This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• TxBs 0 Points
    I also had a similar experiance today when I called customer support.

I spoke to Victoria, who was in South Florida, she was very nice and tried very hard to help me.

She, like all the other customer service reps you'all have spoken too also thought there was supposed to be a card in the box with an activation code. She was suprised when I told her the Motonave site was sitll in Beta, now DEV, mode and had nowhere for a code to go if I have even received one.

After putting me on hold, she was very polite about it, she told me the people she needed to speak with were in a meeting. She told me she would call me later in the day. (My Iphone died-so I dont know if she called. The Iphone battery sucks.)

I also told her to have someone check this site out to see all of our problems we are having getting our 765's updated.

From here on out we should all be asking to speak with the same rep.
    Who's rep should that be?
    Sounds like WizeGuy found a supervisor.

I am sticking with my Motonav, and will remain hopeful they get the bugs worked out. It still runs laps around my Garmin and is one great GPS.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    My Camel in a reply to Tim wrote:
    i too looked seriously at the 1350 (t) and took one from Walmart once.
    Did you ever get caught? :wink: :roll:

Watch it OM, you'll give the rest of us Hams a bad reputation! :lol:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    very good catch. no one says i'm smart! but i did return it!

wb9gmo/4
    My Camel
  • do you know the supplier of the SOFTWARE?

The name of the company is NNG Global and the software is called iGo. There are a few different versions of iGo and each company that licenses the software puts their own "skin" on the software and sometimes a unique feature or two.

But that is precisely why some of us are not terribly excited about the product. There have been dozens of companies who have outsourced hardware, loaded iGo software on, slapped their own company logo on the GPS, and called it good. They've never had much influence to add new features, aggressively fix bugs, etc.

There have been dozens of companies that have tried this approach, but virtually all have failed to get much traction in the GPS market. The Motorola device isn't really a bad GPS-- but it will face the same hurdles dozens of other companies have gone through.

Harman Kardon basically did the same thing... Big company with brand recognition, purchased some hardware, licensed iGo, didn't sell enough units, never fixed any bugs, and now users are left high and dry without map updates, without warranty repairs, and a paperweight on their desk.

I don't have anything against Motorola, nor the iGo software... but when dozens (even big names) have tried this approach in the past and failed I have to ask What Motorola will do different that will result in a different outcome... So far I don't see what that will be.

Thanks Tim for all this info. It really helped me make my decision on keeping it or sending it back. Nice try Motorola. I'm not willing to risk 300.00 dollars at this point in time. The Garmin 1690 may not be as pretty as the Moto but it works just as well if not better and I know I'll have updates and excellent customer support. See you in the Garmin thread...
    That's too bad to see you go timothyjok. It was fun while it lasted! I wish you luck with your new GPS. Definitely keep up with this thread if you can

Like papa in the Cydle thread, I hope I'm not the only one left with a Motonav once the dust settles! I am definitely sticking with mine and will give Motorola a chance. If it doesn't work out I will ride whichever latest maps they have out until I start running into problems which could be a couple years or even much more. I ran on 3 year old maps when I had my Street Pilot back in the day, so I know it's possible. Companies simply push quarterly maps to make money IMO.

Who else is with me? :lol:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    I are. I'm still waiting for my answers from "M" and the maps upgrade.

I just have to have patience with my XYL (Read:Wife) and hope she learns it.

Still torn whether or not to keep both or return one. i CAN use the old Lowrance 350. The XYL is the one that needs current maps.

glad you're sticking it out.

(The XYL and call letters are for Spyder) :lol:
    My Camel
    WB9GMO/4
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i'm on with victoria. she remember talking with (who?) yesterday and is callhing him and me back later today.

i am also adding 2 more quesitons:

how do you search by lat/lon
    how do you delete a folder in favorites
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Companies simply push quarterly maps to make money IMO.
    At least with the Garmin Lifetime map updates service it has saved me alot of money since I only paid $90 for it and now get all the quarterly map updates I want for no extra cost for my 1690. Just go to the mygarmin website and it tells me a map update is available then just download it free. It also looks like tomtom quarterly maps are only $10/quarter which isn't very exspensive. They have a 1 year map update service for $39.80 per year.
  • Companies simply push quarterly maps to make money IMO.

At least with the Garmin Lifetime map updates service it has saved me alot of money since I only paid $90 for it and now get all the quarterly map updates I want for no extra cost for my 1690. Just go to the mygarmin website and it tells me a map update is available then just download it free. It also looks like tomtom quarterly maps are only $10/quarter which isn't very exspensive. They have a 1 year map update service for $39.80 per year.
    For sure, I'm not saying they are totally worthless. I just have had plenty of success with older maps as well. I would definitely be on board with a lifetime map update service, but if somehow Moto throws in the towel on the Motonav, I'm sure I will be fine for a while with their latest maps.

I just think quarterly maps are a bit overkill but of course there is a market for them (people who drive for a living, etc.). And if you get a lifetime update service then it's not overkill and worth downloading them as they come out.

Are you keeping the Motonav or just going to stick to your 1690?
  • i'm on with victoria. she remember talking with (who?) yesterday and is callhing him and me back later today.

i am also adding 2 more quesitons:

how do you search by lat/lon
    how do you delete a folder in favorites
    My Camel,

Definitely keep us updated. I still haven't had a chance to call Moto! My work hours kind of interfere with their office hours and I keep forgetting to bring my device to work so I can give them my serial number. Do I need to give them my serial number to get a code?

Also, I don't believe you can search by lat/lon on this device. And I don't have my device with me, but if I remember correctly to delete a favorites folder you just click on the folder and click edit. Then click on it again and it will make this red icon show up next to it and then you click ok or something. I will have to look at my device later to get the exact steps down.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Are you keeping the Motonav or just going to stick to your 1690?
    I think I am just going to stick with my 1690 it is a great gps. It's just $300 for the motonav is to much of a gamble IMHO since there first couple gps's didn't do so well and they can't seem to get this map update thing figured out and saying we sould all have received the code in our boxes but no one seemed to get one. I even faxed the info I was told to fax to get my code last Friday and they would call or e-mail me but haven't heard a thing back from them.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    correct. Victoria and i are unable to figure out how to use lat/lon in a destination search.

WRT the folder deletion, it must have a favorite (record) in the folder before it will delete the folder. if the folder is empty, it will not delete.

Victoria is now trying to see how to transfer contacts to favorites. i don't personally see how but it should be possible.

she's a sweetheart.

she will be calling l txbs back in a few minutes :!: :lol:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    the maps are not ready to give us yet, according to her. we need to wait until they are ready. it will probably be Q3 and it may take a few more weeks. check back with hte website from tiem to time she says. :?
  • Hey mates! I never join forums, BUT here goes!! Had to chime in because of all of your great input on this …

i just got the motonav 700 5.1 series based on your very detailed forum and reviews, that in addition to the CNET review that Antuan Goodwin did earlier in the month sealed the deal!!.

Anyway, yes this is literally my first PND! Let’s just say I’ve been waiting for the prices/features to start looking like this for a LONG time—this forum was part of me making my decision to pull the trigger on getting it**

SO, it's a nice device --- IT definitely has some bugs, but I am optimistic this baby will get the crucial update to smooth out the issues.
    Issues so far:

New 195-95 interchange in providence RI is completely nonexistent--- it thinks I am flying over a river with my car!?

Some of the routes are not logical but that’s not unheard of..
    Was in Manhattan - NYC over weekend and experienced a number of issues doing a basic route to some major NUMBERED streets.

That shouldn’t be happening---Manhattan has been a basically unchanged grid forever..

Examples:

i.e. East 60th St or the split numbered streets in Long Island City Queens – couldn't find, wouldn’t auto-fill possible waypoints on sub-menu either.. i ended up having to do POI keyword searches to get a trip..

OR another:

35-37 28th street Long Island City etc…again, ended up having to point to area POIs based on zip codes to make a route happen at all---anyone have those issues?

Anyway, doesn’t get any more straightforward than New York City if I had to guess…

Had some Bluetooth connectivity issues that threw up a PC error message couple of times with my 1st gen iPhone during handsfree calling, but is working fine now and tested the mobile data search---seemed interesting. haven't gone deep into it yet for that..

Not a deal breaker for me though.
    Essentially like a minor crash of the UI and a windows error message came up ---device needed to be rebooted..

Traffic info kinda difficult for me to gauge at this point---need to do more testing in real world situations to measure my exact experience on that…
    ---etc---
    BUT, I am hopeful that these guys at Motorola will resolve it?
    It would be utterly stupid for them not to look at this resource.
    Got mine for about 260 from tiger direct. i guess maybe we are beta testing!?!
    haha.
    BTW, wise; Are you really going to bail on it so soon??
    I gotta believe that something is coming--- if not then I would maybe have to pass on it too!?
    I guess even 260 is too much to plunk down for something that might be flawed at this level going forward--- as far as maps are concerned.
    But, I really want to hang in there with this device because of it sheer beauty, excellent industrial design, size, UI, overall features --- speech to text street names, in addition to the overall nav layout.. etc.
    Heck, even the window mount and cradle seem to be excellent. That’s a real plus.
    It’s just a solid recipe for a category leader at this price point as far as I can tell. (Just needs those tweaks and the map update to close the gap!!)

Anyway, thanks for this resource---Please keep this going so we can get a legitimate shot at the update for the maps once someone has luck!! I got mine last week--- and I am going to keep checking back thought the next couple of weeks to ensure I don’t miss a big piece of info!?!
    Thanks guys, cheers
    d/

p.s. did any of yours ship or come out of box with the motonav in plastic or a protective film on the screen?
    Mine didn’t as far as I can tell and I almost thought the device had been used?? Anyone got any info on that?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    welcome! glad to have you.

let's hope and trust you're correct that they will be making improvements.

no screen protector on either of the those that i received. i too thought that they were rebundled but now i don't think so.

Victoria gave me a website that we can go to, so we can request/offer corrections.

http://developer.motorola.com

in the upper right side, click on join or log-in. then go to "contact us" and give them what you want.

My Camel
  • do you know the supplier of the SOFTWARE?

The name of the company is NNG Global and the software is called iGo. There are a few different versions of iGo and each company that licenses the software puts their own "skin" on the software and sometimes a unique feature or two.

But that is precisely why some of us are not terribly excited about the product. There have been dozens of companies who have outsourced hardware, loaded iGo software on, slapped their own company logo on the GPS, and called it good. They've never had much influence to add new features, aggressively fix bugs, etc.

There have been dozens of companies that have tried this approach, but virtually all have failed to get much traction in the GPS market. The Motorola device isn't really a bad GPS-- but it will face the same hurdles dozens of other companies have gone through.

Harman Kardon basically did the same thing... Big company with brand recognition, purchased some hardware, licensed iGo, didn't sell enough units, never fixed any bugs, and now users are left high and dry without map updates, without warranty repairs, and a paperweight on their desk.

I don't have anything against Motorola, nor the iGo software... but when dozens (even big names) have tried this approach in the past and failed I have to ask What Motorola will do different that will result in a different outcome... So far I don't see what that will be.

Thanks Tim for all this info. It really helped me make my decision on keeping it or sending it back. Nice try Motorola. I'm not willing to risk 300.00 dollars at this point in time. The Garmin 1690 may not be as pretty as the Moto but it works just as well if not better and I know I'll have updates and excellent customer support. See you in the Garmin thread...

That's too bad to see you go timothyjok. It was fun while it lasted! I wish you luck with your new GPS. Definitely keep up with this thread if you can

Like papa in the Cydle thread, I hope I'm not the only one left with a Motonav once the dust settles! I am definitely sticking with mine and will give Motorola a chance. If it doesn't work out I will ride whichever latest maps they have out until I start running into problems which could be a couple years or even much more. I ran on 3 year old maps when I had my Street Pilot back in the day, so I know it's possible. Companies simply push quarterly maps to make money IMO.

Who else is with me? :lol:
    Definitely be lurking around as I'm a wicked gadget junkie. I liked the moto a lot it just has to many things that are a big question mark right now and I"m not willing to be a beta tester for Motorola on my dime. If they gave me one and said use it I would.
    The insight that Tim shared was really enlightening for me. I really think Moto is just throwing this out there for research purpose's. It looks like the future of GPS navigation is going to become part of these new Smartphones (iphone and others like it) where you just mount the phone in your car sideways and there's your GPS. Everything is going to be one unit.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    tim's info was very useful.

i'm staying on. i want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

timothyjok makes an excellent point. it IS possible they're testing the wateres. the problem however is that this is a very expensive test. they could have done 1000 panel tests for what they've invested. as i mentioned a number of posts ago, they're not stupid. it could well be that one of the VP's gave a speech to his/her master boss and sold them on the idea. who knows. maybe there got a great deal from the Hungarians.

Victoria said she went to her management and they told her they weren't ready to pass along the map updates. i got my return call from "AL" (the one i spoke with yesterday) and he did not have an answer but said he was still investigating.

the center hand doesn't know what the right or left are doing.

all that being said, it's still one hell of a product. i'm not a garmin, tom tom or magellan fan. i'm not a "motormola" fan either. i just think they do good work. i'm going to give them a few months. afterall, it's only been on the market for a month.

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    anyone know how to put a "Pause" in the voicemail set up???? xxx xxx xxxx "pause" input password xxxx

My Camel
  • My Camel, I agree. I don't know if this is a test since I heard they spent more than a year developing this product. They also have a fully integrated car kit coming out in May as well. I don't think they would go through all of this just to test it out. But who knows.

I am also giving them the benefit of the doubt. Like you said this product hasn't even been out a full month yet, I'm sure they will do something with it. While I'm not made out of money, I can afford a $300 investment if it doesn't ultimately pan out. Worst case scenario is that this device should perform well for at least a year or more with the latest map update that they will have soon.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yep. agree.

the connector on the back must be for the car kit.

i have tried to get them to sell me a cradle assembly wtih cord, but they said they don't have them available at this time. from the looks of it, it's expensive. but it would be nice to "pop" the PND out of the cradle and "plug it in" in another vehicle
  • cperk 0 Points
    If the reply is that the maps aren't ready to be released yet, then why can I buy the 2009 Q4 maps through the Toolbox. It doesn't make sense.

I too am going to hang in there as the unit does offer a lot. I still have about 20 days to return it if needed, so hopefully we will get some answers.

I posted earlier about the volume of the BT on calls. No one else having issues with this? I can hardly hear mine and I'm wondering if I got a bum unit.

You're right about one hand not knowing what the other is doing. The guy I've been dealing with, I think he said his name is Rameen, has been very helpful and confirmed that the 2009 Q4 maps are out.

He's called me every day and seems like he is sincerely trying to resolve my issue. He was going to see if the maps could be sent by disk and then loaded onto the unit through toolbox.

I'll keep everyone updated.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i think you can buy them for 79.99. you need to press the maps and more key in the toolbox.

or you can go on line. i think it then "sends" your order to your serial number BUT I'M NOT SURE OF THAT!!!

i have walked through the purchase up to the point of having to input a CC number. i stopped there. so i know it can be done from the toolbox.

it may not be stipulated but you must be plugged in to the toolbox (via USB) to do anything with the tool box.

hope that helps some.

i have not had any issues with the sound level of the bluetooth because i haven't spent any time trying to make it work. i have tried voice calling though, and it was crappy at best. too much road noise i suspect. i think it needs a remote microphone and it will probably be attachable thorugh that extra connector in the back (have fun finding the mating connector and having htem tell you which pins do what :idea:
  • yep. agree.

the connector on the back must be for the car kit.

i have tried to get them to sell me a cradle assembly wtih cord, but they said they don't have them available at this time. from the looks of it, it's expensive. but it would be nice to "pop" the PND out of the cradle and "plug it in" in another vehicle
    The connector on the back is indeed for the car kit.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    If you try now the only map for North America that past few days is Mexico, there is no map offered for the U.S. even to buy.
  • On the MotoExtras website you can buy the Q4 2009 map pack for US, Canada and Mexico for $79.99:

https://motonav.naviextras.com/shop/portal/catalog?salesPackageCode=52100&view=item&priceListCode=4538602869894692&page=1&type=100&area=7
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Strange because if you go through the toolbox or here http://motonav.early.demo.naviextras.com/shop/portal/catalog it only offers Mexico.
  • Yeah but that site you posted isn't what the official TN765t page directs you to when you click on the MotoExtras link. We aren't supposed to be on that site technically as consumers.

I'm actually confused as to what they are doing with the MotoExtras site. Are they updating it or what? I can't see why it's taking so long.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Talk about confusing, I can get to either of the sites we posted from here. http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/MOTONAV/MOTONAV-TN765t-US-EN
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Welcome to Motonav 2010.

Geez....you all are busy while I'm at work!

I did hear back from Victoria this morning. She also told me to keep checking the website every week. Other then that she didn't know anything. I still plan to hold out for a 2010 map.

I have NO plans to try any other device and will keep my Motonav.
    As it is now, the Motonav is ten times better then my Garmin 765t.
    The items I like better are;
    The large size and colors of the screen.
    The map graphics.
    The choice of routes it offers. Fastest, Shortest and Most Highways.
    The traffic info is much more informative.
    It actually responds when I touch the screen.

Yes, there is much I would like to see changed or added; but even if nothing is done, the Motonav is more then I had hoped for. (Motorola...you can send the check to.....)
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yes. that's simply a test site for them from what it lookslike
  • mahammel 41 Points
    when i mentioned the gpsreview website, Victoria mentioned "the Dr. in Tx".

you're her prefered client :shock:

but what the hey. we'll all work it out.

WRT maps: i wonder if they're waiting to supply the 1st q 2010 to all those that are buying now. betcha. 8)

i agree with your likes. since it's for my wife, i wanted her to be able to see it better and the graphics are outstanding for this size a product. Garmin's 5" is the same res as their 4.3" if i recall.

wife says she can see this without glasses. that sold me!
  • Welcome to Motonav 2010.

Geez....you all are busy while I'm at work!

I did hear back from Victoria this morning. She also told me to keep checking the website every week. Other then that she didn't know anything. I still plan to hold out for a 2010 map.

I have NO plans to try any other device and will keep my Motonav.
    As it is now, the Motonav is ten times better then my Garmin 765t.
    The items I like better are;
    The large size and colors of the screen.
    The map graphics.
    The choice of routes it offers. Fastest, Shortest and Most Highways.
    The traffic info is much more informative.
    It actually responds when I touch the screen.

Yes, there is much I would like to see changed or added; but even if nothing is done, the Motonav is more then I had hoped for. (Motorola...you can send the check to.....)
    I am also 100% not returning my unit. It is just so much better than anything that I can get at this time. I'm with you, if they end up not making any revisions to this device, I will still be a very happy camper. As long as I get a map update, I will be good for a while.
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Anyone notice we're creepiing up on the Cydel posts page count?

I would love to have a confrence call with us here on the fourn and a Motonav Project manager.

I will call Victoria tomorrow and see who I need to contact. I am really good at getting ahold of the right person. If I can make this happen, who else is interested?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    you can count me in. i'm out weds AM and Thur AM but should be around any other time. BC me @ mahammel@mindspring.com for ph#
  • mahammel 41 Points
    the website (https://motonav.naviextras.com/shop/portal) now shows Q3 available. they've pulled the Q4. just a few people jumping the gun and thanks to our input, they appear to be correcting midstream!

My Camel
  • My Camel,

On the upper right hand corner of the MotoExtras screen it has always said Q3 2009 maps. If you click on Maps & More, North America and then Maps and look in there, it still says Q4 2009. It has always been that way.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    stop being a wizeguy! :oops:

after i sent it, i saw that the info also shows q4 elsewhere. as to the specific locations, i can't keep track :?

you're right. thanks :D

My Camel
  • Haha no problem! lol
  • egale 0 Points
    I wish Motorola would get things straightened out!! Magellan released the 1470 a year ago. There have been no map updates since and the unit still needs one more firmware update to really make it practical! I don't want to jump on the bandwagon only to find there are no map updates till after my 60 days are up or no map updates at all!
  • mahammel 41 Points
    I wouldn't worry. I have to believe (they ARE MOTOROLA) they will cover you.

i woud suggest however you call their 2nd level phone number which is listed in the forum on page 7, and tell them to put it on your record. they have a database of customers that they make notes in.

don't give up! :o

My Camel
  • thanks mate!

going to take a look and maybe call them today from the office..

keep you posted on results..

d
  • can anyone post the actual specific numbers and their relevancy to support issues for the motonav?

i cant seem to find them..

thx,

d
  • mahammel 41 Points
    also, i now have gotted the 2nd level tech support nummber

(you guys and gals owe me big time!)

Level 2 Tech Support
    866 438 3060

this should be the only # you need for the present time
  • As for the conference call, Motorola's hours interfere with my work hours so I will let you guys represent for me. I know you guys will do well!
  • mahammel 41 Points
    well. you gave up the ghost easily enough :twisted:

nothing heard from
    Al
    Victoria
    Nancy
    David
    anyone else that shoulda coulda woulda called.

oh well back to the ol' drawing broad (oops--board)

i think they're probably getting their "act" together to transmit a uniform message!

My Camel
  • cperk 0 Points
    I just tried to log onto Motoextras, and got a message saying Device Not Recognized, and then login failed.

I went to naviextras site and the page wouldn't load, then tried motoextras and the same thing, no page loaded.

Do you think they may be fixing the problem? or did they both pull the plug on us?

let's hope its the fixin part.

Anyone else able to log on? It's 8:25 PM here in CT
  • cperk 0 Points
    My Camel,
    My guy from Moto didn't call me today either, which is strange, he did say he would be in touch today.
  • It says they are redesigning the website and it will be back soon. Hopefully it's with some good updates for us!!
  • cperk 0 Points
    Just tried naviextras again and the site says "Naviextras will be back soon" it's not available, they're redesigning the site.

Maybe there is hope guys!
  • TxBs 0 Points
    Hi all.

I just got home from a trip from Houston to Austin and back; 300 miles.

The Motonav did not show any speed limit info for a good 90 percent of the trip. Which is odd as most of the drive is on the Highway 249 a country highway that runs beteeen the two cities. (Country highway means although it has a speed limit of 70 mph, there are roads, stoplights, and driveways that cross and intersect the highway.)

If I have time tomorrow I will reach out to Motorola agin and see what trouble I can cause. :)

I did like driving with the POI pop-out screen open, where the names, distance and directons of the closest POI are expanded.

Night for now!!!
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yep. the site's definitely down. that's good! means they're working on it and that is good too!

i'd bet a peso to a pasta that we are being heard.

the little guy (gal) CAN make a difference if he (she) raises his (her) voice with pleasantries.

les' see vas happens manana amigos.

get some sleep doc. we'll fill you in later.

i'm out until about noon.

C Ya :arrow: :lol: :) :D :P