This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom Eclipse / DUO AVN2210p Rebooting Issues

Comments

• plumgas 0 Points
    version 6550 is very old version, did you get the camera's to display with the updated version. I have 6553 & they don't show up.
  • version 6550 is very old version, did you get the camera's to display with the updated version. I have 6553 & they don't show up.
    Yeah, it's the original one that came with the unit. But it works for now. If anyone has access to a later app that will still work and be a little newer that would be great.

Unfortunately I don't use the speed cams function as in Canada (at least Ontario) they are really a non issue. Sorry that I can't help.

HR
  • vwli 0 Points
    I have 2 questions regarding the AVN2210P:

(1) Does TMC works in US? My Garmin can receive TMC info in Seattle. When I read the TomTom manual, it mentioned the default is to receive TMC. But so far I have not seen any indication that I am receiving TMC info yet.

(2) After I hold the tilt button for over 3 seconds, the unit tilt. But I cannot make it tilt to the extreme position for the CD. I have to press the reset button to put the unit to non-tilt position. However, I still cannot tilt the unit to put CD in. Anyone has similar experience? Any fix? (BY the way, it was working fine before I set the tilt position)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    1) No.

2) I haven't heard of this... perhaps it is bumping up against something?
  • plumgas 0 Points
    I had a simular problem after I used a cd it was not closing right unless I turned it off. I had to keep on holding it till it went back into position. You have press the tilt button & then quickly take your finger off . If you hold it it will only go into the tilt positions.

I just bought a new car so it's good bye tom tom. Ny new unit is the eclipse AVN 726EA. 7" screen with dvd with suna traffic channel & Navteq maps. Plays also divx.
  • vwli 0 Points
    1) No.

2) I haven't heard of this... perhaps it is bumping up against something?
    (1) Is it becasue there is no TMC receiver built in? Or US and Europe standard difference? I really miss using it.

(2)The unit re-booted itself while I was on blue tooth phone one day. The tilt function has been working since then. Wierd......

Other than that, the unit is performing quite well. I wish the little LED display on the unit is brighter. I can barely see any during day time.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Is it becasue there is no TMC receiver built in? Or US and Europe standard difference? I really miss using it.
    The standard is different.
  • marnow 0 Points
    I have a brand new 2009 Toyota 4runner - Trial Edition. The GPS unit is rebooting as well especially in a long trip. It just reboots with no reason couple of times. Anybody has any solution?
  • plumgas 0 Points
    if it has toyota's name on it it's a genuine toyota accessory & they have to service it. I think the problem not enough of people are complaining to toyota so nothing is done. Toyota told me they cannot fobb people off with this as it's written in their warranties that they have fix it.
  • marnow 0 Points
    It is a Toyota original unit that came with this model, I didn't modify anything, it's frustrated, I will address this as soon as possible to the dealer.
  • vwli 0 Points
    I have been lucky so far. Two weeks after installing the HU in my car, no mayor problem yet. Only time will tell.
  • vwli 0 Points
    I have my 1st re-boot a few days ago. After the 2nd re-boot, I re-load the backup files on the SD card and it was all good again.
    What is the latest application version? I guess I could find out via TomTom home. But I remember some threads saying do not go there unless you have to. It might mess up your system.
  • So glad I found this website, I was beginning to go nuts with my AVN2210. Based on reading 6 plus pages concerning the reboot issues I feel better about my issues (only slightly). I also have a 2210 (not p model) that I’ve used for almost 2 years. Outside of a warranty issue with the head unit, the PMD hasn’t given me any trouble until very recently (about 2 months ago). I too started getting the dreaded reboot issue and lost fidelity on my maps (lost road names, etc). This is where it gets worse, after wasting hrs on the phone w/ TomTom, they had me reboot, reformat, and uninstall everything from my SD card (to include my maps). At this point TomTom has turfed me to eclipse and my unit won’t download the map from TomTom home. I’m able to download the GPS fix software, voices, telephone files, but not the 880MB North America map. I broke down and purchased a new SD card and still no go. I can still use the PDM as a radio controller but that’s it. Does anyone know how I can successfully pull the map from the TomTom home site and get it to my PDM? The issues started shortly after unpdating the device and installing the Toyota application (I have it in a 2008 Tacoma), I wonder if that is one of the issues. Please help!
  • Tim 1480 Points
    TomTom is the only one who can provide you with a map if you don't have a backup. The map lis licensed for each individual device, so only they will be able to help you.
  • That's the problem. They have pretty much washed their hands of the issue. I have a free map online that I'm unable to download. I was wondering if there is a way to download it to the computer and then to the unit? Is there a trick to getting onto the SD card? Ie.. what would be stopping the map download when every other app installs with no issue at all?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If they have issued you a map update online, you should be able to download it from TomTom HOME to the device/SD card. That is the method of downloading it to the computer and then to the card. Does HOME properly identify your GPS as the TomTom Eclipse?
  • Thats the problem. It is downloading everyother update just fine. Goes through the process with no issue (voices, gps fix, etc..) and when it get to the map update it given a "Internal server 500" error and stops the download. This is with 1 new and the original SD cards.
  • I'm assuming that it is recognizing the unit as a TomTom eclipse.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I think your best option is to continue pressing with TomTom support. I've had numerous conversations with TomTom officials as well as Eclipse officials and their official answer is clear. TomTom supports the software on the PND and Eclipse supports the hardware/radio/CD. However, I've had the same results as you where each side just says it is the responsibility of the other.

I'd just try to be firm and polite and tell TomTom that it is ridiculous for Eclipse to try to support an issue of a map downloading from the TomTom servers to the TomTom HOME software. Ask to talk to someone in tier 2 support if necessary.
  • I guess that's worth a shot. I'm wondering if I can download the original software (original factory version) from another site and then try downloading the map, think that would help? Have a good link?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    No, you need to get it from TomTom. The TomTom HOME program will give you the original software. I wouldn't trust the data from anywhere else.
  • Hmm...I must not be looking in the right place. I only have the TomTom Eclipse/Toyota app available to me in Home. Is there somewhere else i should be looking? To your knowledge would they be able to get me an older map (vs. the version 675)?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I only have the TomTom Eclipse/Toyota app available to me in Home. Is there somewhere else i should be looking?
    That is the app you want for your device. As to the other issue, if you are not seeing the map that TomTom added to your account within HOME, then you need to tell them that so they can properly add it.
  • I can see the MAP on home just fine it just won't download. Before I waste more time with TT CS and have them turf me to eclipse again, I decided to get my old computer down (bought new one in Feb 09) and search for archived back up. Sure enough there is TTH version 2.1 and a sizable backup file with a USA and Canada folder. Due to lack of time I tried to cut and past the USA Canada folder into the main folder of the SD card this AM before work but it gave me a cyclic redundancy error about 85% into it. I'm assusiming that it not a good way to do it. When I get home today I'm going to attemt to reformat my new 2GB SD card (FAT32 right?) and install aps from the computer via TTH 2.1. Sound like a good plan or should I try and avoid that all together and do it some other way. Assuming I don't get an error and everything goes well, should I even bother trying to update my TT with the items from TTH 2.6 on my new computer? or is that asking for trouble?

JR
  • I guess I was a little sketchy. Sorry about that. OK...

On the software upgrade:
    I follow the steps provided on the Eclipse website:

1) Insert CD
    2) Wait for NO SUPPORT to be displayed
    3) Hold SOURCE/PWR button until ALL OFF is displayed. Release SOURCE/PWR
    4) Press the "^" button until a beep is audible.

Here's were it breaks down. The unit instantly tilts and ejects the CD. The upgrade process never takes place. I verify the software version and it is still the old version.

The real reason I'm trying to upgrade is for XM Radio. I had the Eclipse unit installed yesterday and when I brought it home I was receiving a signal from XM. Once the radio was activated I no longer received the XM Signal. In fact XM doesn't even show up as an option in the sources.

I figured the best thing to try first was the upgrade. Step two is to return to Best Buy to have the installation folks take a look.

I hope that isn't too confusing. Any help is tremendously appreciated.
    Anyone ever see a solution to this? I'm getting the same results when i try to upgrade. Any help is greatly apprechiated.
  • JRMN 0 Points
    Is there a solution because my unit is suffering from the reboot problem?
  • dhn 336 Points
    I'm not acquainted with that model. I know that when stand alone TomTom models have the reboot issue, we often suggest connecting the unit to Home, operate the emulator (Operate my unit) and modify one favourite by adding one, deleting one, editing one ...

Then disconnect the unit properly from Home and restart. The reboot issue is often rectified.
  • JRMN 0 Points
    dhn, I'm not sure if that would work because it only reboots when it's docked in the radio. However, it's worth a shot. what do you mean "modify one favourite by adding one, deleting one, editing one ...?"
    And do it matter if I don't have any favorites setup?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Then try 'Adding a favourite'
  • JRMN 0 Points
    It seems to be working again. I moved everything over to a 2 gig SD card and it hasn't rebooted since (crossing my fingers). I'm still confused, you want me to add a favorite and then change it? Although it seems to working I would like to know just in case this didn't fix the issue.
  • dhn 336 Points
    The issue is with a file called mapsettings.cfg found in the map folder on the unit. This file contains your favourites, recent destinations, home location and other information.

Many with the rebooting problem have found this file to be the problem and by doing the steps I listed helps to stabilize the relationship between the application and the file when there is a map update.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm curious how many of you are still using the AVN2210p and how many of you have moved on to another device.
  • I purchased a new car & installed a eclipse avn726ea & it's brilliant.
    The old car with the 2210p recently was ripped out by toyota & replaced under warranty due to the cd drive failed to shut. however we are still stuck with the tom tom that you can't update.
  • I'm curious how many of you are still using the AVN2210p and how many of you have moved on to another device.
    I'm still using the unit after about two years and have been checking out this awesome forum every now and then for any AVN2210p info. 8)

Though it seems that over time my unit has became more and more unstable and finicky.
    The troubles started brewing after updating to Version 7. I'm currently using 7.832 and I've been getting the triple tap, random reboot problems (incredibly frustrating when you're in the middle of a route), TomTom not connecting to the unit (thus having to detach and reattach until it does) and more recently the USB and iPod sporadically working.
    Updating to version 7.833 seems to make the rebooting problem worse.

Anybody have any insights?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Aside from the major audio issue I have (and I haven't heard of other people having) mine has been relatively stable. But I don't use it for navigation anymore-- I just use it as an iPod controller, CD player, and radio.
  • Aside from the major audio issue I have (and I haven't heard of other people having) mine has been relatively stable. But I don't use it for navigation anymore-- I just use it as an iPod controller, CD player, and radio.
    Do you (or anybody) still have the version 6 backed up somewhere? I'd like to revert back to 6 since my 2201p was working perfectly prior to the 7.83x update. I have tried contacting TomTom about it, but CSR told me they don't have them. Of course, don't include maps or anything that cannot be legally posted/sent.

Thanks in advance
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Do you know which version within the 6 branch you are looking for? 6.50, 6.55, etc?
  • I think the only ones i've used were the 6.550-6.554. Preferably 6.554 since people have had reboot issues or what not with the earlier ones.
  • Thanks for the link! I'm not sure what to do with these files, as simply overwriting the original files causes my Tomtom to reboot endlessly. Also, the size and # of files contained are much less than the ones already on the SD card..?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The extracted files will overwrite the existing files of the same name, but the "other" files remain the same. Those files are the "application" files that change from application version to application version.

As to the rebooting, you might try running the Clear Flash tool.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Also, sometimes a 'cure' for rebooting is this.......

Connect to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my Unit) and make a change to one favourite. Add one, delete one, edit one, it doesn't matter. Then disconnect the unit properly from Home (using the Device Disconnect icon).

Restart the unit and see if the rebooting is 'cured'
  • The clear flash tool didn't seem to have any effect, though modifying a favorite did the trick. The only problem now is that the roads aren't displaying properly. It is only showing various major highways and roads, none of the smaller streets.

Weird thing is...the same thing happened when I tried to revert back to an older 6.554 backup that I have.
  • The extracted files will overwrite the existing files of the same name, but the "other" files remain the same. Those files are the "application" files that change from application version to application version.

As to the rebooting, you might try running the Clear Flash tool.
    Would you happen to have the links for the other versions as well (6.550-6.553)? I'd like to see if those work any better. Thanks for all the help so far.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I dont' think so-- I found the later releases in version 7 to work the best.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Would you happen to have the links for the other versions as well (6.550-6.553)? I'd like to see if those work any better. Thanks for all the help so far.
    http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_6.55.7818.duo.cab
    http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_6.552.7843.duo.cab
    http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_6.553.7847.duo.cab

• I am just curious what app version you are using.

Hey, I seem to be using the following:
    app - 7.832
    OS - 220942
    Maps - v665.1293

I might check and see if the old back up I have was older than this one. Perhaps that will be more stable as I did use TT Home a bit to try to make it work better (who would have thought it would make everything worse :?).

HR

edit - Just realized I have a backed up version of the app: 6.550. I am going to try that out to see if it stops the reboot and triple tap.

edit 2 - Reverting to 6.550 seems to have worked. The reboot and triple tap problems are all gone. It does seem like the display looked a little sharper with the 7.XXX but I'll take functionality over looks any day of the week.
    I tried to update my tt home and now I can't even connect to my tomtom. I started having the rebooting issues a few months ago. I updated stuff and now its even worse. I keep getting this "an error has occured" prompt and error reading file:G:\currentmap.dat. how do I revert back to the old version? I dont care if the gps works I jsut want to play my mp3s without it rebooting every 10 mins.
  • dhn 336 Points
    What model tomtom do you have and what application and map and its version?
  • i think its 192000-0430a700 (its the one from my eclipse AVN2210p) and not sure about application and/or maps. I never backed up my original version. Any help is appreciated.
  • dhn 336 Points
    If you tap the satellite bars, the next screen shows the application version number. Then tap the version number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version number.