This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Garmin Nuvi 295w with Wi-fi

A new member of the Garmin family is set to appear within days. The nuvi 295 is quite a change from previous nuvi models. Set to include automatic portrait or landscape view, a 3mp geo-tagged camera, audio out and yes, wi-fi hotspot connectivity. That allows for an HTML web browser, email, viewing attachments that include PDF and JPEGS along with Powerpoint, Word and Excel files. The wi-fi enabled 295 also offers Google Local Search with customer ratings. No traffic model is included yet, but I'm sure it will be announced soon enough. Looks like a good match for those wanting to avoid recurring data charges, but like the form-factor of the smartphones. At just $280, the price is right too. Available starting May 16th.

@ Amazon

Comments

• gatorguy 325 Points
    And a video to go with it of course :)

• alanb 539 Points
    No mention of saved multi-point routes, so I assume it is doesn't have that feature.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Probably a good assumption, since it appears to be the entry-level in a new line.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    It is kind of confusing that this GPS has a 3.5" display, but is still named a "w" due to the aspect ratio. I guess we could have a 1.5" display that is "w". :) Unless the "w" in this case means "wi-fi", which would be equally confusing.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    edited May 2010
    So is this like a Nuvifone without the phone part kinda? Does it only have wi-fi because I see it uses Google local.
  • alanb 539 Points
    The model numbering will also add to the confusion ... I thought Garmin was going to 4 digit numbers on new units. This one appears to have the multi-media features of the 7xx/8xx, flexible display orientation like the new 37xx units, navigation features and model numbering like the 2x5 units. Wow.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    I always figured the W was for widescreen, which the 295 appears to be. But I agree it may confuse those who equate it with 4.3" screens. At least it's not a traditional 3.5".
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I took "w" to mean widescreen as well. The question becomes does "wide" mean "big" or "aspect ratio". In this case Garmin is using it as aspect ratio, but I think people generally look at it as "big". I suppose this means we could have a device with a 5" screen that wasn't "w".?.?
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    I expect everything going forward will be widescreen. In the case of the Motonav, some wider than others :)
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    This one suddenly makes sense. Notice a passing resemblance to a recent smartphone that didn't sell well? Perhaps the G60? I'll bet the guts have more than a passing resemblance too.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    one more nuvi model (along with an equally confusing model number) to further confuse the masses.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    At least it may be the only one in the line. Perhaps even an Amazon exclusive. Once the existing G60 hardware is gone. . .

That would help explain the odd model number.
  • navxguy 0 Points
    So is this like a Nuvifone without the phone part kinda?
    bingo ... maybe they had surplus parts left over from nuvifone and decided to strip out the cellular component. :shock: not a bad idea since you have the platform, even just to test consumer response. interesting
  • Cg006 0 Points
    Crossing my fingers for maybe a garmin 795 series?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    What an oddity. You would expect it to be part of the Nuvi 2x5 series. Product page is now on Garmin's site, so I don't think it's an Amazon model.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=73079

According to the specs, it does have custom routing with auto-sort and 10 stored routes.
  • darrengsaw 0 Points
    What are they doing?

This is a really odd device.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Your fingers are gonna get numb if you cross them for that long. :lol:

Gator has nailed it... this is clearly a Nuvifone G60 re-purposed as a Nuvi. I'm sure Garmin has a lot of parts lying around that they want to get rid of. The new 3700 series would appear to be the direction that the Nuvi is really taking.

Judge for yourself:

Nuvifone G60

Nuvi 295w
  • Tim 1480 Points
    It is odd, and while I don't think they will sell a huge amount of them, it does fit into a narrow niche of products where there could have been a void in the past.

I'm imagining someone taking a two week vacation in another country who otherwise doesn't need or have a smartphone. They want to check email and do light surfing while away, they want navigation while away and think they might occasionally use it for navigation when back home too. While on vacation they would also use it in pedestrian mode.

Given this scenario it might have made sense to include both North America and Europe mapping, but perhaps just the single city (CityXplorer) maps would work fine too without too much extra cost.

I don't think they are going to sell a ton of these things, but I think there is a small group of people looking for this type of device.
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Tim: I agree. And for $280, it's not such a bad deal. On a vacation, nothing would make you look more like a "tourist" than walking around staring at one of the current automotive Nuvi's. But everybody, in the US and elsewhere, walks around staring at their phones so a product like this makes good sense.

This Nuvifone was ripped by the reviewers (including a particularly nasty one that said "do not buy" in the review title), but people tended to agree that the GPS functions were excellent. So maybe they have found a good use for all that unsold inventory.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    This could turn out to be the smartest Nuvifone related decision Garmin has made yet. :lol:

{sorry, couldn't resist.}
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    So true! :D
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    No disagreement here. But it does highlight a potential Garmin advantage. They can play in the mobile smartphone market and what doesn't stick can be repurposed quite easily. Should be less waste.

Wonder if a WinMo nuvi 595 is right around the corner. :)
  • Cg006 0 Points

Your fingers are gonna get numb if you cross them for that long. :lol:

Gator has nailed it... this is clearly a Nuvifone G60 re-purposed as a Nuvi. I'm sure Garmin has a lot of parts lying around that they want to get rid of. The new 3700 series would appear to be the direction that the Nuvi is really taking.

I can only wish :)lol
    i really dont like the fact the 3700 omitted the connected services and no mp3. I may cave in and send back the 765 if the 3700 is all its crancked up to be
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Picked up a tweet today mentioning that the 295 has a tri-axial compass, appropriate for off-road use. That's quite a surprise. Overall this looks like a very good full-featured model. :D
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I would have been surprised if that wasn't in it-- after all it is a Nuvifone in camouflage. :)
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    The surprise is that it's not mentioned anywhere in the features. :shock:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Touché-- but if you look at what/who the device is targeted for most won't have any use for the feature nor understand what it is.

Still, I can no longer say I can't think of any street/auto GPS devices with an electronic compass.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    It would be nice to see an unbiased review of either the 295 or Garmin's upcoming 3700's. They look like they share much of the same interface. Both are also very unique in the current industry lineup. The last nuvi review here was the 760 back in 2007. You up for one Tim? :)
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    At least it may be the only one in the line. Perhaps even an Amazon exclusive. Once the existing G60 hardware is gone. . .

That would help explain the odd model number.
    Posted elsewhere today that it is an Amazon exclusive. And the price is just $199. If you're in the market for a "connected" type device with no fees, this one is certainly worthy of a look IMHO.
  • alanb 539 Points
    Too bad they didn't put Lane Assist on it. Otherwise it has a nice feature set.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Agreed about the exclusion of Lane Assist which has become a "must-have" feature for me that I sorely miss when driving the GF's car with the 750 in it. She continues to favor the 750 since she does not drive freeways (Lane Assist is useless to her) but needs the upcoming street displayed in the green info banner, a feature which is absent in the newest models.
  • rjmlakota 181 Points
    I'm coming from a Garmin 376c. I'm still getting use to the 295w, but, so far love it. The only thing I don't understand with the Nuvi is why doesn't the map show gas stations, restaurants, etc... when navigating a route?

I notice that when I touch the screen and move the pointer those icons will appear. With my 376C those icons were always on the screen when driving. With the Nuvi 295w the only thing I see on the screen when driving are the roads.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,

RJ
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    You would have to ask Garmin - that's the way most of the Nuvi line behaves, with the lone exception of the 855. It has a POI sub menu in the map settings which you can choose which categories to display on the map. They are visible through the .3 mile zoom range. The Nuvi 5000 (recently discontinued) also had this feature.
  • sviking 141 Points
    Wonder if it will support flash animation, unlike the iPad...
  • rjrsw 0 Points
    So far I have to say I'm very pleased with the new 295W.

I bought one last Monday on the $149 Gold Box deal and so far I have to say I'm very pleased.

Things that I really like and I'm impressed with:

Wi-Fi was easy to set up even with WEP security enabled network and once a location is set up it automatically logs in when you are in that wi-fi area the next time.

Email account setup with Gmail account amounted to just entering the email address and password the unit knew the rest of the settings

Build quality is very good and feels solid and touch screen is accurate and responsive.

Software is very intuitive and updates and custom POI's are done just like any other Nuvi.

The web browser is slow but functions and was easy to enter and log on to websites using password and username entry boxes.

Screen is smaller than my old 885T but still no problem reading it in the car and very clear display.

The "Panoramio Photos" function under where to menu is cool and when you go on it connects with wi-fi and shows photos people have posted that are near your present location. If you see something shown you would like to see you just hit save and it now shows up in your favorites under photos category and you just select it and hit go and it takes you to the location where the photo was taken.

Must say so far very pleased and glad I bought it and should come in handy in a lot of situations especially when traveling! :D
  • Thanks!
    Thinking of buying this unit.
    It seems to have some features of an android pad...I have one of those, and it was poorly chosen. :(

This is particularly interesting because of its lower cost now...

DaveL
  • Target direct for $90 Cdn and tax.

:)

DaveL