This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 3700 Series Announced

Comments

• navxguy 0 Points
    My experience with TrafficPatterns is that it will adjust routes and route ETAs, but not by nearly enough. In other words if you look at the 405 in Los Angeles during rush hour when it is a stop and go parking lot for dozens of miles... it might estimate 59 mph instead of the non-traffic 65mph when traffic is always flowing at around 15-20mph.

In other words there just isn't enough data (from what I've seen) to really analyze what it is doing.
    just a quick sidebar ... from your experience, how does IQ Routes differ? ... do they get down to the 15-20mph during rush hour, if that in fact is the consistent real flow data?
  • caryrae 92 Points
    gpspassion got his hands on a new Nuvi and has a video on youtube showing a little of it. I like how they made it like the other newer Nuvis where you can have the 4 info boxes on the right side and on bottom when you flip it.

From gpspassion
    I went to the nuvi 37xx launch in Paris today, and although I must admit I had my doubts when it was announced in April, after using it for a few minutes, it's safe to say this new nuvi is all that it's cracked up to be and more! Faster, brighter, lighter for a start.

The hardware has a definite "wow" factor, think a thinner iPhone with a larger screen, hence it's nickname "the blade". I'll be working on a full picture report for tomorrow but in the meantime here is a video showing the vastly improved map scrolling with a pinching/expanding multi-touch stress test:

• gatorguy 326 Points
    This was a surprise from their EU press event today: Garmin is not using Navteq's Traffic Patterns, but instead have been doing their own crowd-sourcing under the radar. Apparently the effort began late last year, with our nuvis uploading data whenever owners have connected for firmware and/or map updates, or in the case of the 1690's, via the two-way connectivity of the the cell connection. It's not that Garmin has no intention of using Navteq's data. Acccording to them, an agreement just hasn't been settled on. I imagine Garmin expects something of value from Navteq in exchange for probably some pretty good North American travel data in an area of the world where Nokia isn't a market force. At some point I'd expect Garmin's data to be bundled with Nokia/Navteq's. In the meantime it will be very interesting to see just how much data/coverage Garmin has managed to put together on their own.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I always *knew* they were spying on me! :lol:
  • darrengsaw 0 Points
    That is interesting indeed.

Probably better in North America than here in Europe where TomTom predominates.

I'm not sure but I think Traffic Patterns is limited only to Tmc coded roads which, unlike IQ routes is a bit of a disadvantage if that is true bearing in mind the smallish percentage of roads that are coded like this. Whether the Garmin data is also location coded in this way would be interesting to know.

I wonder how Garmin tie the data in, it's obviously not a part of the map data which could mean that newer data could reach the device sooner than that tied to a map update that is based on data several or even many months old.
  • mvl 191 Points
    just a quick sidebar ... from your experience, how does IQ Routes differ? ... do they get down to the 15-20mph during rush hour, if that in fact is the consistent real flow data?
    Tomtom IQroutes goes down to about 15mph during rush hour. It doesn't go down below that, which is my major gripe since actual Boston traffic goes down to about 3mph on major sidestreets.

Above 15mph, IQroutes is near perfect (when traffic is predictable) everywhere I've been.

I'm hoping Garmin eventually gets to this level of accuracy in the upcoming months/year. Tomtom's been removing features from their high-end segment in the US for the past few years, but I've been stuck with Tomtom because historical traffic makes routing so good. Garmin competition with good historical traffic would be a good thing for consumer choice.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    thanks mvl ... as a long time Garmin owner, i've been using the TT app for a week and find the historical flow data great for routing. i just wonder whether Garmin's first release will be close to the quality of TTs. i guess you gotta start somewhere; and it's about time. :wink:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    The YouTube video shows a very responsive screen, with pinch-zoom showing little if any lag. This one's looking even better to me now.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Looking good to me here as well. This is one unit I'm actually looking forward to...the 1690 has lost my interest along with others that I know. Hopefully the 37xx will be a truly worthwhile unit.

I'm also liking the "speaker in the mount" which will hopefully make the unit more audible in louder cars. Off the mount and indoor use typically does not require that loud of a unit...this is all fine with me & is a great idea to keep the unit very thin and pocket-able.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    I'm also liking the "speaker in the mount" which will hopefully make the unit more audible in louder cars.
    hopefully they're learning from TT and Magellan's iPhone car kit user feedback ... cause both missed the mark on this (in 'louder' cars)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Apparently the effort began late last year, with our nuvis uploading data whenever owners have connected for firmware and/or map updates
    Thinking about this some more... it would seem to explain something I've wondered about for awhile. You can't turn off the recording of your track on the Nuvi. Perhaps that is so they can gather as much data as possible from your unit.

It is probably also responsible for part of the time required to download a map update.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Saw the 3790t for $390 at provantage.com

http://www.provantage.com/garmin-010-00858-20~4GRML04T.htm
  • navxguy 0 Points
    Apparently the effort began late last year, with our nuvis uploading data whenever owners have connected for firmware and/or map updates

Thinking about this some more... it would seem to explain something I've wondered about for awhile. You can't turn off the recording of your track on the Nuvi. Perhaps that is so they can gather as much data as possible from your unit.
    hmmm, maybe the 1.GPX file that keeps appearing in the Archive folder? ... too bad they left such a small amount of disk space on many of the units; that file is being deleted to free up space :?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    The 37xx series Owner's Manual has been posted:

http://www.garmin.com/manuals/nuvi3750_OwnersManual.pdf
  • The manual for the 37xx series is now available.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/nuvi3750_OwnersManual.pdf

Having a quick look through it does appear that we would be able to alter the map theme/colours etc.

Having looked at some of the youtube videos it appears one thing of annoyance to the nuvi community has been rectified, as you zoom in it seems all street names are included.

I guess the official line of 'we don't want to clutter the screen' etc has suddenly gone by the wayside now they have finally decided to put a decent processor in it!!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I believe you hit that one out of the park Tim, I found this on the garmin website after seeing your write up:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=63940&ra=true

"With trafficTrends, your nüvi 3790T automatically learns daytime trends for traffic flow to improve your routes and better predict your estimated time of arrival based on time of day and day of week. And you get free trafficTrends™ updates every time you connect your device to myGarmin."
    Here's something interesting. If you go to the link that was posted above now, the language has been changed. The sentence shown in boldface type above is no longer there. This is all it says now:
    With trafficTrends, your nüvi 3790T automatically learns daytime trends for traffic flow to improve your routes and better predict your estimated time of arrival based on time of day and day of week.
  • alanb 539 Points
    So does that mean that the "vaporware" just vaporized?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    That is interesting. Looks like MyTrends is still a feature in any case, but perhaps not being updated on your device when connected to MyGarmin? Or maybe nothing at all changed. We'll know more within another 30-60 days or so.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Maybe even sooner... elsewhere I read that 3760 has started shipping in the UK.
  • ChuckinSC 0 Points
    I just ordered the 3790T from ProVantage for $390 plus about $8 for shipping. This is the first time I've used this company - hope the reviews I've read online about ProVantage are correct and that I'll be happy with the purchase. It shows the unit will be shipped directly from Garmin.
  • I believe you hit that one out of the park Tim, I found this on the garmin website after seeing your write up:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=63940&ra=true

"With trafficTrends, your nüvi 3790T automatically learns daytime trends for traffic flow to improve your routes and better predict your estimated time of arrival based on time of day and day of week. And you get free trafficTrends™ updates every time you connect your device to myGarmin."

Here's something interesting. If you go to the link that was posted above now, the language has been changed. The sentence shown in
    boldface type above is no longer there. This is all it says now:
    With trafficTrends, your nüvi 3790T automatically learns daytime trends for traffic flow to improve your routes and better predict your estimated time of arrival based on time of day and day of week.

I checked the Australian version of the webpage, and this still shows the missing text about getting updates for traffic trends when you connect.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=63940
  • Hot on the heels of the 3760t, it's big brother the 3790t is now available here in the UK too.

As we aren't scheduled to get the 3750 that's the 37xx covered here now.

Looking forward to hearing some reviews.

http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/garmin-nuvi-3790t-i23722.html
  • ChuckinSC 0 Points
    Isn't Garmin headquartered in the U.S.? If so, why would the product be introduced in another country before the U.S.? Thanks.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Technically headquartered in Switzerland now, but yes they're considered a US company by most with their decision-makers in Olathe, KS

It is very unusual to see these first released in Europe. My guess is to beat TomTom's new 1000 series to market and getting better press coverage as a result. I'm interested to see how the comparison's pan out.
  • sav 0 Points
    Technically headquartered in Switzerland now, but yes they're considered a US company by most with their decision-makers in Olathe, KS
    They only changed the place of incorporation from Cayman Islands to Switzerland, but according to their website, the company's world headquarters is still in Olathe, KS.
  • It appears the 37xx uses a new TMC traffic cable, the GTM 35.
  • Does anyone know if this unit has a clock on the map screen? This has always been an annoyance I've had with Garmin units.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Do we know for sure when this is gonna be sold in the U.S.? Have seen a couple dates for first 2 weeks of July and other websites don't have dates. There is a really good review and pics on gpspassion website for the 3790t.
  • mshoo1 0 Points
    Engadget has posted a review of the 3790t.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/16/garmin-nuvi-3790t-review/
  • caryrae 92 Points
    This is what Garmin told me in an e-mail about the 3790t.
    Thank you for contacting Garmin International. You will start to see the device in stores in the end of June. I apologize, but the date may vary depending on the stores locations and their distributors. I would count on sometime around June 28th or so.
  • t923347 432 Points
    I've had my 3790 for a week now. All the web based dealers, including Amazon, have them available in North America. Not sure about the "brick and mortar" stores.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just ordered a 3790t myself and will be posting my impressions here towards the end of the week. But just a couple quick observations, based on what I've seen and read so far:

* In spite of storing 100 routes on the device, it is not compatible with route planning on your computer using Mapsource, Basecamp or other software. Evidently this was intentional; Garmin didn't feel that users wanted the feature. They may add the capability in a future firmware upgrade.

* Multi-point routing is handled differently than other Nuvi's. It treats each via point as though it were a separate route and only shows the distance and arrival time to that via instead of the final destination. After passing a via, it then treats the next one similarly. This might be either good or bad, depending on what you need.

* It has the largest memory of any Nuvi - 8GB. The file containing terrain and 3d building data is evidently as large as the entire City Navigator Map on other Nuvi's, so evidently the extra space is to accomodate more of the same in future updates.

* Apparently only the 3790t supports the 3d shaded terrain views and not the other 3700's. Unclear whether this is just due to the lack of the needed data file or something else.

* The screenshots which have been posted imply that these new models show more street names than any of the other Nuvi's, so maybe Garmin really is listening to complaints about the newer models?

* These models use a new style USB connector on the computer cable, so you must use the one that is included.

Stay tuned, more to follow! :)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    * Multi-point routing is handled differently than other Nuvi's. It treats each via point as though it were a separate route and only shows the distance and arrival time to that via instead of the final destination. After passing a via, it then treats the next one similarly. This might be either good or bad, depending on what you need. :)
    That actually makes sense for the way I use multipoint routing. I use it for sales calls and deliveries. As such, I'm more concerned about when I'll arrive at the next stop. Realtors showing homes, those using it for garage sales, newspaper routes, pizza delivery? They'll also benefit from the way stats are shown on the 3700's IMO. Truckers, RV drivers, or summer vacation drives using forced vias are better served by the way route travel times are shown now on the rest of the nuvi line. But if you can still browse the route detail and see the total trip time and arrival, the 37xx's may still have a better overall way of presenting travel stats than what is currently done.

Looking forward to your thoughts Boyd.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    True - in fact I recall a couple threads here where users complained that you weren't able to display the time/distance to the next via on the main screen. Of course, the addition of a simple preference setting could give us the best of both worlds.
  • pilotart 0 Points
    <...>* In spite of storing 100 routes on the device, it is not compatible with route planning on your computer using Mapsource, Basecamp or other software. Evidently this was intentional; Garmin didn't feel that users wanted the feature. They may add the capability in a future firmware upgrade.
    It should be mentioned that the same source of this information also said:
    "...Is nüvi 37xx series the latest series we have launched? Yes.
    Do this (per automatics) make it as the new top model? No.
    Our current top model pt. 1690, launched last autumn. 37xx series is a mid-range (this is called the manifest) series, ie. it is not our less expensive but also not the most expensive, and thus before it provides functions - not all, conversely it is not completely stripped. ..."
    Hard to believe that the Route Download Fault won't be fixed by the first Firmware Flash and just can't buy that it was intentional, perhaps an incompatability with nuRoute or something.
  • ifse 0 Points
    Just ordered a 3790t myself and will be posting my impressions here towards the end of the week.
    Looking forward to your review. My GPS has been acting up lately, and I've been holding off buying a replacement until I can check out this 3700 series.
    In spite of storing 100 routes on the device, it is not compatible with route planning on your computer using Mapsource, Basecamp or other software. Evidently this was intentional; Garmin didn't feel that users wanted the feature. They may add the capability in a future firmware upgrade.
    I hope it accepts routes from Google Maps or Mapquest.
  • alanb 539 Points
    ifse, even if Garmin adds the route import function to the 37xx, it is unlikely it will import routes from Google maps. The restriction seems to be imposed by Google rather than Garmin ... Google could easily generate a GPX file with route point tags rather than just transferring the destination as a Favorite, but they choose not to support this function.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    It should be mentioned that the same source of this information also said:
    "...Is nüvi 37xx series the latest series we have launched? Yes.
    Do this (per automatics) make it as the new top model? No.
    Our current top model pt. 1690, launched last autumn. 37xx series is a mid-range (this is called the manifest) series, ie. it is not our less expensive but also not the most expensive, and thus before it provides functions - not all, conversely it is not completely stripped. ..."
    That quote, which was attributed to the head of Garmin in an EU country (and translated by Google), sounds a bit fishy to me. Do you think he even looked at the company's own press release when the 3700 series was announced? It clearly states that the 3790 is their "flagship model"

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2010/04/garmin-nüvi-3700-series-redefines-look-and-feel-of-personal-navigation-.html?activeBranchId=newsroom

"Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced the nüvi 3700 series, setting new standards for design, features and ease of use in personal navigation devices."

and

"Garmin’s nü flagship: nüvi 3790T
    • With a customizable “wake-up phrase” to initiate voice-activated navigation, nüvi 3790T lets you tell it what to do and where to go while you keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road.
    • And the road ahead never looked so realistic, thanks to the unprecedented details of 3D terrain and 3D buildings. Whether you’re heading for rolling hills or urban canyons, the shaded topography and realistic landmarks provide unrivaled context and enhanced situational awareness. "

I realize that it isn't a connected device, but aside from that, it appears substantially ahead of the 1690, and maybe the EU price structure is different, but in the US the 3790t is the most expensive Nuvi listed on Garmin's site.
  • ifse 0 Points
    ifse, even if Garmin adds the route import function to the 37xx, it is unlikely it will import routes from Google maps. The restriction seems to be imposed by Google rather than Garmin ... Google could easily generate a GPX file with route point tags rather than just transferring the destination as a Favorite, but they choose not to support this function.
    Thank you. That's too bad. That's the one feature I was hoping to have the most when I upgrade.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Hard to believe that the Route Download Fault won't be fixed by the first Firmware Flash and just can't buy that it was intentional, perhaps an incompatability with nuRoute or something.
    I agree - although I'm not sure it will appear in the first update. I suspect that they will be more focused on fixing the inevitable bugs in a new model as opposed to adding features.

But, since you quoted part of the source for this above, you might as well quote the remainder. That's what what I was referencing originally (although I still think it sounds a bit fishy):

"It is true that there can not be transferred routes to 37xx series at this time, since this feature is not supported. It was debated during the development of the model there was a need for this and it was opted out - but it was impressed by was that the users desire this feature would be added via a future firmware update.

So if you can get members of GU - have a 37xx series, and want this feature - to make a list of users on my.garmin, so we are facing our development department can demonstrate that users have purchased the device, we can put pressure on them to get this feature added."

Note: thanks to user Moyez at GPSPassion for posting this quote, originally from a forum in Denmark. Here's link to the Google translation:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&amp;prev=_t&amp;hl=en&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;layout=1&amp;eotf=1&amp;u=http://garmin-user.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3415&get=last#21265&amp;sl=da&amp;tl=en
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Does anyone know if the 3750 includes the speaker in the mount like the 3760t and 3790t? I thought I read early on that it would not include the active speaker mount, but on Garmin's website, it shows that it includes the active speaker mount.

Also, can anyone with one of these confirm that the map panning is not flaky like the 1490T? What I mean is, on the 1490T, when you are panning to the right and lift your finger up, the map may suddenly jump far to the left, up or down kind of randomly? This drives me crazy and is something that I would upgrade to a 3750 for if it finally works as intended.

Bryan
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The 1350 has the same problem you describe. They tried to make it "iPhone-like" but didn't get it quite right. I am *hoping* this has been corrected on the 3700 series...
  • t923347 432 Points
    I have had my 3790T for a week now and can confirm that the map panning issue is rock solid compared to my 1490. In addition, 360 degree aerial view panning has been added.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just got the 3790t and here are some quick first impressions "right out of the box"... will be following up over the next few days with more.

The box from Amazon was smaller than I expected. Not a lot of cushioning in there, but not a very big product either! It is indeed really slim.

First picking it up, frankly it felt lighter and cheaper than I expected. They did a really good job of making it look like an iPhone, but it sure doesn't feel like one. It is a hunk of plastic. The screen is plastic, not glass, which probably accounts for most of the different feel as well as light weight.

The good thing is, it's small and light - good for carrying around. With some kind of protective cover, it just might be a nice handheld (although lacking some advanced menu functions).

The screen is just beautiful though. Very bright and readable from a wide angle.

It has the standard nuvi beep! when to tap anything. Somehow, that makes it seem kind of cheap also. I always mute my Nuvi's, so I don't really care.

Used Mapsource to send my own topo map and a chunk of US Topo 2008 as well as my collection of ~400 favorites. Transfer was very fast and no issues.

We've all seen screenshots of the City Navigator maps already - and they look very nice - but I was really interested in how it renders both my own and Garmin's topo... and a little apprehensive. But they look nothing short of spectacular IMO. Will post a few screenshots soon.

The really significant thing about this unit IMO is that it's the first GPS of any kind from Garmin that does true three dimensional map rendering. It is not "pseudo 3d" like all the other Nuvi's and it is not the terrible pixellated little 3d views you can get on the Oregon.

This is actually the map wrapped around the three dimensional elevation data. And everything is subjected to the 3d transfer including text, roads, etc. So text gets smaller as it vanishes in the distance, roads get narrower. Towards the horizon, objects get so small that they just vanish in a "haze". And you can rotate the view through 360 degrees. Very impressive - this hardware/software is in a whole new league.

US Topo contains its own elevation data and looks very nice on the screen. Since my own map has no elevation data (there are no 3rd party tools to create this kind of map), I enabled it along with the pre-loaded DEM (Digital Elevation Model) map - this is done through the map setting screen.

It looked really nice in 3d mode, again due to the fact that it is rendered as a 3d model instead of a pseudo 3d display.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and I will try to post a few quick ones later this evening. I won't get a chance for road tests until tomorrow, but (being a map freak :) ) I am really impressed with the way this unit renders maps - and yes, it also shows a lot of street names and uses a small enough font that they don't clutter the screen.

More to follow...
  • SergZak 340 Points
    The screen is plastic, not glass, which probably accounts for most of the different feel as well as light weight.
    Hmmm...not one to argue but everything I've ever read about the unit states that the screen is glass, including Garmin's own descriptions:

"Display type: glass, dual-orietation, WVGA color TFT with white backlight"

"The new nüvi is less than 9 mm thick, about the same as a standard #2 pencil. It has a full glass 4.3” diagonal multi-touch display"
  • ifse 0 Points
    Thanks for the quick review. Can you also comment on the USB connector? I dread having to carry around yet another cable when I travel.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Sergey - OK, you are right. That was just my initial impression, probably because it feels rather hollow. I have them side by side now, and I guess the best way to put it is that the iPhone feels denser. But the difference isn't as great as I thought before direct comparison - sorry to be misleading.

ifse - It uses a micro USB connector for the computer. Like other models, the supplied cord is REALLY short - perhaps 18"? I have a tower computer sitting on a box under my table, with USB ports on the face. The cord just barely reaches up to the tabletop when connected to the Nuvi. That tiny USB connector also has kind of a cheap feeling to me.

The cradle is also pretty lightweight - although fine for what it does. It uses the same traffic cable as the Nuvi series that are USB powered. So the *cradle* has a standard mini USB connector. I used my Radio Shack Universal GPS USB power supply plugged into the cradle in the house, since it has a long cable on it. Works fine. I don't know if it will work in data mode using a standard mini USB cable connected to the cradle instead of the GPS. Will give that a try later.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Here are some screenshots of various things. First - menus. They have moved the map settings around to a curious place. Pressing Menu > Tools >Settings takes you here:

The myMaps icon just gives you a list of installed maps, like pressing Menu > Tools > Settings > Map > Map info on other Nuvi's

But the other map settings are buried deeper: Menu > Tools > Settings > Navigation > Automobile gives you this:

The other option, Menu > Tools > Settings > Pedestrian only gives 3 choices - Limit Walking, Public Transit and Trip log. I guess pedestrians don't care about map detail, theme, etc? Maybe all of these settings are pre-determined in pedestrian mode? Seems odd...

Oh, by the way ifse, the standard mini USB jack on the cradle does not seem to work with a data cable connected to the computer, only a power supply/traffic receiver.

Also, note that the aspect ratio of the screen is a bit different from the other 4" Nuvi's - it is taller in relation to the width. In fact, the screen is the same width as my 1350 but almost 1/4" taller.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Here are some map screenshots. Note that the 800x480 pixel count makes for big images! I have posted these full size, but the forum software reduces them to about 2/3 size to fit the page.

City Navigator in downtown Philadelphia

US Topo 2008 (with self-contained DEM data)

My map of New Jersey - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/ - this is shown with the pre-loaded DEM data also enabled.

I am very happy with the way this unit renders maps, and its responsiveness when dragging/zooming - even in 3d mode. I did have one crash while browsing downtown philadelphia with 3d buildings. And in a few other cases, the screen was not properly updated when dragging the map. But this was using my own topo map which has a LOT of detail.

We'll see how it performs on the road tomorrow... will post more screenshots in the evening.
  • ifse 0 Points
    So tempted. I like the perspective used in the 3D shot.