The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

leaving a nuvi in the car, plugged in, all the time?

Just got a nuvi 1450T. I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to use it whenever I'm in the car, and avoid having my windows smashed.

My plan is to do the following:

(1) Keep the 1450 attached to a friction beanbag mount all the time.
(2) Keep the charger/GTM25 plugged into the 1450 and plugged into the power socket all the time. (Power socket is inside the center console.)
(3) When I leave the car, throw the whole thing in the center console.
(4) When I enter the car, throw the whole thing back on the dash.

Are there any problems with this plan? Will the thing keep charging once the car is off? Will my car battery end up drained? (do these things depend on what kind of car I have?)

I know it isn't great for the nuvi's battery to keep it charging all the time, but I'll probably bring the 1450 inside if it's really warm out or if I need to attach it to the computer for whatever reason. Also, if I only plan to use it plugged in, then it doesn't really matter if the battery dies soon. (Right?)

Also, if it's plugged into the power socket all the time, do I need to turn it off when I turn the car off? Or will it turn on/off automatically along with the car?

Any ideas?

Thanks, and apologies if this is a repeat post.

Comments

• SergZak 216 Points
    How your lighter socket works will answer most of your questions...

If the socket is switched on/off with the ignition, the unit will power on with the ignition. When the ignition is turned off, the unit will power off automatically after the ignition is switched off. You'll get a prompt when external power is lost asking if you want to shut down in 30 seconds or continue to run the unit from battery power. The unit will NOT charge if the socket is switched on/off with the ignition. The unit does indeed charge while running but this may not be enough of a charge to keep the battery fully charged *if you make very short trips*. Medium/long trips should keep the battery topped off.

If the socket is NOT switched on/off with the ignition (the socket is always on), you'll have to manually power on/off with the nuvi's power switch. If you power the unit off in this case, the battery will charge/continue to charge until it's unplugged from the socket.
  • sentient 0 Points
    Ah, thanks, that is really helpful.

Ok, checked out my car manual, and the front socket only works when the ignition is on.

The console socket "can be used regardless of the position of the ignition switch." And, "to prevent discharging of the battery, do not use the socket for long periods with the engine off or idling." Uh oh.
    If the socket is NOT switched on/off with the ignition (the socket is always on), you'll have to manually power on/off with the nuvi's power switch. If you power the unit off in this case, the battery will charge/continue to charge until it's unplugged from the socket.
    So, if I want to keep the nuvi plugged into the center console socket, even turning off the nuvi won't prevent it from continuing to charge... Well, crap.

Looks like I'm going to need a new plan...
  • rschissler 31 Points
    Why not just unplug it from the cigarette lighter?

If you are worried about thieves, I'd worry about a thief looking into your car and seeing a cord plugged in and then seeing that it goes to the glove box. "Hmmm...I wonder if there is a GPS in the glove box where that cord is coming from? Maybe I"ll smash the windows and see."
  • Why not just unplug it from the cigarette lighter?

If you are worried about thieves, I'd worry about a thief looking into your car and seeing a cord plugged in and then seeing that it goes to the glove box. "Hmmm...I wonder if there is a GPS in the glove box where that cord is coming from? Maybe I"ll smash the windows and see."

He clearly stated that the socket is inside the console. and when he leaves the vehicle he would stow the Nuvi and mount inside the console, therefore nothing would be visible. I do the same in some of my vehicles.

(2) Keep the charger/GTM25 plugged into the 1450 and plugged into the power socket all the time. (Power socket is inside the center console.)

(3) When I leave the car, throw the whole thing in the center console.
  • sentient 0 Points
    Yeah, the point of using the center console was to avoid a visible cord.

I wonder if I can convert the center console socket or find a switch for it or something. I know it'll just be 20 extra seconds to power off the device and pull the plug, but I really want this to be as close to built in nav as possible. (In terms of ease and frequency of use.)
  • pilotart 0 Points
    Ah, thanks, that is really helpful.

Ok, checked out my car manual, and the front socket only works when the ignition is on.

The console socket "can be used regardless of the position of the ignition switch." And, "to prevent discharging of the battery, do not use the socket for long periods with the engine off or idling." Uh oh.
    So, if I want to keep the nuvi plugged into the center console socket, even turning off the nuvi won't prevent it from continuing to charge... Well, crap.

Looks like I'm going to need a new plan...
    As long as you are driving at least four trips of ten miles or more a week, your Nuvi would never run your auto's battery down.

Current draw when it is on would be less than 1/4 Amp from your 12 Volt Battery and most car batteries will provide a 1 Amp draw safely for more than 24 hours.

When it is off, it will draw less while it is charging its internal battery, but your Nuvi will not continue to charge after the battery is charged, that would ruin the battery, so it has a 'smart' charging program to prevent overcharge. I would think that the draw with unit off would be much less than a 1/10 of an Amp from your car's battery.
  • The best solution is to either rewire the socket into a switched leg of the fuse box or add an additional accessory socket (available at most auto parts stores). Using one of those switched adapters will require you to turn it on or off every time you enter or leave the vehicle.
  • pilotart 0 Points
    At the Buss Fuse display at your local Auto Parts Store, you will find a "mini Add-A-Line" (Cat. No. BP-HHH) for $6.49.

This inserts into any 10 Amp or less existing fuse and adds a second fuse and 12 Volt 'pigtale' to power an additional Cigar Lighter female 'Jack' to plug your Nuvi into.

For my Auto, you have a choice of 'Circuits' to select from, some are 'Hot' all the time, some turn on/off with ignition and some turn on with door unlock and then remain on a 20 minute timer after door is locked again.

The critical factors in adding a 'GPS' line in this manner, is to be sure and include the Cigar Lighter Plug that came with the Nuvi and get the polarity correct.

This steps the Automobile 12 Volts down to the 5 Volts needed by the Nuvi and if one were to wire the Nuvi directly to the auto fuse box without the cig-plug.... <<<poof>>> and it would smell bad and never work again.
  • bighank 0 Points
    If you want to ruin your nuvi battery leave it plugged in all the time.
    Just replaced the "NOT REPLACEABLE ACCORDING TO GARMIN" battery in a 765t less than a year old. Saw other posts here on this forum on how to do this in about 5 minutes. Batteries on fleebay including the #5 torx wrench to remove the 2 screws in the case as well as a plastic tool to pry the case apart without causing damage to the nivi.
    Unplug it or switch it off to avoid this step