This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin keeps wanting to take me off Express lanes? Why?

I hope that someone can help me with this problem?

I live in Toronto and regularly drive on the 401 series highways which have both express lanes and regular collector lanes. Now here's the problem: everytime I decide to drive on the express lanes, my 255w ALWAYS tells me to leave the express lanes and go onto the collectors AT EVERY SINGLE express lane exit.

It doesn't matter what traffic conditions are like or that the express lanes might be faster, without fail my gps will annoyingly tell me to exit express lanes and go onto the collector lanes every single time an exit comes up. Is this a normal thing for all Garmin gps when it comes to express lanes? Because if I were travelling in an unfamiliar area, I'd probably follow my gps' directions. So is there anyway to get my Garmin to stop this behavior? :?

Comments

• Check your "Avoidances". See if "Restricted Lanes" is checked (then uncheck).

I think by default, traffic, restricted lanes, and u-turns are checked.
  • The avoidances I have on are U-turns, toll roads, unpaved roads and carpool lanes, although having just unchecked carpool lanes, the route it gives me when I want to drive on the highway is still on the collectors rather than express lanes.

Also don't see any 'restricted lanes' option in the avoidances.
  • Sorry - I didn't have the unit in front of me. I meant Carpool lanes. Sorry it didn't work! :(
  • BruceMcK 181 Points
    I have noticed the same thing. I suspect that it is because the collectors are shorter (even if by an infinitesimal amount). Therefore with Shorter Distance or Faster Time selected in Route Preference the Garmin directs you onto the collectors because it is shorter, therefore faster since the speed is the same on both.

Even the slight extra distance moving from the on ramp over 4 lanes to the express, then back 4 lanes to the off ramp would add a couple of seconds to using the express lanes. The mapping software is probably not sophisticated enough to recognize the collectors as faster because there are less exits to slow down traffic.

The above is a sheer guess on my part.

If I want the express lanes I just use them, and ignore what the Garmin says. Another alternative would be to add via points on each section of the express lanes.
  • dhn 336 Points
    To John:

The reality is that you can get to where you are going using just the collector lanes rather than the express and I think you got the answer, the unit considering the collector lanes being a shorter route.

Besides, as we both know, referring to either the express or collectors as 'faster' regarding the 401 is somewhat of a misnomer most times anyway.. :lol:
  • telemike 5 Points
    Too bad Garmin doesn't have a "Mostly Freeways" routing like my Magellan 1440

Shortest
    Fastest
    Mostly Freeways
    Avoid Freeways
  • gatorguy 328 Points
    In this particular case I don't think "mostly freeways" would make any difference. :)
  • To John:

The reality is that you can get to where you are going using just the collector lanes rather than the express and I think you got the answer, the unit considering the collector lanes being a shorter route.

Besides, as we both know, referring to either the express or collectors as 'faster' regarding the 401 is somewhat of a misnomer most times anyway.. :lol:
    I agree with you on the 401 comment mostly. :)

Regarding the collectors vs express lanes, I don't know if there's any difference in distance really. And even if there is a slight difference, I just wish it would figure it out that maybe I would like to stay in the express lanes and stop telling me at least a couple of times every single exit to get off the express lanes. :evil:
  • BruceMcK 181 Points
    edited April 2010
    John if you want to have some fun and really confuse the GPS plot a route along the Gardiner eastbound from Spadina. Then take the next ramp down to Lakeshore Blvd at Simcoe or York Street. See how long it takes your Garmin to figure out that you are not up on the Gardiner any more. :twisted:

For those that don't know Toronto, the Gardiner is an elevated highway that runs above Lakeshore Boulevard in places.
  • mmsstar 96 Points
    You will sometines experience the same thing when exiting to a service road.
  • alkenber 81 Points
    For some reason the Nuvi's (at least my 755) likes the collector lanes better than the express everywhere around Toronto. It was truing to get me off the express on the gardiner, the 427 and the 401. I just ignore it.
  • Just guessing, but my thoughts on it are more to do with the rules of the road - "Keep right except to pass", and NAVTEQ/Garmin don't realize the express lanes are driving lanes. I'd bet it always keeps as far right as possible.

FWIW, a long time ago I did what was suggested a few replies back and entered waypoints all along the 401 and 427 express lanes that I build into my routes.
  • Thank you very much for your answer.
    Solved my problem :)
    I just registered here to thank you :)

Check your "Avoidances". See if "Restricted Lanes" is checked (then uncheck).

I think by default, traffic, restricted lanes, and u-turns are checked.

• alanb 557 Points
    edited August 2015
    comment deleted .... just noticed this is a 5 year old thread.
  • SergZak 341 Points
    Alan, I think there's a badge here for that...
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Yousefman should get it. He resurrected it. Too bad a 5 year old problem still exists, but then so does the solution for the most part. I'd venture to say we've all encountered these anomalies from time to time.
  • Boyd 2035 Points
    edited August 2015
    Spyder63 said:

Yousefman should get it. He resurrected it.

He got it.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/badges/detail/12/nercobump

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

• mmsstar 96 Points
    :))
  • alanb 557 Points
    edited August 2015
    I actually earned this badge before this post X(

But it was because I posted a correction to Tim's sticky about the Garmin map release dates. ... so I plead innocent and expect no sympathy. :)
  • SergZak 341 Points
    edited August 2015
    You're good Alan. :)

However, with my recent track record in forums and having a 9 year old going through this new "Common Core" teaching method (which is pretty ridiculous, especially if you graduated high school in 1980 and that was the last of your formal schooling), my brain is like styrofoam...thank God for the internet.

I'll probably get that badge and not even know it. :-<
  • Tim 1500 Points
    I actually think there is some good to be achieved bumping old posts. Sure, there is a good chance the original poster might not receive the reply, and that isn't good. But on the other hand it can serve as a little reminder to people who haven't visited in a long time that we are still here.