This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Dual GPS Cradle for iPod touch finally available

jasenj1 0 Points
Dual has had this GPS Cradle (http://gpscradle.dualav.com/cradle.html) under development for quite a while. It's finally available for sale in the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1062).

It is a GPS & battery for the iPod touch. The battery can power the touch or the GPS so it can operate completely unconnected - unlike TomTom & Magellan's attachments.

The one downside is that it costs $200 and "comes with" its own navigation software. So if you just want the GPS and not the software then it is expensive, but as a whole package - GPS, battery & nav software - it is competitively priced.

I hope to see a review of it here very soon. And I hope it's a good performer.

- Jasen.

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    That's very clever, but for $200 I would pass personally. I have an iPod touch, and also an iPhone 3g. I only paid $200 for the iPhone. The TomTom cradle includes a gps (but no battery) and costs $100 I think.

For $200 you can come pretty close to buying a "real" GPS like a Garmin 60csx or Oregon 300 and it will be a lot more rugged and practical for outdoor use.

But of course, it's also nice to have this Dual product available as an option for those who need it.
  • jasenj1 0 Points
    That's very clever, but for $200 I would pass personally. I have an iPod touch, and also an iPhone 3g. I only paid $200 for the iPhone.
    With or without a contract? If with a contract, you are really paying over $2000 for the iPhone & cell service. Which is not terrible, but you are paying for a lot more than just the iPhone.

The TomTom cradle includes a gps (but no battery) and costs $100 I think.
    Right. The TomTom and Magellen tie you to a power source, e.g. car.

For $200 you can come pretty close to buying a "real" GPS like a Garmin 60csx or Oregon 300 and it will be a lot more rugged and practical for outdoor use.
    But you can't play music & videos & games & all the other apps on a "real" GPS. So yes, you probably trade ruggedness for flexibility.

- Jasen.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    With or without a contract? If with a contract, you are really paying over $2000 for the iPhone & cell service.
    Well yes, that's pretty obvious. Most people have cellphones and pay for service. I decided to make mine an iPhone.

I'm sure this new product fills a niche, so if meets your needs and you feel the price is reasonable, then you should definitely go for it. Did you buy one? If so, let us know your impressions after you've used it for awhile.