This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

how much better is Sirf chipset?

redwood 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
What are the areas considered fringe such that the sirf chipset is better?

I need coverage in the metropolitan Los Angeles area.

Would I see a difference from the 12 or 14 channel receivers?

thanks

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    The more channels a GPS receiver has, the faster it can initially acquire a signal and the stronger the signal received will be in "fringe" areas. Fringe areas are areas where you have an obstructed view of the sky such as in a deep canyon, under dense foliage, or at the base of extremely tall buildings.

You would likely see a difference between a 12 and 20 channel receiver, however that is not so say you would necessarily have poor performance with a 12 channel receiver. I have a 12 channel receiver hard wired into my car and it has never lost its position in fringe areas.
  • I appreciate the advice on the number of channels given above.
    One other requirement could be a deal breaker for me:

A screen larger than 3.5" which is - so I assume - the diagonal measurement. Or is 3.5" sufficiently clear for someone in his seventies?

I understand that the Tom Tom 910 has a 4" screen. Are there any others of that size?

If a model has Google Earth map-like features, how would that be indicated in the specs? 3-D? Or some other term?

Thanks!
  • Tim 1480 Points
    A 3.5 inch screen is sufficient for most people. Yes, it is measured diagonally. The Garmin Nuvi 660 also comes with a widescreen.

I'm not sure what you mean by Google Earth map-like features. Can you be more specific? Google Earth has lots of features. :)
  • Sorry, Tim, it's also called "birdseye view" or "satellite images".

It seems that only a few select models have that feature.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    There is only one GPS in existence right now that offers satellite images, and it isn't a GPS that offers auto/road routing.

Virtually every GPS designed for auto/road navigation offers a "3D view" or a "birds eye view" so I rarely mention that feature since virtually all of them sold now offer it.