This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Google now using their own data in Canada, drops TeleAtlas

Tim 1480 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Google is now using a different data set for their Google Maps data in Canada, similar to what they have done in the USA recently. The data is coming from their own data collections plus the National Hydrography Network and Canadian Council on Geomatics. I haven't seen any areas where they are still using TeleAtlas data in Canada.

Something strange I'm seeing is that when you pull up StreetView data, the purple areas depicting StreetView coverage are still aligned with the TeleAtlas data, so you can see areas where the two datasets don't match very well-- it is somewhat amusing to see.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Here is a pic showing what I mean. Notice how the StreetView purple road outlines are lining up with the (ghost) TeleAtlas data instead of the new Google data.

• patruns 10 Points
    I don't see a pic..... :?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I don't see a pic..... :?
    Turn off your ad blockers.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Now I see it.............

Why would an ad blocker block a plain image? I saw where it is stored and just don't see a reason for the block.... :?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I don't know-- would have to ask the people who write such software. :) But every time I've troubleshooted that type of issue with someone it has turned out to be the fault of an ad blocker of some sort.
  • patruns 10 Points
    In this case it is Firefox with the AdBlock Plus extension.......
  • dhn 336 Points
    The new mapping makes the same error as all the others (TeleAtlas, etc) in that if I put in my own address into Google, the marker does get placed in front of my house but the info on the screen (streetview) shows it as the wrong address (136 instead of 174).

In all of my unit's maps, if I select my address as 'Home', it places it about 8 houses away from where it really is.

• Tim 1480 Points
    Another quick summary of the changes by The Map Room. I too am seeing many driveways labeled as streets.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Wow, a blog about maps!! :P

Wonder if you-know-who ( :D ) will start one.......

Nice that this site got mentioned, eh?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Jon and I have exchanged links a few times before and we share a common interest in astronomy.