This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• From the Cnet review:

"The TN765t's cradle is atypical in that it can draw power from the PND's internal battery, enabling it to be used without a 12-volt power connection. This is a nice Easter egg for users who like to go cordless for short trips or carry the device from vehicle to vehicle."

I didn't know this! Did anyone know about this? It's pretty cool I thought.

I used the Moto for two hours yesterday without it being plugged in. The only thing it wouldn't do that the Garmin 765 will do without being plugged in is traffic info.
    I confirm timothyjok and what the traffic quick start guide says, which is available for view online. For traffic info the cradle must be connected to a 12V source for it to work. I'm not sure what other features the Cnet review is referring to...
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I still like my 1690 better. Haven't used the moto this week, I was off work. I am hoping with updates and map updates it will get better. I just like getting the info (except bing) on the 1690 without needing a bluetooth phone and the routing is better. Still left a sour taste when the moto couldn't find 2 addresses I was looking for last week when all other gps's, phone apps, ect found them no problem with one address it was saying it was in a different city then it actually is in. These were places that have been around a long time.

I had that problem yesterday. It wouldn't find the address of a business I was looking for. The thing that I was able to do with the Moto that I couldn't do with the 1690 was type in the name of the business in the address bar and it popped up immediately. I didn't even have to Google it.
    Yeah that's a nice small feature but I don't mind the couple extra steps to just find a business through the poi's or google on the 1690.
  • What do you guys think of the Cnet review?
  • Didn't read it yet. I'm more interested in our real world reviews
  • Haha good point. I've been trying to use my Motonav as much as possible even to places that I already know how to get to. I don't have any crippling problems with it yet. It's definitely not perfect, but it's been doing well so far.
  • The CNET review incorrectly states that Garmin NuLink has HD traffic. It does not.
    I didn't find the always connected traffic on my 1690 to update any faster or to be more accurate than normal FM traffic. It was the same traffic just delivered differently. In one side by side with a 1490 the 1490 had more accurate traffic info.
  • Yeah, from what I understand the Cydle T43H is the only GPS with HD traffic currently. And I owned one of those and the traffic didn't work well for me. It was a pain to hold a signal.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    I love lists so after being in Boston all week I'm heading back to Texas today, so here I am with another list. I am hoping Motorola is reading this and will use the info here to make an already great device even better.

As usual feel free to copy/paste and add to this list.

A note on the day/night screen selection. I love the daytime vibrant selection, but it's night choice is not impressive. On the other hand i really like the night time choice of the smooth option.

What would you like to see added or changed on the Motonav 765t?
    Speed Limit Displayed on the Main Screen.
    Ability to remove the on screen zoom control.
    Speed limits for City/Local streets.
    Ability to select Day Night schemes individually and not in pairs.

• caryrae 92 Points
    Ability to pick what kind of food you are looking for (fast food, BBQ, American, chinese, ect)
    Would like the volume when using Bing while driving to be louder.
  • caryrae, have you tried typing in the type of food in the destination box? If you type in "Chinese", all of the Chinese restaurants in the area will come up. Same for "Bbq", "American", "Italian", "Mexican", "Indian", etc.

The only one that doesn't seem to work well is "Fast Food". I'm not sure if there is a specific word for that one. But all of the other cuisines work great when you type in the word.
  • What would you like to see added or changed on the Motonav 765t?
    Ability to pick what kind of food you are looking for (fast food, BBQ, American, chinese, ect)
    Name of current street on bottom of screen.
  • Just as an update, Amazon has the TN765t for $273.15. I think this is the cheapest yet.
  • caryrae 92 Points

- Ability to navigate to a point on the map: So far the only way to navigate is based on address, zip code to center of city, and POI. It needs the ability to navigate to a point selected on the map in the "view map" mode.
    You can do this just hold your finger on the map and an icon will pop up with an info button and flag button just click the flag and you can route to that spot.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i'd like to change the vehicle from a stupid triangle to a hot rod (or???) :lol:

• - Ability to navigate to a point on the map: So far the only way to navigate is based on address, zip code to center of city, and POI. It needs the ability to navigate to a point selected on the map in the "view map" mode.

You can do this just hold your finger on the map and an icon will pop up with an info button and flag button just click the flag and you can route to that spot.
    Neat!
    Thanks for the tip :)
  • TxBs 0 Points
    The ability to change the triangle icon to a car.
  • What would you like to see added or changed on the Motonav 765t?
    The ability to change the triangle icon to a car.
    Please add:
    Increased volume when using bluetooth.
    Ability to block/unblock access to a certain street/hwy during construction. (adding an option to setup expiration to the block i.e. 1w, 2w, 1m, 2m, 6m, etc)
  • mahammel 41 Points
    here are a few questions for you talented users out there:

1. How would one set up for multiple routing? (i.e. a trip with 3 stops) :?:

2. Is it possible to record a route, then replay it at a later time/date? it would be helpful if you don't agree with the unit's route and you want to have different directions than the one(s) it gives you. :?:

3. Does anyone know how to create a destination using contacts? maybe something like saving a contact as a favorite? then going to a favorite? :?:

My Camel
  • here are a few questions for you talented users out there:

1. How would one set up for multiple routing? (i.e. a trip with 3 stops) :?:

2. Is it possible to record a route, then replay it at a later time/date? it would be helpful if you don't agree with the unit's route and you want to have different directions than the one(s) it gives you. :?:

3. Does anyone know how to create a destination using contacts? maybe something like saving a contact as a favorite? then going to a favorite? :?:

My Camel
    Trip planner for multiple stops or add via points to an existing route

You are limited to three choices in routing. You cannot create a route through Google maps or mapqest. You can send POI's to the unit from Google. You can also just add via points along the route you want it to follow

I don't believe it's possible to navigate to a phone contact without manually putting in the address or going through Google
  • mahammel 41 Points
    Trip planner for multiple stops or add via points to an existing route

You are limited to three choices in routing. You cannot create a route through Google maps or mapqest. You can send POI's to the unit from Google. You can also just add via points along the route you want it to follow

I don't believe it's possible to navigate to a phone contact without manually putting in the address or going through Google
    You're very correct! thanks for the tips.
    i'll work on the routing ideas tomorrow or when i have more thought cells.

sorry to hear it but.....contacts are part of the "phone" system so i can see why not but i think it could be a great feature

i have seen that when you're editing waypoints, you can click (tap, hold) and drag to change the order of them. i've also seen it other places. so when in an edit mode, try things-they may work.

i have located a point on google.com maps, and sent them to the PND using the s/n as the identifier. it actually sends them to a site in Seattle, WA and stores them there. when you use the PND to download them from google it calls the number and transfers them. pretty cool stuff. that's what Motorola apparently does well! specialty things like that.

cool device i must say. once you begin to understand it, it begins to make sense. i used my Lowance for 3-4 years before it was stolen and was very familiar with it's operation. i had gotten used to it so now it's going to take me time to re-do my thinking process (not that there IS a lot going on).

My Camel
  • The more I use the more I like it. I do look forward to Motorola's commitment to seeing this through.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i know! i just bought mine Friday about 3PM and at 4 or so the price was $11 less. Amazon wrote me back and said "sorry charlie" the price is what it was.

so much for tuna at a reduced price.

none-the-less, i'm beginning to grow fond of my new PND.

My Camel
  • If you call them they will price adjust once as a courtesy. If they don't return it
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i'll give them a day :P and call tomorrow.

thanks a lot! i paid 20 to have it overnighted so i'd have a weekend to play. it was well worth it in this case. i'm tied up a good part of the next 3 days.

oh oh oh oh i have a destination to plug in!! forgot!! let's see how it does with a partial name or if i have to find it, a map point!!

C ya

Thanks

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    oh oh oh oh i have a destination to plug in!! forgot!! let's see how it does with a partial name or if i have to find it, a map point
    well, i input convention cen and atlanta and if found the correct one right away. i saved it as a favorite.

but

when i found it on the map and i wanted to save that location (not go to it but save it) as a favorite i couldn't figure out how to do that.

any thought anyone?
  • Speaking of tips and such, you can also click and drag the icons in your main menu to reorder it as you want it. I'm sure most of you knew that, but just in case. D
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Graphical POI's Seen (Feel free to build onto this list);
    Hampton Inn
    PF Changs
    Starbucks
    Carraba's Restaurant
    Quality Suites
    Longhorn Steakhouse
    BP (fuel station)
    Olive Garden
    Arco (fuel station, same company as BP I believe)
    Rodeway Inns and Suites (same co. as Quality Inns)
  • mahammel 41 Points
    here's an interesting note: (many may already know it)

when accessing "destination", simply put in a POI name (i.e. Joey's Tavern) and it will try to find it. somehow it knows not to look for a street name, but a POI name. how do it know?

My Camel
  • That motorola he's a smart guy :D
  • here's an interesting note (many may already know it)

when accessing "destination", simply put in a POI name (i.e. Joey's Tavern) and it will try to find it. somehow it knows not to look for a street name, but a POI name. how do it know?

My Camel
    Yes, that's exactly what I love about entering destinations with this unit. If you want "Joey's Tavern", you just type in "Joey's Tavern". It will find it without any extra steps or screens.

If you want "1234 Main Avenue", just type in "1234 Main", you don't even have to put "Avenue". It will find it.

But best of all, and I'm not sure how many people know this. If you want to find Indian food for example. Simply type in "Indian". It will find all the POI's that serve Indian food. Same for if you type in "Mexican", "Italian", "Pizza", "Chinese", etc.

This is what I love so much about the Moto compared to other brands. The searching is quick and on one screen. You don't have to keep advancing to different screens to find something.
  • here's an interesting note: (many may already know it)

My Camel

Yes, that's exactly what I love about entering destinations with this unit. If you want "Joey's Tavern", you just type in "Joey's Tavern". It will find it without any extra steps or screens.

If you want "1234 Main Avenue", just type in "1234 Main", you don't even have to put "Avenue". It will find it.

But best of all, and I'm not sure how many people know this. If you want to find Indian food for example. Simply type in "Indian". It will find all the POI's that serve Indian food. Same for if you type in "Mexican", "Italian", "Pizza", "Chinese", etc.

This is what I love so much about the Moto compared to other brands. The searching is quick and on one screen. You don't have to keep advancing to different screens to find something.
    Yeah it's great when it works. Unfortunately I have on at least two occasions not been able to locate a known address. I searched Ninety Nine restaurant this weekend and it showed all of them but the closest one to my house. The thing I do like is there are several other ways to find places with the Moto
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i wonder (will try sometime) if you can give part of a street name/number and the zip to find those hard to find addresses.

my Garmin and Lowrance often times have difficulties with finding specifics. i would have to search (for example) Main street downtown when it could not find "jones street" wehn i know it's downtown and i know it exists. or the spelling is wrong or it was just entered into the gps's system wrong.

anyway, the versatility of this search system is incredible.

(I still want a hotrod and not a triangle)

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i do have to say the battery life is El Sucko! if you want to sit and play with it, you'll need to bring in the mount and use a DC/AC 12 adapter. it ain't gonna last you an hour. (but then, who cares?)

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    I suspect y'all are getting tireed of my questions, but a guy gotta know what a guy gotta know!

so the question is:

what purpose does the micro sd card slot serve? what can/do you store on the card? and more importantly: how do you access it?
  • I'm assuming that slot will be so you can add extras to the device. If you look at the MotoExtras website, they have a ton of stuff that isn't available yet like POIs, 3D maps and stuff like that. So I'm assuming it's for bigger map files and stuff.
  • Website updated!!! It doesn't recognize my info and I keep getting errors when I try to register
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Same error here. I see they have their own forum too.
  • And now it's gone?????
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I still see it here. http://motonav.early.demo.naviextras.com/shop/portal/home

What does this mean?
    Naviextras is in TEST mode now. You can buy updates with test credit card numbers, and you will get 1-week trial licenses and a test invoice.
  • I have no clue? that link goes to the old page
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Oh I though that was the new one because if this is the one you thought was new I have been looking at this one the whole time. https://motonav.naviextras.com/shop/portal
  • refresh the page
  • What are you guys seeing that's different? It doesn't look different to me. I refreshed and I'm still logged in.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    edited March 2010
    I see 2 different websites with the 2 links I posted and when I refresh either link they still look the same. One I can login and the other I get the error message when trying to register.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i suspect they're playing with the site rather than doing it off line (say what? this is the big M!)

does anyone have a PND support phone number?

and

does anyone know how to purchase a back up/travel power chord and cradle?

My Camel
  • Oh I see, they are testing the site. That's great news! I noticed on the test site that the "PC Extras" icon is now highlighted. Hopefully they will give us some goodies!
  • mahammel 41 Points
    whoa wizzie! i said "I suspect". hell i don' know what they be doin'. :?: :P

but i agree. if they ARE, that's great news. i'm willing to wait but i sure am stumbling around their site(s) now.

sometimes i wonder if they know s KIS means :P
  • Haha I know you said suspect, but they must be. It seems like it's in a test mode so hopefully we see the working site soon!
  • With some internet digging, I found out some interesting stuff. Some of you may already be aware of this, but the Motonav definitely is using Nav N Go software.

And the MotoExtras are also being provided by Nav N Go's service called naviextras.

Here is the link to the info:

http://navngo.com/pages/global/eng/news_and_press/naviextras_2009_q3_eng_20091215

Once you click on that link, click on the naviextras.com link within that article. Once on naviextras website, scroll down a bit and look along the left side of the page. It says "HOW TO GET STARTED?". Click on the link that says "Verify if your device is supported".

Once you click on that scroll down to "Motonav PND Models". You can then click on that link and it brings you to the MotoExtras website.

**UPDATE** You can also login on naviextras.com with your MotoExtras username and password! You can even act like you are about to purchase something but it will redirect you to the MotoExtras website.
  • Oh, I would also suggest surfing around Nav N Go's website too. Their software options look great and it leaves a lot of potential for the Motonav with 3D maps and stuff like that!

I remember hearing the Motonav was using Nav N Go so I decided to do a Google search on the company. As soon as the website came up the software looked familiar. Because it was!

Sorry, I'm sick and bored, so I am doing a lot of surfing right now lol.