This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

MotoNav Traffic feature

MadHatter 0 Points
edited November -1 in Motorola MotoNav
It seems like my TN555 has the traffic subscription (Navteq is listed, avoidances are selected). But I have seen no indication that it is working. No list of traffic jams,etc. Am I missing something?

Comments

• Spyder63 331 Points
    Is traffic data turned on? Goto Settings > Traffic

You can check here for coverage in your area:

NAVTEQ Traffic-RDS collects, processes, and distributes real-time traffic conditions from a spectrum of traffic information sources across 94 Markets in North America.

Coverage locations can be found here: http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/ or the US map locations here: http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/index_150.htm

If you don't have coverage you are SOL until you enter a covered area. I would think your location should be covered by either, or both, Baltimore and DC.
  • MadHatter 0 Points
    Yup...traffic data is on..there are options for automatic avoid, alert, avoid and subscription status. Subscription status shows Navteq lifetime.

And in Columbia, you're right it is covered by BAltimore and DC.

So all this indicates an active traffic subscription.

Still, I see no alerts or any listing of traffic hotspots in the area.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited June 2010
    Just to cover a few more bases - Traffic will only work when you have the gps in the cradle and powered on by 12v.

The Moto specs indicate that Traffic on a TN555 is Optional; purchase through MOTOEXTRAS.

The Moto manual shows the following

FREE traffic service is included on MOTONAV TN700 Series and device model numbers that end in "t" or with the purchase of a cradle.

Also in the manual (page 28 )
    When you have traffic service, it’s automatically turned on.
    Find it tap the map, then tap Main Menu > Settings > Traffic

The manual also indicated that there is a setting called Signal Status - See the strength of the signal from the traffic alert provider.

Even on my 765T I have never seen this setting show up because I have never been in a traffic coverage area.

Bottom line - there is a chance you do not have traffic coverage even though the settings are on the gps.
  • MadHatter 0 Points
    Yes, I know it's optional on my unit. Which was why I was surprised to see the settings (like you I see some not all).

I also know it's available only when the unit is in the charging cradle.

So you're right, maybe just poor coverage in this area. Navteq's coverage here pales in comparison to Clear Channel Traffic...

Thanks for the troubleshooting.

I'm looking forward to being able to install some of the neat tools when they become available (e.g., 3D landmarks).

Oh..and 10 GPS devices in 1 month...definitely a nightmare. trust me. The TN555 is the best of the bunch so far...
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Oh..and 10 GPS devices in 1 month...definitely a nightmare. trust me. The TN555 is the best of the bunch so far...
    Look up! Is there a little black cloud following you around? :shock:

Let us know IF traffic ever starts to work for you.
  • MadHatter 0 Points
    :) That's my brother's theory: that I am some kind of dark cloud or electronics jinx.

So far, no indication of traffic. Maybe I should hop on the beltway tomorrow morning (i normally avoid the DC beltway).
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    You may have already looked at this - If you have a route set up and go to Settings > Traffic and then scroll down to Signal Status you can at least see if your gps is automatically scanning different FM frequencies while trying to find a station that has TMC/RDS data imbedded in a subcarrier. I have no idea what it would look like if one was in a decent coverage area and had a good signal since I have never seen traffic show up either.

In a "wish list" I sent Moto support one thing I asked for was a signal reception indicator on the main screen. A small icon like they have for bluetooth, gps signal, etc.

Clear Channel/TotalTraffic/Inrix does have coverage in my area. It's too bad, in my case, Moto did not choose them as their provider. I don't need traffic info on a day to day basis fortunately. I would certainly be a little concerned if I was in your area and did not have it.

Hopefully you know the FM antenna is in the power cord - not sure if the receiver is in the 12v plug or internal to the gps. If I disconnect the power cord from the back of the cradle FM signal goes away. Plug back in and signal resumes in a few seconds.
  • MadHatter 0 Points
    Thanks, Spyder63. I'll try it when i leave work later today. I'll let you know how it goes.

I was under the impression (from details provided at amazon.com) that the traffic receiver was in the charging dock.

If there is no traffic data, they do sell an Alternate Car Kit Navigation Kit for MOTONAV GPS Navigators for around $60. The cradle allows for streaming traffic.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I see you are correct that the traffic receiver is in the cradle. Thanks for reminding me about the alternate car kit. If it was $20 cheaper - and someday it might be - I would consider getting it as a backup if for no other reason.

Unfortunately all the trips I have planned in the near future don't involve going through any of the coverage areas for traffic so I will continue to be in the dark and clueless on how well it works and what you see.

I would be interested in knowing if it does still show traffic reports if you are not on a calculated route. It is supposed to. The fact that the slide in traffic window seems to only indicate traffic problems "on your route" bothers me a little in that it perhaps is the only time you will see info - on a route.
  • dhn 336 Points
    Spyder, ask your question again here in the thread you started by the same name and then I can delete that thread.
  • MadHatter 0 Points
    I see you are correct that the traffic receiver is in the cradle. Thanks for reminding me about the alternate car kit. If it was $20 cheaper - and someday it might be - I would consider getting it as a backup if for no other reason.

I would be interested in knowing if it does still show traffic reports if you are not on a calculated route. It is supposed to. The fact that the slide in traffic window seems to only indicate traffic problems "on your route" bothers me a little in that it perhaps is the only time you will see info - on a route.
    No traffic updates on my trip home.

The alternate kit costs $59. If it comes with the updates (i.e., no additional fees), I'll buy it.
  • moondog151 41 Points
    In answer to your question Spyder 63, if the traffic alerts show up when NOT in a calculated route, the answer to that is YES, it sure does. Since I travel over the NY State Thruway twice a day, I definately see alerts that are not in my route, up to 30 or so miles away. Also, in the last 5 or so weeks, I have only seen the traffic adds pop up twice in my traveling, which is every day. They will appear in the top right hand corner, and are small and rectangular in length, and do not really seem all that bothersome. The adds don`t really block out the map area at all, being so small. Just FYI.........
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Thanks for confirming Traffic works all the time.
  • MadHatter 0 Points
    You may have already looked at this - If you have a route set up and go to Settings > Traffic and then scroll down to Signal Status you can at least see if your gps is automatically scanning different FM frequencies while trying to find a station that has TMC/RDS data imbedded in a subcarrier. I have no idea what it would look like if one was in a decent coverage area and had a good signal since I have never seen traffic show up either.
    I ordered and received the alternate car kit. Definitely a difference. I can check the signal strength as you indicated before. This was not possible with the cradle I received with the unit. Furthermore, when I tap the screen to pull up the menu on the left half of the screen, not only do I see POIs and the other standard options such as aerial view, I am also able to see an option for traffic (again a difference from the original cradle).

I haven't programmed a route yet, but I will soon. Then I'll know if it was worth the expense.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Glad to hear you now have Traffic. So, it would appear your 555 did not have a traffic subscription as purchased? Now it makes me wonder if the the traffic receiver is not built in to the 555 gps cradle? Did you have to go through any setup procedure with the accessory kit to invoke traffic or just plug-n-play? Any chance you have tried the original cradle to see if you still get traffic? Not that important to know, just curious. In my mind just trying to narrow down the actual location of the traffic receiver with different models.
  • MadHatter 0 Points
    Glad to hear you now have Traffic. So, it would appear your 555 did not have a traffic subscription as purchased? Now it makes me wonder if the the traffic receiver is not built in to the 555 gps cradle? Did you have to go through any setup procedure with the accessory kit to invoke traffic or just plug-n-play? Any chance you have tried the original cradle to see if you still get traffic? Not that important to know, just curious. In my mind just trying to narrow down the actual location of the traffic receiver with different models.
    It was plug and play.

Looking at the base of both cradles, you see a difference in the metal leads that connect the cradle to the GPS itself. Specifically, the unit with traffic has a greater number of leads than the non-traffic cradle. So I think if I used the old cradle, I would lose the traffic signal.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Thanks. Now we know... the rest of the story. :) Once again we mere mortals have managed to deprive the Universe of another great mystery. :roll: Here's hoping your lane is always open and the creeks don't rise. :lol: