Can I plan my own route on a Nuvi 1350? 255W?
  • Hello, I seem to be having a heck of a time with this questions and hope somebody can help. Links or a simple "nope" is fine, I'm sure than answer is our there somewhere but I've looked and can't seem to find it.

I'd like to be able to lay out a route on google maps (or similar) and then have the nuvi guide me on that route turn-by-turn. I have no problems getting destinations sent to my nuvi...but it plans its own route. Sometimes I want to plan a different route. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks😃

Joe
  • alanb
    Nope. 😃 You can't import routes on the 13xx series. You would need to upgrade to a 14xx to get that capability.
  • Boyd
    Sorry, your model does not support custom routes. You need a 5x0, 7x5, 8x5, 14x0, 16x0 or 37x0 series Nuvi for that. The 295 is an oddball and also has the feature.
  • Thanks for the info, no wonder I haven't been able to do it😉

Can I ask a followup? The reason I want to do this is for bike (bicycle) riding. I know there is the 305/605/705 but is a nuvi model cheaper and just as good for routing? It doesn't need to be super accurate because I'm running a garmin 500 anyway...but there are some organized rides that are 200/300/400/600 kilometers and getting those "bonus miles" when you miss a turn on the que sheet really irritate the hell out of you LOL😃 Plus there is the whole "I've been out here for 15 hours and can't think straight" issue....so somebody telling me when to turn would be most appreciated too😃

Thanks again😃

Joe
  • Boyd
    Not familiar with those "edge" models, but a drawback on the Nuvi will be very limited battery life.
  • They have these really cool dynamo hubs that power your lights and electronic gizmos too. But maybe just getting a 705 or whatever would be best. I sure like my 500, it's great but doesn't have any mapping capabilities....except you can upload "where you've been"....which is nice but I need a bit of help with "where are you going" LOL😃

Joe
  • Hamguy
    Joe-

It might be a lot of hassle, but you could click various points on the GPS map, on the route you want to take, and set them as via points. That's what I have to do when my nuvi 265WT routes me the wrong way. :wink:

Gary
  • Upacreek
    I created a route in Mapquest and exported it to my 765. It was successful and I was able to then import the route from the file. However, it seems to have only the start and end points. I did manipulate the route in Mapquest to the way I wanted it, so in effect I created waypoints or vias, but they either didn't come over from Mapquest or the 765 doesn't recognize them. If I look at the route as if I was going to reorder the points it shows only the start and end points. Is this normal? Doesn't seem very useful if the waypoints don't get included.
  • nutcase
    I believe that when using Mapquest, you have to go back and choose "Make it a route stop" for each of your waypoints so that they get transferred as "Via" points when you send the route to your nuvi.
  • Upacreek
    nutcase said:

I believe that when using Mapquest, you have to go back and choose "Make it a route stop" for each of your waypoints so that they get transferred as "Via" points when you send the route to your nuvi.

I will give that a try. Thanks.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!