This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• mahammel 41 Points
    you're absolutely spot on (as they say across the pond). great find. now we can watch "M" mature their website and know where they're going.

thanks Designer (and we hope you get to feeling better SOON) but don't stop searching!

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    here's an interesting few paragraphs. looks like someone is trying to create a consortium or something! this is from the naviextras page of motoextras on the motorola page.

Naviextras.com is the official map update portal for a growing number of navigation devices.

With naviextras.com, it's easier than ever to keep your navigation system up-to-date, and to receive additional maps, points of interest, voices and many more useful and fun contents.

The site is developed and operated by NNG Global Services Llc., a leading provider of navigation software.

Official name of the company: NNG Global Services Llc.
    Registered seat: 1016 Budapest, Bérc u. 23.
    Tax number: 14646605-2-41, HU14646605
    Company reg no: 01-09-913383 (Budapest City Court as Court of Registration)
  • Thanks My Camel, I just have this darn cold that I get once but usually twice per year. I hope to get better soon!

Yeah the Nav N Go site looks like they have a lot of things going on. I just hope Motorola keeps up with everything and picks the best features from Nav N Go and makes them available to us!

I'm really interested in the 3D maps that show up on the MotoExtras site. And looking at Nav N Go's 3D maps, there is a lot of potential!
  • Hey wizeguy,

Di you ever get the map update for your TN765T? I think I see that Q42009 maps are available..let me know..I'm still on the lookout for this GPS and hope to snag one in the next few weeks.
  • cperk 0 Points
    Has anyone been sucessful with the map update? I've been dealing with Motorola now for the past three days and they can't seem to figure it out. They gave me a code to enter on the naviextras site, but all that did was give me a subscription to the services for 1 year, which I'm not complaining about, since I get to keep it for free. But I really want the maps.

Also anyone else have problems hearing the phone calls on bluetooth. Mine is very low, really can't hear it and end up switching to the phone. I brought this to the customer service rep attention and he stated he will follow up on it. I'm impressed with CS as they call me every day trying to solve the problem.. I only made an initial call.

I hope that they get their stuff together as this is the best GPS I've had to date, puts my Garmins to shame with features. A few options could be added on the display such as the speed limits for major roads and not just highways, but I'm sure they'll probably come with time.

In the mean time if someone gets an answer before me how to get the maps please post it, and I will do the same.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    As this is now the end of Q1 and we will shortly be into Q2, I dont know if I even want, if offered, my new free map if it's from Q4 2009.

There must be within the next two months even a newer map version coming out. If I only get one free upgrade I dont want a five month old map.

Your Thoughts???
  • mahammel 41 Points
    what phone number did you use to contact this group?

My Camel
  • Nobody that I'm aware of has been successful with a map update. I seriously think Motorola rushed to release the Motonav before their other services were ready. Or maybe they didn't rush it but didn't think MotoExtras would take this long to get ready.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a negative as I love my Motonav, but I hope they get everything together soon before most of us get past 60 days of ownership. Hopefully they will honor a free map update if that happens as a courtesy of not having their act together.

While a Q1 2010 update would be ideal, I would definitely take a Q4 2009 update. In reality roads aren't changing that quick and drastically so I could live with Q4 2009 for now. I just want them to do something lol.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Graphical POI's Seen (Feel free to build onto this list);
    Hampton Inn
    PF Changs
    Starbucks
    Carraba's Restaurant
    Quality Suites
    Longhorn Steakhouse
    BP (fuel station)
    Olive Garden
    Arco (fuel station, same company as BP I believe)
    Rodeway Inns and Suites (same co. as Quality Inns)
    Springhill Suites - Galleria
  • I was just thinking about something. If the Motonav doesn't do well and Motorola pulls the plug within a year, I have no confidence that any company can compete in the PND market that isn't named Garmin, TomTom or Magellan. Especially after how good the Navigon 7200T was and they couldn't even survive.

This unit has really impressed me and I think if Motorola treats it right, it can become one of the best PND's on the market. As it is I already think it's one of the best, IMO. This unit has so much potential and upside. I'm really interested to see how this all pans out.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Based on my track record, I'm not expecting good things. Seeing how I fell in love with the 8 track tape player when i was in 6th grade, the laser disk player in 10th grade and my most of my NAVIGON, I see the rug being pulled from under my feet, just like all the other items i have fallen in love with.
  • cperk 0 Points
    mahammel, the number I called was 800-331-6456. This number was givent to me by a rep while trying to solve the issue in a live chat. Make sure you ask for the Motonav department when you call.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    that's what i twas looking for. Thanks!

My Camel :D
  • mahammel 41 Points
    aren't new users supposed to get free map upgrade? i can't find anywhere that they make that statement in writing. i finally got to support for PND and they say i can purchase Q4 2009 for $80 or for $50 in the first 90 days.

i KNOW we've discussed that here and now i had to hang up with them until i can prove it.

HELP ME.
    :!: :!: :!:

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    also, i now have gotted the 2nd level tech support nummber

(you guys and gals owe me big time!)

Level 2 Tech Support
    866 438 3060

you're welcome

My Camel
  • caryrae 92 Points
    aren't new users supposed to get free map upgrade? i can't find anywhere that they make that statement in writing. i finally got to support for PND and they say i can purchase Q4 2009 for $80 or for $50 in the first 90 days.

i KNOW we've discussed that here and now i had to hang up with them until i can prove it.

HELP ME.
    :!: :!: :!:

My Camel
    I posted this from their website and it's still there. On the right side of page https://motonav.naviextras.com/shop/portal

Current Owners:

Check to see if you are eligible for a free map upgrade. Log in to the toolbox and connect your MOTONAV device. If a new map is available and you are within 60 days of the device's first use, the toolbox will identify a new map for free download.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    thanks! i KNEW it! dummy me.

i talked with 2nd level support. she verified (30 days) but still-----

there is supposed to be a "scratch-off" box on something (probably a credit like card) inside the new device. i did not get one.

i emailed Amazon and they immediately sent me ship back info and are sending anew unit overnight. we'll see if THIS one has a scratch-off box somewhere.

Amazon rocks when thigns are supposed to go right and they don't. (IMHO)

thanks
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Huh, I just looked in my box and didn't see any scratch off card either and I got my at jr.com.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    thanks! i KNEW it! dummy me.

i talked with 2nd level support. she verified (30 days) but still-----
    I even looked in the manual and it says 60 days. So not sure where she got 30 days from.
  • I also didn't receive any sort of scratch off card in my box. I don't feel like going through the hassle of returning mine so I am going to get on the horn with Motorola when I get a chance and see if they can just give me a redeemable code over the phone or in an email.

Keep us updated!
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Well I called the support number too and the nice lady told me that yes we need that card with the code on it which I did not get either. The lady told me I would have to fax the invoice from the website I bought mine from so they can verify that it was a brand new unit and she would see about getting me a code. She will either call me or e-mail me back. So we will see what happens. Wonder if anybody got this card with the code? Just wish it would mention it somewhere that we need this code to get the update instead of us consumers trying to figure it out.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    well, i am in a meeting in the moringing and fed ex may not be able todeliver cause we're out in the country for the weekend. let's see if
    1. fedex can handle this and
    2. lets see if theres an accessc code in THIS shipment. may have to wait until monday.

will keep you up to date :?: :roll:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    let us know what you get from them and how you got it.

i want q4 (and may wait for q1 2010 if it is coming out in april! might be worth waiting for?>??
  • mahammel 41 Points
    WELL fedex FINALLY showed up (2:30PM) with the replacement unit from Amazon. again,these guys care!

there is NO CARD or scratch off ANYTHING in the box. soooooo

now we must waitunntil Monday, as support is closed on weekends.

will keep y'all updated as i progress through the corporate maze.

My Camel
  • My Camel,

Sorry to hear about that but I had a feeling that was going to be the result. Maybe it was their original intention to add a scratch off card to the packages but they didn't. My friend also has this unit and he didn't get a card.

Hopefully they can issue all of us who purchased this device already a redeemable code via phone or email. I'm sure it's easy for them since it's just a code that will activate the download.

Definitely keep us updated! I will call Motorola on Monday as well.
  • cperk 0 Points
    Even if they put a card in the box, it would only be good for the extras like weather, and fuel prices. Motorola insisted the code they gave me would entitle me to the maps, but it only gave me the extras for one year.

As I pointed out to the rep, to get the map. you have to use the map page which only gives creditcards as the option to pay. No place to enter a code. After looking at the site, the rep agreed and stated he would get back to me on a solution on Friday. I guess they're stumped too as I got no call.

According to the naviextras site, If a content is available for you after payment, the price and an icon representing a price tag with a "$" sign is shown for that item. If an update is available for you free of charge, there is no "$" sign on the price tag. You can find out more details about the updates by clicking on the blue (i) icon.

It's quite obvious that Motorola is not up to par allowing the free download.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    thaks for the tip. i'll also check on this on Monday with them.

got to be a solution :)

also, i know there's a way to transfer favorites from one unit to another-my guess is through "my computer" and the added drive. copy to the hard drive (i'm guesing) and copy back to the new 765. but i don't know the extension(s).

tghe system will NOT allow you to back up one and restore to another. i tried.

there is also "transfer my contents" in hte toolbox but only the maps are there. the favorites aren't there.

questions are growing!!!! poor support guys. we're getting ahead of THEM! :twisted:
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Well I don't care how good a GPS is, if it's this hard to get their customers the map update it says we are suppose to get on there website and in the manual and saying we are suppose to get a code in our boxes but nobody seems to have gotten one then they don't deserve my business anymore. I mean come on why ship it with 2009Q1 maps when their site and toolbox say there is a 2009Q4 update available right away? Why couldn't the new maps or even just newer maps have been installed in the first place?
  • Yeah, they definitely have some organizing to do as far as their customer service department goes. I hope they are taking it serious and actually working on it. Which it would seem like with that little preview of the new MotoExtras that we saw the other day.

They may not deserve my business based on their customer service efforts thus far, but they earn it with the device. I am going to stay a customer for the device alone. Right out of the box I have been thoroughly enjoying it and the upside and potential is off the charts if they treat it right. It's definitely a keeper for me because of that alone. I am willing to take the risk.

With that being said, I still hope that they get their customer service in order and give us all that free map update. If we all call them and since it's blatantly posted on their website and manual, I can't see how they can deny us it. I'm holding out hope!
  • They better do something quick. If i don't see a vast improvement in the routing with a map or software upgrade soon it's going back no matter how cool it is.
    I'm starting to think that everything that you can add to a Garmin as far as POI's, Traffic camera's, custom cars, proximity alerts etc. for free will be something that Motorola is going to charge for.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    If i don't see a vast improvement in the routing with a map or software upgrade soon it's going back no matter how cool it is.
    Don't forget that Motorola isn't brand new to the GPS market. While there is a new series of devices they've just released, they have other devices that go back longer. (So they have a bit of a track record.)

Also, since they are not writing the navigation software themselves and are just licensing third party software... they are not entirely in control of the destiny of the product. They have to convince another company to implement changes. (Unlike companies such as Garmin and TomTom that have the final say in their own products.)
  • They better do something quick. If i don't see a vast improvement in the routing with a map or software upgrade soon it's going back no matter how cool it is.
    I'm starting to think that everything that you can add to a Garmin as far as POI's, Traffic camera's, custom cars, proximity alerts etc. for free will be something that Motorola is going to charge for.
    Are you having major routing problems? I haven't had a problem yet with routing aside from a small quirk here and there which has been nothing to bother writing about.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Well the site now says:
    MOTOEXTRAS is in DEV mode now. You can buy updates with test credit card numbers, and you will get 1-week trial licenses and a test invoice.
    It use to say TEST Mode instead of DEV Mode. I also notice that when you look at the maps and more the only map for North America that is offered is for Mexico and you can also get a Dutch guidence voice for free.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i spoke with Nancy and a supervisor, Carmen at 0900 eastern.

1st: i was told that there were no map updates available
    2nd: i asked for and spoke with a supervisor
    3rd: she told me she would have Nancy submit a trouble ticket and they should have a number to input to their system within 6-8 hours.
    subnote. by going to motoextras/downloads, there is no place to input a code. by going to motoextras/updates or /maps & more there is a code input location. there is no place i can find to input a code using toolbox.
    4th: nancy took my serial number and purchase date and said she would be back as soon as she got the number.

more in the next post :P
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i posed 3 questions to Nancy. she could not answer any of them. she was going to send to GPS group for their response. here are the quesitons:

1. i have 2 765's. i want to transfer informatino from one to the other. how do i do that?
    answer: i'm not sure. i don't think you can do that but i will check. my respose was what about moving the information from one to the other by copying the files from one gps to the comptuer then loading onto the 2nd one. i suggested that one would need to know the file extension and name to be able to copy them. she will ask. that however does not address ADDING information to the 2nd unit. only copying over the file.

2. how do i use the contacts i transferedd from my phone to the gps, as favorites?
    answer: i will ask

3. i sent 45 google map locations to the google folder in favorites. now i want to put them in a folder i made in favorites, called "business". how do i move A GROUP (not individually) from one folder to another? it now takes 3-4 key strokes to move ONE record from google to business. i need to move 45. how do i do it?
    as a subset to that question, how do i organize the favorites? if i "edit" i can only "move" one favorite up or down by 2 or 3 spaces. if i have the last one and i want to make it the first one, i have to move it 22 (or so) times to get it to the first slot.

i gotta tell you folks. these may be little things but they DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE in my mind.

i may just end up sending both back and buying a Garmin (yuch. i hate thinking/saying that) :(

My Camel
  • My Camel,

Can't you just send the new unit back that didn't come with a scratch off card in the box and keep the original unit with all of your information in the GPS already?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yeah, i thunk of that of course.

neither had a "scratch-off" card.

i would prefer to keep the newer unit (albeit there are only 400 in between and the sw is identical.

it thought it would be a good excersize for them and for us. information gathering, if you will.

i gotta say, my little lowrance 350 with it's slow drive and weak signals is 'generally' much easier to use. the only thing it lacks is the excellent voice announcing system.

side note: the voice recognition of the 765 sucks big time. it doesn't understand my at all. (maybe i shouldn't be eating when trying to talk to it?)

My Camel
  • My Camel,

That's unfortunate to hear. I hope you figure everything out because it is nice having you here! You gather a lot of info and share it. Keep us updated!
  • mahammel 41 Points
    thanks. i appreciate that. glad to assist. i don't get much of an opportunity to sshare things so this is something i can do to assist others.

i do like the packaging and operation-in general. it has merit.

Motorola is a first class company (having been a Ham for MANY years now, they were one of my first ham radios for the higher frequencies (VHF/UHF). they just didn't break.

someone mentioned that they are licensing the software in the gps. i hope it's a wholly owned company. then they CAN effect changes.

i'd love to know if their engineers are monitoring this site.

the customer base is still very small and if you look at this forum, there are only about 5 participating. that tells us something.

maybe the powers-that-be here will make a Morotola forum rather than having us as a subset to the general GPS. if they do, it might make a difference by including the name with the others.

ARE YOU LISTENING MODERATORS? :roll:

My Camel
  • andre2p 0 Points
    Hello My Camel,

I am not participating but reading your answers. I am about to buy a 765 but holding up until I see your questions answered. I am especially interested on the map update issue.

Thanks!
    AC
  • Tim 1465 Points
    someone mentioned that they are licensing the software in the gps. i hope it's a wholly owned company. then they CAN effect changes.
    It is not a company Motorola owns. They just license the software like dozens of other small GPS companies.
    maybe the powers-that-be here will make a Morotola forum rather than having us as a subset to the general GPS.
    There really isn't enough discussion to warrant a new section. There are several other GPS companies that have even more discussion (like DeLorme as one example) that we don't have specific sections for... there are just too many of these smaller companies to list them all.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    great to have you snooping :P

don't worry. i know they'll do it and it will be fine.

even though they have been through this, as others have said a few times, they still are newbies at this. their forte is OTHER than GPS. i cannot believe they have more that 3-4 engineers/support staff. it's just not a big thing for them.

that said, i am giving them a lot of credit for HOW they're handling these NEW issues. no one has gotten mad. when i asked for supervisor, it was IMMEDIATE "yes sir. one moment please".

so, i expect to see some inadequecies (sp?) and or limitiations in this product but it's a powerful tool none-the-less.

also keep in mind you will get 1 update. some should wait for the 1q 2010 if you want the most current. (my bet is that the economy has lessened the emphasis on major updates.) i'll settle for q4 09.

i should have it in a day or two. but i assure you we'll all get it.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    hi Tim. thanks for the response (i should have paid attention to your icon).

it can't hurt to ask :oops: you don' get it lessin' ya ask!

do you know the supplier of the SOFTWARE? not the mapping stuff but the actual SW? it seems different than all others and has a Motorola "flair" to it. that's why i think they have more of a hand in it than we think.

but then................what do i know. i'm just a cusotmer :x

but thanks agian Tim.

My Camel
  • Tim 1465 Points
    do you know the supplier of the SOFTWARE?
    The name of the company is NNG Global and the software is called iGo. There are a few different versions of iGo and each company that licenses the software puts their own "skin" on the software and sometimes a unique feature or two.

But that is precisely why some of us are not terribly excited about the product. There have been dozens of companies who have outsourced hardware, loaded iGo software on, slapped their own company logo on the GPS, and called it good. They've never had much influence to add new features, aggressively fix bugs, etc.

There have been dozens of companies that have tried this approach, but virtually all have failed to get much traction in the GPS market. The Motorola device isn't really a bad GPS-- but it will face the same hurdles dozens of other companies have gone through.

Harman Kardon basically did the same thing... Big company with brand recognition, purchased some hardware, licensed iGo, didn't sell enough units, never fixed any bugs, and now users are left high and dry without map updates, without warranty repairs, and a paperweight on their desk.

I don't have anything against Motorola, nor the iGo software... but when dozens (even big names) have tried this approach in the past and failed I have to ask What Motorola will do different that will result in a different outcome... So far I don't see what that will be.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    just thought of some more to add.

i haven't figured out how to find a location in Google maps using Lat/Lon.

any suggestions? 'cause if you can do that, then you can download to your 765. otherwise i don't see a way to search Lat/Lon in the 765.

thoughts anyone?

my Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    again, thanks Tim. very useful info. i'll do some searching on iGo. don't know them but then, this isn't my business. we make laser rangefindes. totally unrelated (unles you consider distance as the common factor)

what you say makes perfect sense. i do remember seeing harmon kardon gps in the past. now i undersand much better as to why they 'went away'.

sometimes the name makes a difference but then sometimes it's more a hinderence than an assist.

hmmmm. i'll have to give this a lot of thought.

you have now exposed your backside Tim.

if you had to go for the best----knowing what you know----who and what model would you decide on?

gotcha!

My Camel
  • Tim 1465 Points
    if you had to go for the best----knowing what you know----who and what model would you decide on?
    That is tough to say-- there are about 20,000 pages of content on this site trying to answer that very question. :) Everyone has their own needs and desired features; mine are likely different from yours.

My own favorites (in no particular order) are the Nuvi 1350 and the TomTom XL 340s.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yeah. i know. i too looked seriously at the 1350 (t) and took one from Walmart once. it was superb but then i started to read what was out there on the Motormola (sic) and i tried it as well.

i have a hang up (it's a wife thingy). the following is jumping around cause i'm getting tired of thinking about this. life shouldn't be this hard!

my Lowrance 500 was stolen from the car. my wife has a 350 that she's become familar with. i did that so that if/when we change cars, the interface will be familiar to her.

now that the 500 is gone, and i figure i don't need one as my wife does (she travels the state of poorness (read: Georgia) for the state and needs something good but uncomplicated.

i thought i could teach her the 765 but i'm finding it's not working too well (age/wifeness, etc.) and i would keep the 350.

i've also read a lot on the 255. it's been around a long time but if it's proven then .......

so now i'm really torn.

maybe i keep the 765 for myself, and get her a 1350 or 255 or a paper map. yeah. that's the answer. a paper map.
  • do you know the supplier of the SOFTWARE?

The name of the company is NNG Global and the software is called iGo. There are a few different versions of iGo and each company that licenses the software puts their own "skin" on the software and sometimes a unique feature or two.

But that is precisely why some of us are not terribly excited about the product. There have been dozens of companies who have outsourced hardware, loaded iGo software on, slapped their own company logo on the GPS, and called it good. They've never had much influence to add new features, aggressively fix bugs, etc.

There have been dozens of companies that have tried this approach, but virtually all have failed to get much traction in the GPS market. The Motorola device isn't really a bad GPS-- but it will face the same hurdles dozens of other companies have gone through.

Harman Kardon basically did the same thing... Big company with brand recognition, purchased some hardware, licensed iGo, didn't sell enough units, never fixed any bugs, and now users are left high and dry without map updates, without warranty repairs, and a paperweight on their desk.

I don't have anything against Motorola, nor the iGo software... but when dozens (even big names) have tried this approach in the past and failed I have to ask What Motorola will do different that will result in a different outcome... So far I don't see what that will be.
    Thanks Tim for all this info. It really helped me make my decision on keeping it or sending it back. Nice try Motorola. I'm not willing to risk 300.00 dollars at this point in time. The Garmin 1690 may not be as pretty as the Moto but it works just as well if not better and I know I'll have updates and excellent customer support. See you in the Garmin thread...
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i just got off the phone with support WRT map updates.

they gave me a code that i was able to plug-in to the https://motonav.naviextras.com/shop/portal website.

unfortunately (or fortunately for me) it seems that it gave me the "Motoextras service bundle code-
    which includes:
    GoogleTM Local Search
    Flight Status
    Fuel Prices
    Send address from web to PND
    Weather

now he has to go back and find the code for maps-or so he says.

another day-another $300.

anyone else have luck on the maps?

My Camel