This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 7310 strange routes

mossief1965 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I recently purchased a Navigon 7310 to replace my broken Tomtom Go 720. The maps are much better but the navigation is driving (no pun intended) me crazy. For example, each day for the last 22 years I have been travelling the same journey to and from work. It's exactly 18 miles by the quickest route, shortest is maybe 16 miles. No motorways, no toll roads, one small town, no villages large or small. Incidentally I live in rural Ireland so this is over reasonably quiet roads and we don't have traffic service to affect the routing.

Anyway the 7310 seems to add about a third to any journey I make. Using it on my regular route as a trial it took a "fastest route" that was close to 30 miles instead of 18, and a "shortest route" that was 6 miles longer than the shortest route I know. Incidentally my shortest route avoids all towns and villages completely. I have tried it on other routes since and the results are always similar.

I contacted Navigon support which responded with a series of questions which I answered but received no further reply. They suggested that the routing is the same as all navigation systems as "it will try to drive you around small villages". My tomtom always took the fastest or shortest routes as requested and as I already said there are no towns or villages on the shortest route anyway. They also suggested that the unit would learn from my regular driving but in 3 months it still tries to send me by these abstract routes it chooses. Anyway it shouldn't have to learn it should just use the "shortest", "fastest" or "optimum" routes without having to teach it. After all it is supposed to be the guide, and if I can't trust it on the routes I know.....

I just wonder what other peoples experience with the unit is and is there any way of solving this issue. Thanks.

Maurice in Ireland

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    That has been my experience as well-- Navigon devices are pretty good but don't provide quite as good routes as Garmin or TomTom.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    On another gps related web site there was a Navigon discussion on how to "tweak" some of the early Navigon units to route "better" That was 3 years ago and it involved making changes to the file named "ApplicationSettings.xml" . The file structure in your unit is possibly the same and if you are frustrated enough perhaps you want to explore that info.

I did a couple of the tweaks mentioned on my 7200t, but never to the routing specs so I can't comment directly.

The info can be found here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=97186&whichpage=1

• I did a couple of the tweaks mentioned on my 7200t, but never to the routing specs so I can't comment directly.

The info can be found here: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=97186&whichpage=1
    Thanks. Unfortunately the settings files seem to be different in the 7310 as there is an individual *.ini file for each routing option - RT_fast.ini for example but I'm unsure about editing these. I'll give it a go over the weekend if I can. Just looking at the short route settings all roads are given equal preference and it still can't get it right so not sure if editing will help
  • That has been my experience as well-- Navigon devices are pretty good but don't provide quite as good routes as Garmin or TomTom.
    Not just, "not quite as good". This morning I left my house going to work, asked it for the shortest route as a test. Just down the road it suggested I turn right, distance to destination was 37km, I didn't turn right and the distance remaining changed to 28km. Essentially it was sending me 9km out of my way or adding one third to my journey, if I had actually taken the route I know to be the shortest it would have been more like 13km saved over the Navigon suggested "shortest route". There is absolutely no sense to the routes suggested.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Not just, "not quite as good".
    The nearly 600 replies in this Nuvi thread might disagree with you. :) Every GPS on the market will pick a bad route from time to time. I agree that the Navigon devices pick strange routes a little more often than most others, but not by much.
  • Not just, "not quite as good".

The nearly 600 replies in
    this Nuvi thread might disagree with you. :) Every GPS on the market will pick a bad route from time to time. I agree that the Navigon devices pick strange routes a little more often than most others, but not by much.
    Certainly far more than my old TT or my brothers Garmin which I've tried out on a few occasions. It seems to get the routing right most of the time. The navigon however has only once picked the same route I would. The most memorable example of strange routing was recently when travelling between two places separated by 10 miles of almost perfectly straight road. At one point my navigon told me to turn right, drive 500 yards, turn left, drive 350 yards, turn left again drive 350 yards. This brought me back on the original road 100 yards from where I'd turned right, a detour of 1200 yards in order to actually move closer to my destination by 100 yards. There was nothing to avoid, no town or village, no house, not even a cat or dog, no traffic alerts here. Maybe it was bored and just wanted to tell me to do something?? :D

The maps are far better than the Teleatlas rubbish TT use for Ireland, and I have heard a lot of bad stuff about garmin but I seriously doubt either would do that.
  • ovrclckd 0 Points
    I had the same thing try changing the route profile to scenic instead of fast or short.
    This got 20 min shorter routes then what the short or fast routing would choose.
  • I had the same thing try changing the route profile to scenic instead of fast or short.
    This got 20 min shorter routes then what the short or fast routing would choose.
    Thanks but this makes little difference on the routes I've tried.
  • riderS 0 Points
    Hi Mossief, I can commiserate but little more (see my recent post above)! I've just bought a 8410 and have the same problem. I called support and they advised software upgrade (done) and map upgrade (done) after which to test the device (not done yet). Failing that, they said they would 'repair' it. I'm guessing that the basic direction programming is identical for these so maybe we should keep in touch...
  • Hi Mossief, I can commiserate but little more (see my recent post above)! I've just bought a 8410 and have the same problem. I called support and they advised software upgrade (done) and map upgrade (done) after which to test the device (not done yet). Failing that, they said they would 'repair' it. I'm guessing that the basic direction programming is identical for these so maybe we should keep in touch...
    Hi.

I've been through all this and I'm still trying to make progress but, as it seems to take around two weeks to get a reply, it's slow progress. To be honest I regret buying the unit without having tried first, it's completely untrustworthy AFAIC. Happy to keep you posted on the progress
  • riderS 0 Points
    Hi Maurice
    I'm determined to get this sorted - I'm not going to accept crappy programming or some weird glitch. Have you updated software / maps?
    So far I have to say that customer services have been very helpful, let's see what happens under a bit of pressure :-) I'm hoping to get out today to test the updating I've done...
    regards
    steve
  • Hi Steve.

When I check for a software update I'm told the unit is up to date and I have the latest maps also so this isn't the issue. For some reason the routing software seems to ignore the most obvious, direct routes and goes for less obvious and indirect ones. My experience with support is less positive than yours however but I'll keep trying...
    Thanks
  • riderS 0 Points
    It seems to me that it's stuck on scenic routes... I've just done a 100 mile round trip and rather than taking the Mway for the 15m part it could, it took me across country. Very nice if you're not in a hurry! I'm using it on a bike by the way but I've used bike and car profiles so it's not that...
    Are we the only two people this is happening to? I can't believe that, unless it's a software glitch - I'll call support again after the bank holiday.
  • It can't be just us two. There must be others just haven't reported it? It doesn't seem to matter which route type I try none make sense. My regular route to work is 18 miles, no motorways, tolls etc. There is one town, takes maybe 2 to 5 mins to get thru depending on traffic. It insists on routing me around the town which would take at least 10 to 15 minutes extra. If I just set it to take me to the town it does, but never by the direct route, instead of 4 miles the routes it offers are 7 or 10 miles. Something is very strange with their route planning.
  • riderS 0 Points
    Very strange. I'm thinking of trying the 'lorry' profile to see if that avoids country lanes... or 'pedestrian'!
  • riderS 0 Points
    Maurice, have you seen the facebook group for Navigon? Not sure if it can help us but it might... I've put up a note but there's strength in numbers!
  • I hadn't seen that but I'll take a look later. Anything is worth trying..
  • I got a reply from navigon this morning offering a "repair". Not sure what this can achieve as this is clearly a programming / routing issue not a hardware one.
  • bigperk 0 Points
    Hi Mossief1965, saw your post on Navigon's Facebook. As a matter of interest, what routing does it give you if you simulate/plan a route? If that gives you a more sensible routing then maybe it IS a hardware fault, possibly a faulty GPS receiver (??), which could be repaired. If the routing's the same then it presumably is software as you suspect. In either case, a repair ought to work. Certainly I've not heard of this very strange routing on similar models on the pocketgps forum, over a year or so.

Also as you bought it recently, is it worth going back to the shop first and trying another unit, and getting it changed under warranty if you find a good one?
  • The simulated route is the same as the actual route. For example at a cross roads 100m from my house it almost always suggests a left or right turn when straight on is shorter. It's not just the random detours for no reason, but the "fastest" or "optimum" routes that are literally miles longer, and minutes slower than any route I know. Or the "shortest" routes that aren't. In all cases the simulated route and actual route match. GPS tracking seems fine in so far as the indicator follows the road and matches my position.

I also tried another navigon recently and had similar issues but I didn't get to try it on all my regular routes.

One other thing I noticed is that if I leave the planned route it keeps trying to get me back on this rather than calculating a new route as would seem more obvious.

As for returning it to the shop, I bought it online and they say it's between me and navigon.
  • riderS 0 Points
    Maurice, you do have statutory rights - I'm sure you can change it assuming you haven't had it too long.
    I've been in touch with someone called Sanja who is presumably working on it. We'll see.
    Let me know how you get on and I'll do the same. I do think the the facebook things is worth following up (I saw your note) as they surely don't want bad publicity there... :shock:
  • bigperk 0 Points
    Yes, I've found the Facebook approach quite effective receently too. I'd had two months plus with just silly replies to my problems and had a bit of a blast on the FB page - My questions were then answered properly the same day :D

I agree about the statutory rights assuming (a) you are in NI, or (b) Eire has the same sort of protection as the UK. Commercial (ie not Private) online transactions are covered by the same consumer laws as face-to-face. But of course I know it's not so easy to stand in front of their other prospective customers and moan at the top of your voice. Still, no reason why you shouldn't remind them of their legal liabilities and threaten bad publicity - and if it was through ebay there's the disputes/ratings procedures to remind them about (what does their returns policy say btw?).

Anyway, good luck. While Navigon support isn't what it was (possibly because of introducing so many new models needing support), once you get a unit back to them I think they are still very quick and good.
  • Putting a message on facebook might have helped as I got the repair offer the next morning. I will look into getting a refund from pixmania.com where I bought it but not sure if they will as it's not technically "broken" just unsatisfactory.

Incidentally I downloaded navigon on my mobile yesterday (30 day trial) and the routes calculated are identical to those calculated by my 7310 so this really looks like a general problem in the routing software, certainly not hardware, and doesn't look hopeful for repair when it crops up on that too.

Edit: pixmania.com only offer a 7 day refund guarantee
  • riderS 0 Points
    Maurice, although it's not broken you can argue that it's not 'fit for purpose'. It doesn't do the job it's designed or advertised to do.
    I do think it's a software glitch but it's very odd that the mobile version has the same problems - that suggests something much more wide-spread.
  • Another observation, both for my 7310 and the mobile software.

My nearest town (small) is 4 miles away to the south. My fastest route to most places south takes me through the town. If I ask navigon (either one) to take me to town, it's fine - takes me directly there. If I ask it to take me to any place south (shortest profile) it still takes me through the town but only after making a 3 mile detour first making my journey 3 miles longer, minimum. It doesn't make sense that it's 4 miles if I want to go directly to the town, but 7 miles if I just want to pass through....

This happens on both 7310 and mobile and it's the same for other routes I've tried.
  • Maurice, although it's not broken you can argue that it's not 'fit for purpose'. It doesn't do the job it's designed or advertised to do.
    I do think it's a software glitch but it's very odd that the mobile version has the same problems - that suggests something much more wide-spread.
    It does seem that there is more of a problem. I think that the routing software clearly has some glitches that carry over between systems...Maybe it's more pronounced here in that I live in a very rural area, no motorways etc, and it seems to take the shortest route to the nearest main road first, rather than the most direct route to the destination. Optimum route seems to avoid everything on the route adding even more miles.

Generally it seems to use only primary roads even if there is a much quicker, shorter route. Yet yours is doing the opposite and avoiding motorways??

I will look into the not fit for purpose suggestion, it's worth a go.
  • bigperk 0 Points
    Pixmania :roll: I thought as much! Nearly asked you.

But you ought to be able to quote bits of Section 12.1 of their own Terms & Conditions (Legal Guarantees ) back at them, as well as pointing out that as it was sold in the UK, UK consumer law can also be held to apply. You may get something out of them, but I won't be holding MY breath! :evil: :x
  • Pixmania :roll: I thought as much! Nearly asked you.

But you ought to be able to quote bits of Section 12.1 of their own Terms & Conditions (Legal Guarantees ) back at them, as well as pointing out that as it was sold in the UK, UK consumer law can also be held to apply. You may get something out of them, but I won't be holding MY breath! :evil: :x
    Are they really that bad? :( I've bought from them before but never had an occasion to return anything. Oh well...
  • riderS 0 Points
    Maurice, I think I have a result. I had been in communication with Navigon by email but they suddenly stopped talking to me! I called the help line and spoke to a very helpful chap who has organised a DHL pick up for the unit. So they'll take it away and return it at their expense. Now I just have to see if they can resolve the problem!