This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 3700 Series Announced

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    edited August 2010
    Here's something interesting I've noticed on my 3790. It uses a sort of "adaptive" brightness setting. On older Nuvi's, you can set one brightness level in day mode and a different one in night mode and they will be remembered.

The 3700 series is not quite so simple. I had set night brightness to 10%. In automatic mode, when I got in the car late last night it came on at 10%. This evening a little before 8:00 PM I manually set the 3790 to night mode since the sun was getting low in a cloudy sky. Looking in the display settings, the brightness was all the way at 100% however, even though I had set the unit for night mode.

I didn't change anything, but checking back 10 minutes later I noticed brightness was now set to 80%. A bit later I checked again it it had dropped to 70%. I'm sure this would continue gradually until it reached the 10% preference I had set before.

So the Nuvi is modifying the user's setting based on the time of day/night. I noticed something similar happen on my 1350, and believe I've read that the 7x5 series may do this as well.
  • Yes, my 765T does the brightness scaling as well.
  • 6string 0 Points
    I logged onto Garmin’s “My Dashboard” tonight and saw that there is a software update available for the 3790t. It took 3 downloads and restarts to get My Dashboard to say the software is up to date. But there is nothing to show what was updated. On the 3790t, it now shows software version 2.20, audio version 2.60, text version 2.20, and GPS firmware 2.20. I didn’t think to look at the versions before the update – does it look like it updated?

There is still no map update available, which I understand is dependent on a software upgrade for the 37xx series.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    It took 3 downloads and restarts to get My Dashboard to say the software is up to date. But there is nothing to show what was updated
    See the sticky "myDashboard vs WebUpdater...which should I use?" to see why it's better to use WebUpdater to update your GPS.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/16792/x/p1/
  • 6string 0 Points
    Thanks Serg. Actually I did check Webupdater before I did the download, and it showed no updates available. So apparently they're not synced to the same data somehow. That's why I went with myDashboard.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Another weekend, another trip to the NY metro area. :) Here are a few more impressions.

On my last two return trips, the 3790 routed me back home via the NJ Turnpike. This is what all my other Nuvi's have done, and it's the shortest way. However, more often than not, I prefer the Garden State Parkway. It's a bit longer but usually a nicer drive and often just as fast. So I leave the city on the NJ Turnpike, then just take exit 11 and hop over to the GSP. The 3790 has been quick to "get it" and recalculate the route using the Parkway.

Well last night I did the same thing and it surprised me. The initial route calculation chose the NJ Turnpike, taking exit 11, then the Parkway for the rest of the trip. I was not using the traffic receiver, so that wasn't it. Looks like this was an example of "myTrends" in action and the 3790t "learned" my preference for the Parkway.

Very good results with POI and address searches in the Queens area again. Fast satellite acquisition coming out of sleep mode. I did have one issue, but there's an easy fix. I didn't shut the unit off right away when I entered a parking garage, and got the error message about lost signal. When leaving the garage, it took a long time to get a fix. The moral of this story is that you should put the unit to sleep as soon as you enter a garage. Upon exit, it will figure out where you are much more quickly if it wasn't "confused" when you turn it off.

Had one POI search issue, which is obviously bad map data. We decided to go to a Bennigan's restaurant and when we got there it had obviously been closed for a LONG time (weeds growing all around the abandoned building). Heh, should have remembered they went bankrupt awhile back and closed many of their locations. There have been quite a lot of map updates since then however.

Taking the Queens Midtown Tunnel, the 3790 "understood" what was happening, switched to night mode and estimated my position pretty well until I came out in Manhattan. This is clearly the result of updated maps. On a trip with my 1350 last year, it understood that I was in the Lincoln Tunnel, but just reported a signal loss in the Queens tunnel.

Driving around Manhattan is a real challenge for any GPS. I think the 3790 does as well as any, but your position drifts, especially when you are sitting still at a light. This makes the unit think you have turned, or that you're on an adjacent street. I wish the 3790 wasn't so eager to recalculate the route. This gets confusing, because it's constantly recalculating and trying to send you a different way. I find it essential to use North up map display there. Otherwise the screen is constantly refreshing and it gets very confusing.

My other general nitpick is that the AutoZoom likes to go all the way in to the max when a turn is approaching (the plus button is greyed out). This is nice to show you detail of the intersection, but you don't get any idea of what to do next. Manually zooming back out usually helps, but sometimes it gets a bit too aggressive and wants to snap back in right away.

All in all, I still love this Nuvi though. I did download the Eastern region of the Navigon app for my new iPhone 4 however, just for a backup. Haven't really used it yet, but was impressed with how quickly it starts up and finds my position.
  • Hi Guys,

Has the routing problem (taking shortest not fastest route) been fixed on these? We talked a lot a while back but I think the thread died?

thx

bob
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    What is that problem? Do you mean that the preference for shortest vs fastest doesn't work properly? I have never tried the shortest option on my 3790 personally.
  • What is that problem? Do you mean that the preference for shortest vs fastest doesn't work properly? I have never tried the shortest option on my 3790 personally.
    There was a long thread on "Garmin takes me on back roads, etc"

bob
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Talk about beating a subject to death... I gave up on that thread long ago. I would say that most people don't experience the issues mentioned in that thread. It seems to be related to some quirks in the map data as far as I could tell.

The routing on my 3790 has really impressed me. It puts a lot more "thought" into the choice of roads. Driving around Manhattan, the routes it chose were not the obvious ones, but they made sense - nuRoute seems to be working, and I'm sure it will improve as time goes by.
  • Talk about beating a subject to death... I gave up on that thread long ago. I would say that most people don't experience the issues mentioned in that thread. It seems to be related to some quirks in the map data as far as I could tell.

The routing on my 3790 has really impressed me. It puts a lot more "thought" into the choice of roads. Driving around Manhattan, the routes it chose were not the obvious ones, but they made sense - nuRoute seems to be working, and I'm sure it will improve as time goes by.

Good,

It's still hard to beat my 2610 SP!

bob
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Well the 2620 was my first automotive GPS and I loved it. Still miss all the advanced menu's. But in every other way, the 3790 "beats" it IMO. Most people would find the satellite acquisition times and signal losses on the 26x0 series pretty unacceptable today. I would lose signal when driving down a road with lots of trees for example.

In the NYC metro area it was all but useless, even with an external antenna. Coming out of the parking garage in downtown Philadelphia at the end of the day and heading for home, it could take 10 minutes or more to lock onto the satellites.

You could stack up 10 nuvi 3790's and they still wouldn't be as thick or heavy as the 2610. :lol:
  • Well the 2620 was my first automotive GPS and I loved it. Still miss all the advanced menu's. But in every other way, the 3790 "beats" it IMO. Most people would find the satellite acquisition times and signal losses on the 26x0 series pretty unacceptable today. I would lose signal when driving down a road with lots of trees for example.

In the NYC metro area it was all but useless, even with an external antenna. Coming out of the parking garage in downtown Philadelphia at the end of the day and heading for home, it could take 10 minutes or more to lock onto the satellites.

You could stack up 10 nuvi 3790's and they still wouldn't be as thick or heavy as the 2610. :lol:

Have you had other Nuvis to compare the routing of the "new" Nuvi's too? Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread.

bob
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Nuvi 650
    Nuvi 205
    Nuvi 5000
    Nuvi 1350

I can't ever recall seeing the kinds of problems people have discussed in that long thread. Or maybe I have but they just didn't bother me. When the GPS is telling me something that doesn't make sense, I just go my own way and let it catch up with me.

But I'm one of those conceited persons who feels he is smarter than a Nuvi... :P
  • Nuvi 650
    Nuvi 205
    Nuvi 5000
    Nuvi 1350

I can't ever recall seeing the kinds of problems people have discussed in that long thread. Or maybe I have but they just didn't bother me. When the GPS is telling me something that doesn't make sense, I just go my own way and let it catch up with me.

But I'm one of those conceited persons who feels he is smarter than a Nuvi... :P
    I think the 7's and 8's were the "bad" ones. But, I digress. Onward and upward :)

bob
  • SergZak 340 Points
    For those wondering, trafficTrends (tt) is definitely working, but how well, I can't really say for sure...

I just performed a route simulation from my home here in Whittier, CA to a location in Orange County (Farrell's Ice Cream in Mission Viejo, CA for those that remember these). The routes were definitely different between having tt enabled vs disabled. With tt enabled, the unit totally avoided a normally very congested freeway (605 south) during rush hour (~4:30 pm) and routed via a seemingly clearer route using a larger street to a different freeway (57 south). Now if this route is any better, I can't really tell since the alternate chosen freeway can also be quite congested. Note that this route simulation was done -without- the traffic receiver connected or traffic avoidance enabled.

I'll try the same route a bit later after 10pm or so to see if the unit with tt enabled will still take the alternate route.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If you have a 3790, try this and see what happens. Go to the recently found items and select an address or POI that you have previously found. Tap the 3-bar icon and press save. What happens?

For me, either the unit crashes or else I get an alert that says "Database error".
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I tried it twice and it worked fine for me.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I tried one POI (a restaurant) three times and it crashed each time. I then tried an address and got the database error. Tried a point that was manually selected on the map and also got the database error.

Just did a full reset and am heading out on a trip, so we'll see if that changes anything.
  • I logged onto Garmin’s “My Dashboard” tonight and saw that there is a software update available for the 3790t. It took 3 downloads and restarts to get My Dashboard to say the software is up to date. But there is nothing to show what was updated.
    I've come to the conclusion that these 'updates' which only take a few seconds are the exchange of traffic information for trafficTrends. At least the dashboard lets you choose whether to do the updates. I'm still experimenting to see if it's really necessary to restart after every one. What was really scary with the 2.50 firmware update recently (I could tell that was happening because it took so much longer to download and transfer) is that the 3790 is the same as the Oregon, i.e. it does not switch itself on when disconnected after an update and you have to re-start it manually. WebUpdater will not work with either the 3790 or my 1490 - devices found but not having 'the necessary capabilities' - and Garmin Support's suggestions (it must happen a lot as they have a prepared e-mail about it!) have not worked.

Saving a 'recent find' - I'm not getting any crashes or database errors.

Garmin support promised me weeks ago that they would update MapSource and/or BaseCamp to enable the transfer of routes to the 3790 - my guess it what it needs is a revision of/addition to the unit firmware so it can translate the temp.gpx file which MapSource sends with routes and waypoints into the format used on the 3790 for the 'nnnnnnnnn.trip' files - one for each saved trip constructed in Trip Planner, found in the .System\Trips folder. I'm keeping a separate backup of these, but although the file has date and time I'm going to need to keep a note of what each one is ... maybe these too are in SQL but I'm not competent to find out. I'm hoping that once I've done a scheduled trip I can replace the file with the earlier unscheduled one, as there seems no way to remove the scheduling from the trip which is then lost once the due date has passed ... I think. More testing needed!

2.50 update seems to have removed the facility in 2.20 to recalculate a selected trip with a different criterion from the general fastest/shortest etc. preference, which is buried deep in the menu tree. That was good - why remove it?

Apart from a few niggles, I'm loving it for all the reasons everyone else is ... but nothing beats my old StreetPilot 2820 for flexibility in data display and handling. It just had a tiny screen and insensitive reception!
  • t923347 432 Points
    I tried one POI (a restaurant) three times and it crashed each time. I then tried an address and got the database error. Tried a point that was manually selected on the map and also got the database error.

Just did a full reset and am heading out on a trip, so we'll see if that changes anything.
    No crashes for me. Items from Recently Found can be saved with no problem. I have done a reset since the firmware update so hopefully that's the solution to your issue.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Did Garmin decide to not have the 3700's show the length of time a traffic incident may be? On other Nuvi's I have had it would give the time of delay next to the round traffic icon on map but so far on the 3790t I have not seen this. It was nice to see how much time the delay may be to help decide if it's worth it wait or go detour around.

I do have to say for me the voice recognition has worked pretty good. I turn down the radio when I am going to use it and most times it works the 1st time a say something. I wish there was a command to switch from 3D to 2D because there is a quite a few button pushes to do it by finger.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Did Garmin decide to not have the 3700's show the length of time a traffic incident may be?
    This is something I also noticed right away regarding the traffic and is something I miss. Why it's not being displayed, I really don't know...my *guess* is that it's an "oversight" on Garmin's part and will likely be corrected/added in a future firmware update...like I said, that's only a guess. We shall see...
  • t923347 432 Points
    I wish there was a command to switch from 3D to 2D because there is a quite a few button pushes to do it by finger.
    Isn't it just a screen swipe in 3D mode to take you to 2D and a press of the return arrow in the bottom left corner to take you back to 3D?
  • Depends if you want the data fields or not - a tap on the screen in 3D takes you to a 'plain' 2D map screen, North up, but no data fields.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Isn't it just a screen swipe in 3D mode to take you to 2D and a press of the return arrow in the bottom left corner to take you back to 3D?
    Sure, just like all the Nuvi's, although you are no longer in "moving map" mode. But I am actually disappointed with the 3790 regarding a true switch of view modes. They have buried the map view preference one level deeper on the 3790. On all the other Nuvi's you would press

Menu > Tools > Settings > Map > Map View

on the 3790 it's

Menu > Tools > Settings > Navigation > Automobile > Map View

There are times when I like to switch views and really wish there was an easier way. 2d north up mode works a lot better in Manhattan, for example. In 3d or track up mode, the map spins around a lot, especially when sitting at a traffic light, due to signal reflections and losses.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I have done a reset since the firmware update so hopefully that's the solution to your issue.
    Just to follow up.... following the reset I am able to save recently found items without problems. I have a rather large collection of favorites - over 400. Maybe that has something to do with tthe problem?
  • jeff303 0 Points
    Hi all,

Thanks for the information on this unit. I was very interested when I heard it announced, but unfortunately I'd just settled for a Nuvi 1490T that was needed for a trip. The traffic feature of that unit proved to be worthless here in Chicago, since even if it ever did get the data, it provided no information on city streets which are typically slower than even the slowest highways.

Anyway, that unit was stolen from my car last week, and I don't really miss it much since it had many other shortcomings (noted in my review here). Since I need another unit quickly, I bought a cheap refurbished Magellan. But I really would love to know how well the trafficTrends feature works out in the long term. If anybody can provide some follow-up after training the database for a while, particularly as to whether it's really useful in finding the fastest route at a particular time, I'd be very interested. Thanks.
  • First spontaneous re-boot while routeing for me this week - just as inconvenient as when it announced 'cannot calculate route' after a re-calculating attempt on the way home a few weeks ago.

Another new 'feature': unlike previous devices with TTS voices, the 3790 restricts the available choice of Voice Language to those that match the selected basic Text language - so when I was in France the other day and wanted Français-Sebastien to read out the street names, he was nowhere to be found - and British English-Daniel makes a risible hash of French pronunciation, as you'd expect. Previously I would keep the text language as English but change the voice to French.

The only TTS languages available were American, Australian and British English in their male and female varieties (all the other languages in non-TTS versions are always available). At first I thought it might be something to do with the voice recognition system, but disabling that made no difference. Later experimentation revealed that the voice languages (which are all there on the unit, I checked) are only made available when the base text language is changed - so once you have chosen Français as the Langue du texte, lo and behold (or perhaps voilà) Français Européen is the selected Profil de voix, with Français Canadien as the other TTS choice.

You can keep the QWERTY keyboard, though, opting for French AZERTY is not compulsory.
  • A surprise this morning - I drove through a (very short) tunnel and the screen went into night mode while I was in it and reverted to day mode as I exited about 5 seconds later. There's not, as far as a I know, a light sensor on it as there was with the late-model StreetPilots, so it must because the map 'knows' it's a tunnel.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I've had the tunnel dimming feature work on one here as well.

Also note that the brightness setting will fade gradually when switching from daytime mode to nighttime mode (& vise-versa) rather than simply jumping from one brightness setting to the other.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yes I have noticed these as well and commented on them earlier in the l-o-n-g thread :)

The tunnel feature also ignores the loss of GPS signal and estimates your position based on your speed when entering the tunnel. Actually, I wonder if they are using (or will use?) trafficTrends data to estimate probable speed in the tunnel based on weekday and time?
  • The pseudo-dead-reckoning in a tunnel feature works on my 1490 as well, but it doesn't dim the screen.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Right - I also observed that on the 1350. However, it did not seem to recognize the Queens Midtown tunnel but did recognize the Holland Tunnel and Lincoln Tunnel.

The 3790 recognized the Queens Midtown, but this is probably related to the map version and not the hardware.

Although on one trip, the GPS got confused due to signal reflections, etc when I entered the Lincoln Tunnel in NYC. It didn't realize I was in the tunnel then and just reported a signal loss.
  • The situation with the Dartford Crossing over the Thames is interesting - over a new-ish bridge going south, through the older tunnels going north. I guess they are sufficiently separated for the unit to know which direction I'm taking (it can even tell which carriageway I'm on if there's any sort of central reservation), and of course the GPS signals are not interrupted on the bridge. The tunnel is nearly a mile long, and if traffic is slow the unit often reports 'lost satellite reception' just at the point I exit.
  • I decided to contact Garmin earlier in the week re the Eco HD accessory for connecting the unit to the cars OBD-II port, hardware should be available in the stores by the end of this month but they didn't seem too committed to the software release date required to use this accessory with the 37xx series.

The one reason I want this add on is the ability to read/ reset ECU fault codes without taking the car to a main dealer, I do have a code reader but having this ability on the nav unit will make a real diference to what I need in the car (one less gadget), anything else in terms of functionality it can offer such as low fuel alarm, where is the nearest fuel station etc triggered from the cars data will be a real bonus - Mike
  • I've been looking at this unit too now, and it seems Navteq maps are not on par with Tele Atlas in Europe. I'm still gathering some more opnions, but I would be a missed chance as I'm starting to like the unit.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    You should be able to view Garmin's maps on their website. Not sure about the EU site, but using the US site:

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webmap.cgi?p=148504577&u=1&v=0&cp=7697D85A525496E5&z=3&x=240&y=180&w=480&h=360&d=0&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

Set detail for "more" and zoom way in to see all the roads.
  • Posted on the Garmin 3790 FAQ support section on 14 September:
    At this time the nuvi 3700 series does not have the ability to manually receive created routes from MapSource or any third party applications.

Garmin intends to add this functionality into the nuvi 3700 series via a software update sometime in the future. Current plans call for the update to be released in the first quarter of 2011.
    At last what seems like a commitment, and a time frame...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Good find! Thanks for posting. But we might have to wait almost 6 months though. That would seem to confirm that there are profound differences between "trips" on the 3700 series versus "routes" on other Garmin units.
  • Recently brought my 660 in due to issues and with the extd plan was upgraded to a 3760T. Super screen, faster. I really like that the volume can now be heard over the radio.

The traffic? Not sure yet. you see the red double car icon in the upper left side turn from green to red when it expects traffic, but it was wrong most of the time, then once we buzzed through where it thought traffic would be the ETA was recalculated. Not sure if I like that part or not. Then to see specifics on traffic you have to go thru some menu's. Not a good thing if you are traveling alone. Okay if you are stuck in bumper to bumper and can use your hands... but its too late then.

I need more time with it, and overall its a big improvement. No FM transmitter, but I never used it anyhow..
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Backdoctor: I discussed my experience with the 3790's free traffic in this thread. It might vary considerably depending on your location http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/143130/#143130

I road tested a new map that I'm making on the 3790 today. Actually, it's more like an art project than a map; it uses NJDEP landcover data to create a graphical representation of your surroundings. I continue to be impressed by the 3d engine in this skinny little monolith. Garmin has never made anything quite like it before. 8)

• Can you navigate to any position on the map? Can you simply click anywhere on the map and make the GPS navigate to that specific spot?
    I really hope someone can answer this, because it determines whether i will buy this GPS or not.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Every nuvi allows you to navigate to any point on the map. That assumes there's not an ocean in the way. :lol:
  • Every nuvi allows you to navigate to any point on the map. That assumes there's not an ocean in the way. :lol:
    Ok thanks.
    But if i have used that feature to navigate to a specific spot, can i save that spot as a favourite and give it a name? Or does it remember that spot in the history or something? Anything so that i don't need to find that spot again..
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Yep ... you can :)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Yup, you can save it a favorite and name it.
  • Great :)
    Think i'm going to buy 3790t then.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Guys, I think we need to expand on this a little, because the 3700 series is a bit different from older Nuvi's. You can navigate to any object on the map. This could be a road, a park, a city, a lake, etc. You cannot set a destination to an open area on the map between the roads. If you tap the screen in such an area, it won't allow you to select it and you won't have a "go" button or menu of options.

This is different from the older nuvis that displayed an arrow cursor when you entered browse mode. Whatever that arrow pointed to could be either navigated to or saved, regardless of whether a road or other object was shown. Not sure when this changed, possibly with the 1xx0 series. Gator, I'm sure you'll find that your 1695 also behaves this way.

So on these new models, you can navigate to an off-road place if you have the coordinates (Where To > Coordinates), but not by pointing to it. If you actually drive someplace off a mapped road, you can save that as a favorite and navigate to it.

This may not really be what the OP is asking, but since it's fairly new behavior for Garmin, I thought I should point it out.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Nicely expanded ... :D

To expand further ... on the 14xx series you can still select ANY point, even in an open space, and either GO to it, or save it as a favourite. If it's changed then it must be from the 16xx series on ... over to Gator.