Create optimal route in Mapsource?
  • alokeprasad
    Can I use Mapsource to automatically re-order my via-points to create an optimal (shortest time) route?

I use a 855 and I think that I can do that on the unit. I'd rather do this in Mapsource and transfer the route to the 855.

Aloke Prasad
  • nutcase
    I just looked through MapSource and BaseCamp and it seems that neither can automatically re-order the stops to create a "shortest time" or "shortest distance" route....The best you can do is re-order the points manually.
  • alokeprasad
    I created a route in Mapsource, downloaded it to the 855, optimized it on the 855 and re-uploaded it to Mapsource.

That seems to be the only way to optimize the routing in Mapsource. Let your device do the optimization.

My guess is that because Garmin uses the optimization as a feature on higher priced devices, they don't want just any user to get the ability to do optimization in Mapsource.
  • pilotart
    You have more Routing options to choose from on your MapSource than your Nuvi.

Under Edit select Preferences then open Routing Tab, now you will see that in addition to Faster/Shorter, you have a slider scale to favor minor roads or highways. Open "Driving Speeds" and you can specify speeds to be usd for various types of roads when calculating driving times.

Vehicle drop-down menu allows selection of Pedestrian, car/motorcycle, bus, truck, taxi, emergency, delivery or bicycle.

Under Advanced, you can select areas or roads to avoid in route calculations.

After a route is created, open Route Properties and if you have 'Via' points, you can use the yellow arrows on left side to move highlighted points in the route up or down to change the order of the route.
  • alokeprasad
    Can Mapsource re-order the via points automatically to the shortest time or shortest route choices?
  • nutcase

Can Mapsource re-order the via points automatically to the shortest time or shortest route choices?

I thought I answered this in my first reply above:
    nutcase said:

t seems that neither [MapSource nor BaseCamp] can automatically re-order the stops....The best you can do is re-order the points manually.

As you have discovered, your 855 is capable of optimizing the route -- i.e. you tell your 855 every place you want to go and then tell it to find the "best" way (based on your route preferences) to get everywhere on the list -- but neither MapSource nor BaseCamp have this feature.

Also note: When you create a route in MapSource and transfer it to the nuvi, you aren't actually sending all of the turn-by-turn directions. Instead, MapSource sends the start, via, and end points to the nuvi. The nuvi then uses the preferences you've set in the nuvi to figure out how to get you to all of those points in the order they're listed. So the final route in the nuvi isn't necessarily the same route you created in MapSource.

Although MapSource will not optimize the order of via points for a "shortest distance" or "fastest time" route, it can change the route it takes to get from a to b to c if you change your preferences ("Edit | Preferences | Routing", choose "Faster Time" or "Shorter Distance", or change your choices in "Try to Avoid") then select the route and choose "Recalculate Route". NOTE: This will not change the order of points, just how to get from one to the next. ALSO NOTE: The "turn-by-turn" directions will not be sent to the nuvi, only the locations and order of the start, via, and end points (see note above).

To optimize the route in MapSource, you have to manually re-order the points on the route: Choose a route; choose "Route Properties"; click a via point; click the up or down arrow to move it up or down the route; click "Recalculate".
  • alokeprasad
    Since Mapsource sends only the start, end, and via point locations to the Nuvii, not the actual route, that makes Mapsource a useless way of planning routes. The Nuvii do their own route generation anyway. So all those choices in Mapsource about faster vs shorter, minor roads vs highways, driving seed selection ... does not matter a bit to the Nuvii which will do their own route generation.

I use Mapsource now only for ease of data entry (compared to entering addresses on the Nuvi.)
  • pilotart
    I most definitely prefer to use MapSource to plan a trip and then make sure to use enough via points to assure that my Nuvi 755 will have to 'plan' to use that route.

You just use the "Pointer" Arrow on MapSources Route to 'grab' the route line and add Via points.

It is very important that they are on the correct side of a divided roadway.

Now, the caution on via points is that if you then do not drive over one, your Nuvi will never give up on trying to route you back over that via point. The solution for this is to select Custom Routes and highlight the top (current) route and then remove that via point.
  • alokeprasad
    I have often wished that there was an easier way (than editing the route) while driving to skip the current waypoint (that the Nuvi is taking me to) and proceed to the next waypoint.
  • larelr2003

Since Mapsource sends only the start, end, and via point locations to the Nuvii, not the actual route, that makes Mapsource a useless way of planning routes. The Nuvii do their own route generation anyway. So all those choices in Mapsource about faster vs shorter, minor roads vs highways, driving seed selection ... does not matter a bit to the Nuvii which will do their own route generation.

I use Mapsource now only for ease of data entry (compared to entering addresses on the Nuvi.)

MapSource sends a route EXACTLY as created to my Nuvi 750. So more than just the start, end and via points are sent. The Nuvi WILL change the route to its own preferences if it recalculates which it will only do if invoked manually or automatically when a deviation from the route occurs while navigating. In the latter case, only the "current" route is changed and the original route can simply be reloaded. Of course, as mentioned the liberal use of waypoints minimizes the chances of route changes occurring on recalculation. Unlike my Nuvi, Zumo users can turn off automatic recalculation which makes it even easier to deal with MapSource created custom routes.
  • alanb
    I thought all nuvi's recalculated the route on the "Import Route from File" step. My 755T and 855 do it that way anyway. It usually calculates the same route as Mapsource depending on the vias and preferences, but not always. I have never used a 750, so maybe it works differently.
  • larelr2003
    The 750 CALCULATES (not REcalculates) a route upon import. Maybe the other models work the same? This distinction may not be of much significance to most but it can be taken advantage of if one wishes, which I usually don't. For my long trips I may have 50 or more custom routes stored on my Nuvi in advance (created in one or more large MapSource files, saved in .gpx format and copied to the Nuvi's GPX subdirectory). Since these routes are all originally created in MapSource, I intentionally manually recalculate them all on the Nuvi and review before heading out to avoid rude surprises later on when minor route deviations force automatic recalculation. Sometimes the differences are inconsequential. Other times they matter (and may be hundreds of miles down the road and not immediately noticeable while navigating) and I add extra waypoints/vias to address.
  • alanb
    Calculate or recalculate ... I guess the point is that on import the nuvi may calculate a different route than Mapsource did even though it contains the same reference points (start, finish, vias and stops). It is good to know the 750 works the same way.
  • larelr2003
    alanb said:

Calculate or recalculate ... I guess the point is that on import the nuvi may calculate a different route than Mapsource did even though it contains the same reference points (start, finish, vias and stops). It is good to know the 750 works the same way.

No, on import the 750 (and others?) does NOT calculate a different route than MapSource. It will only change the route if a RECALCULATION occurs later.

On edit:word "later" added.
  • alokeprasad
    How can you be so sure about that? If you observe the route to be the same initially, that could be the likely coincidence that Mapsource and the Nuvi happened to generate the same route.

One test would be to set a different set of default avoidance's on the Nuvi than on Mapsource. Then, it is more likely that the routes generated on the Mapsource will differ from that you see on the Nuvi after transferring the roue to it (and before forcing a re-calculation on the Nuvi).
  • t923347
    I assume your talking about Mapsource and not Mapquest?
  • turboccc
    Hi all,

If I get the topic right, you want to optimize a route between a bunch of POI.

Extra_POI_Editor can optimize a route based on POIs. If you have a list of POI, import it in EPE or enter them manually using the interface. Once done, use the function "Sort by Best Route" in the Tools menu. It will sort all the POI in the editor starting from the one currently selected.

Recap:

1- Import a GPX with all POIs to visit (or enter them manually in EPE)
    2- Select the first POI you want to visit (or enter a POI with your current starting location and hightlight it)
    3- Tools - Sort by Best Route. Wait a bit. If you have 100's of POI, this may take a while. Be reasonable...😃
    4- Now, all POI are sorted by DRIVING distance (not bird distance) from the selected POI. You can view also all the ordered POI on the map (View All POI on Map). You can save back your GPS file or directly call MapSource with the POIs in the editor and ask MapSource to draw the route.

Extra_POI_editor can be found here:

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor
  • alokeprasad
    t923347 said:

I assume your talking about Mapsource and not Mapquest?

Yes. I edited the msg to reflect that.
    Aloke
  • alokeprasad
    turboccc said:

Hi all,

If I get the topic right, you want to optimize a route between a bunch of POI.

Extra_POI_Editor can optimize a route based on POIs. If you have a list of POI, import it in EPE or enter them manually using the interface. Once done, use the function "Sort by Best Route" in the Tools menu. It will sort all the POI in the editor starting from the one currently selected.

Recap:

1- Import a GPX with all POIs to visit (or enter them manually in EPE)
    2- Select the first POI you want to visit (or enter a POI with your current starting location and hightlight it)
    3- Tools - Sort by Best Route. Wait a bit. If you have 100's of POI, this may take a while. Be reasonable...😃
    4- Now, all POI are sorted by DRIVING distance (not bird distance) from the selected POI. You can view also all the ordered POI on the map (View All POI on Map). You can save back your GPS file or directly call MapSource with the POIs in the editor and ask MapSource to draw the route.

Extra_POI_editor can be found here:

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor

Wow. Did you write your own route optimization software, using speed limits, avoidances etc? Which maps do you use for that?

Won't the Nuvi recalculate the route anyway after Mapsource (or whatever other software) passes the POI list to it?

Aloke
  • turboccc
    Hi aloke,

No, I do not base my calculation on driving time, but on driving distance. Using the driving time is an interesting idea, I should make the required change and use it instead. I use Google Maps to get the required information.

Right now, I look at all the POI and select the POI closer to the starting POI. Then I do the same with the remaining POI by comparing driving distance from the second POI. And so on... This is not 100% optimum, but it has produced very good results so far.

After that, you can go in MapSource, select all POI (which are now in order) and trace a route. MapSource will not change the POI order (I think), but the route between the segments may be different from the one in Google Maps. Hoperfully, the differences should be small.
  • alokeprasad
    Cool. The traveling salesman was a difficult problem as taught in the college classes..

Back to the recent discussion: However one generates the route in your software, when the "route" is transferred to the Nuvi, only the POI locations and sequence gets transferred to it. The Nuvi will re-calculate the actual driving route on importation.

At least, that's the conventional wisdom here (with larelr2003 as an exception).

So, the only way is to pepper the route with numerous POI, keeping in mind that the Nuvi will force you to drive through (or close to) the actual POI coordinates for all the POI's.
  • turboccc
    Note: I can add avoidance like tolls ans highways.

As for the route, I understand that it may be changed by the GPS depending how it is set (fastest route, shortest route). Google Maps seems to be using Fastest Route.
  • larelr2003
    I sent the following PM to alokeprasad because I thought our conversation was veering of topic, but he suggests its relevant.

Hi, our conversation is a little off the OP's topic so I will send a private message. I played around with the 750 a lot when I first got it and did the avoid test among others. The avoid test is a really good one because my 750 doesn't do avoids. Notwithstanding that, a MapSource route using avoids transfers exactly as created upon import. However, the Nuvi will change the route by not recognizing the avoid (s) when a recalculation occurs. The change can be quite drastic as you can appreciate.

Another interesting test is to use Poni Killer on a Mapsource route so vias will not be announced on the Nuvi. The modified MapSource route will transfer totally intact and can be navigated as such and vias will not be announced. However, upon recalculation, the Nuvi will produce a new route as if the via points do not exist. Again a drastic difference. The ability to import a route intact is especially useful on a Zumo since automatic recalculation can be turned off. That means the route being navigated will never change unless it is manually recalculated. So Zumo owners can make real good use of the Poni Killer. We can do it too if we are willing to reload the route after a recalculation (since only the "current" route is changed).

I understand that “routes” sent from some other applications (I’ve forgot which ones) send only the beginning, end and intermediate waypoints/vias but MapSource sends an intact route with all routing information. I have no experience with other series Nuvi models which handle routes but would be a bit surprised if some did not work the same way as my 750.

Some information on Poni Killer (which unflags via points so they won’t be announced while navigating) can be found at the following link. There’s a lot of good information on the Zumo forum site but you will have to register and log in first.

http://garminzumo.wikispaces.com/Modifications
  • Boyd
    Thanks for all the info, but please see our policy regarding links, specifically:

URL Shortening Services: Links using URL shortening services (such as tinyURL) are prohibited without prior approval. They prevent people from making informed decisions about where the link goes before clicking on it. Unfortunately, these links are often used disguise the true destination of the link, often linking to malware sites or including affiliate tags. This requires more time for moderators to determine the true destination of the link.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/16778/x/p1/
  • larelr2003
    The deleted shortened link was just to the Zumo Forums. Easy to find on search.
  • alanb
    It would be wonderful if you could create a route with custom avoids in Mapsource and have those avoids preserved when the route is transferred to the nuvi. Every time I have tried this with my 755T, I lose the custom avoids on the "Import Route from File" step. When it calculates and saves the route, the custom avoids are gone. So if you are getting this to work, I must be doing something wrong or missing a step somewhere along the way.
  • larelr2003
    It's been a while since I played with this particular issue so I just created a route with 5 custom avoidances in MapSource. I applied the avoidances incrementally till there were a total of 5 in play at once and, each time I added a new avoidance, I transferred the route to my Nuvi 750. The imported routes on the 750 exactly matched the routes in MapSource every time.

When I import a route, the 750 first displays “calculating” with a corresponding % and then shows "Data successfully imported". I then go to routes and select the one I'm interested in. The 750’s own preferences have nothing to do with the configuration of the route at this point. The Nuvi simply builds the route according to the detailed routing instructions it receives from the MapSource file. BUT if I edit the route and recalculate it, the Nuvi will then produce a revised route that is formulated only in accordance with the Nuvi’s set preferences. Since innately my 750 does not accommodate custom avoids at all, a recalculation will produce a new route that no longer recognizes any of the custom avoids produced in MapSource. The new route will be very different from the original route. Perhaps Garmin changed how this works with your 755T.

The ability of my 750 (and the other 7x0 models, I presume) to import custom routes exactly as created in MapSource would be a lot more useful if I could turn off automatic recalculation like on the Zumo. But, and though a bit more cumbersome, reloading the original route will work too when an automatic recalculation changes things because, as noted before, a recalculation only affects the “current” route and not the original route stored in the Nuvi’s import area.
  • Tim
    Just because those routes didn't change doesn't mean that every route wouldn't change. For example I've got a 760, which should be running almost exactly the same software, and I can confirm that some of the routes I import from MapSource do not match when activated on the 760.
  • alanb
    OK, here is a simple route I created on Mapsource .... Cedar Rapids to Des Moines Iowa. It will route I-380 South and I-80 West. Then I create an avoid at the intersection of I-380 and I-80 near Iowa City, forcing it to use some county roads and other highways to bypass the interchange. When I transfer this route to my 755T (Import route from file and save as a custom route), then display the map of the route, the avoid is no longer preserved ... it shows using the I-380/I-80 interchange. What am I missing?
  • pilotart
    Don't think that the MapSource includes "Avoids" in its transfer.

Let MapSource do the route with the Avoid and then carefully add one or more Via Point along that avoid route.

Zoom in to be sure that you accurately place vias on correct side of divided highways and not close to any intersections.

If you don't go right over a via point, your Nuvi will never give up on trying to route you back to it, you must then 'remove' the via point.
  • alanb
    I agree pilotart. My experience is that only start, finish and waypoints get transferred and the nuvi calculates its own route without the avoids. My question was directed to larelr2003, who says he can preserve the avoids when transferring to his 750. I am trying to find out how that is accomplished without putting in additional via's to force the same route as the avoid would create.
  • larelr2003
    MapSource does indeed include voids (and I believe all other detailed routing instructions) in its transfer, otherwise upon import my 750 would not accurately reflect all the avoids that I create in MapSource. But what happens after the transfer may differ with the different Nuvi models. The routes on my 750 stay true to the MapSource created originals until a recalculation on the Nuvi itself takes place. After hundreds of routes over the last 2 1/2 years (covering a large part of the US and Canada) I have yet to see a single route that differed on import. Not saying it can never happen. Just that I have never seen it. And this hold true for every convoluted route I have tried to concoct for experiment. I wonder if the traffic function on those models so equipped causes the Nuvi to undertake an automatic recalculation at the time of import which would, of course, result in the Nuvi producing a route in accordance with its own preferences and the loss of any unique MapSource parameters.

In any event, the issue is more a technical rather than a practical one, since the Nuvi’s automatic route recalculation feature greatly diminishes the ability to take advantage of it.
  • larelr2003
    Alanb, I created your route in MapSource, added the avoid at the intersection of I-380 and I-80 near Iowa City and transferred the route to my 750. The first photo below shows the route as imported in the Nuvi. The avoid is recognized (note different alternate routes from yours may be shown because of the size of the avoid I created). The second photo shows the same route after being recalculated on the Nuvi. Avoid is not recognized after recalculation.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4126/4844410306_47f739bf2e.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/4843792203_84c79bd917.jpg

I don’t think you are missing anything. Your 755T must just handle this stuff differently.

If following a route exactly as created in MapSource is important one might consider getting a Zumo model.

Here’s a link to another forum where this issue was discussed a bit.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113759
  • alanb
    Thanks for testing my sample route with the avoid on your 750. I just tried it again on my 755T to see if something has changed with recent firmware. But, as before I lose the avoid on import from Mapsource. Just out of curiosity, did you take the test route strait from Mapsource to the nuvi, or did you run it past the Poni Killer program first?
  • nutcase
    This whole discussion made me curious so I did a little digging.

I added an "avoidance" in MapSource (an interchange ramp that's closed for the next two years) and created a route that would typically use it. MapSource dutifully found a way around and I transferred that route to my 765 which, when I went to "Tools | My Data | Import Route from File | (select route) | Import", the 765 promptly said "Calculating route", then "Data imported successfully".

The route the 765 calculated ignored the "Avoidance" that I'd set in MapSource.

I decided to take a look at the GPX file that MapSource had sent to the nuvi. That file included not only the start and end points but also another 194 lat/long entries between them (on a 10 mile route).

A page on Garmin's website (http://developer.garmin.com/web-device/garmin-mass-storage-mode-devices/) shows that these elements are included "to ensure that a route generated with a Garmin application or with a Garmin Mass Storage Device can be shared with another Garmin Mass Storage device and still represent the exact same desired path."

So, MapSource is in fact transferring all the pieces to ensure that a route it creates is available as created to any device that it's transferred to. It appears to be up to the software on the device to determine whether to actually pay attention to the information it has been provided.

Apparently, the 7x0 does pay attention to the in-between points while the 7x5 just ignores everything that isn't an actual "Waypoint".
  • larelr2003
    Straight from MapSource. Yes Poni killer would kill the flags on any extra vias I may have added but none were added. Someone might suggest I used "shortest route" to create the first route but I didn't do that either. I actually increased the size of the avoid to cover the first set of alternate routes as well and that created a much different route that also transferred to the Nuvi intact. Interesting that the resulting route was even shorter than the first alternate route but longer in time. Again even the route with 5 avoids I mentioned earlier transferred intact. I have created some unbelievably round about and circular routes in the past to check this stuff and every time the route would get transferred and imported in the Nuvi exactly like MapSource. If I get a chance I will transfer a route with an avoid, open Temp.gpx (which contains the transferred information on the Nuvi) with a file editor and compare with the gpx file saved from MapSource. I don't know if the two files will be exactly the same but one should be able to see that all the detailed routing information is indeed transferred to the Nuvi. I think I did this before but it’s been a while. Whoops.... I see that nutcase beat me to this!
  • alanb
    I had done the same Nutcase and I too noted the additional routepoints in the Mapsource GPX file that defined the avoidance path. I notice that the points that are not start, finish or waypoints are bracketed with <gpxx:Subclass> </gpxx:Subclass> tags, where the waypoints do not have these tags. Also, the whole section is bracketed by <gpxx:RoutePointExtension><extensions> </gpxx:RoutePointExtension></extensions>.

I am not an XML programmer, but it could be that the 7x5 series nuvi's don't recognize these tags. I may do some editing of the GPX file and experiment ... just for grins.
  • alokeprasad
    I think that the whole Nuvi line is so diverse and fractured by now that no generalizations can be made about their behavior!
  • I took advantage of the Gold Box sale on Amazon and bought a Nuvi 855. I've been using an HP Rx 5915 for the last 6 or so years and it's time to move up. Here's my problem: I pull a camper from York, Pa to Rehobath, De. Now I have a new (to me) wife. :lol: She gets lost going to the mailbox. I set my start point here at home and the end point by address and let the 855 have at it. It gave me a route that I've never seen or thought of in the 15 years I've been going to Rehobath, an impratical going to Baltimore around the "suicide circle", etc route. I then went to MapSource and did my route my way, mostly a back road to interstate to interstate to Rehobath. Great. I then sent it to the 855 and to the SD card as back up. I then imported the file. Ta-Daa new favorite! I loaded the favorite and guess what....go to Baltimore around the "suicide circle" ????
    I tried adding via points and now have 15 favorites - going to the via points individually?? How can I get the route I want to the 855. How do I completely remove the favorites that I don't want anymore (I did the 'my data, remove favorites, etc., but they come back later)
    Thanks.
  • SergZak
    Pawizard said:

It gave me a route that I've never seen or thought of in the 15 years I've been going to Rehobath, an impratical going to Baltimore around the "suicide circle", etc route.

First thing to check on the GPS when you're getting "odd" routes would be your avoidances. Tools>Settings>Navigation>Avoidances. If an item is checkmarked, it will be avoided. Deselect the checkmark box to clear the avoidance. Also verify your other avoidances as well such as toll roads.

Also verify the route type...you can choose from Faster Time, Shorter Distance & Off Road.

Also see: http://www.gpsreview.net/gps-route-types/
  • alanb
    How did you import the route from Mapquest? Did you use My Data - Import route from file? You said your import showed up in Favorites. It should be in Custom Routes if you did it right.

Another pointer ... In Mapquest, you have to make your via points "Stops" in order for them to transfer in the route. Right click on each via in Mapquest and select "Make via a stop" (or something like that). It has been a while since I used Mapquest, but last time I tried, I had to switch to the "Classic" version to get a route to transfer. I don't know if they have fixed that yet with the new Mapquest interface.
  • SergZak
    Alan, I believe Pawizard used MapSource and not MapQuest.
  • alanb
    Sorry ... the old eyes are getting unreliable ... somehow I read Mapquest. Thanks for correcting me Sergzak.

But my one point is still worth checking even for Mapsource ... the imported route should show up in Custom Routes if it was transferred correctly.
  • Thanks to all so far. During the last 12 hours, I have done most of the suggestions. Fastest took me to Baltimore, Shortest took me east between Lancaster and Philadelphia. the route I want is right between the two. What I haven't seen is "Custom Route" anywhere on my 855. When I import the file, it puts everything into Favorites. If I use via points with or without them being stops, they become new routes in favorites- all of them individually. I've deleted them and when I turn the unit back on, they're baaacckk.
    In 30 minutes or so, I go to the eye doctor to start the main reason I wanted this to work. I will be having eye surgery soon (not today) and will be blind for a while. I'm not crazy about her driving skills and without a route I know, the camper will be unattended for a fairly long time.
    Why can't I use the route I've created in MapSource? I guess the 855 redoes the route according to it's own will.
  • alanb
    You should find Custom Routes in Where To - Routes. Are you sure you are creating and saving a route in Mapsource and not just a list of favorites? How are you transferring the route from Mapsource to the nuvi? Are you doing the final step on the nuvi of My Data - Import Route from file?
  • Yes. I opened MapSource and played with it some to figure a few thing out including sending and receiving waypoints and routes. I created a new route and used different ways to create my route, several versions actually using a new tool each time. Then I saved the route which was named by Mapsource and reopened the route and sent it to my device and sometimes to my 'O drive' which is the SD card. I imported data from file on the 855 and it put the new route into favorites. Occassionally, I would find a route under routes, but it was something already in favorites. When I used where to and went to favorites and opened any particular one, it would show the route as the same route it originally found through Baltimore on it's own.
    This is driving me crazy. I thought GPS's had come a long way since my last one, but apparently not.
    One other question while I'm thinking about it. As an example, we found a corn stand that sold great corn. On my old gps, there was no way to mark that spot. Is there a way to do that and maybe rename it Corn Stand on the 855. I just got the unit yesterday and I haven't slept much trying to get this custom route thing to work. My 1st trip with it will be to Rehobath this weekend. I don't think it will 'learn' the route I will be taking any more than she will. :?
  • alanb
    I will answer your second question first. To save your current location as a favorite ... touch your car icon, then "Save Location". Or an alternate way to get there - Menu - Tools - Where am I - Save Location.

It sounds to me like you are not doing the final step on route import. Routes do not show up in Favorites. Only locations show up in Favorites. On your nuvi, go to Tools - My Data - Import Route from file. Your route(s) you transferred from Mapsource should be listed by name. Select the one you want to import and save it. Then go back to the menu ... Where To - Routes. Your newly saved route should be listed. Select it and click Go
  • Boyd
    I think you are still confused... sorry. Routes cannot appear under favorites. Favorites are just single points on the map (aka "waypoints"). So if you are seeing a "route" in your favorites, it's only the destination.

If you actually create a route in mapsource with your own via points and send it to the Nuvi, you must import it as already discussed here. To properly send the route to the Nuvi, connect it to your computer and use Transfer > Send To Device. Make sure you have checked the "routes" box, and make sure that Mapsource has identified your Nuvi on the dropdown menu in the dialog box.
  • This issue was all covered on July 27-29 in this thread - Nuvi 7x5 and 8x5 series recalculate routes from point to point when they are imported, earlier models (e.g. all StreetPilots, Nuvi 7x0) use the route exactly as sent by MapSource. That's the main reason I've recently bought a second-hand 760 and a never-been-used StreetPilot 7200. If you want the route exactly as you planned it, you have to go 'retro'.
  • Boyd
    True, but no matter how you model works, you won't find routes listed under your favorites.... 😃
  • Thank you all. Ultimately, this unit may not do the one thing I would like it to do, but it appears to satisfy the rest of my wants. I'll know more after my jaunt this weekend. I have a few things to try from the information I've been given here. I did not know about the 'favorites' being only the end point. I thought it was a memorized route if you will. So I'll continue to try things although not as obssesively as before. I might go look for the 7200 just to see it. I vaguely remember something about it, but that's another story.
    My doctor's appointment went well, on another note and surgery is not immenent, but coming.
    Thanks

Michael
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!