Magellan offering models with single, lifetime map updates
  • elvisfan
    I looked at the new units on their web site. It looks like they use the same software as the 1470,1440,etc. This looks good for Magellen still supporting our units. Since Magellan has never offered 4 map updates a year, I wonder if they will now. You could pay more for the free lifetime map updates and never see an update. Those of us with 1470s or 1440, etc. are still waiting. Their web site says as long as they are provided.
    I also noticed that the main map screen, when it is not routing does not show the current street that you are on. That is interesting because all the current models do.
    I wonder if they will still occasionally show"Your unit needs to be restarted to increase performance"
  • RRPND
    If Magellan actually follows through on this, it will be a big change of direction for them. I have a 4350 that I love the features of, but the maps are two years old. I bought a 2200T and then converted it to a Crossover which I really enjoy, but that was the one and only map update ever offered for that unit. I just bought a TomTom, because they seem to do a better job of supporting their products after the sale. It seems like Magellan hasn't figured out yet that there is money to be made on these products after the initial sale on map updates etc. I wish Magellan the best, and hope they can stay relavent in the market. If they improve their support in the future, I will give them another chance because I do like their products.
  • Doug
    Hmmm, Magellan has some new stuff out but still no Maestro 4700 software update... it seems previous owners are stuck, even Pnd4me no longer talks about that release going to happen. Maybe it's accurate to assume they have now dropped that support effort too?

Can't for the life of me figure this company's support out, they've never finished the software for the 4700 nor come out with a map upgrade for it while TomTom and Garmin have done both for their competitive models released about the same time. The new Roadmates appear to just be repackaging with some 'lifetime" maps and traffic, meanwhile Garmin comes out with some truly new stuff.

Ah well, I've owned the 700 series, a 4040 and the 4700, the first 2 were good but the last has been a pain, even after warranty exchange. Guess it's time to let this one run it's course and move on to one of the relevant brands after that.
  • Marc
    One of the frustrating things I have found about Magellan, through the past few compnay takeovers is the trend to quickly abandon support for their older units as soon as they release the next generation. It is just one more strike against their customer support. This started way back when they issued the Triton handhelds and refused to issue firmware upadates to correct WAAS satellite problems on their older handhelds.
  • PND4ME
    Doug said:

Hmmm, Magellan has some new stuff out but still no Maestro 4700 software update... it seems previous owners are stuck, even Pnd4me no longer talks about that release going to happen. Maybe it's accurate to assume they have now dropped that support effort too?

Can't for the life of me figure this company's support out, they've never finished the software for the 4700 nor come out with a map upgrade for it while TomTom and Garmin have done both for their competitive models released about the same time. The new Roadmates appear to just be repackaging with some 'lifetime" maps and traffic, meanwhile Garmin comes out with some truly new stuff.

Ah well, I've owned the 700 series, a 4040 and the 4700, the first 2 were good but the last has been a pain, even after warranty exchange. Guess it's time to let this one run it's course and move on to one of the relevant brands after that.

I have tested both the 4700 and the 4350/4370 updates, not sure why they are not releasing it, I guess they are waiting for fresher maps that makes a bigger differrence or maybe some other reasons. I have the tested the maps but can't tell you when they will release it and why they don't. Sorry
  • gatorguy
    Some excerpts from today's press release:

"Magellan today announced the latest generation of the RoadMate series of portable vehicle navigation devices. The new series includes models in a variety of screen sizes and feature sets to meet any consumer navigation needs. At its core, the new line is designed to bring daily relevance to the GPS navigator by helping consumers get to new and familiar places quicker.

Now, Magellan’s new 2010 RoadMate navigators all come with integrated Free Lifetime Live Traffic. This service, which is provided to Magellan customers, keeps the Magellan RoadMate apprised of any traffic conditions that may delay the drive and calculates route options for the driver to choose from. Magellan has overhauled the traffic interface to provide a higher level of control and now additionally focuses on flow reporting which detects traffic congestion and not just reported accidents. The GPS navigator’s primary benefit is no longer only to direct drivers to new places. Now, the Magellan RoadMate also gets you to places you may know well but gets you there quicker.

The 2010 Magellan RoadMate line maintains the comprehensive features consumers have come to expect. The entire RoadMate lineup boasts the exclusive OneTouch personalization feature allowing you to save favorite places, categories and searches. All models also feature spoken street names, 6 million points of interest, QuickSpell for error-free address entry and multi-destination routing. Each of the 2010 RoadMates come with specialized parking features such as the Automatic Parking Lot Finder which identifies local parking lots once you arrive at your destination. Then, with the Find Your Car feature, records the location of your car and directs you to it. – handy when locating your car in large parking lots.

The series includes many models with a wide variety of features so you can pick the device most suited to your driving needs. Most models at no extra charge, include the AAA Tourbook which is exclusive to Magellan. With AAA’s famous Tourbook integrated in your Magellan navigator, restaurant and hotel research is easier than ever. Highway Lane Assist gives you clear visual guidance of which lane you should start heading towards for your next maneuver. No more missing your exit because you’re in the wrong lane. Bluetooth models give you the convenience and safety of hands-free talking when used with a Bluetooth enabled phone. You can find these features on screen sizes ranging from 4.3″ to 4.7″ to 5″ for the viewing experience you desire.

Some models are also available with “free” future map upgrades to ensure that your Magellan RoadMate stays up to date. If you’d like even more security, The Magellan RoadMate 3045-LM comes with a lifetime upgrade option in which you are able to upgrade your maps four times a year for the life of the product at no additional charge!

The ultimate navigator is found in the top-of-the-line Magellan RoadMate 3065 Commuter which is designed with added features to help you get through your daily commute. It has the same subscription-free live traffic service shared by the rest of the 2010 family but the Commuter goes a step further. The Commuter adds the innovative new Traffic Wake-up function which automatically powers on the GPS device and has your real-time traffic updates ready when you need them.

“The traffic system that all GPS units use must prioritize which traffic condition data to send. Unfortunately, that means your standard traffic GPS may not have the full picture when it is first turned on,” said Mike Wagner, Senior Director of Product Marketing for Magellan. “Magellan recognized the challenge this posed to commuters and developed the only GPS navigator with the Traffic Wake-up feature. Two times a day the Magellan RoadMate 3065 Commuter will wake itself up 30 minutes before your pre-determined commute starts and begins gathering traffic information. By the time you slide behind the wheel, your 3065 Commuter is loaded with the optimal route for the day’s commute.”

Another customized Commuter feature is Periodic Reporting, which provides detailed information to track mileage for business use for expense reports and tax purposes. This allows a user to track their mileage and use this information for business expense reports and year end tax filing, all with a touch of a button."
  • mutt_lover
    I had decided to get the 1475T, BJs warehouse club has a great price. Now that the new models have come out I was wondering if the 3045-LM is worth the extra money. Has anyone on the boards have any experience with the 3045? What are its advantages over the 1475T? I was looking at the FAQ for the 3045-LM and see several know issues that they are working on. Any advice is appreciated.
  • Doug
    As I recall Pnd4me was testing those updates way back in February, nearly 4 months ago and that's at the heart of Magellan's problem. The 4700's 2.20 update came out last year (a technology lifetime ago), you trialed the new update 4 months ago and in the interim the company has released no progress notices, customer service gives the basic "we don't have a clue" response and the owners of their units end up disappointed and frustrated.

The Magellan organization seems to exhibit all the signs of a group with no basic understanding of customer service needs or building long-term repeat customer loyalty and referral business and instead models the used-car lot guy who sells you once and calls out "next sucker please"...sad because they didn't used to be that way, just can't figure when they went off the rails.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!