the complains I have above it is a very solid first product launch. I wish the future software updates can fix a lot of the mentioned deficiencies.
  • So I am getting close to week 3 of owning this device and I just wanted to say that I'm still enjoying it. It's not perfect but it's better than anything that I've had.

A map update would be nice and some software tweaks, but other than that this is a keeper for sure.
  • Graphical POI's Seen (Feel free to build onto this list);
    Hampton Inn
    PF Changs
    Starbucks
    Carraba's Restaurant
    Quality Suites
    Longhorn Steakhouse
    BP (fuel station)
  • Olive Garden
    Arco (fuel station, same company as BP I believe)

I have passed a couple Starbucks but haven't noticed the logo. I will pay more attention.
  • Graphical POI's Seen (Feel free to build onto this list);
    Hampton Inn
    PF Changs
    Starbucks
    Carraba's Restaurant
    Quality Suites
    Longhorn Steakhouse
    BP (fuel station)
    Olive Garden
    Arco (fuel station, same company as BP I believe)
  • I confirmed Arco is a BP company. BP is the parent company. Seems like Arco is their west coast name for fuel stations.
  • http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=42.126111,-72.605038&spn=0.068751,0.149689&z=13&msid=115016410638861360771.0004822df53c78b07dee1

Here's a map I attempted to make with Google maps. If you click on the letters on the left it will display the info about the three different routes from today.
  • Wow, so it chose a poor route. I wonder why?
  • Not sure why. It seems to have a diversion to Route 5 for some reason.
    I'm really liking the choice of route thing that is offered by selecting the car next to the "GO" tab. I don't always remember to check the routes before hitting go. I wish that map screen could be opened into a bigger screen as it's not easy to see the difference in the routes.
  • Isn't "car" always selected by default?
  • I meant the car icon right next to the GO tab that you press just before navigation starts
  • caryrae 92 Points
    It's like the MyRoutes or whatever it's called on the Navigons.
  • Oh yeah, that's what I thought you were talking about. Once in there you can choose shortest, quickest or mostly highways right? And you can also choose car, bicycle, pedestrian, etc.
  • It's like the MyRoutes or whatever it's called on the Navigons.
    caryrae, how is the Moto working out for you? I know that you were kind of on the fence between this and the Garmin.
  • Oh yeah, that's what I thought you were talking about. Once in there you can choose shortest, quickest or mostly highways right? And you can also choose car, bicycle, pedestrian, etc.
    After you enter a destination the slide from the right has a car with the word options under it in the upper right corner. If you select that tab it opens a window with the three route options mapped out. You can then choose whichever one you want. You can also change to bicycle or pedestrian too. I wish you could select that map and make it larger so you could better see the three route options.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I still like my 1690 better. Haven't used the moto this week, I was off work. I am hoping with updates and map updates it will get better. I just like getting the info (except bing) on the 1690 without needing a bluetooth phone and the routing is better. Still left a sour taste when the moto couldn't find 2 addresses I was looking for last week when all other gps's, phone apps, ect found them no problem with one address it was saying it was in a different city then it actually is in. These were places that have been around a long time.
  • Ah, I see. Definitely keep us updated! And I am with you, they need to get us this map update already! And some software updates. :D
  • Cnet review is up for the Motonav Tn765t! They gave it an excellent rating of 4 out of 5 stars!

http//reviews.cnet.com/car-gps-navigation/motorola-motonav-tn765t-personal/4505-3430_7-33996073.html
  • timothyjok 0 Points
    edited March 2010
    Some thoughts on the routing from today.
    I forgot to check the route options at the time today. So I don't know what others options it was giving me. B and C are very close in distance so I can see why it chose one over the other. That's what I've been noticing about the routing, even though they're close in distance one goes through the center of town with five traffic lights and one follows a four lane road with one traffic light and 45 to 55 mph speed limit. We're not talking about a lot of difference.

The thing that concerns me more is the route option I had selected. That being "mostly highway". I'm wondering why when I created the route on trip planner from home it always routed me onto route 91 no matter what setting I had it on. I can understand mostly highway but It's definitely not the shortest distance. I even shut it off and then create a whole new route just in case it needed a restart to accept the new option. The one thing I think might have made a difference is the direction I was traveling at the time today.
  • From the Cnet review:

"The TN765t's cradle is atypical in that it can draw power from the PND's internal battery, enabling it to be used without a 12-volt power connection. This is a nice Easter egg for users who like to go cordless for short trips or carry the device from vehicle to vehicle."

I didn't know this! Did anyone know about this? It's pretty cool I thought.
  • I still like my 1690 better. Haven't used the moto this week, I was off work. I am hoping with updates and map updates it will get better. I just like getting the info (except bing) on the 1690 without needing a bluetooth phone and the routing is better. Still left a sour taste when the moto couldn't find 2 addresses I was looking for last week when all other gps's, phone apps, ect found them no problem with one address it was saying it was in a different city then it actually is in. These were places that have been around a long time.
    I had that problem yesterday. It wouldn't find the address of a business I was looking for. The thing that I was able to do with the Moto that I couldn't do with the 1690 was type in the name of the business in the address bar and it popped up immediately. I didn't even have to Google it.
  • From the Cnet review:

"The TN765t's cradle is atypical in that it can draw power from the PND's internal battery, enabling it to be used without a 12-volt power connection. This is a nice Easter egg for users who like to go cordless for short trips or carry the device from vehicle to vehicle."

I didn't know this! Did anyone know about this? It's pretty cool I thought.
    I used the Moto for two hours yesterday without it being plugged in. The only thing it wouldn't do that the Garmin 765 will do without being plugged in is traffic info.