This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 3700 Series Announced

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    edited July 2010
    I haven't had a chance to experiment with this yet, and very little seems to have been written about "map themes" on these new models. Out of the box, you can choose different countries as your theme, and this changes various things.

Well, it turns out that we can create our own themes pretty easily (although I haven't tried yet). The themes are stored in the \Themes\Map folder (this also makes me wonder whether other interface items can have themes as well, since "Map" is a subfolder).

The files have .kmtf extensions and are pretty straightforward XML which can be viewed/edited with a text editor. Anyone familiar with HTML/XML should be able to easily understand the syntax. Here's a portion of the UK theme for example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<GARMIN_MAP_THEME>
    <METADATA>
    <TITLE>United Kingdom</TITLE>
    <DESCRIPTION>Theme for United Kingdom.</DESCRIPTION>
    <LOCALELIST>
    <locale>United Kingdom</locale>
    </LOCALELIST>
    <Version><Major>2</Major><Minor>00</Minor></Version>
    </METADATA>

<PRESENTATION ID="Guidance">

<STYLELIST>

<STYLE field = "MAP_BEACH_CLR" >
    <COLOR >
    <PRIMARY day = "#E8C455" night = "#67491D" />
    </COLOR>
    </STYLE>

<STYLE field = "MAP_BUILDING_CLR" >
    <COLOR >
    <PRIMARY day = "#ECECC4" night = "#26003B" />
    </COLOR>
    </STYLE>

<STYLE field = "MAP_BUILDING_SHADOW_CLR" >
    <COLOR >
    <PRIMARY day = "#C8C8A7" night = "#3B005A" />
    </COLOR>
    </STYLE>

<STYLE field = "MAP_EXTRD_AREA_CLR" >
    <COLOR >
    <PRIMARY day = "#788181" night = "#323F48" />
    </COLOR>
    </STYLE>

So I expect we will start seeing custom map themes available online eventually.... maybe somebody will even write a more user-friendly editor? :)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I have posted these full size, but the forum software reduces them to about 2/3 size to fit the page.
    You can link to the image and still include the image which keeps the on-page image within the page width while still allowing people to view the full size image.

[url=http://stephencreek.com/gpsreview/3790/cn01.jpg]
    [img]http://stephencreek.com/gpsreview/3790/cn01.jpg[/img][/url]
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Tim - I don't think much is lost in the size reduction however. In fact, I have reduced the size of a bunch of screenshots I will post below. It keeps them closer to the size of the physical screen on the 3790. But the 800x480 resolution makes everything looks great in person.

So I went on a trip up to the Delaware Water Gap today and put about 300 miles on the 3790t. Here are some observations.

* I love it! This is the best Nuvi ever IMO, and it really seems as though Garmin has addressed some of the complaints from advanced users.

* I did experience quite a number of crashes on the return trip using the "go home" routing option. I got suspicious that something strange was happening, and wondered if my home waypoint was the culprit since it always crashed at "calculating 99%". My house is way off the road and the waypoint was set to the actual location, not a street address. So instead of using "go home", I found the address of my neighbor's house (on the road), and had no further crashes. Not sure if this was the reason, but it seems plausible.

* Being able to rotate the display to portrait mode is brilliant - something I have longed for. As you will see in the screenshots below, this was primarily how I used the unit. With the beautifully rendered 3d views in this orientation, you can see WAY down the road to your next turn. I never really like 3d view before, but now I think I'm hooked. :)

* You can see your favorites as you drive - up through the 1.2 mile zoom level. This is something Garmin removed from other recent models and I'm really glad to have it back.

* If you zoom in a bit, you will see lots of road names. You also see city names when you zoom out - another complaint from other recent models.

* When you zoom out to the 8 mile scale, the view changes from 3d to 2d. The normal shaded terrain view changes, and there is some low resolution landcover data (forested areas are a nice shade of green... looks nice.

* The voice command feature doesn't do anything for me. There aren't enough commands to be really useful. And it kept getting activated for no apparent reason (a couple times I thought perhaps it was the radio). I tried speaking commands pretty loud and they didn't work. At home, it worked fine in a quiet room. Finally, I disabled it because I got tired of it popping up for no reason.

* I never once saw a junction view, including the NJ Turnpike and I-295

* There is no map scale displayed on the main screen, even in 2d mode. It does show in browse mode however. The map scale has come and gone from the screen on various Nuvi models with various software updates. Hopefully it will reappear on the 3790 in a future update. But there is a North-pointing arrow in 2d track up mode.

* Never got a traffic signal (or wasn't aware if I did) for the 100 miles or so that I used the cable. I also wondered if that might be related to the crashes, so I unplugged it and used the cable from my Nuvi 205.

* Surprisingly, auto-zoom rarely bothered me. Sometimes it zoomed in farther than needed at a turn, but then it snapped right back to where I had set it. Just driving around (not navigating a route), the unit seemed to respect my zoom setting without changing it. I think Garmin may have finally gotten this right.

* The screen is just beautiful. Possibly the brightest Nuvi I have ever seen. The shiny surface is not problem (but looks like a mess with fingerprints when you turn it off). No issues using it with polaroid sunglasses in either Landscape or Portait orientation. Garmin got this right also!

* The small size is great - really easy to stash when you get out of the car, but the screen is actually a bit larger than the other 4" Nuvi's.

* Dragging the map around to "explore" is really fast and responsive - even in 3d mode. This is great - really makes the 3790 a good replacement for paper maps. Much, much faster than any other Nuvi.

* All around, I'm very pleased - but there are still bugs which I'm sure will take awhile to shake out with firmware updates. But considering the price, I wonder how popular this series will be? Perhaps a bit of a niche product? But for those who have long complained about Nuvi shortcomings, this model is certainly worth a close look.

Screenshots will follow...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited July 2010
    The following are all from the pre-installed City Navigator 2011.10 map. Interesting to note - "trafficTrends" is part of the mapset. Full name is:

CN North America NT 2011.10 trafficTrends North America 3.00. There are also two other map files preinstalled - one containing 3d buildings (CN North America NJ 2011.10 3D) and the other containing Digital Elevation Model data (North America DEM). The latter is quite a large file, about 1.3 GB. I *think* this is the same resolution DEM contained in US Topo 100k.

Again - note that the following images have been resized in Photoshop to be closer to the physical size of the 3790 screen.

• Boyd 1985 Points
    edited July 2010
    Here are some topo map screenshots. The first two are from the "New Jersey Topo" by Maps4GPS (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/114/). The pre-installed North America DEM is also enabled.

And the following are from "Boyd's Map of New Jersey/GS Edition" (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/). Based on what I am learning, I will want to make an updated topo specifically for the 3790 and tweak some things to improve the display. The second shot shows the effect of enabling the DEM file at the same time.

• SergZak 340 Points
    Boyd, I know you said that favorites are once again visible on the moving map screen but are their names visible as well? In a couple of screen shots, I see a favorite (blue flag) & there is the name Haneys Mill...is Haneys Mill the name of the blue flag favorite or the name of a point on the map? It looks to be the favorite name but I just wanted to verify. If so, this is the first nuvi since the 7x0 & 8x5 to show the favorite icon along with the name on the moving map...this is a HUGE plus for me and is pushing me much closer to actually purchasing one when they hit Best Buy retail stores.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yep Sergey, the names and icons are both visible. On my 1350, only the icon showed. In this example, Buttermilk Falls, Walpack Inn, Haney's Mill and Old Mine road are all Favorites. They show in both 2d and 3d mode, up through 1.2 miles. It's also cool that the font and icon are scaled in perspective (notice that Walpack is smaller than Haneys).

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Made my first trip to Center City Philadelphia with the 3790 this morning. Will post screenshots this evening (because... I don't have a micro USB cable here in the office :evil: ).

I actually saw my first junction view! It works nicely in portrait mode, taking up the top half of the screen.

Also saw a red light camera alert. I wasn't clear as to whether these were included out of the box or not.

Driving in the city, autozoom pulled in to the limit (the + button was greyed out), and EVERY cross street was shown on the map. In portrait mode with 3d view, this showed quite a number of blocks ahead, even at max zoom.

The 3d buildings only cover the Center City area, but they are visually impressive and don't seem to slow the unit down.

The routing choice was a bit odd though. It wanted to take me off Broad St (major road with 2 lanes each direction) and put me on a side street. Experience has shown that this will not save time (unless there's an accident you need to avoid or something) because of people unloading and pulling in and out of parking spaces on the narrow street. Also odd because it would have taken two blocks East (due to one way streets) when in fact my destination was West of Broad.

But the Nuvi was determined to do this for about 3 miles until I got close to my cross street. I wonder if the "myTrends" feature will learn the way I prefer? I'm still not clear on how that works.
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    My 3750 just came and my first impression is wow, this thing is awesome! Tiny and light with a fantastic screen. It's currently charging, so I haven't really been able to use it much but a few observations for those curious about a 3750.

It has 4GB of internal memory, not the 8GB that the 3790T has (not sure what the 3760T has). Still plenty of room for any future map updates on the unit itself.

It comes with the free trial of the cyclops safety camera alerts. Not sure for how long they are active and how complete they are, but they are there.

Mine came with the latest maps and version 2.20 installed.

It has the tiny mic hole on the front even though it doesn't support bluetooth or voice command. I know it shares the same platform as the 3760T and 3790T, but was surprised that they actually used the identical front face with a mic hole even though it can't be used on this unit.

If anyone has any specific questions on the 3750, let me know.

Bryan
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Cool - thanks for the update. Does it have the same 3d map browser as the 3790t? Like this:

There is some confusion about 3d capabilities in the series, since it only mentions them on the 3790t. I am guessing it's just a software thing related to the map files that are provided however.
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Yes, it has the 3D view just like that. It just doesn't have 3D buildings or 3D terrain.

I went into the diagnostics screen and it has a Bluetooth section. I am not brave enough to try and play with it to see if maybe this model does have bluetooth hardware (I doubt it) that just needs activated. Not a big deal to me, but was surprised to see it there.

I have been playing with it now (in the cradle plugged into USB for charging) and the map panning and zooming etc. is very fast and smooth. Pretty much the opposite of my old 1490T. Also, a ton of map detail (street names) when browsing the map. I am very pleased so far. I will see how it works in the next few days as far as routing goes.

Bryan
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Here area few images to illustrate my earlier post. This is what junction view looks like with the GPS in portrait view. On the right you see a red light camera alert that was pre-loaded on the unit. Now I periodically get a window saying I can order these from Garmin (although it does have a "do not show again" checkbox)

Here's what city driving looks like while navigating a route. Note that we are zoomed in to the max (autozoom) and the (+) button is greyed out. Every cross street is labeled. Tapping the screen puts you in browse mode where EVERY street on the screen is labelled. I believe this is a first for the Nuvi.

Downtown on my route, with 3d buildings and plenty of street names.

On the left - just driving downtown without navigating a route. Almost every cross street is labeled even though we are zoomed back pretty far. Also notice that the next cross street is shown at the top of the screen.I would say that you are looking about a mile down the road in this view. On the right, note there are no street names. I'm not sure... may be a function of my speed. There just may not be enough time to label all the roads and still update everything else. Or maybe the assumption is that I'm on a route, going fast and wouldn't want to make a turn anyway?

• Boyd 1985 Points
    I went into the diagnostics screen and it has a Bluetooth section. I am not brave enough to try and play with it to see if maybe this model does have bluetooth hardware (I doubt it) that just needs activated. Not a big deal to me, but was surprised to see it there.
    Actually, not so surprising. I had a Nuvi 650 4 years ago, and it also had the Bluetooth info in the diagnostics. Didn't do anything because the hardware was not actually there. :)
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Got my 3790 today and am having strange file transferring issues. Transferring Temp.gpx, POI.gpi and other seemingly system related files is not "sticking". I copy the files over but the nuvi does not transfer/load the favorites to the unit for temp.gpx. I rename the default speedcam database file from USCanadaCyclopsSample.gpi to USCanadaCyclopsSample.gpi.disabled (to disable and load my own POI.gpi file from my 765) and on the next reboot and connect to PC, the file is renamed back to USCanadaCyclopsSample.gpi and my POI.gpi file is not there either.

However, I transferred the vehicles from my 765 to the vehicle folder on the 3790 and that is staying along with the unit seeing the vehicles.

Seems as the unit is reverting back to the original files (before I change them) when disconnecting the unit from the PC or on a reboot. It's almost as it the unit is not allowing any kind of system file changes.

Anyone seeing this or have a clue what's going on? I'm on Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I also have a WinXP system which I'm about to try.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Weird. I copied vehicles directly with no problem. But I used Mapsource to send my waypoints. No problem there either. Have you tried that?

Copying the Current.gpx file from the Nuvi to the computer has the expected results. I have not tried copying any .gpx files TO the Nuvi. Maybe they are just not supporting this trick anymore? I don't use any custom POI's, so no help there. I believe speedcam oddities have been discussed on that other site. :)

Maps work fine also with Mapsource. The gmapsupp.img file will appear in the Nuvi's \Map folder. Rename it something descriptive, then send another. I did have one problem that confused me until I realized what I'd done. You can send multiple maps bundled into a single gmapsupp.img file with Mapsource (this is needed on older units). That seems to confuse the 3790. You can individually enable the separate maps in the settings, but they all become enabled by themselves regardless. Solution is to only send one mapset at a time.

Also, we know there are some folder differences in the new models. If you put anything inside .System, I wouldn't be surprised if it got removed. If you put a map (gmapsupp.img) into \Garmin, it will not be recognized on the unit itself, but WILL be recognized on a card.

Could you put your files on a card instead?

BTW - congratulations on the new purchase! 8)
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Thanks Boyd...this is one one unit I absolutely love out of the box.

I tried on the WinXP machine and it seems somewhat OK(?)... The POI file poi.gpi copied over and stayed there and I could then access the POIs/redlight cams from the GPS but I could still not transfer the favorites over. I then hard reset the unit (seems the screen corners+power-on does not work unless I'm doing something wrong...you have to access it through the trip computer speedo press for ~10 seconds) and the favorites then transferred over. Then I deleted the favorites from the GPS itself and tried the transfer again using Win 7 with it again not sticking or working...maybe a Win 7 issue/64-bit issue...I'm no Win 7 expert since I've only used it for two months max. I have the settings to show hidden/system files enabled and have never had this issue with any other external drives...very odd stuff.

If anyone has any idea why Win 7 could/may be causing these issues, I'd appreciate any tips or suggestions.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Thanks Boyd...this is one one unit I absolutely love out of the box.
    One thing that immediately struck me was that the hardware has finally caught up with the software.

Do you think that maybe... maybe... Garmin has taken some of our Nuvi criticisms to heart? Sure seems like it to me. Perhaps this will be the automotive equivalent of the Oregon series, where almost three years after introduction they are still enhancing it with new features? :D
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    I was just coming back to post that I am having issues with copying over my custom poi file as well. I used POILoader to copy the file over, and I can see it on the unit, but when I go to Extras, the nuvi tells me I don't have any loaded. I deleted the cyclops files and they came back. This is acting like the write caching is turned on and the unit is not fully completing the the write/delete operations when I tell Windows to eject it.

I renamed my old current.gpx (from my 1490t) to favs.gpx and copied the file over and the nuvi loaded my favorites no problem.

I am also on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, maybe that's the issue.

When I plugged the unit in after doing this, it did tell me that there were problems on the drive and it wanted to do a scan. It ran and said it fixed it. Now it's doing it each time I plug it in. I'll try the master reset.

Bryan
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    OK - seems that just disconnecting the nuvi rather than ejecting it gets my changes to stick. Not sure why, because my vehicle and voice changes all stuck when I ejected it.

Anyway, just disconnect it and see if that works for you. Seems to be working ok for me now.

Bryan
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Are you using the "safely remove" feature? The error messages about a damaged disk are a little troublesome, I have never seen that on any of my GPS'es.

You might want to do a full backup before messing around too much.. :)
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Boyd - yes, I fully backed up the unit before I did anything with it.

When I use the safely remove feature, that's when I get the prompts and it doesn't save my changes. When I just unplug it, it works ok - it doesn't make any sense. Although, it just did prompt me to scan the disk again. The unit seems to be working ok now otherwise.

Maybe I will start using my XP laptop and see what that does.

Bryan
  • SergZak 340 Points
    OK - seems that just disconnecting the nuvi rather than ejecting it gets my changes to stick. Not sure why, because my vehicle and voice changes all stuck when I ejected it.

Anyway, just disconnect it and see if that works for you. Seems to be working ok for me now.
    *Exactly* the same issue for me in Win 7 64-bit. I *always* safely disconnect as well & this is where the issue seems to lie. As I stated above, and like bacevedo, file transfer of vehicles was fine and other files was fine. No problems in XP Pro (x86) at all. I'll try the "just disconnect" and see if that fixes it for me as well. There must be a setting I'm missing in Win 7, however I have had zero issues with other nuvis like my 765 and the 750/760. Seems to be Win 7/3790T related or some file system setting that's keeping the file system from actually writing data to the nuvi drive.

I also backed everything up prior to fooling with the file system as well...this is always one of my first things to do on a new unit.

Thanks bacevedo for confirming the issue...I thought I was going absolutely nuts here.. :shock:

EDIT:
    Seems the "just disconnect" from the PC method (without safely ejecting the drive) fixes the issue. Now to hunt down the real solution...
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Seems the write cache setting under Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management/nuvi drive/right-click on Properties/Hardware tab/Properties button CANNOT be changed for this drive... :roll:
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Seems the write cache setting under Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management/nuvi drive/right-click on Properties/Hardware tab/Properties button CANNOT be changed for this drive... :roll:
    Yep - same here. I think that is the problem, Windows 7 isn't correctly flushing the cache for this device on eject or the device isn't correclty processing the flush command.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Wow, that is strange - should probably run it past Garmin tech support. I am using Vista 64 and haven't seen any issues like that.... or have I? In fooling around with different mapsets, it seemed as though one I had deleted wouldn't go away at first - I had an interaction between two similar maps of my own. I messed around a bit and then everything was OK. This was late at night and I just assumed I had done something stupid.

But safely removing hardware doesn't give me any errors. Also, this Nuvi mounts really quickly on my computer. Much more so than any of my other Garmin. Maybe that has something to do with caching as well?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    FWIW, on Vista 64 when I select properties > policies > write caching and safe removal, I cannot change the settings either. But this is the same for my Oregon and its memory card as well.
  • romisejo 0 Points
    Guys,

I know one of you had a 1490T, and another a 765T both units that I know.

Can you tell us if the sound is ok on these 37xx units, would appreciate getting your feedback on sound.

Thanks
  • t923347 432 Points
    Although I had no problems transferring my favorites and POI files to the 3790 from the 1490, I have had problems with Windows 7 64Bit with both these devices. When I attempt to "safely remove" them the entry for both are greyed out. That includes both the Nuvi's internal drive and any SD card I may have had inserted in the devices. Of course this forces me to just pull the USB cable out of the Nuvi and from then on I get the message about scanning the drive for errors, everytime I plug them into the PC.

My bet is that it's a problem with Windows 7 as it's now happening on 2 of the newer Nuvi models.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Can you tell us if the sound is ok on these 37xx units, would appreciate getting your feedback on sound.
    Sorry, can't help there because I generally dislike spoken directions and haven't even listened to my 3790. For me, the big attraction is the beautiful screen, fast processor and unique map rendering. But I know that some people mostly rely on voice guidance. The 37x0 series might be a rather pricey option for them.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    A new review of the 3790t was just posted on techradar. They loved it and went on at great length about how great it is with one exception: "We only have one real complaint. Like the Mio Navman 575, the Garmin Nuvi 3790T is afflicted with a horrible robot lady voice who speaks through a surprisingly poor speaker that easily distorts once you crank the volume."
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Just for the heck of it, I connected my 3790 to my netbook which is running Win7 Home Premium. It initially said it was installing device drivers - which seemed odd (but I don't use Win7 much). After that, the nuvi mounted as drive E. I was able to use the "safely remove" icon to select drive E > Eject without problems.

So I tried again. This time, there was no message about installing drivers. I tried copying a picture to the Nuvi, ran Basecamp and exported all my waypoints. Went back to "safely remove", and again no problems.

So this is very strange... guess there is something different in your Win7 Pro 64 version vs. my Win7 Home 32?
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Guys,

Thanks
    I used to have a Quest, nuvi 760 and nuvi 1490T. I now have the 3750.

I finally had it route me home today. I can tell you that hands down, the 1490T has the best sound out of all of the units I have used. It's loud, doesn't distort and sounds more full (i.e. more bass). However, that doesn't mean the 3750 was bad - it was plenty loud (using the speaker mount at 60% volume), just not as "full" sounding as the 1490T. I won't know for sure until I have some more time to route with it over longer trips and different noise conditions. But so far, I don't think volume is going to be an issue.

Bryan
  • bacevedo 0 Points

So this is very strange... guess there is something different in your Win7 Pro 64 version vs. my Win7 Home 32?
    I would bet it has something to do with a 64-bit OS. I can try it on my wife's netbook which is running Windows 7 Starter (32 bit). It seems to work fine on my XP Pro laptop (32 bit).

Bryan
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    One last thing that I can't figure out. Every time I start up, I get the EULA agreement and agree to all, but the next time I do a full boot, it comes up again. Anyone know how they got theirs to stick?

I looked in the garmindevice.xml file and the very bottom has 3 entries regarding EULA and acknowledged were all set to false. I set them all to true but that didn't change anything. Although, that could have to do with my computer not flushing the changes to the device when I disconnect it.

Bryan
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    However, I have no problems with the 3790 on Vista 64 which is the desktop system I use for all my mapping work.
  • t923347 432 Points
    One last thing that I can't figure out. Every time I start up, I get the EULA agreement and agree to all, but the next time I do a full boot, it comes up again. Anyone know how they got theirs to stick?

I looked in the garmindevice.xml file and the very bottom has 3 entries regarding EULA and acknowledged were all set to false. I set them all to true but that didn't change anything. Although, that could have to do with my computer not flushing the changes to the device when I disconnect it.

Bryan
    My 3790T popped the EULA up many many times when I first got it. I even turned it on, got a sat. lock, and then turned it off, 12 times just to see if I could force it to stop. No joy, then a few minutes later I turned it on again and the EULA hasn't been seen since. Not sure what the secret is but it does eventually go away.
  • t923347 432 Points
    Guys,

Thanks
    As others have said, it's not as good a quality as the 1490 but you'll be able to hear it, especially when attached to the powered mount with it's built in speaker. Had to turn the master volume down to 50% as it was just to loud for me.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    then a few minutes later I turned it on again and the EULA hasn't been seen since. Not sure what the secret is but it does eventually go away.
    Yeah, I don't understand that either, but the same thing happened to me. From posts I have seen elsewhere, it's the norm with this series for some reason.
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    I think I figured out how to get rid of the EULA.

In the Garmin folder is a file GarminDevice.xml. Open this file in an editor and look at the last several lines of the file. You will see a section regarding the EULA. In this section are 3 entries (different versions or sections of the EULA) that have an acknowledgement field. If you are still seeing the EULA agreement, these 3 items will be set to false. If you change them to true and save the file (which I did on an XP machine) you should stop getting the EULA. There must be a bug in the firmware that isn't changing these values when you accept the agreement. After I made the changes and saved the file, the agreement no longer pops up. Could be coincidence, but for anyone else still getting the agreement give this a try.

Bryan
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    Some more impressions after using the nuvi today.

The alarm clock feature will actually come in very handy when travelling! I usually use my cell phone, but I don't like having to leave it on all night due to sometimes getting spam text messages in the middle of the night, etc. With the nuvi, you can put it in standby mode and it wakes up when the alrm goes off with a dismiss and snooze button. The snooze then waits 10 minutes before the next alarm! Very slick!

My wife used it today (just playing around with it to learn it) and really liked the way the screen responded. This thing is fast. Doing searches (especially custom POIs) is very fast. It's nice to hit a poi and have it take you right to the next screen with the closest locations right there - no waiting for it to populate like on my 1490t.

I also like being able to charge the nuvi in the cradle from the pc and use it at the same time. It's great when trying to figure it out or plan a trip and not wanting to drain the battery.

For any developers out there, it looks like they are using sqllite for the database. I thought about pulling the files off and seeing if I could connect to them using a free version of sql lite. I haven't tried it yet, so not sure if it is password protected or not. Could be some useful information in the database.

Bryan
  • Blue Flame 91 Points
    It doesn't appear to replace my Nuvi-780 Although?
    Doesn't have a mp3 player, and its missing headphone jack.
    And I'm not fond of shinny metal stuff in my car (causes glare, attracts thieves)...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    They are certainly not for everyone, in fact I suspect it will only appeal to a limited audience. For one thing, they're pretty expensive.

Personally... I could care less about mp3's, I have an iPod and iPhone... and I listen to my music enough at home already; in the car I use the radio and Sirius. Don't need a headphone jack either, since I don't use the voice guidance and wouldn't want it through my speakers even if I did.

Shiny metal? That's funny. :lol: This unit is really much smaller than your 780 and quite easy to stash somewhere. The front and back are black - I think it's less conspicuous than the other Nuvi's in that regard. If you are worried about theft, it's a good idea to stash any GPS or other gadgets when parking.

But it is vastly more powerful than a Nuvi 780 when it comes to map rendering/zooming/panning and the 3d view is much more useful than other Nuvi models. The screen is spectacular and vivid even in full sunlight. Using it in portrait orientation makes me wonder how I did without this for so many years. The more I use the 3790, the more I like it. I'm just amazed that Garmin has come out with something this radically different and powerful.

For me, it's just about perfect. But I never claimed to be an average user.. :)
  • t923347 432 Points
    Agree 100%! Oh, sorry not about you being average :lol: but about your comments on the 3790T. Really is a remarkable GPS but for a bargain price you may have to wait for the Black Friday sales.
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    I am actually glad they got rid of the extra stuff that I never used. The MP3 player - I have an iPod hooked into my car and no need for the headphone output or FM transmitter.

I didn't use it for audiobooks, so glad that is gone, too. It's nice to not have all of these extra menu features cluttering the interface. Mine also doesn't have Bluetooth or traffic, but I never used Bluetooth and the included FM traffic was too unreliable that I eventually disabled it on my previous nuvi.

As for being too shiny, the only thing shiny on it when in use would be the chrome surrounding the outer edge, but that is such a thin strip I can't see that as really being an issue. The back of the unit is a brushed metal (at least most of it) that really doesn't reflect anything. And the front, while turned off is very glossy and mirror like, but when turned on is a brilliant display!

It's not for everyone - if you need your GPS to hook into your car and play your MP3s, etc., then this is definitely not for you. But for the rest of us who just want it to be a good GPS, it's darn near perfect.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Could be coincidence, but for anyone else still getting the agreement give this a try.
    I think it was a coincidence since GarminDevice.xml get regenerated and repopulated with values from the nuvi at every power cycle. I think the firmware/OS keeps track of how many times the EULA has been displayed and after a certain number of times, it values are written to the unit's OS, then written to the xml file.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I also agree with the others here about the omission of the "extra features" like MP3 player etc...I also never used these with the GPS functions and performance being much more important to me. This is one fantastic unit and I'm one that's pretty hard to please. The screen/display is simply amazing and is the very best I've ever seen on a GPS unit. About the only thing I don't care for is the bulk of the traffic cable and bulge of the circuitry pod...
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    For anyone that is interested in the map theme files, they are basically like a style sheet (.css) file and color values are RGB in Hex (00 = 0 and FF = 255). So a value of #FF00FF is R(255), G(0), B(255). (at least I think that is how they are arranged)

You can play around in a graphics program and figure out what colors you want and then get the RGB values to plug into the color value. If the values are in decimal, then you can use the windows calculator (in programmer mode) to convert the values from decimal to hex. Note that there are several sections (i.e. guidance for the main map screen, pedestrian, route preview, browse, etc.) that you will need to udpate for each item you want the color on. There is also a day and night color setting.

I just copied the United Kingdom file, renamed it to Bryan and went inside the file and changed the header section to my own text and then edited a few road colors and then saw that they changed on the unit. It would be cool if Garmin released an editor (or included it in mapsource or bootcamp) for end users to create their own themes. (or maybe someone like turbocc can reate his own)

Anyway, thought I would post this for anyone interested in playing with it.
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    I think it was a coincidence since GarminDevice.xml get regenerated and repopulated with values from the nuvi at every power cycle. I think the firmware/OS keeps track of how many times the EULA has been displayed and after a certain number of times, it values are written to the unit's OS, then written to the xml file.
    I think you are right. I just tried to change them back to false to see what it would do and I wasn't prompted. They were set back to true automatically.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    This is one fantastic unit and I'm one that's pretty hard to please.
    Indeed! :D This one's a real winner in so many ways.

The traffic cable is the same as the one from my 1350t, and I gave up on that. I believe you've posted before that traffic service works acceptably in your area, but it never has in mine so I have pretty much given up on it. I am using the regular cable from my Nuvi 205. Wish I didn't have to pay for the traffic service which I'll probably never use.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    For anyone that is interested in the map theme files, they are basically like a style sheet (.css) file and color values are RGB in Hex (00 = 0 and FF = 255).
    Mapmakers will notice a similarity to Garmin's "custom types" which may be used to redfine the appearance of any map element. For a discussion of this, see page 33 of this tutorial:

http://cgpsmapper.com/download/GM8DocV2.pdf

And this makes me curious as to whether the 37x0 map themes support features other than simple color changes, such as the XPM bitmaps used in custom types... or whether Garmin will possibly extend this feature to provide even more control in the future?

It is good to know however that if you create your own map using custom type (such as the screenshots of my NJ Topo that I posted), the custom styles are respected and over ride whatever map theme you have chosen.