This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom Eclipse / DUO AVN2210p Rebooting Issues

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    George, sent you an email.

Perhaps then we are looking for a file that gets reset when a different application version is detected.
  • Rob 0 Points
    Fresh format of 1GB card

Base restore of 6.550

108 files / 14 folders

Upgrade to 6.553 before running

112 files / 15 folders

After running undocked

119 files /18 folders

After running docked

119 files / 18 folders

No hidden files.

This is with no modifications to anything, just on/off. It didn't do the reboot thing yet.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Interesting. I think I have 66 total files once I take out my custom POIs.
  • Rob 0 Points
    This is how it comes fresh from the box - the first backup I made when connected.

Updated files/folders made when going from 6.550 -> 6.553

data.chk
    libaec.so
    system
    tomtom.ico
    ttsystem
    \bin\aushake
    \bin\mp3d

Files/folders from first boot

contacts
    logging
    itn\temporary.iti
    clmdata
    currentmap.dat
    settings.dat
    ttdesk.ver
    USA_and_Canada-1B289F2F.mac
    USA_and_Canada-08C39CD5.mds
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I guess then the next step might be to take a snapshot of a fresh install that is working properly, then making as few changes on the device as possible take another snapshot when it stops behaving and see what has changed.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I got a call today that TomTom Support now has a link they can send you to download the "official" 6.550 software if you want to revert back. You will need to call support, tell them you want to downgrade, and from what I've been told they should be able to give you a link to download the older software.
  • I got a call today that TomTom Support now has a link they can send you to download the "official" 6.550 software if you want to revert back. You will need to call support, tell them you want to downgrade, and from what I've been told they should be able to give you a link to download the older software.
    Tim

If you could get that link I'd be obliged.

Tomtom Europe have now refused to have anything to do with that particular problem and will not answer me at all regarding it.
  • Rob 0 Points
    Don't guess you asked if they had an ETA on when we would be bumped up to 7?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I've asked, but haven't heard anything other than "Fall", "Q4", and "before too long".
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If you could get that link I'd be obliged.
    Working on it.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Well, I called and they didn't have a link. However they did try to email me the files. The email didn't go through due to the size of the attachment, so they attached it to my support ticket and I downloaded it through their website. However it requires that you be logged in to download the file.
  • Rob 0 Points
    What kind of file did they have you download?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    It was just a zip file that contained all of the application files to manually copy to the SD card. The guy I spoke with manually grabbed an SD card out of a DUO, copied the application files, zipped them up, and sent them along.
  • Well, I've been using 6.550 on my standard 1GB card all day today and never a hitch.

Worked perfectly all day and that has been quite a lot of stops and starts.

I now cannot see why using a 2GB card would have solved the problem, albeit temporarily.
  • Rob 0 Points
    Could be formatting issues or just the different memory cards.
  • Can some one please email the 6.550 version?

I've had my Eclipse for a week, and it does the same restarts everyone has been discussing. Mine came with 6.552 installed, so I don't have an earlier version to revert back to. raistlin295, can you hook a brother up? I can PM you (or whomever) with my email address; big enough to handle the exe file.

On a side note, I noticed something that might help identify the root of program glitch, but someone with a version running on their TT besides 6.553 may want to verify this as well ---

I found that when you hold the power button on the TT Duo as it powers up ( select and hold this button after you see the TT Hands emblem on the screen), the following status page is presented on the screen:

TomTom DUO (TM) (c) TomTom 2003-2006
    Hardware type: TomTom DUO
    Bootloader version: 5.2912 (chksm: 306F)
    Compiled at: Apr 27 2007 10:20:56
    Memory: 64 MB
    CPU ID: 32440001
    Clocks: 288.000 96.000 48.000
    GPS type: SIRF 3
    SD Card capacity: 1006080 kByte
    Startup mode: Reboot / Sleep / Power down
    Device ID: N15xxxxxxxxx
    Bluetooth MAC address: 00:13:xx:xx:xx:xx
    Bluetooth calibration: 20
    Touchscreen calib. date: 101 917 110 877
    Battery boot voltage: 4122 mV
    RTC: 02:17:25 10/11/2007

There are a couple of things to note on this page.
    First, all of the info comes up the same each time except the "Startup mode", the "Battery boot voltage", and the "RTC" (Real Time Clock) lines.

The RTC is equivelent to GMT, and i'm presuming it keeps the device in initial sync with the satellite heartbeat pulse. The Battery boot voltage is kind of self explanitory, and it's value apparently declines as the unit runs off battery power. The interesting line is the Startup mode. It seems that when it reboots (by itself) it is aware of it, or indicates that it was commanded to do so based upon what it was told to do in the shutdown commands. I'm not a code writer, but if there is one @ TT looking into this ongoing issue, it may be worth mentioning.

I also noticed that when it starts from "off", the Startup mode line reads "Sleep". Reset button yields "Power down", and ever cyclic restarts yield "Reboot". By the way, if you're unit seems locked in the endlees cycles of automatically restarting, before you reach for that ball point pen to push the reset button, push and hold the power button while the TomTom OS progress bar is in view. The TomTom mosaic page will flash for a second, and then the screen will go dark. Apparently thiss will put it in "Sleep" mode.

I hope this helps someone out there. Like all of you, I look forward to a day soon where all of these little annoying glitches are resolved.

-JT
    'eratic8'
  • Tim 1480 Points
    edited November 2007
    Interesting, eratic8. I really think you are onto something there. That goes along with what I've been thinking about some sort of file that is either getting corrupt or otherwise getting bad data in it. I've been able to successfully "fix" each of the software versions for a period of time.... then it goes into weird mode... then by deleting a bunch of the settings files everything is normal again. Through what you are saying, I bet one of those settings files is getting incorrectly written with some reboot instructions causing the boot issues.... I think we're onto something.
  • Rob 0 Points
    Bootloader on mine is 5.3006 with a compile date of 6/6/07
  • eratic8 - I've just sent you a 'useful' URL ;)
  • I've got the same problem with 6.552 - any chance someone can send me the original 6.550 files?

TIA, Clyde
  • Well - after 3 days of faultless operation with version 6.550, I've got to assume that the problem is directly related to 6.552 and 6.553.

I've looked at all the files in the official TOMTOM 6.550 download and I really cannot see where the problem lies, comparing those files from the two later versions.

Oh, BTW - just in case anybody is interested, the IPC-107p IPOD adaptor is now supposed to be available "November / December" according to Eclipse's tech support.

I'm thinking of opening up the TOMTOM /IPOD cable to see if the power and return contacts for the IPOD end are wired up. If they are, and the lead performs properly, problem solved, at least until the release of the proper cable (if it EVER gets released).
  • Hmm

Tomtom have just indicated that version 7 maps are suitable for the Eclipse.

I wonder... :twisted:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    What is your thought there?
  • Well - they are quoting version 7 "MAPS"

So either they mean maps capable of running with Version 7 of the TOMTOM operating system, in which case, where is version 7 OR, they don't mean maps but version 7 OS.

Or have I misunderstood?
  • Rob 0 Points
    The differences are all in the TTN file that has been updated. Major differences from 6.550 to 6.553 in code that was added and changed. Probably just have to stick with this until they give us 7
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Couldn't they just mean that the new version 7 maps (like those found on the 720/920/ONE XL-s) are backwards compatible to work on the Eclipse? (Rather than talking about the application version.)
  • I suspect that the map format hasn't changed for V7 - clearly V7 can use V6 maps, otherwise the V7 updates wouldn't be being pushed out to existing customers with V6, or they would have to buy new maps. So the V7 maps are probably not significantly different to the V6 maps.

BTW, thanks very much to raistlin295 - with his help my Eclipse is now very happily guiding me around with 6.550.
  • They seem to be insisting that the Version 7 maps for "ONE" are compatible with Eclipse.

They are on offer at a very attractive price as well
  • Hmm

Tomtom have just indicated that version 7 maps are suitable for the Eclipse.

I wonder... :twisted:
    Where did you get this info?
  • Podge3 on here is in the same situation that I was.

That is to say, I had an imported Eclipse with USA maps on the SD card.

TOMTOM allowed me to excahnge the rights to the USA maps for the rights to the Western Europe maps.

However, they are playing rough with the podge3 and sent him an e-mail saying he could download the Version 7 maps at a 50% discount.
  • Rob 0 Points
    I have now had three successful no reboots after undocking using 6.553. My bluetooth just won't function right with 6.550 it seems, so I went back to try 6.553 again. It did the reboot after the first dock, but hasn't on the next three. There just doesn't seem to be much of a pattern to this.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    So far since I deleted a massive amount of settings files and reinstalled 6.553 I have had no issues docked or un-docked. I keep making images of my drive so that when it does start acting up I can see what changed, but so far (rather unfortunately in some ways) it is acting perfectly.
  • Rob 0 Points
    I've got a Kenwood DNX7100 going in this week, so I might be giving up on this thing until it hits 7, or ebay it if I like the kenwood.
  • Rob 0 Points
    Back to the reboots again tonight. Came out once and found the unit on and with low battery too.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    On 6.553?
  • Rob 0 Points
    Yes, on 6.553
  • 6.550 still working perfectly in all respects
  • Rob 0 Points
    I wonder when our check will arrived from Tomtom for beta testing?

8)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Probably just before the AVN2210p mkII arrives that has better Bluetooth and fixes the hardware issues. :roll:

I'm making fun, but I'm still rolling along with 6.553 without a single undesired reboot, docked or un-docked, since my last restore.
  • Rob 0 Points
    Maybe you need to get on their case more about giving us 7, even if it is broken. I think we are the last device not on it? :lol:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Certainly one of the last, but I think there are still a couple more older devices that haven't moved up. We do seem to be the newest device that hasn't yet been updated.
  • Rob 0 Points
    I went through the list of available tomtoms and almost all had some version of 7. It's really a shame since nothing else really compares in this price range. Even with the Kenwood I bought I had to buy a separate bluetooth and I doubt it will even do SMS like this does.
  • Grrr, latest victim checking in.

I've run my TomTom/AVN2210p without issue since purchase (11/13/2007). Today, I listened to my first USB (Corsair Padlock) MP3 while driving to a bar after work. After I parked, I undocked the PND and put it in my pocket. On my way home, I plugged the PND back into the AVN2210p; nothing strange about it as the TomTom was off (as expected). I plugged the USB key back in and listened to the MP3 all the way home. Since I park in a secure garage, I left the TomTom in the AVN2210p, but took the USB key to my computer to make some property changes. When I came back to the garage about 15 minutes later, the TomTom was on and the low battery indicator was flashing. I imagine this indicates that the PND was on for the 5 hours that I was in the bar (or at least long enough to run the battery out).

I experimented with ejecting the key and leaving it in before turning the car off. The only workaround I found was to power down the AVN2210p before turning the key off.

I just checked the USB key and there is a ttgo.bif file on the key. This probably was created when TomTom Home saw the plugged in key and thought it was a PND...

TomTom Eclipse
    Device: AK9AL D2KV2
    App 6.551 (7842/040301) OS:1000
    32 MB RAM (free: 32.0 MB)
    GPS v1.21, Boot 1.12
    Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v665.1293
    Language: English US

USB Key: Corsair Padlock, 2GB
  • I am beginning to think that this was rushed out to be first on the market and wasn't researched and tested very well.

I have to say that I still haven't had a problem with V6.550 and, until a few days ago, I regularly used the USB function.
  • The only workaround I found was to power down the AVN2210p before turning the key off.
    Just to clear up misleading information. This worked for me once. I have not been able to replicate the workaround since. The dang thing gets a mind of its own when you play a USB MP3. Hmm, maybe that's it, maybe USB MP3s inject the TomTom with life and it's trying to let us know it's self-aware. "I'm here! Stop turning me OFF!" j/k

I have submitted the issue to techsupport@lao.ten.fujitsu.com and ask that others do the same so that Fujitsu Ten knows that this isn't an isolated incident.

I am also starting to wonder if this could be the reason the iPC-107p cable is delayed. Perhaps they experienced a similar issue when disconnecting the iPod. Hopefully, that means they are waiting on a firmware fix before releasing the cable.
  • I am also starting to wonder if this could be the reason the iPC-107p cable is delayed. Perhaps they experienced a similar issue when disconnecting the iPod. Hopefully, that means they are waiting on a firmware fix before releasing the cable.
    Not sure about that, the TOMTOM / IPOD cable works (within the limits discussed elsewhere) perfectly and I'd guess that the audio and control part of the IPC-107p will be the same.
  • No solution yet, just an update. Here are the responses I got from Fujitsu Ten:
    I've run my TomTom/AVN2210p without issue since purchase (11/13/2007). Today, I listened to my first USB (Corsair Padlock) MP3 while driving to a bar after work. After I parked, I undocked the PND and put it in my pocket. On my way home, I plugged the PND back into the AVN2210p; nothing strange about it as the TomTom was off (as expected). I plugged the USB key back in and listened to the MP3 all the way home. Since I park in a secure garage at home, I left the TomTom in the AVN2210p, but took the USB key to my computer to make some property changes. When I came back to the garage about 15 minutes later, the TomTom was on and the low battery indicator was flashing. I imagine this indicates that the PND was on for the 5 hours that I was in the bar (or at least long enough to run the battery out).

I experimented with ejecting the key and leaving it in before turning the car off. In each case, about 30 seconds after vehicle key removal, the TomTom went through a 'cold' boot and remained. The only workaround I found was to power down the AVN2210p before turning the key off.

I just checked the USB key and there is a ttgo.bif file on the key. This probably was created when TomTom Home saw the plugged in key and thought it was a PND...

TomTom Eclipse
    Device: AK9AL D2KV2
    App 6.551 (7842/040301) OS:1000
    32 MB RAM (free: 32.0 MB)
    GPS v1.21, Boot 1.12
    Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v665.1293
    Language: English US

USB Key: Corsair Padlock, 2GB
    Thank you for contacting Eclipse;

When un-dock the the Tom Tom from the unit did you press the grey button on the top of the unit before you put in your pocket does not turn off goes in a stand-by mode try that. When you undock the Tom Tom it only has a hour of charge to it when it is not in its dock.

Tech support
    Hello!
    I have tried depressing the grey button on the TomTom when it is undocked. It does turn off, but then, more than half the time (3 times out of 4), it turns itself back on after 30 seconds. I have also tried to hold the grey button down until it powers completely down. This sporadically works (2 times out of 4). As it stands now, I have to power it down several times, each time waiting 30+ seconds to see if it comes back on. After about 3 rounds of this, it does eventually stay off.

Thanks for your response and assistance
    Thank you for contacting Eclipse:

Please contact Eclipse at 1(800)233-2216 between 8:30am-5:00pm Pacific / standard time so we can discuss easier
    and in more detail.

Tech support
    I will call them tonight, but my hopes are not high. I don't know how much more clear I can make this on the phone...
  • Rob 0 Points
    I am guessing this is more a Tomtom issue, so they would just have to then talk to Tomtom about this.

Did yours come with 6.551 stock? Mine had 6.550 and I have copies of 6.552 and 6.553 from Tomtom, but never saw a 6.551. Was all that info from inside the tomtom using show version or elsewhere?
  • All the information I found was in the "Show Version" applet.

I don't know if it came with 6.551 stock as I didn't pay attention to the version when I first plugged it into TomTom Home. Although, the day after I posted my specs, my device updated to 6.553. I believe this happened when I downloaded version 2.1 of Home from the TomTom website.
  • Rob 0 Points
    Odd. Mine states 61MB of RAM and the Boot is 5.30