Do Garmin map updates follow a schedule?

Do Garmin map updates follow a schedule? I need to update my GPS but don't want to purchase an update, a month or two before them posting a NEW update.

C

Comments

• next will be end of july most likely
  • Tim 1297 Points
    See the When is the next Garmin map update? thread right at the top of this forum. ;)
  • Carbo 0 Points
    C
    Yes. When corporate earnings are down.
  • sviking 141 Points
    C

Yes. When corporate earnings are down.
    I love getting my two "free" map updates approximately every quarter. I paid about the same price for ONE map update with my lifetime subscriptions. After the first update or two...it's all gravy. :wink:
  • cmoore55 0 Points
    Yes, I saw the lifetime option. That may in fact be the way to go, I assume that is for "my" lifetime not the liftime of my specific GPS unit. Ill have to take a look at the terms and conditions.

Lost my Job at the very end of last year so I'm watching my pennies right now.

Thanks

:)
  • Tim 1297 Points
    I assume that is for "my" lifetime not the liftime of my specific GPS unit.
    No, it is locked to the device it was purchased for. It is the lifetime of the GPS.
  • Yes, I saw the lifetime option. That may in fact be the way to go, I assume that is for "my" lifetime not the liftime of my specific GPS unit. Ill have to take a look at the terms and conditions.

Lost my Job at the very end of last year so I'm watching my pennies right now.

Thanks

:)
    Your assumption is wrong...it's for the lifetime of your Nuvi.
  • cmoore55 0 Points
    Would't be the 1st time I assumed wrongly.

Thanks

:D
  • alanb 215 Points
    Just to be clear, it is for the lifetime of the nuvi, but not transferrable to a new owner.
  • rus 0 Points
    If one was to sell their nuvi and let the new owner keep the log in info the new owner would have the lifetime map updates.

If one bought another nuvi he/she could create a new, different log in account.

Right?
  • N8NQU 0 Points
    I just got one about 20 minutes ago( Nuvi 885T ) and I would like to know where do I have to go to find which version of map it has and since it's a refurbished unit does it qualify for a free update????????? Thanks Bill.N8NQU 73... :)
  • Tim 1297 Points
    Tools -> Settings -> Map -> Map Info (if I recall correctly.) Yes, refurbished devices typically qualify.
  • N8NQU 0 Points
    Thank you.Bill :)
  • sviking 141 Points
    Just to be clear, it is for the lifetime of the nuvi, but not transferrable to a new owner.
    Yes, unfortunately that is true. Even if you hand it down to a family member and follow the "letter of the law". :roll:

But, that doesn't mean people don't circumvent that stupid policy...
  • sviking 141 Points
    If one was to sell their nuvi and let the new owner keep the log in info the new owner would have the lifetime map updates.
    True, but... If you have other units registered, especially, do you really want some stranger poking around in YOUR account, presumably with YOUR personal info? What if you had subscriptions on other units and that guy, for whatever reason, just "decided" to change the password? What if you buy a new unit and need to register that one? You couldn't use your real name/info...unless you originally registered the old one under a fake name, but why would you even do that?
    If one bought another nuvi he/she could create a new, different log in account.

Right?
    Sure, go ahead and create another free/fake account, but what would be the point? The lifetime subscriptions have their own registration (along with ALSO being tied to a specific unit) and would be permanently tied to the account under which it was originally registered. Creating another account would solve nothing at all.