1450 friction mount, which one?
  • daddysbike
    When searching for a friction mount for the 1450 I just ordered most show the popular models # 010-10908-00 and #010-11280-00
    instead of either #010-10908-02 or #010-11280-02 which are listed under accessories for the 1450 (and the 4inch 765). Will either work? the first two are easier to find. Are the models ending in 02 just a later version? any difference?

Thanks,

Steve
  • nutcase
    See this thread for more info. The difference between the "-00" and "-02" versions is whether the item is in a blister-pack a cardboard box.

The difference between the 010-10908 and 010-11280 is beanbag vs. bendy silicone(?). There have been discussions that say the bendy silicone(?) version leaves a sticky residue on the dash -- which isn't the case with the beanbag mount.

I've been using the beanbag mount for almost a decade -- originally with my StreetPilot III and now with a nuvi 765.
  • daddysbike
    nutcase said:

See

I've been using the beanbag mount for almost a decade -- originally with my StreetPilot III and now with a nuvi 765.

Thanks,
    Which beanbag would work for the 1490 and what exactly would I need?

Steve

• Which beanbag would work for the 1490 and what exactly would I need?

Steve

Garmin Part Number: 010-10908-00 or 010-10908-02 (both are the same- different packaging)

Nothing else is needed.

Garmin 1490T Accessories....> https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=36082#accessoryTab
  • daddysbike

Which beanbag would work for the 1490 and what exactly would I need?

Steve

Garmin Part Number: 010-10908-00 or 010-10908-02 (both are the same- different packaging)

Nothing else is needed.

Garmin 1490T Accessories....> https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=36082#accessoryTab

That photo is the friction mount correct? is the beanbag any different?

Steve

• Which beanbag would work for the 1490 and what exactly would I need?

Steve

Nothing else is needed.

Steve

A "beanbag" is a type of friction mount. Garmin markets two types of friction mounts. One being a 'beanbag' design and the other a "silicon" type. Capisce??

Please peruse the link I provided you with above.
  • nutcase

As lost states, there are two styles of "Portable Friction Mount": "beanbag" (pictured), and "silicone" (or "silicon" ).

Both "beanbag" and "silicone" are informal terms used by the community to differentiate the two since Garmin makes no distinction in their naming.
  • Which one looks more like a beanbag?

1. imagePortable Friction Mount 010-10908-02

2. imagePortable Friction Mount 010-11280-02
  • daddysbike

Which one looks more like a beanbag?

1. imagePortable Friction Mount 010-10908-02

2. imagePortable Friction Mount 010-11280-02

Thanks I just wanted to be sure there wasn't another of these.

Steve
  • daddysbike
    What about this?
    Dashboard Mount 010-10747-02

I'm o.k. with the permanent tape/glue since I keep my vehicles until the wheels fall off as long as it works. I could also have one of these in each of our 4 vehicles and use the 765T or 1450.

Steve
  • What about this?
    Dashboard Mount 010-10747-02

I'm o.k. with the permanent tape/glue since I keep my vehicles until the wheels fall off as long as it works. I could also have one of these in each of our 4 vehicles and use the 765T or 1450.

Steve

Only YOU can decide what is best for you.

That mount is part of the 10-10908-02 Friction mount assembly. It's attached to the base with 4 screws.

Why buy 4 mounts (fixed) when 2 (portable) will do the job, plus you can use the friction mounts if you drive another vehicle (rental) or are going somewhere with friends who don't have a GPS. Another plus for the friction mount is it can be located in different positions to suit the whim of the driver. (versatile)

Most of the time I drive with my Nuvi on the 10-10980 positioned on the console, but at other times position it on the dash either to the right or left of the steering wheel.
  • daddysbike
    My 1450 just came in today. I was considering the sticky dash mount as I read a few reviews that mention the friction mounts loose their stickiness after a year or two??
    My wife said she doesn't like the idea of permanent sticky on the dash and I do think I'd prefer the friction mount if they stay put so now its back to deciding which one.

Thanks,

Steve
  • My 1450 just came in today. I was considering the sticky dash mount as I read a few reviews that mention the friction mounts loose their stickiness after a year or two??
    My wife said she doesn't like the idea of permanent sticky on the dash and I do think I'd prefer the friction mount if they stay put so now its back to deciding which one.

Thanks,

Steve

The 10-10908 isn't "sticky" and with normal use it should keep going and going! Modern synthetic polymers don't deteriorate or harden like natural rubber compounds did.
  • daddysbike
    Thank you for your patience while I beat this poor dead horse. I just ordered the 10-10980 and expect to be satisfied as I have been with all of my Garmin products. It will be nice to use this with our 765T and 1490 in all 4 vehicles. For some reason lately I've been focusing on the few (in this case 40 out of 3000) negative user comments at amazon user reviews.⁉

Steve
  • Good luck! I'm more satisfied with the 10-10908 than I am with my Nuvis :lol:
  • lmacmil

I read a few reviews that mention the friction mounts loose their stickiness after a year or two??

Nothing sticky on the beanbag. Been using one with my SP 2610 for 4 years and will use it on my new 1350. Only downside of the beanbag is in a really hard stop (borderline panic or harder), the beanbag can slide off the dash. It's only happened to me once in 4 years but it's something to be aware of.
  • lmacmil said:

I read a few reviews that mention the friction mounts loose their stickiness after a year or two??

Nothing sticky on the beanbag. Been using one with my SP 2610 for 4 years and will use it on my new 1350. Only downside of the beanbag is in a really hard stop (borderline panic or harder), the beanbag can slide off the dash. It's only happened to me once in 4 years but it's something to be aware of.

If it's going to move at all during very hard braking the beanbag should move forward towards the windshield.
  • lmacmil

lmacmil said:

Only downside of the beanbag is in a really hard stop (borderline panic or harder), the beanbag can slide off the dash.

If it's going to move at all during very hard braking the beanbag should move forward towards the windshield.

Of course, but if it's too far away, how am I going to fiddle with it while I'm driving? :wink:
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!