Help! Weird Icon Shows Up When I Plug In Navigon 2100

lady0fdarkness 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Hello guys, I have a Navigon 2100. In the past it worked great, but just recently every time I plug it into the car charger, a weird icon shows up. It won't go to the GPS screen to allow me to start navigating while I drive. Instead and immediately, it just shows a picture of a computer connected to something that looks like a card or a Navigon.

I thought that the charger was acting up so I bought a new car charger, plus a wall charger. When I plug it into the new wall charger or the new car charger, it does the same thing!!!! Help!!! Could it be a corrupted update that I did or is my Navigon screwed up???

Anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• dhn 201 Points
    I've altered your message. Please use appropriate language in your posts. Thanks for your understanding. ---- moderator.
  • Sorry, I was just very frustrated with my problem.
  • gatorguy 196 Points
    That's usually a symptom of an incorrect power supply. Did the issue raise it's ugly head with the original car power supply, and there's no power splitter in use?
  • yes it did the same problem with the old car charger. It goes away when I unplug it. It seems to work fine when I unplug it from a charger.
  • this is how it looks like.

• bigperk 0 Points
    Sounds like you are not using a Navigon-supplied car cable? It may well not recognise other cables properly as gatorguy says, including the one you just bought if it's not a Navigon one. When it DID work OK what cable were you using?

Offhand it sounds like you need to buy a compatible car-charging cable from Navigon.

btw, the wall charger does make it show the picture you show, meaning it thinks it's connected to a computer - there's obviously something in the (proper!) car cable that tells it it's being used used for navigation.
  • it started doing that even with the original charger that came with the navigon.
  • bigperk 0 Points
    Has anyone you know got a compatible unit + car charger so you could try their cable? Sounds like either the original cable went wrong or your satnav needs attention! (But don't know how you get Navigon's attention in the US these days, unless the iphone market is livening them up a bit :evil: , though I think I have seen a mention of someone sending their satnav back to Germany).

Or, maybe the auxiliary power supply in you car has gone off spec slightly. Not likely I guess, but have you tried connecting the unit in a friend's car?

... out of ideas ... :shock:
  • Ice98 0 Points
    you could perhaps try using a different SD card and see if this helps, that is the icon that shows up when connected to a computer, so somehow or other, your unit thinks its plugged into a PC, which it is not

if your not taking long trips, you could always use it without the charger, i neglect to plug mine in all the time, on the flip side, my 12v sockets in my car are "always on" so i can leave it powered all night long to charge, and not deal with the power cord in the morning
  • ovrclckd 0 Points
    i got a cheap durabrand charger from walmart for my bluetooth that works with my 2120.
  • Spyder63 221 Points
    Have you read these threads? 7200t Car charger problems,7200T car power cord HELP

You're not alone. If you go the replacement route there is a 12v power cord on Amazon for $7.94 but not OEM. Item KHOI1971 No idea if it works as advertised. A well known, reputable vendor, Gilsson, does offer Navigon power and data cables, but at a much higher cost.
  • I have two navigon 2100 and one I have the same problem as you with the computer icon. I have not found a fix but I can tell you what I have tried.

I swapped the car power cords and still get computer icon.

I swapped SD cards and still get computer icon.

I have opened up the unit and unplugged the batter with no luck.

The unit will charge via a wall charger or Car charger but it will only work if it is unplugged.

My other unit works just fine even with the broken units car cord and sd card.

I know I have not giving you a fix, but I may save you from buying another power cord is SD card.

I may try to remove the batter and hotwire a power cord to it. I would rather HAVE to plug it in then run on only that battery. If that works, i will let you know.
  • Spyder63 221 Points
    It's been over 3 months since the OP told her/his tale of woe regarding the 12v power cable. No idea how it turned out for her.

In your case you do seem to have eliminated the question of trying a different power cable as a solution. Based on the OPs original post hers did work and then stopped working with her original power cord. Possiblly a pin broke or is bent. They are quite small and fragile.

As a last resort is there a chance you can return or exchange your errant gps?

BTW I don't think the SD card has anything to do with the problem.

Good luck and let us know if you do find a solution.
  • I agree. Because I have two of the Navigon 2100- I wanted to let people know what I have tried.

I also took the unit apart and looked for a short or loose wire but nothing.

I have read that if the Mini USB cable does not have pin 4 and 5 tied together, that can trip the GPS into PC mode. That makes me think in the unit itself, the pin 4 and 5 are not tied together. Maybe it got dropped and that connection broke. I may try to jump the pins and see what happens.

As a last resort, I may remove the battery and hard wire a car charger reduced to 3.7 volts into the unit and have the unit as a plug in only. I know this is extreme but right now the unit seems to be trashed. battery life is not long enough for trips.

I have had the GPS to long ot return it. I love the features but it doesn;t help out much when it dies from a dead battery.
  • The problem is that almost ALL "Type A" (aka "Mini-" or "Mini-B") USB chargers have the "data" lines (pins 2&3) connected (not floating out there, unconnected) and the "X" pin ( which is labeled pin "X", but is physically pin #4, where labeled "pin 4" is actually the 5th pin) is rarely "Grounded" to the 5th pin (aka labeled "Pin 4").

See below:
    http://pinouts.ru/GPS/navigon_charger_pinout.shtml

Hopefully this helps someone else.
  • The tip of my power gizmo broke. I used a Garmin power cord, but got the display of a computer and remote device. I tried several other cords, but got the same result - as soon as I plug into the cigarette lighter, the computer display appears.

I finally solved this by going to Radio Shack and getting a Gigaware GPS Car Charger, part #20449. My Navigon 2100 is now working again!
  • Radio shack sold me a rocketfish power cord and that did not work.

Too late to bring it back too.

The cable must be the problem...........right????
  • The issue was how the pins connect to the Navigon. Other cables may fit the Navigon power opening, but the pins must be in the correct order or the unit will not work. When I bought my cord, I went directly to my car and tried it out. If it didn't work, I would have gone right back to Radio Shack and gotten a refund.

Hope this helps!
  • Sounds like you are not using a Navigon-supplied car cable? It may well not recognise other cables properly as gatorguy says, including the one you just bought if it's not a Navigon one. When it DID work OK what cable were you using?

Offhand it sounds like you need to buy a compatible car-charging cable from Navigon.

btw, the wall charger does make it show the picture you show, meaning it thinks it's connected to a computer - there's obviously something in the (proper!) car cable that tells it it's being used used for navigation.
    It means that your Navigon is requiring a firmware update. Connect it to the computer and download the latest software and it will go away.
  • Hi,
    I read online somewhere to try the Gigaware GPS car charger. I was skeptical because so many people said different things. My daughter was leaving for college the next morning & I wanted her to have it and be able to use it for long drives as she was going more than 3 hours away and the charge runs out pretty quick. Well, I ran up to Radio Shack as that's where the person said he got his. It was 5 minutes to 9 - and they closed at 9. The sales person said they didn't have it and to try tomorrow as they were getting a delivery of that exact item (strange that he knew this right off the top of his head??) When I told him my daughter was leaving in the morning for school and it would be too late - lo & behold he found 5 of them on the rack which could clearly be seen from where he was standing!! Anyway - it worked!!! I was happy even though the salesman was an idiot. javascript:emoticon(':D')