When the Nuvis run out of memory for map updates...

sviking 141 Points
Wonder what happens to all the owners of 2GB internal memory Nuvis when the memory runs out for ever increasingly large City Navigator updates. I have every single unnecessary file deleted off mine. I have only one language, car icon, etc. No music or pictures. As of the 2010.40 update, I had about 365MB free. After the latest 2011.10, I have 270MB free. At that rate, after a few more updates, I'll be out of memory. Kaput... I guess I'll also be in the same situation (if not sooner) with a Street Pilot 2720.

So, if/when that happens, is there a way to only load the lower 48 states as I really don't need the rest? I have Mapsource so could I just delete the old map on the Nuvi and highlight the states I want then "send" it to the GPS? I'm guessing I'd have to delete the old map file first to make room.

Also wonder how that would work on a 2720 since you can't get to the file structure to delete the old map first...

I have the lifetime map update subscription on both units. Looks like this might be a "planned obsolescence" by Garmin of their older units. :roll:

Yes, I DO already have an email into Garmin about this. I'll post what they say IF/when they respond...

Comments

• SergZak 222 Points
    Looks like this might be a "planned obsolescence" by Garmin of their older units. :roll:
    This affects most of the newer 1xxx series units as well, including the top-of-the-line 1690 which only has ~120MB of free memory out of the box.
  • sviking 141 Points

This affects most of the newer 1xxx series units as well, including the top-of-the-line 1690 which only has ~120MB of free memory out of the box.
    They should be able to free up a good bit by deleting all the extra/unnecessary files. Are they also only 2BG for storage? Seems ridiculous with how cheap flash memory is these days.

In a way, I'm sort of glad to see this... Gives some hope to older Nuvi owners that HOPEFULLY, just MAYBE... Garmin will address this and not leave new owners out in the cold on this trend of ever increasing map size... Talk about totally TUBING future map update subscriptions if they can't even fit on relatively new units after a few updates. At the rate it's going, that might be only a year...or less... This latest update jumped almost 100 megs in size. :shock:
  • sviking 141 Points

They should be able to free up a good bit by deleting all the extra/unnecessary files. Are they also only 2BG for storage? Seems ridiculous with how cheap flash memory is these days.

Sorry for all the new owners but, in a way, I'm sort of glad to see this... Gives some hope to older Nuvi owners that HOPEFULLY, just MAYBE... Garmin will address this and not leave new owners out in the cold on this trend of ever increasing map size... Talk about totally TUBING future map update subscriptions if they can't even fit on relatively new units after a few updates. At the rate it's going, that might be only a year...or less... This latest update jumped almost 100 megs in size. :shock:
  • SergZak 222 Points
    This latest update jumped almost 100 megs in size. :shock:
    This was partly due to the inclusion of CN Mexico. On my 765, this was included in the built/transferred mapset but I hear word of other users with limited memory units not getting Mexico in their mapset.

To see if you have CN Mexico in your mapset:
    Where To?>Cities>Spell> "Mexico City" >Done. Now select "Mexico City, DF", then press the Map button. If you have map detail displaying, then it's on your unit (it is on my 765). If your unit supports 3D Buildings (7x5 series), they are displayed as well.
  • sviking 141 Points
    So, the update just "knows" how much memory is left on any given GPS? I wonder how/when it determines that. Guess it must download the entire update file and go from there. I also wonder if everything would still show in Mapsource. After all, if one PAID for ALL of City Navigator NORTH AMERICA, they should still be able to use the entire map even if it all can't fit at once on the GPS. Sort of like the old days. Move something off to make room for an area you are traveling to...like say...a Mexican vacation. Not every Nuvi owner is "Mapsource-less", although it seems Garmin would like it that way since it hasn't been included in a loooong time. I only have it as I originally got it with my Street Pilot.

Also, what if someone just doesn't want/need Mexico installed? I wish they'd give us the option of what we want to load. US, Canada, Mexico, or any combination of the three. Most people only need the US part.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Bump...

As for some resolution to the end of my last post, I read on another forum where someone didn't have enough memory for all of the US, Canada and Mexico 2011.10 update. Apparently, the install procedure automatically detected this and either allowed or alerted (didn't say which) to only install the US and Canada.

Still, I wonder for future uses since we PAID for the ENTIRE North America map, if it would be possible to load Mexico instead of Canada. Again, the guy didn't say if he was prompted as to what he wanted to install or just that it defaulted to installing the US and Canada only...
  • navxguy 0 Points
    did a quick scan, didn't see a quick answer ...

so now that my 1690 is down to 40MB, before 2011.10 ... what files should i put on the microSD card? ... not quite sure how it works, but do i put language files? or the actual map? and what is the file/folder structure?

if this has been ask and i just missed the thread, point me to it

thx!
  • alkenber 81 Points
    Further to this, is there a thread here giving step by step instructions on how to remove stuff you don't use and maximize the map space on the unit?
    I could sure use it if anything is available.
  • alkenber 81 Points
    oh, and I forgot to mention that I just checked the space on my Nuvi 755 and I have 1.72 GB of space avaiable, I recently updated to the latest map version (I bought the lifetime updates) and I do not have detail for Mexico city after checking using the insrtuctions above. Any idea why I wouldn't have the detail for Mexico?
  • SergZak 222 Points
    From the Garmin support / Search support page at:

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/home/support/searchsupport
    Question: How do I get more space on my nuvi for the map update?
    Answer:

If you receive an error message stating, "There is not enough free space on your Garmin GPS, you need an additional XX MB on your Garmin GPS for the application to continue," please follow these steps to free up more space on your nuvi:

For PC

1. Connect the nuvi to the computer with a USB cable
    2. Double-click My Computer or Computer on your desktop
    3. Double-click on the GARMIN drive listed under devices with removable storage
    4. Double-click on the Garmin folder
    5. Double-click on the Voice folder
    6. Delete any unused voice files (be sure to keep your preferred language)
    7. Return to the Garmin folder
    8. Repeat steps 5-7 with the Text and Help folders

For Mac

1. Connect the nuvi to the computer with a USB cable
    2. It will mount to the desktop, double-click on Garmin or nuvi
    3. Double-click on the Garmin folder
    4. Double-click on the Voice folder
    5. Delete any unused voice files (be sure to keep your preferred language)
    6. Return to the Garmin folder
    7. Repeat steps 4-6 with the Text and Help folders
    8. Empty the trash

After the files are deleted, run the map update again. This should free up additional space for you to complete the download.
    Last modified on: 03/17/2010
  • alkenber 81 Points
    Thank you kindly for posting that...especially since I should have been able to find it on my own. :oops:
  • navxguy 0 Points
    thanks for point that out ... my question was specific to using the SD cardslot for some of these files. does Nuvi recognize voice files, text files, help files, NA map file, etc on SD card slot, or is it only used for pics, music, book data, etc ... ? thx
  • dhlizard 0 Points
    thanks for point that out ... my question was specific to using the SD cardslot for some of these files. does Nuvi recognize voice files, text files, help files, NA map file, etc on SD card slot, or is it only used for pics, music, book data, etc ... ? thx
    You can put maps on SD card. Must be named gmapsupp.img or gmapsup2.img for Nuvi to read it.
  • SergZak 222 Points
    The nuvi can access maps, pictures, music, etc from the SD card but system files such as voice, help & text files need to be on the nuvi's internal memory.

The nuvi 1xxx series also has the ability to access any/all maps from the internal memory or SD card if you create a folder named "Map" in the root of the drive. The maps can be named anything (such as topomaps.img) as long as you keep the .img extension intact and the file is a valid Garmin mapset file. There is theoretically no limit (aside from physical memory) to the number of map files the nuvi can access.
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    There is theoretically no limit (aside from physical memory) to the number of map files the nuvi can access.
    This may be true for the number of map files, but there will be segment limits, just like all Garmin products. I would *guess* the newer Nuvi's support 4,000 segments like the Colorado, Oregon and Dakota models. Older model Nuvi's probably only support 2025 segments like the 60csx and eTrex series. I have never seen this documented.

Map segments are the individual tiles that make up the full map. With City Navigator, there aren't a lot of segments. But many topo maps have a large number of segments so that they will work with older handheld units that only had tiny amounts of memory and no storage cards.

For example, US Topo 100k has about 6,600 segments, so one map file could max out your GPS if you loaded 2/3 of the US. My understanding is that the map segment limit applies to the sum of all segments in all maps that are resident on your GPS and not just the file you are currently using.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    Boyd, IIRC you're absolutely right on the map segments/limits. I read somewhere recently that at least the newer 1xxx series supported around 4000 total segments on the device. I'll see if I can stumble on the Garmin post again.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    very helpful...thx!
  • sviking 141 Points
    did a quick scan, didn't see a quick answer ...

so now that my 1690 is down to 40MB, before 2011.10 ... what files should i put on the microSD card? ... not quite sure how it works, but do i put language files? or the actual map? and what is the file/folder structure?

if this has been ask and i just missed the thread, point me to it

thx!
    I don't know as I've never used an SD card. I just deleted every language except English and only kept one car icon. Freed up a bunch of space that way.
  • sviking 141 Points

You can put maps on SD card. Must be named gmapsupp.img or gmapsup2.img for Nuvi to read it.
    Would this cause a Nuvi to run SLOWER than they already do with the map on an SD card? :shock:

Also, are you sure on that map name? gmapsupp.img works with handhelds like my 60CSx. Thought the file name for Nuvis was "gmapprom.img". That's the file name of the 1.29 gig map file in the Garmin folder I'm looking at right now on my Nuvi 660.
  • I have the following file extensions in:
    Garmin Nuvi/.system/

.GCD .GMA .GPI .IMG .SUM .VER ,VLC .XML

Which can be moved to my SD card?

Reason = I want to have as much memory as possible to record TRACK logs (Not TRIP logs). The unit makes a track point (breadcrumb) every second. That's a lot of points for my 2,000 mile trip to Michigan.

What I would also like to do is cut the number of track points in half, by making one every 2 seconds. How can this be done?
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    There is no control over track recording on the Nuvi. I would guess that it uses a combination of time and distance when recording, so that it doesn't fill up the log file if you are just sitting still.

I don't think it's an issue of making room in memory for track; there's a hard limit on the number of points that it will record which is probably 10,000. Garmin does not provide this spec on the Nuvi line, but they do for their handhelds which all max out at 10,000 points.

When the tracklog reaches 10,000 points it wraps around and the oldest point is deleted each time a new point is recorded. You can't even turn recording on or off on the Nuvi. The only functions for tracking are showing/hiding it on the map and clearing the log.

Now this is somewhat dependent on what model Nuvi you have. There are undocumented advanced tracking modes on some models with some firmware versions. Garmin does not support this and when people have inquired they were told the functions are only there for debugging purposes.

Do a google search for "Nuvi hidden track log" to learn more about this. I have never explored these features myself.
  • I think we're talking about different logs. The TRIP log does have a limit of 10,000 points and as you say, over-writes the oldest when it exceeds 10,000.

There's a separate TRACK log that's hidden, & can be turned on & off. My 1490T has a track with 17,441 points. It stopped there only because I turned the unit off. It's my bet that all the 1xxx Nuvis have this feature.

The TRACK log can be accessed by:
    1) On Map page, tap "Speed"
    2) On the resultant screen, press & hold at the center of the speedometer.
    3) A "diagnostics Page" appears.
    4) Select "Diagnostic Logging"
    5) A "Engineering Mode: Logging Control" screen appears.
    6) Select "Start Recording"
    7) A "Select Data to log" screen appears
    8- Select the GPX box, then tap "Start Log"
    9) The "Ready to Navigate" screen appears. Near the top, under the word "Ready" there's a faint gray rectangle with "Sto" in it. To the right of this, is a stopwatch-like counter ticking off the seconds ... each second recording all the data that we get from our hand-helds, like the GPSmap 76 CSx ... Lat, Long, time, leg length, leg time, elevation, speed, heading.
    10) Tapping the "Sto" stops the recording & takes us back to the logging control screen. In order to re-start TRACK logging, gotta tap "Start Recording" again, which starts a new TRACK log.
    11) The logs are stored in Garmin Nuvi/.system/logs/GPS with a .GPX file extension. They can be opened with MapSource.

Recording tracks of where I've been is important to me. I have ~50,000 miles of travel in Google Earth. With that I can re-live my adventures, and know exactly where I was/when, and also geotag my photos.

The 1490 allows me to do that, but at one point/second, I'm concerned about maxing out the Nuvi's resident memory, and losing some important data.

I see two possibilities for protecting against this loss:
    A) Freeing up resident memory by moving the large map file to the SD card. (I've already thinned out language, keyboard, cars, etc. files)

B) Learning how to program the Nuvi so it records the TRACK log on the SD card. I believe that this is a simple change in the code for the software/firmware. But I don't know the language, & although learning it would be like mind candy, I don't have the time to do it.

Does anyone know the file to look in, and the language being used?

Or, better yet, what file do I edit & what change do I make?

I think it's best if I start a new topic to cover this. Here goes ...