This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon headed back to North America?

gatorguy 325 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
GPSTracklog has come across FCC docs indicating the Navigon 70 and 71 have met approval for the US market. It's only been about a year since they abruptly announced their abandonment of North America. While it's not a huge surprise that they might someday return to US storeshelves, asking for a welcome back this soon would be. FWIW, they set up a new US website a month or so ago, but at the time it was assumed it was for support of their smartphone apps. So are we about to see new pnd's from Navigon at Radio Shack sometime soon? It's looking like it's possible.

Comments

• I don't know if I can trust Navigon that quickly. I was among many who was waiting for the promised 7300T upgrade for my 7200T, which supposedly was already completed, but never materialized. They need to prove that they will be around for a while this time. My 7200T is still doing fine, so no complaints with their product. If they do come back with a GPS, I'm sure the reviews will be great, as they have always brought new innovations to the field.
  • I'd love to see Navigon get back to the US market, I'm leaning towards getting the Motorola TN765T, but if Navigon's making a comeback, I just might hold out.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I, for one, would certainly take another look at Navigon with the 70 series features:

• Tim 1480 Points
    Rich updated his post with this info from Navigon PR:
    wanted to clarify that we are not planning to launch new PND’s in the U.S. at this point. NAVIGON has reallocated its resources in the U.S. from the PND to the software business in the smartphone and automotive field. The reason why the NAVIGON 70 landed at the FCC is that we will have an AAFES version of this product in Germany for U.S. soldiers stationed there. Since the military bases in Germany are considered U.S. ground, our products need to go through the FCC.
  • booooooooo!!! I was getting all excited for nothing! Darn you Navigon!
  • Me too !! With Cydle's software and TTS revision now ready to be tested in the US and Navigon again out of the picture, I may give Cydle another try. Their routing was excellent in the short time I had the unit. At least we weren't waiting months for Navigon to give us the bad (?) news.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    You guys can always join the Army and just hope you get stationed in Germany so you can go to the PX and buy that Navigon. :roll: :roll: :lol:
  • I knew it. Like I said...Navigon = Belgian Waffle! :lol:

Shame though - they do have SWEET units for Europe.
  • i'd love to have navigon come back to the US market. puchased a 2100max well after their departure and use it more than my nuvi 850.
  • WEll, this just confirms the opinion I got after spending many hours trying to get my Q2 2010 Maps from Fresh Maps.
    All I could find seemed to be IPhone & Android apps. THe real pisser is I gave up on the Down load approach & bought the Map Update from Amazon.
    After I activated it I tied to download the Maps but all I get is "Invalid Client" & "MobileMap not found". Since that I have gotten "No Memory Card found, please insert SD Card" on my 2120 Max.
    The packaging on the Update never mentioned Smart Phone Only Maps or anything else.
    While I have activated the Fresh Maps I was never able to Download ANYTHING. Amazon will refund the price when I return the Activation Card.
    Although there are FAQ's & Contact us on the Site I have NEVER recieved a single response from Navigon TEch Support. Shove it Navigon, I'm buying a Tom-Tom.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    edited August 2010
    Maybe take a look at the Motorola Motonav TN765t. Lots of old Navigone users went that way.
  • THanks, I'll take a look at it. I was previously burned by Magellan when I switched to Navigon. THey shipped 2 year old maps & never updated them. It was killed by a falling Picture. I took that as an omen & bought something new rather than replacing it with another Magellan. Same Problem diffferent company. Empty promises & no follow through.