This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 3700 Series Announced

12346»

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Thanks for clarifying that. A completely new map browser was introduced for the 1xx0 series and I couldn't remember the finer points. But I believe it eliminates the cursor arrow found on the older models.

The 1695 and 3700 interfaces are nearly identical, so I'd be surprised if the browser didn't behave the same.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Thanks for the clarification Boyd. I've successfully saved a couple of off-road locations as favorites on the 1695 and did not realize anything had changed. I'll try later to see if tapping an off-road spot on the map will allow navigation, but suspect you're probably correct since many of the 1695 and 37xx features are similar.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    If, on the 14xx series, you tap on the map you still get a cursor arrow. What you then get is the option to GO or save as favourite. If you save as favourite you then get the standard 'pin' that shows on the map. I've just run a simulation and once you get to the end of the nearest road you get a straight line to the pin with a message 'Navigate off road'. Not that that will help the OP as he's not after a 14xx :D
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yeah, it's completely different on these new models. You can tap all you want, but nothing happens unless there's some kind of map object to select. I'm sure the 2200 and 2300 will also be like this.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    So I don't confuse the OP, you can successfully save an off-road favorite you're visiting by either Where Am I or tapping the vehicle icon. You can also enter the coordinates for one you have not actually traveled to. But unlike previous nuvi models, you can't simply tap a spot between roads and set it as a navigable destination. FWIW, that was always an imprecise and/or tedious method of setting a favorite, but it was quick and dirty.

The new way off-road destinations are set explains why my 1695 may state that it's another 400 ft to my destination (as an example), but the map display correctly shows me spot-on.
  • Sorry, maybe i should have been more clear. I don't need to "navigate" to offroad places, i was only talking about roads.
  • sviking 141 Points
    I road tested a new map that I'm making on the 3790 today.
    Are you actually loading custom maps on the 3790? I thought Garmin was totally closed to that. I know you do it with other GPS units and Ozi Explorer. Interesting...
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    The terminology is ambiguous unfortunately. In the past, "custom map" meant any Garmin compatible vector based map that you make yourself. Garmin has never supported this; it's done with third party reverse-engineered tools. Such maps work on all Garmin units - automotive, handheld, marine.

Then Garmin laid claim to the term "custom map" and used it to describe a feature of its newer handheld units where users can make small maps themselves from raster imagery (scanned maps, satellite imagery, etc). These maps cannot be used on any Nuvi.

The map I'm working on is a regular Garmin vector based .img file and it can be used on any model, however it takes advantage of the 3790's 3d capabilities, high res screen and faster processor. I will be posting it at GPSFileDepot in the near future. It works in Mapsource/Basecamp and can be sent to the GPS like any other Garmin map.

But the only reason I can make a map in this style is the existence of very high quality (12k) vector format landcover/land use data. The State of New Jersey has painstakingly traced the outlines of different features from aerial imagery and classified them with a system called the Anderson Code. I am mapping these codes to my own custom drawn textures.

The New Jersey data is really impressive and covers the entire state. I am expanding my map coverage into PA and NY, but there just isn't any data of this quality available there (the best I can do is 30 year old USGS data at very low resolution (250k).

So this is one advantage of living in a small state where environmental preservation is a hot topic. :)

• Boyd 1985 Points
    I am expanding my map coverage into PA and NY, but there just isn't any data of this quality available there
    Now that I have a bit of time off for the holidays, I'm developing a technique to convert Landsat data into Garmin's format. Not quite as nice as the NJ data, but it's better than anything else I can find and covers the entire US.

So now I'm headed to the North and West, into the hills of Pennsylvania and New York :)

• SergZak 340 Points
    I swear, that map gets better looking every time I see it...great job Boyd.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Thanks Sergey! Unfortunately, it's gonna take me a long time to make it as far west as California. :D
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Absolutely. South to Florida would be much quicker. 8)

BTW Boyd, have you looked at this yet? Garmin Tool for ArcGIS Explorer?
    http://tinyurl.com/37mkpuc
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    My individual map tiles are about 20 miles x 20 miles. Hard to say how long it takes to process each one since I work on the different elements separately, but it's certainly more than just a few days. :)

But really, my inspiration for making this kind of map is the spectacular way that the 3790 renders 3d detail (which is why I'm posting to this thread). And you have to see the map displayed on the actual 3790 screen to appreciate all the subtleties (I have greatly reduced the size of these images to fit the forum page).

I wonder if Garmin will migrate these features to other models? So far, they are not showing any inclination to do that. And, frankly, all that power is sort of wasted on just rendering the simplistic City Navigator map. All the action in the PND market this holiday season is at the bottom of the line, in the $80 to $150 range it seems. Hopefully Garmin has carved out a niche for the 3700 series with consumers who don't make decisions solely on price and are willing to pay more for state of the art hardware.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Hadn't seen that before - thanks Gator. That's for making custom maps that work in the new Garmin handhelds, so it's not compatible with the nuvi (as I'm sure you already noticed).

At this point, I have a number of other ways to make that kind of map so I think I'll pass. But it's nice to see more free software support this feature.
  • philhu 91 Points
    Absolutely. South to Florida would be much quicker. 8)

http://tinyurl.com/37mkpuc
    Or come up to our New England states. These detail maps would be cool for vacationers up here, or residents, like me ;)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I would like to expand my coverage to the whole US, but this stuff takes a lot of time. Maybe someday. There's not a lot of incentive to make free maps unless they're something I will use myself. And cool or not, it's probably not something that anyone would be willing to pay for.

But we shall see... :)
  • caryrae 92 Points
    For anyone who would like to get a 3790 but thought the price may be out of their range you can get a Factory Refurbished one on amazon.com for $299.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    REI has the 3790T new for $299. REI members get free shipping.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Ha - I just posted the same thing in the "good deals" thread. Funny how these things spread so quickly. :) I think this is the best price I've seen so far on the 3790, about $50 less than current Amazon price.
  • Moon_Wolf 0 Points
    I did some reading well in advance of different GPS units. The new garmin 3790 ended up the winner. Main reason was for the ability to upload routes to it from mapsource. Other reason was the lightweight and design.

Now that I have it, it does not upload routes from mapsource. You do get your waypoints but and it appears to upload the routes but within the software of the 3790, you cannot load those routes.

I just updated the software today and still no function to select uploaded routes. Seems to me if you advertise the unit can hold 100 routes and 1000 waypoints, you can do that.

Other than the lack of uploading routes to the 3790, it is a very good unit. I took a 100km test drive with it yesterday and it worked very well. Voice recognition is good and you can easily add waypoints to your route onces you have started that route.

Now if we can just get Garmin to get uploading of routes working on this unit, it is a good buy. Small and lightweight enough to carry with you on your foot travels.
  • Moon_Wolf 0 Points
    Forgot to say I have 3790LMT. :oops:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Now if we can just get Garmin to get uploading of routes working on this unit, it is a good buy.
    Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever happen. Initially Garmin said the unit was never intended to import routes. Then, after receiving lots of complaints, they posted a FAQ on their support site saying they planned to add route transfer capability in a future software update that was currently scheduled for 2011 Q1. That date came and went, and instead of providing route transfer capability, they removed the FAQ from their site.

Now when people have contacted Garmin support they have been told that it is no longer planned. If this is important to you, contact Garmin and let us know what they tell you.
  • Moon_Wolf 0 Points
    That is what I am feeling. My first step was to email gamin. I did that Friday night so based on 3 day wait, I'm hoping to hear something by Thursday.

As much as I can plan a trip with the '3790 Trip Planner', it is not by any means, easier than doing it in either MS Streets & Trips or Mapsource. I'd rather have MS S&T send the routes to my 3790. It is much easier for the wife (navigator) to hold the 3790 than a 10" EXOPC Windows 7 tablet.

I just started using trip planner today and although it allows entering a route, editing a route and deletion of routes, I think being able to build the route in mapsource and then uploading it would be much easier.

I'll post here as I get more info on my dealings with Garmin on uploading routes to the 3790LMT.
  • Moon_Wolf 0 Points

Now when people have contacted Garmin support they have been told that it is no longer planned. If this is important to you, contact Garmin and let us know what they tell you.
    Well it didn't take long for an answer to my question about uploading routes to the 3790. In short, here is the reply:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. Because the 3790 uses our new Trip Planner application on the device itself, there is not a way to transfer routes from MapSource to the device, as it does not correctly interface. Because we believed the Trip Planner application to be sufficient, we did not add MapSource compatibility. We are working on a fix, but because of the difficulties in adding the feature, it may not be completed any time soon. If this feature is something that would ruin the functionality of the device, I would suggest returning the device, as I cannot provide an adequate time frame to the release of any type of fix. I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused."

That be too bad. The trip planner may be good for entering some waypoints, it most certainly would be a pain to use if one had several waypoints to enter.

I guess I will keep it. It is small enough to fit other requirements I have. If they every add route upload --- this 3790 will be a fantastic personal navigation GPS.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Personally, I think they just decided not to invest the resources in an update for an existing device. The 2400 series has the same new user interface and trip planner, but it also supports route import. So clearly, it can be done...
  • Markarian421 181 Points
    I've been searching for this and can't find it -- when you rotate for portrait mode, can you rotate it either way (clockwise or counterclockwise) or just clockwise? I ask because unless the ball for the mount is perfectly centered in the back of the device, with the mount in my car I'd want to rotate it counterclockwise. But I haven't seen that demonstrated anywhere, I've only seen people turning it clockwise. Thanks.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    No, it only works when you rotate it clockwise I'm afraid.
  • triliby 0 Points
    I purchased the 3790T on clearance at Best Buy for $139 three weeks ago and like it a lot but wish it did work with Mapsource
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Here's something interesting. I haven't used my 3790 for about 6 weeks (has been replaced by my Montana), but keep it in the car as a backup. Went to try it today and it wouldn't start. Figured it was just a dead battery, so I plugged it into an AC adapter and it still wouldn't start. Waited an hour, still no go. Three hours later, still nothing.

Now, six hours later it finally started up (I was about to give up...) and seems to be fine. But when I unplug the power adaptor, it immediately gives a low battery warning with just a thin red bar showing on the indicator. I would have expected more of a charge after 6 hours. Hopefully it will come back after awhile. FWIW, I am using a genuine Garmin USB charger.

Anybody else have an experience like this? I guess the lesson is "use it or lose it". If I had needed the 3790 and the battery was dead like this, I'd be out of luck since it took somewhere between 3 to 6 hours to reach a working level on external power.
  • Here's something interesting. I haven't used my 3790 for about 6 weeks (has been replaced by my Montana), but keep it in the car as a backup. Went to try it today and it wouldn't start. Figured it was just a dead battery, so I plugged it into an AC adapter and it still wouldn't start. Waited an hour, still no go. Three hours later, still nothing.

Now, six hours later it finally started up (I was about to give up...) and seems to be fine. But when I unplug the power adaptor, it immediately gives a low battery warning with just a thin red bar showing on the indicator. I would have expected more of a charge after 6 hours. Hopefully it will come back after awhile. FWIW, I am using a genuine Garmin USB charger.

Anybody else have an experience like this? I guess the lesson is "use it or lose it". If I had needed the 3790 and the battery was dead like this, I'd be out of luck since it took somewhere between 3 to 6 hours to reach a working level on external power.
    I had that happen to me when I plugged the unit in after letting the battery completely drain but then accidentally unplugged it again before the battery could charge up to a sufficient level to start it up again. (At least that was my theory as to why it happened.) I had a really hard time getting it to turn on again. I left it plugged in a while to the AC and held down the power button for a couple minutes and it finally responded. I was relieved, I thought it bit the dust.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I just don't use my 3790 much anymore, but I am developing a new kind of map now and it just doesn't work very well on my Montana. The 3790 is a whole different ballgame though. Wow, this unit continues to surprise and impress me a year and a half later. There just isn't any other device in the garmin line (except the 3490) with this kind of 3d rendering engine.

This map was created from LIDAR terrain imagery with a source resolution of about 10 feet per pixel using my own techniques and software. It is really pushing the unit to its limits, but seems to work. Have not yet road tested it though...

A happy (and safe) New Years to all! :D

• Personally, I think they just decided not to invest the resources in an update for an existing device. The 2400 series has the same new user interface and trip planner, but it also supports route import. So clearly, it can be done...
    Did trip planner even work for you?

I got my 3790 Dec 2010 and trip planner didn't even work until firmware update version 4.6ish (Around Dec 2011). Prior to this fix, it was unable to actually follow a trip from beginning to end. It would just forget to go to the next leg.