This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Use pre-installed maps in BaseCamp - very cool!

BaseCamp finally supports a feature that everyone has been begging for... you can use the pre-installed maps on your computer without downloading or installing anything. BaseCamp reads the maps directly from the GPS and allows you to compute routes, display tracks, create waypoints and more.

Just download the newest version for either the Mac or PC here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

Connect your Nuvi and give it a minute to enter Mass Storage mode. Now start up BaseCamp and it should recognize the GPS and sync with the pre-installed map. This only took a few minutes on my Nuvi 1350; older models with slower USB interfaces may take awhile, and they may also be unacceptably slow in accessing the map. You should see something like this as it prepares the map

When the progress bar reaches the right side, you can then choose the City Navigator map from the dropdown menu. Click on "My Collection" to highlight it. Now click File > New > Route and you can create routes using various options - see the Tools > Options menu for more on this.

The same technique will also work with pre-loaded Garmin data cards and downloaded Garmin maps - just insert them in a USB card reader and run Basecamp.

If you already had the City Navigator maps installed on your computer in Mapsource, then you can access them directly (or any other Garmin maps) with Basecamp as well.

BaseCamp does a lot of other things, I have just started playing with the new version myself. It has come a long way and it makes me wonder if Mapsource's days are numbered....

Comments

• JohnBoyToo 0 Points
    Thanks, downloaded version 3.03 and wondered about the birdseye imagery....

does basecamp support that ?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Yes, BaseCamp is the only way to download BirdsEye. But it will not work unless you connect a GPS that supports it (Oregon, Colorado or Dakota 20). Otherwise you can't download anything. If you do own a supported unit, connect it to your computer and start BaseCamp. The program will identify it and prompt you for what to do.

You can download all the imagery that you want to your computer even if you don't have a subscription. However, without a subscription it will only allow you to send a small 1 mile x 1 mile sample from the center of a download image to your GPS. With a subscription, the only limit to what you can transfer to the GPS is the size of your memory card. I have about 10.5 GB on a 16GB memory card in my Oregon 400t and it works great.
  • JohnBoyToo 0 Points
    AH,
    Thanks for the quick reply...
    Don't have those units....
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Sorry... BirdsEye is not compatible with any of the Nuvi series.
  • When I attempt to use Basecamp....I get an access error message that it can't connect with the CN map on my Nuvi. The map and "all data" show under devices. I can access saved routes and locations in "all data" but cannot use the map to create new routes, other than main highways.
    I was able to use Basecamp to create routes a few weeks ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    What model Nuvi do you have? If it is old USB 1.0, then that may possibly be the issue, since access would be really slow. Or are you saying that it used to work, but now it doesn't?

Garmin's own Basecamp forum is a very good place to get help. The developers participate and have helped many people. They also use forum input to update their bug list and feature requests.

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179
  • I was using my 755, so it's USB 2, and my laptop is one of the latest (Intel i5) and all ports are USB2.

Yes, I was able to create routes with it 3-4 weeks ago. I can access the routes I created and saved on the Nuvi (all data), but they now only appear as point to point routes because of the map access problem.

Thanks for the link, I will give that a try later today.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    What version of Basecamp are you using? See: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/128865/#128865
  • What version of Basecamp are you using? See: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/128865/#128865
    I just read that over on the Garmin BC forum. Fortunately I'm using 3.0.2.
  • What version of Basecamp are you using? See: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/128865/#128865
    I am not answering above question. Just want to know which Version of Basecamp best fro use :?: Please share 8)
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    You should use the current version which is always available for both Windows and MacOS here:

There are also beta versions available at the link, but use those at your own risk because sometimes there are problems.
  • drugo 91 Points
    BaseCamp finally supports a feature that everyone has been begging for... you can use the pre-installed maps on your computer without downloading or installing anything. BaseCamp reads the maps directly from the GPS and allows you to compute routes, display tracks, create waypoints and more.

Just download the newest version for either the Mac or PC here:

Connect your Nuvi and give it a minute to enter Mass Storage mode. Now start up BaseCamp and it should recognize the GPS and sync with the pre-installed map. This only took a few minutes on my Nuvi 1350; older models with slower USB interfaces may take awhile, and they may also be unacceptably slow in accessing the map. You should see something like this as it prepares the map

When the progress bar reaches the right side, you can then choose the City Navigator map from the dropdown menu. Click on "My Collection" to highlight it. Now click File > New > Route and you can create routes using various options - see the Tools > Options menu for more on this.

The same technique will also work with pre-loaded Garmin data cards and downloaded Garmin maps - just insert them in a USB card reader and run Basecamp.

If you already had the City Navigator maps installed on your computer in Mapsource, then you can access them directly (or any other Garmin maps) with Basecamp as well.

BaseCamp does a lot of other things, I have just started playing with the new version myself. It has come a long way and it makes me wonder if Mapsource's days are numbered....
    does it work map on my hard disk ?
    copied from my garmin
    to be more safe

thanks
  • SergZak 340 Points

does it work map on my hard disk ?
    copied from my garmin
    to be more safe
    It may work but I've personally never tried it. You can always give it a try and see.
  • sussamb 800 Points
    What will work is if you copy all the files onto a memory stick or sd card ... Basecamp will then read the maps off that :)
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    You can install the maps on your computer as part of the update process. However maps installed on the computer are in a different format from maps installed on the device. So you can't just copy the maps from the Nuvi to your computer. You must download them in the correct format from Garmin.

It is possible however to use a "virtual disk" program to simulate a removable drive and copy to maps to that. Probably more trouble than it's worth though.
  • drugo 91 Points
    What will work is if you copy all the files onto a memory stick or sd card ... Basecamp will then read the maps off that :)

thanks

i tried to import maps
    but nothing , i will try to copy on a usb stick and try it
    does it work with gmapsupp.img too?
    save gmapsupp.img on an usb stick , should i create a folder on the usb stick?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    The best approach would be to copy EVERYTHING from your nuvi to the USB stick. This will also give you a backup if you ever need it. But yes, the maps must be in the same folders on the USB stick as they are on the GPS.

There is no way to "import" maps. They must be installed on your computer using software such as Garmin's lifetime updater.
  • drugo 91 Points
    They must be installed on your computer using software such as Garmin's lifetime updater.
    i installed this software , but where is stored the map ?
    i run w7
    i though Garmin's lifetime updater doesn't store the entire map on my pc but checks for updates

thanks
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Lifetime Updater is an interface to download/install the map update to your GPS unit and/or PC. It does not directly allow you access maps on your PC. What it does do is allow you to download the map data to your GPS along with to your PC so you can access the maps using Basecamp (if it's installed as well).

An option is available within Lifetime Updater to install the maps to your PC. You'd need to select this option when installing for the maps to be available in Basecamp.
  • t923347 432 Points
    What it does do is allow you to download the map data to your GPS along with to your PC so you can access the maps using Basecamp (if it's installed as well).
    Doesn't the update process install Basecamp automatically if you select to download the maps to your GPS and computer, and it finds that the software is not already on the computer?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Doesn't the update process install Basecamp automatically if you select to download the maps to your GPS and computer, and it finds that the software is not already on the computer?
    I'm not sure, Rick...I've only done it once and it was quite awhile ago.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    i installed this software , but where is stored the map ?
    i run w7
    On Win 7 the maps will be installed at C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps. However, you would access them in Basecamp using the dropdown menu. Here's what it looks like if you have multiple maps installed. As an end user, you don't really need to know where the files are stored. They are just data that is used by Basecamp (or Mapsource if you have it installed).

• zarpar 0 Points
    Boyd 3Apr10: "BaseCamp finally supports a feature that everyone has been begging for... you can use the pre-installed maps on your computer without downloading or installing anything. BaseCamp reads the maps directly from the GPS and allows you to compute routes, display tracks, create waypoints and more."

I am trying to get this Garmin maze figured out and it "ain't" easy.
    I use 2 XP computers and a Nuvi 255W. I figured I could download a garmin compatible map to one of the PCs, load the map onto the nuvi SD card and when I would go to the other computer with the nuvi Basecamp would see not only the original Garmin maps on the device but also the added topo on the SD card. Seems logical - Basecamp wouldn't have to store the map; just view it.
    Apparently not! My nuvi can view and use the added topo (on the SD) but BC doesn't see it (it sees the SD card but not the map on it). That doesn't fit with Boyd's quote above as I read it. Am I doing something wrong? Am I going to have to install that map on the second PC in BC also?

Thanks.
  • sussamb 800 Points
    Basecamp will by default see any garmin maps but generally not third party maps. You can use the tools provided here http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html to make maps that aren't visible in Basecamp 'visible' :wink:
  • t923347 432 Points
    Any of the Garmin compatible maps I have downloaded from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com have shown up in Basecamp. Since the ones the OP has can be used on the Nuvi they should be visible in Basecamp.

I would have thought the trick would be that you have to have the map file in either a folder called Garmin or a folder called Map on the SD card. Since he says that he can use the maps when the card is in the Nuvi, it would appear that he must have them in the right place already. :?:
  • sussamb 800 Points
    I've had maps that the nuvi could see but weren't visible in BC, so I guess it depends on the map :?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Not quite that simple Rick. Most of the GPSFileDepot maps include installers that place the files on your computer where Basecamp will see them. You then use MapInstall to compile them into the format needed on the GPS itself.

.img files are actually "containers" and the contents can vary so you can't generalize about how they will behave. The files used by Basecamp on your hard drive are separate "tiles" that make up the entire map. When you send a map to the GPS, all these separate files are combined in the .img container along with an optional file that defines the appearance of map.

The final .img file installed on the GPS includes a flag that indicates whether Basecamp can "see" the map when the GPS is connected to the computer. If you install a map on your GPS using Garmin's software (Mapsource or MapInstall), this flag will NOT be set, and the map on the GPS will NOT be visible in Basecamp. By default, only Garmin products pre-installed on a device or distributed on data cards are visible to Basecamp,

Sussamb has posted how to make them visible though. JaVaWa's software can also move map files from one computer to another. Very handy utility programs. :)
  • t923347 432 Points
    Your right (of course :wink: ) about reading from the SD card. I didn't check first (always a bad thing) and now find that the topo maps I can see in Basecamp are all on my PC and were installed there using the GPSfiledepot installer.
  • sussamb 800 Points
    That'll explain it :)
  • zarpar 0 Points
    Thanks everybody for shedding some light on this complex topic.

I downloaded the map from here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
    It has been a couple of weeks now but I may have used the combined image instead of the install option, thiniking that would be more efficient to maintain a ¨repository¨ of maps on one PC and just add or delete them to SD cards from it alone. Ah, no good deed goes unpunished.
    It is strange to me that the device (nuvi) can use the map but BaseCamp cannot, without some significant messaging. Shouldn´t be difficult for that to happen but then maybe it would provide some additional competition to Garmin proprietary maps.