This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

couple of questions and findings on MotoNav

mahammel 41 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
possibly little known fact:

Hi-I just got my Moto yesterday. i have spent about 5-10 manhours working with it so i can familiarize myself with it. there appears to be a lot more than "meets the eye".

i didn't see this in the topic so here goes:

found that you can "organize" your favorites by editing, press and hold for 1 sec and slide it up or down. you can scroll by NOT holding-or you can hold and move it. although i think i would prefer just a sort-by-name, if there are places you go that you forget how to get there :), then this works. it's a little time consuming but what else do you have to do with your time?

additionally, i have a question:

what is the little red indicator with the pulsing 'rays' when you press and hold from the enter destination screen? i suspect it just wants to give the information for that point-you can move it anywhere you wish but i am not certain---then you have to ask yourself "WHY"? does it pulse? just to let you know? or is it some mysterious object that the engineers were having fun with?

thanks!

My Camel (Mike Hammel)

Comments

• caryrae 92 Points
    additionally, i have a question:

what is the little red indicator with the pulsing 'rays' when you press and hold from the enter destination screen? i suspect it just wants to give the information for that point-you can move it anywhere you wish but i am not certain---then you have to ask yourself "WHY"? does it pulse? just to let you know? or is it some mysterious object that the engineers were having fun with?

thanks!

My Camel (Mike Hammel)
    When you do this (press and hold finger a couple seconds on map) you can click info it gives you the address or you can click the flag and route to that spot. The part where you can move it around looks like if you get it on a road it tells you the name of it.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    thanks Caryrae. i wasn't sure. thanks for confirming it.

still--interesting design of it.

i'm certain they have a purposeful reason for designing it as they did (red, pulsing,). how 'bout them engineers--ain't they somethin'? :roll:

got any ideas as to whether or not the device is charging when in the cradle and it turns itself off? it doesn't 'appear' to but then why shouldn't it?

My Camel
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I suppose they made it red and pulsing just to make it easier to find on the map especially if there is a lot of poi icons on the mapp too.

The only way I know to know if it is charging is by the orange light by the power switch.

Would be nice to know for sure if when you power off if it is just in standby or actually powered off.
  • mahammel 41 Points
    i suspect you're right.

when it's plugged in to the computer and downloading, it has the line fading in and out. i'm not too sure, but it probably wouldn't be difficult to do the same thing when charging.

and i haven't actually looked :oops: to see if the light is on in the car with the engine off. AHHHHHHHHHHH. my accessory switch turns off with the ignition. i need to use another outlet!!!!!!!!!!!.

thanks caryrae! geeez. it's tough getting old. there's a point where things just don't absorb
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Mahammel - Welcome to the forums.

When you were talking about flashing/pulsing rays and mysterious movement on the gps and I saw you were from Roswell I got a little worried, but I see you are in Georgia, not New Mexico! Whew..!!! :wink: :roll:
  • mahammel 41 Points
    yes. i get confused myself. it's the pointed ears that gives me away most of the time. if i wait a couple of months for a haircut i can pull it off. otherwise i jsut have to bear and grin it. :shock:

thanks for the welcome. i hope i can contribute as much as i take away! i also hope this product takes off, so we'll get support. Motorola puts their bucks where the payback is. i can't imagine the group from PND have many people or support.

sure as the dickens, they haven't supported customer service or their website yet.

you CAN see the motorola mindset. i can picture a VP coming to some employees and asking them if they want to join and work with the PND group (probably 10 people max). the VP sold them a bill of goods. they now have to make it work.

Or something like that scenerio.

none-the-less, it's an incredible first shot at a great product IMHO. the "bads" aren't too bad and the "goods" are very good!

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I am just sitting and lurking, for the most part, where Motorola is concerned. They put out a couple PNDs back in December 2008 - the TN20 and 30 (anybody ever buy one??). There was/is support for those models so somebody has had plenty of time to get a website and support program up and running for the three new models.

I have been wondering why the company that makes the Droid and other smartphones would even enter the PND market.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Could it be the same reason why a PND company (Garmin) is got into the Smartphone market?
  • mahammel 41 Points
    keep in mind that Motorola is an extremely diverse company. they are in to a lot of things.

i believe they have a GPS chip made for them. they have tooling capabilities and engineers can design anything. as well they can "sell" their management on what they can do.

i'm not familiar with their T20/30 units but if the VP engineering convinces the VP marketing/sales that they can make money and they buy it----why not?

it's a big market. the Motorola name carries a lot of weight.

all that being said, they've done a superb job of engineering this product. they need help in the SW and functionality area. the guts on the otherhand, are probably similar to all the others out there.

but--------what do i know? i jsut want a good, reliable product that is better than the others!

shoot. i even spotted a Chinese knock off the other day on the web.

Microsoft gets the viruses. Apple doesn't. the big guy gets the market. Tom Tom was unheard of until recently (in teh scope of GPS's).

don't know what my conclusion is. i'm just rambling (and i ain't even had a drink. jus' wait!)

My Camel
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Could it be the same reason why a PND company (Garmin) is got into the Smartphone market?

That move made more sense than Motorola's. Although Garmin is saying they are disappointed in the sales figures for the nuvifone. It was too little, way too late, but they are still trying.

As My Camel said, the Moto name sells.

EIU Tech Blog said:
    The GPS-enabled phone does seem to be the wave of the future. Still, obstacles remain. Current cell phone GPS systems are often slow and hard to operate. I’ve found dedicated GPS devices to be faster and more user-friendly. They generally have more points of interest pre-loaded, too. But in the end, this is likely to come down to a classic technological argument: should we use many electronic devices, each with a different function? Or should we use a single device that tries to incorporate many functions? It’s a tough question.
    The MotoNav 765T does seem to bridge the "gap" somewhat as does the Garmin nuvi 1690 (with more to come) so perhaps this "crossover" market has a future.

Time will tell. As always, IMHO and your mileage may vary. :roll:

I'm being told I gotta go throw a couple steaks on the grill.....