This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Motorola Motonav TN7xx & TN5xx Owner's Thread

Comments

• The site is back up but I don't see any difference. I hope they are still fixing things!
  • cperk 0 Points
    I got up this morning, hooked my Mototnav up, signed into motoextras figuring I would finally get my new maps!

No luck, nothing has changed.

Maybe this was just a cruel April fools joke!!... but I'm not laughing.

Let's see if the motonan calls me today. The saga continues.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Keep in mind that Naviextras is not a motorola operated site.
  • It looks like the 3D pack of Western Europe has been added to the site for $9.99. I don't think that has been there before, has it?
  • patruns 10 Points
    It looks like the 3D pack of Western Europe has been added to the site for $9.99. I don't think that has been there before, has it?
    I don't know if was listed before for the Motorola, but it has been available for other units for quite a while. Price might be new though.
  • hey guys, glad to see we are all still diligently trying to problem-solve this one!

OK, so i loaded the naviextras toolbox app to an xp workstation--and connected the motonav via usb. powered up---

BUT, cant seem to connect within the application? says not connected.

do i need to have a mini SD in the slot for this?

the pc sees the device and seems to be OS files that are browseable like a it's a flashdrive in windows.

and yes, the motonav has the black USB connected screen up...

any advice?
  • Have you been able to connect with this same PC in the past? If so, they might be updating the Toolbox. Or at least I hope that would be the reason. You can always try to reinstall the Toolbox software and see if that helps.

I will try to connect my device when I get home from work and see what happens. Keep us updated!
  • patruns 10 Points
    You do not need to reload the toolbox. The issue may be updating the support. When you log in it recognizes the unit you originally registered. I have found naviextras to be very user friendly. I would simply wait.
  • I connected my Motonav to the Toolbox and everything went as normal. The device connected and I signed in successfully.
  • By the way, I'm starting to hear crickets around here! Any updates to report? )
  • mahammel 41 Points
    it's call tinnitus :!:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    try going to the settings on the toolbox, while on the workstation. i've loaded tool box on 2 computers and they both recognize the PND.

no. not true. i've loaded 2 PND's on 1 computer and it knows the difference between the two. sorry!

i'll have to try your situation.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    worked poifectly. it did ask me if i wanted to reboot-which i did NOT do immediately and it still found it. Now i'm rebooting but that's after the fact.

could be permissions on your workstation.

sorry i can't help more.

try kicking it (read: either one) :lol:
  • thanks guys going to try again this weekend, will let you know how i do..
  • hey guys, i gave it another shot here in the office. no luck.
    went through all of the possible pc based potential issue checklist etc..

then called level 2 Motorola support to see what they had to say.

they told me I NEED to have a mini SD in the slot to connect to the toolbox.

not sure if i mentioned that i did not have one before??
    -srry for ignorance on that.

off to best-buy for me i guess! what size do you recommend? any recommended vendors for this MINI SD before i go grab one down the street? thx.

keep ya posted, thanks for the dialog on it---good to have this crew in here!

let's keep it going past the good weather weekend here in the northeast USA or wherever you are!

cheers

d.

p.s. might be going to Montreal Canada soon, so will be interesting to see how the motonav performs over the northern border..
    if i have that map?? do i ?

anyway...
    anybody take it to Mexico yet with that map add-on?
  • No, no, no. You don't need a micro SD card to connect to the Toolbox. I don't have one in mine and I have been connecting since day one and I even tried last night with no problems since you posted your problem.

You must been having a computer issue or the Toolbox isn't recognizing your Motonav for some reason.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yes and if you recall you had it connected at home. so that throws that issue out.

it must be on your computer side as the wize fellow said.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    you know what, i'm wandering around naviextras' website.

i would be 79.99 that THEY are the maps issue-not Motormola.

motormola doesn't know what to do with what these hungarians are doing, and i'd also wager that the hungry ones don't know what to do and how to sell the Navteq mapping system.

it's the hungry ones where the map (read: buck) stops.
  • magellat 0 Points
    p.s. might be going to Montreal Canada soon, so will be interesting to see how the motonav performs over the northern border..
    if i have that map?? do i ?
    Yes,you have Canada map on your device:the only feature not working in Canada,as all others GPS sold up here,is the speed limit icon...it never shows..we are working on it...they have been telling us for years...
    magellat
    Montreal
    :evil:
  • TxBs 0 Points
    I was also having problems in getting my 765t to connect to my laptop.

I took me two reloads of the toolbox to get my 765t to be recognized. As I am running Windows 7, I was expecting trouble, but everything is working fine and the OS updates loaded easily.

Now if I only had maps to upload.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    did you talk further with victor victoria?

no one has called/contacted me in 2 days.

me thinks they tire of us and our antics.
  • Greetings from Amazon.com.

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of $306.72 for your Order ***-*******-*******.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Motorola Motonav TN765T 5.1-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic
    Quantity: 1
    ASIN: *********
    Reason for refund: Customer return
    I bought a Garmin 1390T. It is my fifth Garmin since December 09. This is by far the the best performing so far. I only wish it had multiple routing.
  • How's the sound quality on that 1390T? I remember Garmin changed the speaker from 6 series to 7 and on. The difference was so significant, it made me stay with 660 and eventually come back to Navigon. Just a very poor, low quality sound.
  • Hi all!

Great thread here. Really appreciate all the info. Between this and the Amazon reviews I took the plunge last week and ordered a 765t. Just spent the last week with it driving from northern Virginia to Southwest Florida. The navi was rock solid the whole time. Even my dad, who is hard to impress with electronics said over and over how this was the best GPS system he's ever seen. I have to agree. I've owned 5 nuvi's and this is head and shoulders above.

I've been trying to register with Mototools and was unable to until this morning. Once I did that I hooked up the unit and was able to download a firmware update, and a Q3 map update. I'm using Win7 and so far everything has been going very smoothly.

I've not yet played with the unit since the update, so I don't know what changes were made.

Really hoping for the following fixes:

- Better connection with a Blackberry Tour 9630. I'm having occasional BT connection issues, especially when trying to use Google Search. I did see the updated mentioned BT, so hopefully this has been addressed.

- Ability to zoom out much farther on the map while navigating. The limit seems to be roughly 1.8 miles.

- More TTS voices. I will say the default one is pretty great. She sounds much more natural than the Garmin voices I was using.

Overall I'm super pleased with this unit. I've only had one scary issue so far, and that was the power switch not turning on the unit. It took me a minute or so to get it to work one time. Since than it's been flawless.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm really hoping this catches on.
  • Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the thread! Glad to hear you are enjoying this GPS. I am too!

How did you download Q3 maps? I just connected to the MotoExtras Toolbox and there was no update available. You had me excited for a second!

Are you sure it was Q3 maps or was it that 474mb software update instead?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    Jeff! Congrats! good choice, that's for sure (IMHO)

are you SURE you got Q3? that's great news if so.

there were 2 update for me a week ago. Maps was not one of them.

that's the issue we've all been talking with "M" about.

if you go to "transfer my contents", there are columns the left is for the device and the right is where you want to transfer the info in the device.

does it show your maps as Q3 or Q1?

i'm not sure WHAT the transfer purpose is, unless it's to mount the maps on a Micro SD. maybe someone else knows the SPECIFICS.

so.............

do you actually have Q3? (you can also look on your device under settings and contents (or something like that-my wife has it right now so i can't look :twisted:

let us know! we're dying out here!

My Camel
  • Argh!!

SO sorry guys! It was a software update. I could have sworn I saw Q3 listed someplace. I picked up 2 updates this morning.

Verified I'm still running the Q1's. I do see the Q4's available for $79.99.

Sorry I got you guys all excited. =)
  • How's the sound quality on that 1390T? I remember Garmin changed the speaker from 6 series to 7 and on. The difference was so significant, it made me stay with 660 and eventually come back to Navigon. Just a very poor, low quality sound.
    Sound quality is fine. Loud and clear
  • mahammel 41 Points
    sigh! :cry:

q4 "IMPLIES" North America in totality. but if you look in ( ) you'll see Mexico. it may indeed be all of NA but...................

we'll give them a couple of weeks to see how they handle this.

we have been told by the CS reps that it will take a couple of weeks.

sigh! :cry:

My Camel
  • mahammel 41 Points
    oh. RE: Zoom:

i think i fyou take it off auto (or maybe it was 3D) , it will zoom any amount.

My Camel
  • TxBs 0 Points
    I really like the way the Cydle reps are an active part of the Cydle forum.

(Hint, Hint Motorola.)
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i hate to plead ignoramaisia, but (and i can look it up but....old men are lazy that way) how does it perform; will it be around in awhile, what's to like/dislike about a Clydle (what a name!)

My Camel
  • My Camel,

No disrespect, but I suggest you read through the Cydle thread for all of that information. It's better to keep discussion within their own threads.

But just as a quick tidbit, I owned a Cydle before this and it doesn't hold a candle to the Motonav. That's just my opinion only.
  • hey guys thanks for responding to the toolbox connectivity issues--good to know i actually DONT need an mini SD in the slot to have a successful connection to the naviextras application!

why did the Motorola support level 2 girl throw that out there?

yeah, i dunno? *scratches head*

anyway, i am going to try to install the toolbox on another xp and maybe a vista box to see what kind of results i get on either... otherwise i need to get proactive about what the plan B is if i still can't get a connection on more than one PC to enable the important and essential map upgrade..

is there a mac version of naviextras?

i still think we are in the infancy stages of this one...
    hope the MOTO peeps get on it soon with the upgrade for us.

d.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    none taken. it's just difficult to muddle through biases and bs.
  • ubercool 0 Points
    Wow, I was tipped off to this GPS by Engadget today. So glad to hear that there's finally a viable alternative to the Navigon 7200T! :mrgreen:

Look forward to reading all your feedback here. :wink:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    glad to have you climb in! the waters great!

i see you're in the ATL area. we're in Roswell

My Camel
  • ubercool 0 Points
    Oh yea? We're GPS neighbors! :mrgreen:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    if we were kids we could exchange lat/lon :P :lol: :D

My Camel
  • cperk 0 Points
    hey guys, anybody have luck with Moto getting back to them on the maps?

I found another neat thing this GPS does today. I was driving on I-95 in NY today and went through a tunnel and the map screen changed to night view, and the graphics depicted going through the tunnel, it's pretty cool.

I haven't had much luck with the traffic, but today in New York it worked great and saved me a lot of time.

This really is one great GPS and have since put my Garmin 855 into retirement. Time to put it on ebay.

I think I'm going to sell my wife's 1490 as she really likes this motonav.

Her phone has the bluetooth text message feature and we tried it out the other day. Really neat, I sent a text to her phone and it read it back to her and she voice selected a reply that was sent back to me. Now that's a great feature, wish my iphone had that.
  • Set her up as a trusted contact, then have her text 'Motonav" to your cell. Try it vice versa if that doesn't work.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    just talked with Victoria. she says Q3 are now avaialble (but doesn't say how to get them).

she recommends we wait until 3rd week in April when Q4 will be avaialble to use for free (makes sense not to talk q3 now when we can get q4 in a couple of weeks).
  • tried to connect motonav to toolbox again with a new install on a new xp machine today, still no luck!

i did notice that this one is xp service pack 2 and the other was xp service pack 3

but still not working on either one regardless ..

so is it true that i dont need a mini sd in the slot to connect with the motonav to naviextras toolbox?

i am stuck from here.. any additional tips would be helpful..

d.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i've 'played' with 2 PND's and have put a Micro SD in one, took it out and it didn't care. the other i never inserted one so i suppose the answer is it does not need it.

i would call and ask for Victoria if she's not available, ask to have her call you back. if she can find the answer, she will.

866 438 3060
  • I still haven't called Moto yet, but my 60 days will end at the end of April. When I call them I am just going to demand a free map update as they advertise on their website and in the manual. I just don't see how they legally can deny us a map update when there is obviously newer maps available on their site to purchase.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    just going to demand a free map update as they advertise on their website and in the manual. I just don't see how they legally can deny us a map update when there is obviously newer maps available on their site to purchase.
    Now it's my turn to say "no disrespect":

I don't see where you're coming from.
    1. call and they will register you if you have not already registered.
    2. no one, anywhere, has said they would NOT give you an update.
    3. they have said (see earlier documentation) they should have 4th Q in the 3rd week of April-before your "time" is up.
    4. they said they have 3rd Q available now, so therefore:
    5.see #1 and you should be able to get your free update.

if all this is about free, then it doesn't seem the GPS is as important after all.

Just my observations.

My Camel
  • just going to demand a free map update as they advertise on their website and in the manual. I just don't see how they legally can deny us a map update when there is obviously newer maps available on their site to purchase.

Now it's my turn to say "no disrespect":

I don't see where you're coming from.
    1. call and they will register you if you have not already registered.
    2. no one, anywhere, has said they would NOT give you an update.
    3. they have said (see earlier documentation) they should have 4th Q in the 3rd week of April-before your "time" is up.
    4. they said they have 3rd Q available now, so therefore:
    5.see #1 and you should be able to get your free update.

if all this is about free, then it doesn't seem the GPS is as important after all.

Just my observations.

My Camel
    Hi My Camel,

I'm sorry, I was frustrated. It's not all about free, I love this GPS. It's just that aren't we supposed to be able to get the free map update by connecting to the Toolbox and the free map update should show up? That's what Moto's documentation says. That isn't happening.

I am already registered on the MotoExtras website. They haven't said that they won't give us a free update, but when do we get it by connecting to the Toolbox? A week from now, or two months from now when my 60 days have passed? That's the frustrating part.

I will definitely wait for Q4 if it comes out before the end of April like they say.

But in the end, I am a proud supporter of the Motonav and have had a blast with it. This is nothing to knock it, I am just getting frustrated with the update process and the confusion from Moto support.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    On May 30th I went ahead and got the 2009.Q4 maps that was offered through the toolbox and website. I figured I would be charged the $79.99 but thought maybe since it says a few places it should be free that they would refund my money. I emailed once and was told to call, so I had called yesterday and was told I should get my money back but the nice lady I talked to was having a problem getting through to the right people because she could not do refunds. So she said it would be escalated and I would get a call or email in a day or 2 about it. Nothing today so far maybe tomorrow. According to the lady there is no reason I should get my $80 back. My unit does say 2009.Q4 maps are installed so not sure if I could get it why it is not offered free on toolbox?
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Here is what my gps says;

• On May 30th I went ahead and got the 2009.Q4 maps that was offered through the toolbox and website. I figured I would be charged the $79.99 but thought maybe since it says a few places it should be free that they would refund my money. I emailed once and was told to call, so I had called yesterday and was told I should get my money back but the nice lady I talked to was having a problem getting through to the right people because she could not do refunds. So she said it would be escalated and I would get a call or email in a day or 2 about it. Nothing today so far maybe tomorrow. According to the lady there is no reason I should get my $80 back. My unit does say 2009.Q4 maps are installed so not sure if I could get it why it is not offered free on toolbox?
    That's my exact frustration. I knew Q4 2009 maps are available, but they aren't offering them to us for free which they should be doing. I might do what you did and just go from there.