Need list of units that have AV inputs for backup cam
  • Tomblvd
    For some reason I cannot seem to find a list of the Garmin, Tomtom, and Magellan products that have an A/V input I could us to attach a backup camera.

I've spent the better part of a day and can't seem to get any consistent info.

The best unit I can find seems to be the Garmin nüvi 5000. But I'd like to see exactly what options I have.

Thanks in advance.
  • Boyd
    The Nuvi 5000 is discontinued, but it has a camera input. The Nuvi 8x0 series, also discontinued, has the same feature. I believe the Nuvi 8x5 series is the same. I think these are the only Garmin models with camera inputs.

The Magellan RoadMate 1700 was advertised as accepting video input (which would be nice on the 7" screen), but it doesn't work. I have one of these, and you get an intermittent, broken up image. I saw a post from somebody who contacted Magellan about this, and they acknowledged the problem but did not promise a fix IIRC. You could ask this question in our Magellan forums if you want more info.
  • mrprez
    I too have been searching for the same item. The Garmins mentioned if the same as the one I ordered and returned require an additional purchase of several hundred dollars worth of accessories in order to work. The Magellans however can be hooked up to any 1/8 " camera connection. I would like one with 5" screen but all I can find are 7". Search for Magellan safety gps'.There are several models but I'm unsure of the differences.
  • Boyd
    The Nuvi 5000 has a 5" screen and doesn't require the purchase of anything else. It has an 1/8" A/V input on the side of the cradle (which is included). I don't know if you can still find a vendor with new ones in stock however.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164&pID=11547

Naturally, you will have to provide your own backup camera.
  • ddabcd277
    nuvi 1490TV also has an A/V input and AFAIK is not dicontinued:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=68763
  • Boyd
    But unfortunately it isn't available in the US...
  • ddabcd277
    Didn't know that. Strange the model can also be seen in the USA page of Garmin. Infact the unit is not a big deal as it only supports MPEG 2 for TV.
  • Boyd
    The link you posted was to the US site, but it shows the category as "previous models". Actually, I have never even seen that category before - old models are normally listed as "discontinued".

But I don't think there's any way to navigate to that page from Garmin's US site. This is the automotive product page and it's not listed there:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

Garmin has introduced a couple TV models in the EU. But my understanding is that they use a broadcast TV standard that is not supported here in the US.

There were rumors of a new model for the US supporting TV, but I don't think it ever hit the market. I could be wrong though, maybe somebody else has more info?
  • I was looking at Amazon reviews about GPS units and saw someone post a review about a unit that he was using for a backup camera--he said that he had to change the wiring for the unit because it used something not compatible--
    I did not get it but you would if you know enough to mount a camera and hook it up--
    search Amazon for GPS and camera input and you will probably get it--
    it was made more as a comment to some one's review vs the review itself if that helps

he said it was working great once he changed the wiring
    think it was the 7 inch model so it may be been Magellen
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!