This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

update 2.21 ?

superdave592 91 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Waiting on 2.21 anytime soon ?

Comments

• The $64,000,000 question. I believe that PND4ME is a retailer who has been granted field testing rights. He stated a while ago that he recieved the beta for this, a fix was coming, and was trying to test it. It has been almost or at a month ago and no replies about how it is going has been given.
    When I was in the computer industry, many moons ago, and worked as a system analyst at Merrill, if a progam bombed or had issues there was a storm of programmers working around the clock to get the issue fixed. While this may not be the same, my feelings are that this goes to credibility/performance of the Magellan product. Any new customers that do the research before purchase, I think, would be scared off by this unless there are other features that the Magellan units offer that someone wants and they really don't care about the vehicle position/road location being off. I like the other features but this (position error) bugs me a lot. I mostly drive on local roads where I think it is more evident. Just my 2 cents.
  • Exactly!! Where is this much awaited 2.2.1?? It had better have some darn good updates for all the time they are taking to release it! I hope it's sooner than later!
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    I like the features that Magellan offers. I like the 1 touch, the AAA information, the fact that it does not try to avoid having your destination on the left. When you have arrived, it tells you where you actually are. I hope they fix the positioning thing. But it is not a deal breaker. The messed up directions to my house are another matter.
  • I like the features that Magellan offers. I like the 1 touch, the AAA information, the fact that it does not try to avoid having your destination on the left. When you have arrived, it tells you where you actually are. I hope they fix the positioning thing. But it is not a deal breaker. The messed up directions to my house are another matter.
    I agree on the features but the other day I had a meeting with a doctor and used the unit to get to his office. Parked right at the front door and went in. After the meeting I came out and the unit was showing that I had not yet reached the destination. I had to drive another 3-400 feet down the road and then the unit said you have arrived. It was either that or I had to clear out my request/trip. That's not right. The unit should not be off that much.
  • telemike 5 Points
    POI erros are a combination of NAVTEQ and street number interpolation.

When I have a favorite place now I do this when i arrive. I use the "current Location" command and save the positionto my address book and give it the name of the place I am at. The Save Current Location saves the latitue/Longitude of that SPOT and not the interpolated street numbers. Next time you get there the GPS will get you there within the GPS sat error which will be very close to perfect.

My 1440 now says I have arrived HOME right in front of my drive instead of 100 feet past it due to street number interpolation.
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    Addresses are tricky. They can't possibly mark every address in the US and Canada, etc. Plus addresses can be changed. A house on my street was torn down. It was a corner lot. They changed the address from the cross street to my street. Actually, I am surprised when it says "You have arrived" at exactly the right place. It usually is pretty close. That is why I am glad that Magellan announces where you are supposed to be.
  • PND4ME can you comment ? I sent an e-mail to Magellan that tech knew nothing
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    PND4ME can you comment ? I sent an e-mail to Magellan that tech knew nothing
    They will release when they fix the bugs everyone is so concern about. If we test and find bugs, do you guys wish them to release it with the bugs or have it fix? Hurry up and wait I guess right? Damn if they do and damn if they don't, now you wonder why there is so much complaints about stuff not being done right before releasing lol....
  • We can wait lets make these units work correctly I have 9 Magellan units that I keep updated for friends and family never had a problem with them.
    Thanks
  • nh43211 0 Points
    Waiting on 2.21 anytime soon ?
    I recently contacted magellan about the inaccuracy and voice issue with the 1475T and received the following reply.

nh43211

"Thank you for writing us back. I apologize for the inconvenience that you are having with the Roadmate 1475T. As I understand, you (are) having some issues with the device. Your unit is several hundred feet off, you also have some issues with the spoken street names on the unit.

Don't worry we will be more than happy to help you with your concern. We do thank you for updating us with this matter.

In line with this, indeed the information which you have provided us only shows that your device is current. There is no need to update the unit as of the moment. For now, our technicians and our engineers are continously performing some test needed to help alleviate the issues which is known for the unit. Please continue to visit the website on a regular basis, as these information are commonly posted on the website.

We hope that we were able to somehow address your concern and should you require further assistance about this or any other concerns with your Magellan unit please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (www.magellangps.com).

Yours truly,
    Mark – AM20061
    Magellan Technical Support
    Email: support@MagellanGPS.COM
    URL : www.magellangps.com

Magellan Customer Advocacy
    Support: 800-707-9971

This correspondence is considered confidential and any reproduction for the purpose of public disclosure is forbidden without written permission by the author signed above. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender and delete any copies."
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    I guess it just shows that they are supposedly working on it. Perhaps version 2.21 or later.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    I guess it just shows that they are supposedly working on it. Perhaps version 2.21 or later.
    My guess is V 2.21 is not fixing the issue either, maybe the one after that, or the one after that one...... :lol:
  • elvisfan 0 Points
    Only having the slightest idea as to how these things work. My guess would be that, since like 8 satellites are used. The GPS knows exactly where you are. It is not syncing up with the maps on the unit. Perhaps a map update would fix it.
  • jeffp 0 Points
    My 1700 uses between eight and eleven satellites any time I check and if it wouldn't lag, is very accurate in its position. My Navigon 5100 Max uses around eight satellites most of the time yet is right on the button in position, and lacks the lag of the Magellan. Still, you have to love the beautiful seven inch screen which is much easier to see while driving. The POI's stand out very well and road names are easily seen. It does a great job setting up a decent route. I believe the lag will be fixed soon. I am also concerned though, that the maps get an update. This is one area that Magellan should address. Even my Navigon which is older than the 1700, has Q3 2009 maps.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    My 1700 uses between eight and eleven satellites any time I check and if it wouldn't lag, is very accurate in its position. My Navigon 5100 Max uses around eight satellites most of the time yet is right on the button in position, and lacks the lag of the Magellan. Still, you have to love the beautiful seven inch screen which is much easier to see while driving. The POI's stand out very well and road names are easily seen. It does a great job setting up a decent route. I believe the lag will be fixed soon. I am also concerned though, that the maps get an update. This is one area that Magellan should address. Even my Navigon which is older than the 1700, has Q3 2009 maps.
    Map matching is only part of the issue, it does not have the delay all of the time.
    There will be map updates available soon, hang on, within 60 days or so.